September 12, 2008

The Weeklies #53

The Weekly Preschool Update. It's better. After she gets over being away from her mom, Mia's supposedly enjoying herself. And she's certainly coming home happy. So, that's better.

The Weekly Weather Related Shout-Out To Folks In My Old Hood. For all of you reading from the Texas Gulf Coast including my old home town of Houston, stay safe.

The Weekly Read. A while back, I wrote about Marshall Karp's The Rabbit Factory. I said good things and ended up getting an email from Karp himself. We traded email a few times and he sent me his second book, Bloodthirsty. It too was good. We've continued to talk and trade email. In April, he'll be releasing his third novel, Flipping Out. Last week, Marshall sent me an advance copy. And I devoured it. The verdict? It's great. And I'm not just saying that because he's probably out there reading now and he's a really nice guy. What separates Karp's novels - mysteries, starring the LAPD detective team of Mike Lomax and Terry Biggs - from all the others out there is the fantastic mix of mystery, humor and heart. Flipping Out was no exception. If you're a fan of compelling mysteries with a great sense of humor, you'd be well-served to check out The Rabbit Factory and Bloodthirsty in anticipation of Flipping Out's release. If you've already read Karp's first two novels, well, I don't know what to tell you except the third is well worth the wait.

The Weekly Music. I've mentioned The Hold Steady about a billion times (okay, three) before. But their song Lord I'm Discouraged from their latest Stay Positive has to be one of the greatest rock ballads in modern history the likes of which we haven't seen since Guns N Roses last put out something palatable. It's a little moody, a little laid back, with a killer chorus and a guitar solo that gives Slash a run for his money. Plus, The Hold Steady is just an awesome band.

The Weekly Photo.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I think 911 was enough negativity for the week.

The Weekly Not-So-Hypothetical. Has anyone seen the new Microsoft commercial starring none other than Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates? If so, does anyone understand it?

Posted by Chris at September 12, 2008 6:49 AM
Comments

I *have* seen that commercial. WTH are they talking about??? My boyfriend is a tech guy too, and he has absolutely no clue.

Posted by: Kate at September 12, 2008 7:55 AM

I don't understand it either so I just laugh and nod knowingly!

Posted by: Jeff A at September 12, 2008 8:12 AM

Mia that doll...time flies.

and as far as the commercial. I too don't get, but watching bill gates "shift his shorts" is even odder.

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: crookedeyebrow at September 12, 2008 8:22 AM

First, woohoo on the weekly picture! ;-D
Second, I have seen that one and it's like "huh? what do shoes have to do with Microsoft?"
Third, have you seen the new commercial for Microsoft Mojave, which as it turns out is a sych job on users who hated Vista? That one I love!
Forth, I agree on the schadenfreude...

Posted by: Michelle at September 12, 2008 8:34 AM

OMG, I cannot wait for that book. I read it after you recommended it, traded a couple emails with Mr. Karp after I raved about the book on my blog and he could not be a nicer guy. Not to mention Lomax & Biggs rock. I'm green with envy that you got an advanced copy!

Posted by: Shelly at September 12, 2008 9:01 AM

Thanks for the shout out! We are hunkering down and getting ready to ride this sucker out!

Posted by: Debbie at September 12, 2008 9:02 AM

When my son first started a new daycare he freaked out for a few minutes each day but if you just give them a kiss and hand them off (sometimes still crying), they're out running around before you even hit the sidewalk - well mine was that way anyway!
I will go look for the The Rabbit Factory today because I just can't seem to get into any of the books I borrowed last week from the library (you'd think out of the six that I carefull chose there'd be ONE!)
Love the picture of Mia and,
do NOT understand the Microsoft commercial but it also has something to do with Vista which I do not like at all. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted by: NancyJak at September 12, 2008 9:07 AM

Yeah. I've seen it. Multiple times... it doesn't start making more sense the more your analyze it.

Posted by: Caleal at September 12, 2008 9:08 AM

I don't get that commercial either. Until now, I thought there was some inside joke that I wasn't getting.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 12, 2008 9:11 AM

Thanks for the well wishes. It is scary in Houston right now.

Posted by: Leticia at September 12, 2008 9:15 AM

Thanks for the well wishes. It is scary in Houston right now.

Posted by: Leticia at September 12, 2008 9:15 AM

I'm so glad someone else doesn't understand the Jerry Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial. The first time it came on I told Hoop, "We must have missed something. You know, the something that made that make sense?" Then we watched it again... and again... and I'm starting to wonder if there's an opening on the Microsoft advertising team. Because I'm pretty sure I know a three-year-old who could make better dribble.

Posted by: Tink at September 12, 2008 9:19 AM

Mia is such a beautiful child! I bet she'll love those photos when she's older. And her hair color is gorgeous. Kids are so lucky. They get hair that grown-ups have to pay hundreds of dollars to mimic! (Oh, the highlights!)

That Microsoft commercial is their attempt to be "cool" like Mac commercials are, and it totally fails. It's amusing, but it's definitely weird - and it leaves everyone asking "What the hell was that all about?" That's not a good result if you're in advertising. Someone was very misguided in their attempt to make a hip ad.

Posted by: Liberal Banana at September 12, 2008 9:19 AM

I was with the boys on Sunday and saw it during the football game. They all laughed and I felt dumb.

I saw it again twice that night, and still have no clue. I don't understand computers, and I have a hard time understanding both Jerry and Bill's accents for some reason.

Maybe I'm going tone deaf. Or just plain going stupid.

Posted by: lora at September 12, 2008 9:43 AM

A girl that wears red shoes? Yep, she's going to be alright!

Posted by: k8 at September 12, 2008 9:50 AM

I've not yet seen the commercial, but have heard of it several times. Now that YOU mention it, I'll go give it a search a shot and a show.

