October 2, 2008

The Agenda

I've done this before but I've gotten a lot of questions, comments and emails asking me exactly how I manage to do all I do in a day. As much as I'd like to finally reveal that I am able to bend the space-time continuum at will, I have to do everything the old fashioned way. I reveal to you my average daily schedule.

450.jpg

Of course, the schedule may vary based on the day. I've been known, for instance, to hit the snooze button 27 times in a row until Beth punches me in the kidneys. Turns out that's a painful but effective way to get me out of bed.

So, how do I get stuff done? Looking at that, I still have no idea. Though I have decent time management skills, I can't manage to keep a to-do list or planner (beyond my calendar and flagged messages in my inbox) to save my life. I am, in that respect, organizationally challenged.

What do your days look like and how do you get things done?

Posted by Chris at October 2, 2008 7:08 AM
Comments

Honestly, it depends on the day. If it's M, W, or F the day is:

wake up (whenever - sometimes it's 5:30 sometimes it's 7... very rarely is it 7).
7:20 Neighbor's kid comes over to hang with my kid (I watch her so her parents can go to work)
7:20 - 8: making breakfast, packing lunches, signing homework, permission slips, whatever.
8:20: Princess and Friend out for the bus
8:30 - noon Hang with Pumpkin, run errands whatever
noon - lunch, chill out
12:30 - 2:30 (if i'm lucky) - Pumpkin naps, I work
2:30 - 4 - work, play with kiddo, wing it. Princess home on school bus at 4:15
Then dinner in there somewhere (I'm cooking - if i don't cook, we don't eat).
The evenings are a mishmash of catching up, goofing off, bathtimes til pumpkin goes to bed at 8 and Princess gets tucked in at 8:30.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are easier
same schedule until 8:30 - I then drop Pumpkin off at daycare. Stop at Starbucks for reinforcements and come home and WORK all day (unless it's Thursday, in which case I stop for guitar lesson at 1:30). head out to pick up Pumpkin after the school bus drops off The Princess.

Doesn't look like much but my days are full... it's insane. But, I make it work.

Posted by: Sarah at October 2, 2008 8:04 AM

All I want to know is, how do you stay up until 11:30? I get up at 5:30, too, and if I'm not in bed by 10 PM I'm nearly unable to get out of bed in the morning!

Posted by: Alissa at October 2, 2008 8:16 AM

What? No Jon Stewart between 11 and 11:30

Posted by: William at October 2, 2008 8:18 AM

You need greater nutritional skills, Mr Cactus. Your lunch sucks :P I bet if you got some protein and a complex carbohydrate in there you wouldn't be quite as tired at the end of the day. (Not that I follow my own advice or anything, but there ya go.)
My day?
3-4-5-6-7am - try to sleep
sometimes I do, sometimes I don't
10ish - get up (not so much sleeping in when it's three hours away from sleepy time :P)
shower, breakfast, blogs
classes
reading
homework
homework
dinner
waste time
read
read for fun
try to sleep
try to sleep
die.
:P

Posted by: Heather at October 2, 2008 8:27 AM

My days are crazy -- I try to cram as much as possible into my lunch hour. Luckily for me, I live 7 minutes from my office so I have the ability to run all around town and drop things off at home, if need be.

On weeks I'm not up to or able to run around while working, I save it for the weekend.

Posted by: Robyn at October 2, 2008 8:38 AM

5am alarm goes off, hit snooze, get up take pill go back to bed, continue to hit snooze until 5:33a
5:33-6:15 drink coffee, read book or knit, watch news and/or ESPN
6:15-6:55 eat breakfast, read the paper, read email, read blogs
6:55-7:45 work out
7:45-8 hop back on computer to read blogs not up previously (usually yours)
8-8:45 shower, dress get ready for day
9:00-10:20 work in office, bank, whatever, has to be done there
10:20-2:10 lunch lady at elementary school-five lunch waves of herding cats-I mean Kids!-cleaning tables, picking up and delivering supplies to classrooms
2:15-5p depending on what day it is, this time is either spent back in my office, visiting with my "little brother" (BBBS)in first grade, visiting my father and then volunteering at the public library or grocery shopping.
5-10pm collapse because my feet are killing me, cooking, cleaning up, watching tv, washing clothes, knitting, reading.

