September 5, 2008

The Weeklies #52

The Weekly Major Milestone. This is the fifty-second installment of The Weeklies which means I've been doing this for a year. That's bizarre. It seems like I just started doing this!

The Weekly Time Waster. Make sushi!

The Weekly Read. I'll confess, I'm up for a bad horror novel every now and then. Bentley Little is one of my favorites. He writes two kids of books. The first is just straight horror and, frankly, coming from him they don't do much for me. The second is a little stranger. He takes an institution and makes it creepily evil. Like, in The Association, a homeowner's association became militant and just plain evil in some really strange ways. I just finished The Academy, in which a charter school becomes the evil plaything of an evil former educator. Yeah. Sounds silly. And it is, honestly. But the books Little writes in which he takes the benign and turns it evil are strangely compelling to me. The Academy was no different.

The Weekly Music. Well, I didn't listen to much but Owen did learn how to play the guitar. Granted, his methods are a bit unconventional but it sure does sound, uh, interesting.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Can we just talk for a minute about Sarah Palin's pregnant kid? I didn't mention it yesterday because frankly its a non-issue politically as far as I'm concerned. What gets me is the fact that the same commentators - Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, etc - who blasted Lynne Spears for being a terrible parent after Jamie Lynn got knocked up are out there telling the world that it's no big deal in Palin's case. Stupid double standards.

The Weekly Not So Hypothetical. As I mentioned, I've been doing The Weeklies for a year. Should I keep it up? How can I make it better? Or is it already brilliantly perfect?

Posted by Chris at September 5, 2008 6:44 AM
Comments

It's already brilliantly perfect!!! Keep the Weeklies!!! (Pretty please?)

Posted by: ironic1 at September 5, 2008 7:21 AM

Blindingly, brilliantly perfect. Don't quit now! There's still so much schadenfreude to document for posterity.

Posted by: Caleal at September 5, 2008 7:33 AM

Keep going please. Weekly worst or best thing eaten would be cool.

And I am enjoying Owen's Jimi Hendrix homage there.

Posted by: Loth at September 5, 2008 7:40 AM

Oh no, don't stop! Love the weeklies!!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 5, 2008 7:46 AM

Keep the weeklies. I love 'em.

And I'm on track with Owen! Even though I managed to somehow keep my mouth off my guitar, I learned to play Twinkle Twinkle yesterday. I'm so badass.

Posted by: sarah at September 5, 2008 8:07 AM

I'd like to see a weekly picture...doesn't have to be of the kids or anything...you just have an awesome visual perspective!

Posted by: Michelle at September 5, 2008 8:30 AM

I LOVE the weeklies! I have some discovered some great music and books from your weeklies and always get a chuckle at the Schadenfreude!

Posted by: Lisa at September 5, 2008 8:48 AM

the daily show had the best bit about all the latest double standards... loved it!

Posted by: kati at September 5, 2008 8:48 AM

Please keep doing it...i tried to copy and failed, maybe in 09 ill try again!! As for Palin's kid, its not a double standard. I believe the media went after Lynn Spears because Britney was a complete mess and it looked like Jamie Lynn was following the same path...thats 2 kids who seem to have been raised poorly. Palin, its one kid and her others ones are fine. And so what, she's knocked up, it happens, its not like shes some crack whore...

Posted by: Darren at September 5, 2008 8:54 AM

Its brilliantly perfect. I look forward to the recap every Friday. Please keep it up.

Thanks

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 5, 2008 9:01 AM

Nah, Quit before your head blows up from pompous, arrogant, self righteousness. It seems your life has been wrecked anyways, maybe call your buddy Nobama and he'll fix all.

Posted by: Jo at September 5, 2008 9:07 AM

Both sides are being hypocritical. Right now I'm actually more upset about the feminists who've been telling me for years I should stop wasting my degree on being a SAHM, now telling Palin that her perfectly competent stay at home husband isn't enough for her kids, they need a WOMAN at home. I'm 150% positive they wouldn't be saying this if she were on the Democratic ticket.

Posted by: Leah at September 5, 2008 9:57 AM

Your weeklies are great. Don't stop. It works for me as music and book recommendations. Thanks for your great posts!

Posted by: sarah at September 5, 2008 10:18 AM

52 weeks! A milestone. I posted my unusual holiday calendars for 2 years. Maybe you should do the same with the Weeklies.

Posted by: cassie-b at September 5, 2008 11:12 AM

Congrats on the year of weeklies! Still love the Monday Haiku, too. I had gotten some great music and book suggestions from here and I like your perspective on the schafenrude. Okay. I totally spelled that wrong, but I know what the word means at least!

And we never got an update on the first day of preschool. How did miss Mia do?

Posted by: k8 at September 5, 2008 11:17 AM

I think you should keep it up. The Weekly Schadenfreude makes me uncomfortable and I skip that part but everything else I really like, especially the book section and when you include photos of the children.

Posted by: patricia at September 5, 2008 11:23 AM

Brilliantly perfect. I might like to see a recommend to a blog you read every now and then. I so rarely have time to actually read a book that I miss out on most of those. And I like the way you think, so it'd be interesting to see who else you read. Congrats on the year!

Posted by: OS at September 5, 2008 11:26 AM

I agree with Michelle...as perfect as it is, your photography is incredible so maybe add a weekly photograph.

This one of Owen is absolutely adorable!

Happy Anniversary for the Weeklies!