Beautiful flower you have there. Simply beautiful.

Posted by: whall at September 12, 2008 9:56 AM

Absolutely beautiful picture of the week! :)

Posted by: Hannah at September 12, 2008 10:01 AM

I don't get that commercial and I can't decide if the not getting it part is what makes it unfunny or just the entire fact that it exists. I was never into Seinfeld (I know, it's a crime).

Posted by: claire at September 12, 2008 10:02 AM

OMG, yes, I saw that commercial for the first time and I must say, after rewinding it twice, I still have no idea what they are getting at! When you get 'it' let us know! :)

Posted by: Leanne at September 12, 2008 10:13 AM

First, yes, everything you said about that song is absolutely true. Second, you have the prettiest little girl ever, and last, wrt the commercial, absolutely no idea.

Posted by: Kate at September 12, 2008 10:28 AM

The Hold Steady remind me a lot of the Counting Crows, only my favorite ever band. So yeah, I like them :)

Posted by: Candy at September 12, 2008 10:43 AM

I was thinking exactly the same thing about that commercial. Corndogs + Clown Shoe Store + Showering in your cloths = Clever Apple commercial. I think not.

Posted by: Cass at September 12, 2008 10:49 AM

I think that commercial is just an ad for microsoft. There's been so many good commercials put out by Mac totally trashing them that they are coming back with a funny nonsense advertisement. It doesn't have to make sense because it makes you laugh. That's it. No hidden secret agenda. Makes me think of Homer Simpson. Mmmmmm, tasty computer. *snickers*

Posted by: Shannon at September 12, 2008 10:56 AM

*ahem*

Mixtape.

*cachoo*

Posted by: Mr Lady at September 12, 2008 10:59 AM

I read both of the Karp novels on your recommendation and LOVED them. Can't wait for the new one!!!

Gorgeous photos. Those are really, really beautiful.

Posted by: lesley at September 12, 2008 11:51 AM

The first time I saw it I thought "WTF?" but then, I realized, wait...that was Seinfeld's whole schtick...the show about "nothing" So I'm thinking maybe they were trying to play off of that???

Posted by: Jill at September 12, 2008 11:56 AM

I haven't seen it.

(I don't know why I bothered commenting. :P Just to say hi? heh.)

Posted by: Heather at September 12, 2008 12:08 PM

Literally just finished watching it before I read this post. So seen it? Yes. Understand it? HELLZ NO!

Posted by: Shannon at September 12, 2008 1:18 PM

Saw the ad last night. No idea what it's supposed to be about. Two things I know: Seinfeld made a ship-load of money and Gates has an annoyingly large ass.

But that's just me.

Posted by: bhd at September 12, 2008 2:07 PM

Re: Gates and Seinfeld: I don't get it! That's a minute of my life I'm never getting back, and I hear there's another one out there. It might ALMOST make sense if Gates was still actually working for MS, but he's not. He retired! He was out! And it was big news, so it's not like no one knows about it. So confused!

Posted by: Dawn at September 12, 2008 2:32 PM

I usually comment on your wifes lovely blog, but I thought I would venture over here too sometimes! :) Yes, seen the commercial, nope, don't get it. At all. But the first time I saw it, I laughed and my husband was all "you actually get it?" Then I countered with "who wants cookies??" to change the subject before he figured me out...too late I might ad :)

Posted by: Krisitn at September 12, 2008 2:54 PM

Digging Mia's red, sparkly shoes.

Posted by: GreenCanary at September 12, 2008 3:41 PM

Cookie test.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at September 12, 2008 3:42 PM

I totally think that the Microsoft commercial is Microsoft trying to show their cool side, but with an actor who had a show on years ago so that the baby boomers (i.e. CFO's and CEO's) don't get swayed by their kids to buy a mac. "See! I'm still hip and relevant! A tech company is trying to market to me!"

But all we learn is that Bill's a better actor than Jerry...

Posted by: alektra at September 12, 2008 4:39 PM

That commercial is all I have been hearing about at my house...ugh. I'm guessing it's a half-assed attempt to be as cool as Apple and it's just flat and sad. Alektra's comment is hillarious, Bill's a better actor, hehe.

I'm going to check out those books. I love a good fast paced mystery novel every now and then.

Mia - wow, she's just stunning.

Posted by: Jen at September 12, 2008 9:33 PM

I told Gabe I didn't get the commercial and he rolled his eyes at me and said I wasn't paying attention.

I told him it didn't hold my interest.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at September 12, 2008 10:31 PM

Last Monday my boyfriend and I were having one of those clothed (so there is no suspicion of unmentioned TMI) TV watching snuggle evenings-
and this commercial came on-
and when it was over I raised my head off his chest
and he looked down at me-
and our faces said it all:
"What the F***?"
And if the IT nerds of the world don't get it...!

Posted by: Karen at September 12, 2008 10:49 PM

I thought I got it, but I thought it was just out of touch rich guys thinking they were being funny, which is not actually funny . . . am I wrong? Maybe I should watch it again.

Posted by: OS at September 13, 2008 2:06 AM

Nope, don't get the commercial at all. Love the sunflowers though, gorgeous!

Posted by: Dianna at September 15, 2008 11:31 AM

I haven't seen these, but everyone at work is talking about them. When I came to work at New Job, they said I needed to try to use a Mac. I've tried. I like them 1% more today than I did two months ago. And so, at my request, they are thinking of turning my Mac into a PC. (Apparently you can do that.) Every time this is brought up, though, people say that I am crazy, that such a transformation is sacrilegious, and then ask if I've seen those commercials. Evidently they're popular.

Posted by: Emily at September 17, 2008 2:11 PM