Posted by: NancyJak at October 2, 2008 8:48 AM

6 am - wake up with herd of dogs.

6:15 - stumble into kitchen and make coffee

6:17 - walk all four dogs in yard, while trying to avoid, aheam, certain things as I walk.

6:30 - have first cup of coffee watch news.

7:00 - turn on computer, read mail, drink coffee (otherwise known as life's blood!) and then read my bloglines.

8:00 - make breakfast. Hubby's is a regular, mine is a diet one.

9:00 - clean up breakfast, make bed, shower.

10:00 - make attempts at doing something that resembles housework.

Then every hour on the hour let the German Shepherd in and out. The dachshunds are not so demanding.

Noon - lunch.

1:00 - guilty pleasure, All My Children! (shhh, don't tell!)

2:00 iron, or pretend to clean, etc.

4:00 - start dinner. I'm a great cook and often this means I must spend one to two hours cooking.

5:00 - feed the herd of dogs!

7:00 - finish cleaning up kitchen.

8:00 - maybe some TV or a movie

9:30 BED

Looking at this, Chris, makes me weep with boredom!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 2, 2008 8:52 AM

5am SNOOZE
5:15 Really pissed off to be awake, shower, dress, makeup, hair, etc.
6:30 Make lunch for Chicken, watch weather
7 Fight with Chicken for her to wake up
7:15 Get her ready for school, feed her
7:45 She's off to the sitters before school starts, I'm off to work
7:50 Get my Tim Hortons fix
8:00 Arrive at work
8-5 Work, work, work, no breaks, no lunch, luckily I can smoke in my office
5:30 Pick Chicken up from Latch Key
6:00 Home, give cranky child a snack
6:15-7 Help with homework, prepare dinner
7-7:30 Chicken is in the shower, I would like to get something done but every ten seconds I hear "MOMMY! Look at this!"
7:30-8 Watch some stupid show with Chicken on Disney
8 Chicken reads to me
8:30 Chicken is asleep
8:30-9:30 workout
9:30-1am (sometimes later, I have major insomnia right now) Laundry, dishes, cleaning, bills, freaking the fuck out because, OH MY GOD, SLEEP WOULD BE NICE!, emails, blog reading, pissed off at anyone I know who might be asleep

Lather, rinse, repeat the next day and the next day and the next day.

Posted by: js at October 2, 2008 10:00 AM

4:30am get up and dressed, make coffee, have light brkfast and go to gym.
5-5:15ish arrive at gym and proceed to have my @ss handed to me.
6:00am Go home, sweaty and tired but oddly gratified at having survived
6:15 am get home. Plan to get in shower. Fight off advances from sleepy hubby... sometimes say, heck with it and gladly give in. ;-)
6:30 am get out of shower, get dried, throw robe on and help hubby get kids up. Kiddo on auto pilot, The girl needs diaper change and clothes changed. Hubby takes care of brkfst and kids and getting himself ready. I spend time running aorund like mad ironing clothes, getting dressed and beautifying myself, making our bed, cleaning up brkfst dishes, bla bla bla...
7:20 am Hubby is long gone and I pile kids into van and drive them to school and work respectively.
8:10am I'm at work. And the barrage starts. Emails, meetings, etc. Spend the morning with all of that.
10am finally settle in to MY work (document controls, space management bla bla bla).
10:15 someone runs up with an emergency.
10:15- whenever, fixing the emergency.
11:45 am facilitate meeting, set up resources, catering, necessary literature and job aids etc.
12 pm eat at my desk and look at news, email; also proofreading proposals, or drafting reports.
1pm call and arrange flu shot clinic, or other seasonal event (AED/CPR training, office social event, etc).
2pm ASD/Doc Mgmt meeting with my team to go over pending project issues, process changes, redirect team where needed, status archiving and closures.
3p - 4:30 p Work on my reports, proposals, archiving, invoicing, other oversight duties as necessary, while giving anyone that comes by the evil eye as this is MY time to catch up on MY work.
4:30p to 5p Address space mgmnt issues, make list of facilities needs
5p -5:15 Try to make list of pending items, have a general framework of following day, all the while sighing at how fruitless it is.
5:15p run out the door to pick up kids
6p Home... who's turn is it to make dinner? Laundry, and other assorted chores, help kiddo with homework, help The Girl color her "homework".
6:30 eat dinner/glass of wine
7pm clean kitchen, more laundry, other chores, play catch with kids if time allows
7:30is showers for both kids
8pm ish bedtime and stories
8:30pm ish kids are tucked in, fold laundry while watching TV
9pm ish take note of chores still to be done for the week, any pending paperwork, bills etc
sometimes watch more TV, or go over to my neighbors to sit on her stoop, drink wine and try to unwind.
10:30 collapse exhausted into bed, marvelling at how I managed to run the better part of the day in heels, and why I never get a chance to change out of my work clothes when I get home.