Posted by: Krush at September 5, 2008 11:38 AM

Your son appears to be exhibiting signs of guitar brilliance. Many outstanding guitarists can pick an axe with their chompers - Hendrix, SRV, Buddy Guy

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at September 5, 2008 12:18 PM

Love the weeklies!

Oh - see - to me - it's not a non-issue politically. It's proof positive, along with the rising teen pregnancy rate, that abstinence-only education, which Sarah Palin supports, DOES NOT work. And it's another nail in her coffin, to me. To me - it really does matter. Not in the "oh, you are a horrible mother and therefore not fit to be VP" kinda way - but in the "one of your platforms and idealogies is failing to do what it is supposed to do. Lower teen pregnancy rates."

Posted by: Mindy at September 5, 2008 12:29 PM

I like the weeklies. You always have something in them that makes me smile!

Posted by: Lisa at September 5, 2008 12:31 PM

I like the weeklies!
Oh, and Owen is going to be the next (insert great guitar player here..all I can think of it Keith Urban who is pretty good himself), I can see it in his eyes!

Posted by: Dianna at September 5, 2008 12:31 PM

That sushi game kicked my ass.

Posted by: GreenCanary at September 5, 2008 1:39 PM

Like the weeklies.

Have to respectfully disagree about her pregnant daughter though. I think it perfectly illustrates the need for sex ed in the school system, to which Palin is adamantly opposed. I do not, however, think that's a reason to vilify either Palin or her daughter. It just shows a huge problem with a major plank in the social conservative platform.

The Rep were also against Hillary Clinton being a working mother. Guess that's okay now too.

Le Grand Sigh.

Posted by: Mandy at September 5, 2008 2:40 PM

Hm. I've never tasted guitar before. Do you think they're high in fiber?

Have a great weekend Cactus family!

Posted by: Tink at September 5, 2008 4:23 PM

You must continue The Weeklies - I love them. And I have to say that the Schadenfreude really is something else. You know that bad 90's song "Things that make you go hmmmm?" I feel like that should be the theme song for the GOP. I mean seriously what's up with that? I'm all for people wanting Barack to win, I know I do, but shouldn't the Republicans at least pretend to want to win?

Posted by: Cass at September 5, 2008 4:29 PM

brilliantly perfect

Posted by: Amaya at September 5, 2008 4:37 PM

I love the Weeklies! I hope you will continue with them.

Oh, and a huge BRAVO to your prior post "Won't Get Fooled Again". That was some inspired writing, my friend. It echoed, on so many levels, what's spinning around in my head.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: ie at September 5, 2008 5:06 PM

Most weeks I only know what day it is b/e of The Weeklies.

Also? Jimi Hendrix got pretty famous playing like that.

Posted by: kalisa at September 5, 2008 5:09 PM

It is already brilliantly perfect, honest. I especially look forward to reading your Friday posts...I am always amazed at how much you are able to read and listen to music, and the Schadenfreude is always a good one. I agree 100% - double standards galore....but they would never in a million years admit it...

Posted by: Danielle at September 5, 2008 7:53 PM

...............love it as is!!!

Posted by: Starfruit at September 5, 2008 10:25 PM

...............love it as is!!!

Posted by: Starfruit at September 5, 2008 10:25 PM

...............love it as is!!!

Posted by: Starfruit at September 5, 2008 10:38 PM

...............love it as is!!!

Posted by: Starfruit at September 5, 2008 10:38 PM

I have to agree with Darren on this one...he took the words right out of my mouth. There is quite a significant difference between the Spears and Palin families.

Posted by: Dana at September 5, 2008 11:39 PM

Keep the Weeklies! I believe they are an inspired form of literature which should continue in perpetuity. Wow... I hope I spelled perpetuity right and used it correctly in that sentence. Home from work. Friday. Brain turned off.

Posted by: BananaToo at September 5, 2008 11:43 PM

I have a question. I know that a lot of people keep saying something about her mom's abstinence only stance on sex-education, but do we know about the school that Bristol goes too?? What I mean to say is, what about the school is it abstinence only teach or do they have a sex-ed class?? Nowhere can I find this information. While it's nice to say "proof that abstinence only teaching doesn't work" well not really if we don't know for sure if she received any sex-ed classes in her school unless they are also opt-out classes as well. They were always required health classes in my school. Regardless I think it's really here nor there, girls who get sex-ed classes get pregnant too. It happened when I was in school and it's still happening, I am pretty sure no matter what it happens to a lot of families across the country.

Oh by the way Rush Limbaugh is an a**hole. Oh did I say that. Oopsie!

Posted by: Deirdre at September 6, 2008 7:06 AM

Keep doing the weeklies! I look forward to them!

Posted by: coolchick at September 6, 2008 8:51 AM

Hey Chris, check this out. Actual clips supporting your point about double standards. Dont know whether to laugh or cry. Feel free to post it if you want.

Posted by: Dee at September 6, 2008 10:06 AM

Just an f.y.i. for you...it really doesn't matter what you blather on about in entries whereby you post any photo of either or both of your gloriously beautiful children. I mean you could be telling me that any one of these hurricanes are outside my front door in Florida...I'd still be enthralled by your photo.

Posted by: Kristy at September 6, 2008 10:43 AM

Oh, Bentley Little. I read a few of his books a while ago and I thought they were horribly creepy. I just couldn't stop reading. I would even say evil in a way that creeped me out more than Stephen King.

Posted by: Colleen at September 6, 2008 11:39 PM