Repeat.

I'm tired.

Posted by: varinia at October 2, 2008 10:21 AM

That's a pretty tough schedule. I think you could use a day stretcher. If I find one, I'll let you know.

My days are easy now, but I remember very clearly having a schedule much like yours. One big difference is that I live only 8 miles from work (where I used to work) so I didn't have as much time to get overly annoyed at the traffic.

I didn't see any guitar or reading time in there,

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at October 2, 2008 10:27 AM

I shall steal a line from the movie "the women"...

I get things done with the help of pharmaceuticals. ;)

Posted by: Holly at October 2, 2008 10:43 AM

05:20 : Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
05:30 : Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
05:40 : Unless I have to wash my hair, then I get up. Otherwise...Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
05:50 : Up. Shower. Dry off. (Dry hair). Deodorant. Lotions. Dress. Change top. Sigh. Change pants. Sign. Change entirely.
6:25 : Consume Yakult (probiotics little shot) and gummy vitamin. Pack lunch. Out the door.
6:35 : Park. Walk to bus stop. Chat with bus mates.
06:50 : Board bus. Nap.
07:30 : Walk into building. (Occasionally there's a stop at Starbucks first.) Check personal email. Read blogs. Blog.
08:00 : Start work by checking email and reading the news. Do media report. Take occasional break by checking on Twitter. I'm soooo ADD...
10:00 : Hunt for mid morning snack.
12:00 : Lunch.
13:00 : Back to work.
17:00 : Pack up. Pit stop. Wait for bus.
17:20 : Board bus. Nap.
18:15 : Exit bus. Drive home.

Details from this point varies from day to day. I could be going to my dance class on Monday or dinner with my girls on Thursday. I could be going to the grocery store and make dinner, or we'd go get food, or we'd order food. We could be watching TIVO'ed shows, DVD of Avatar: The Last Air Bender, or play Castle Crashers on the X-Box. He could be playing his Warhammer or World of Warcraft, and I would be blogging, paying bills, balancing accounts, etc.

Posted by: oakley at October 2, 2008 10:44 AM

Dude ... pencil in sex.

Knot

Posted by: Knot at October 2, 2008 10:58 AM

I need more sleep than that. Seriously more sleep.

Posted by: k8 at October 2, 2008 11:04 AM

oh. my. god. I just typed out my schedule and my 2 year old walked up and hit something on my laptop and exited out of my browser. Going to cry now. 15 minutes of my life have been wasted. She rules my day, followed closely by the 7 year old girl that resides here too :) I need a nap....

Posted by: Kristin at October 2, 2008 11:21 AM

When I had a job I ate chips and soda for lunch as many days as I could stand it. Lunch of Champions! :D

Posted by: Poppy at October 2, 2008 11:44 AM

Shockingly similar schedules excpet mine involves getting The Boy fed in the AM, lunches packed, dropped off at pre-school at 730 and work from 8-430, if its's a good day and I'm on time. And The Boy doesn't got to sleep till 9. And I apparently need to schedule more beer time.

Posted by: rebecca at October 2, 2008 11:50 AM

I am TOTALLY impressed. I certainly could not make it on six hours of sleep though.

Posted by: Heather at October 2, 2008 12:18 PM

My day consists of bending the space time continuum so that I actually am sleeping while at the office and no one knows it.

Posted by: jessica at October 2, 2008 12:26 PM

I just put everything off until it's a crisis, and then make sure I only deal with crisises all the time.

Like now. I haven't commented on your blog in ages. IT'S A CRISIS! SO I COMMENT NOW!

Ok, time to go eat. Cuz I'm hungry. IT'S A CRISIS! SO I EAT NOW!

No, I'm not stressed. I was recently, but then I got a massage because I was like, STRESSED! IT'S A CRISIS! SO I GET MASSAGED NOW!

Posted by: whall at October 2, 2008 12:39 PM

How in the world do you surive on 6 hours of sleep a night? Dude. I'd be a walking zombie.

Posted by: Mindy at October 2, 2008 1:02 PM

Your days are jam-packed, as are mine (slightly differently, though still packed)... I still don't get it. You've got to have a cosmic worm hole or be bending that time-space continuum without knowing.... Here's me:

6:00 AM -- Alarm goes off, hit snooze until about 6:20 or 6:30
6:30 -- out of bed, smooth the covers over my side, wash face, brush teeth
6:40 -- head downstairs for breakfast, check weather / news / blogs, wash hair.
7:00 -- head back upstairs to style hair, apply minimal make-up (hide the dark circles under eyes), get dressed
7:40 -- back downstairs to assemble coffee (add sugar and creamer) and throw into travel mug
7:50 -- pull out of the driveway and hope the traffic through town isn't too bad.
8:00 -- curse at stupid drivers that always end up in front of me.
8:15 -- arrive at work, drag ass into school building, check mailbox.
8:20-8:30 -- stop to BS with coworkers on my way down to my room.
8:30-8:45 -- boot up computer, check any voice mails, check any papers or notes left on my desk.
8:45-8:55 -- bus duty. Try not to get run over by ankle biters.
9:00-11:00 -- run around between the three 4th grade classrooms and provide support for any kids needing assistance with math and/or language arts.
11:00-11:40 -- planning period, which means I finally get to eat a snack and use the restroom.
11:40-1:00 -- kids come to me for 'Homework Intervention" during their recess. Basically, I baby-sit while they do the work they didn't do at home or in class. Occasionally, though, I do get to help a kid figure something out. That's kinda cool.
1:00-1:30 -- shove lunch down my throat and make another bathroom run.
1:30-3:15 -- Run around 5th grade classrooms providing support for kids with language arts issues.
3:20 -- run like hell to get out of the building before the busses leave.

After that, it's Jazzercise, stop at the grocery store for incidentals, come home and make supper, clean up, shower, read the newspaper, check some blogs, watch a few minutes of TV, and try to get my ass in bed before 11:00. I might even get a page or two of a book read.

What am I going to do when I have kids?!?!?? Anyway, I'm still jealous of all that you're able to accomplish in one day!

Posted by: ironic1 at October 2, 2008 1:27 PM

4:45 am: wake up and get dressed (yes I usually shower at night)
5:00 am: get in vehicle
5:15 am: pay toll (curse tolls)
5:16 am: start flipping stations stopping occasionally to listen to a song I like
5:45 am: stop at WAAF to listen to my favorite morning program when they finally get their asses into work
6:00 am: arrive at work, open office turn on lights, curse the world for the fact I have to drive this far to work
6:05 am: boot computer
6:15 am: finally computer is booted
7:30 am: rest of office comes in and I greet them, usually with grunts
12:30 pm: lunchtime, usually a very nutritious lunch, but sometimes it may include something not so good for me
3:30 pm: pack up desk and leave work
3:45 pm: commute home and curse all the traffic
4:30 pm: arrive home
4:50 pm: change into workout clothing
5:22 pm: leave the house for the gym
5:28 pm: curse people that block roads to sit at a red light so I cannot turn up the street
5:45 pm: arrive at gym
6:00 pm: Boxing/Kickboxing depending on the day
7:15 pm: sweaty and smelly leave gym
7:30 pm: shower
7:40 pm: sit in chair exhausted
8:00 pm: mix protein shake and drink slowly
8:00-10pm: watch tv droned out and exhausted
10:00 pm: bedtime at the same tmie EVERYNIGHT to start the whole mess over again

Posted by: Dee at October 2, 2008 2:20 PM

6:00-ish Baby wakes up; husband feeds & puts back to bed while I read New Yorker
7:30 Wake up and make husband's lunch, eat breakfast, wash and prepare baby's bottles
8:30 Baby up; bottle & games
10:00 Baby down (with any luck); wash yesterday's dishes and scan internet, email
11:00 Baby up; bottle, games, walk, story
2:00 Baby down (with any luck); chore for the day (Thursday is laundry), lunch
3:00 Writing and/or goofing off
4:00 Baby up; bottle, offer solids, playpen while I make dinner (or procrastinate by writing this post)
5:30 Hubby is home! Baby happy! Debrief on our day
6:00 Dinner & cleanup while hubby plays with baby
7:00 Baby's bedtime routine -- my turn today b/c husband has online class (learning Cherokee!)
8:00 Baby's asleep (with any luck); hubby and I hang out and mock VP candidates
9:00 Email friends, read
10:00 Hubby and I retire to the bedroom =)

Posted by: Laura at October 2, 2008 6:02 PM

I have no fricken idea how I get things done...let alone have the energy to make that list...it'd be way too long.

Did you see the debate tonite? I watched only the first 15minutes...then some little person that lives with me would not fall asleep that easily until 10 more stories were read.

Posted by: Gabriella at October 2, 2008 10:59 PM

12:00 Lay in bed wishing I could sleep
1:30 Give up hope of falling asleep, find something to drink and shower
2:15 Head to the bus stop
2:32 Board the subway, curse MTA
3:30 Arrive at the office, turn on PC, get coffeee and juice, cull through email, and handle requests
7:00 Greet my assistant, review department's activities for the day
7:30 Work on projects
8:30 Deal with *sshat attorneys with the galloping stupids
9:30 Meetings
11:00 Put out fires
12:30 Deal with *sshat attorneys with the galloping stupids
1:00 Try to work on projects, but interrupted by *sshat attorneys with the galloping stupids
3:00 Meeting
4:00-4:30 Leave the office
5:30-6:00 Arrive home, greet the dogs
6:00-8:00 Feed the dogs, find dinner, work on or play with my laptop
8:00-12:00 Watch TV, sleep some but more likely curse insomnia

Posted by: Maria at October 3, 2008 8:01 AM

So thats ur secret!! Waking up at an unearthly hour and managing on only 6 hrs of night sleep. I would be a zombie if I followed your schedule, but then, I do not get as much done in a week as you do either....

Posted by: NM at October 4, 2008 12:05 AM

ugh, I know that this is going to be depressing.

4:45 alarm goes off
4:55 drag myself out of bed
5:00 shower, etc.
5:20 do the girly makeup and hair thing
5:45 wake up oldest
5:55 drag still sleeping oldest out of bed and sit her on the potty, dress her cranky, squirmy, pissed off body and fix hair
6:00 wake and dress youngest
6:10 feed them cereal, pack diaper bag, find lunch
6:25 take kids to wake sleeping husband, say goodbye for the day
6:45 arrive at sitters, drop off kids
6:55 head to work
7:15 arrive at work
7:20 brace for impact as students arrive
7:25 hibernate in classroom unless I procrastinated on making copies
7:50 1st hour starts
***4 minutes to run to the bathroom, get a drink
8:41 2nd hour
9:32 3rd hour
10:23 4th hour
11:14 lunch
11:37 5th hour (start wondering what I've forgotten as I teach the same thing for the 5th time)
12:28 6th hour
1:19 7th hour
2:10 study hall/club
2:45 kids exit the building, commence shut down sequence
3:30 leave to pick up kids
4:00 return home, feed snacks to kids, play outside, go to park, general playing mayhem
4:45 Occupational therapist arrives to work with younest
5:30 start dinner
6:30 Chris comes home
6:40 eat dinner
7:00 dishes or give kids bath
7:30 youngest goes to bed, play with oldest
8:00 oldest goes to bed
8:15 pass out on couch
8:30 feel guilty....must continue to be productive, likely fold some laundry
8:45 read or sketch or check emails
10:00 watch Daily Show
10:15 fall asleep on couch
10:45 wake up to sounds of Stephen Colbert hollering on the TV
11:00 stumble around getting clothes ready for next day and go to bed.

Do I get things done? Not really anything to speak of, no. ;)

Posted by: Jen at October 7, 2008 2:01 PM

Wow...an hour commute in the morning and an hour fifteen in the evening? Major suckage...

Posted by: Zandria at October 7, 2008 8:59 PM