October 27, 2008

Plop Plop Fizz Fizz

On Friday whilst at work I began feeling icky (the medical term). I shouldn't have been surprised or anything since half my office has been wiped out by the Great Crud of Fall 2008. It was just a matter of time. But still, it sucked. On Friday night I gave up playing it cool and started taking cold medicine (which, yes, I know doesn't really do a damn thing but it made me feel better at least mentally).

I woke up on Saturday feeling as though I'd been hit by a small car. Maybe a Honda or Toyota. Something compact. The day was rainy, windy and cool so I didn't feel like I was exactly missing anything by staying at home sniffling wallowing in my own illness. Some of it was kinda nice. I mean, I fell asleep on the couch not once or twice but three times. I made good headway on a John Sandford book but accomplished almost nothing else.

On Sunday, I was awakened by Mia climbing into bed with me, wrapping her arms around my neck. It was wonderful except it did force me awake and into the realization that despite the early hour neither Beth nor Owen were in bed. I found them in the guest room. Apparently my cold-induced snoring (who am I kidding - I snore all the time) woke Owen up and he kept crawling over to poke around inside my mouth. Instead of a small car, I felt like I'd been run over by a Mack truck but I'd promised Mia doughnuts and doughnuts I delivered. (Thank the baby jesus for drive-through doughnut places, by the way. I hope whoever thought that up won a Nobel Prize for Pastry or something.) Once everyone was awake, we headed to a local pumpkin patch to take a hayride, find some pumpkins and play in an enormous vat of corn. Seriously.

Anyway, we ran through corn, hitched a hayride, raided the pumpkin field for carvable pumpkins then returned home for lunch and naps which neither child took us up on. Of course, I fell asleep on the couch again, sadly for only about three minutes. The rest of the day was spent coughing and carving pumpkins. And somewhere around 8:00 I faded. I don't completely remember the rest of the evening. So let's just assume it was spent mostly comatose.

I'm not 100% this morning. Maybe only, like, 70%. Anyway, I'm working from home today and I plan on penciling in as much relaxation as I can.

What did you do this weekend? And have you been hit by the Fall Ick yet?

Posted by Chris at October 27, 2008 8:22 AM
Comments

So sorry to hear you're sick, Chris. I hope you are at 100% soon.

I hit the exhaustion wall on Friday, so I did very little this weekend. Laundry, light cooking, and lounging. I'll work about 15 hours today and will be off the rest of the week. I hope to do as little as possible.

Beautiful family you have there. The panoramic photo of Mia is great.

Posted by: Maria at October 27, 2008 8:39 AM

I spent most of the weekend being a moody little baby, so I'll hush about that.

Fortunately, I haven't gotten hit TOO hard with fall crud - just tiny bits here and there - once my 3 year old started daycare/preschool though, she has been catching EVERYTHING... I imagine, though, that I'll get it right around CHristmas. That's when I always get hit with sick.

Posted by: Sarah at October 27, 2008 8:39 AM

The entire clan & I went to a wedding Sat, dressing up 4 small people & myself was great fun not to mention spending roughly 12 hrs in heels but overall it was stupendous.

Sunday was spent recovering and folding/ironing/putting away a gazillion tons of laundry into the wee hours.

Luckily no Ick for me as of yet and I prefer to keep it that way so uhm......could you breathe over that way & not on me? ;)

Posted by: Kris at October 27, 2008 9:01 AM

I knew it. I went on at 7-7:30 to check on your weekend and there was nothing! I said to myself (since no one else was around) "Chris must be sick!"
Fear and panic ran through my blood and then I said, "Well at least he has Beth and the kids to take care of him".
Feel better soon Cactus!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 27, 2008 9:02 AM

Wow! Hope you are feeling better!

I havent had the 'ick' yet this fall, though.. I've had the 'pre ick' (which is also a medical term) where I get a cough one day, good for a few days then the runny nose another day, then another few good days, after that I get the aches and pains.

The Little Dude on the other hand has been coughing something nasty for 10 days. How are your Little Kiddies, feeling better?

Posted by: Leanne at October 27, 2008 9:42 AM

Yep, I sound like Barry White today.

Posted by: Brad at October 27, 2008 10:13 AM

This is my third time trying to comment. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong.

I hope you're feeling better.

We had a very busy, but nice weekend, topped off with an old fashioned train ride through the woods (3 hours) to enjoy the autumn leaves. While at the station, I noticed that they also have a wine and cheese train outing, which I think we'll look into.

Again, I hope you're feeling much better, and that you didn't manage to share your ickiness (sp?) with anyone in your family.

Cas
Nice pictures!

Posted by: cassie-b at October 27, 2008 10:13 AM

I spent last week studying for a midterm that I had on Saturday AM...I KNOW a crime against humanity. Due to the aforementioned midterm, I missed seeing Minus the Bear for the 3rd time in a row.

Either someone is cosmically trying to tell me something or I'm just not allowed to have fun.

At any rate, the reward for all of my review was a midterm about as difficult as solving the economy.

Eff it! I spent the rest of my weekend drinking coffee, listening to podcasts and being angry.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JackassJimmy at October 27, 2008 10:35 AM

I believe in ye olden tymes, people swore that a romp through the corn vat would 'always cure whatever ails ye', so, y'know...just give it time.

They're dispensing flu shots here at the hospital at which I cure cancer. I find it fascinating that most people that work at hospitals (at least the MD and PhD ilk) tend to steer clear of these shots. It's a dormant strain of the flu that they inject and while it's biologically impossible to catch the flu from it (it basically shows a picture of the flu virus to your immune system and says, 'If you see this guy, beat the shit out of him'), I always end up getting sick after one. So, unless I get beaten and dragged to the needle, I think I'm going to resist the poke and take my chances with the Ick.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at October 27, 2008 10:45 AM

we skipped right over fall ick and entered winter blahs. we had SNOW this week. insanity.

Posted by: ali at October 27, 2008 10:51 AM

I woke up with it. I.Am.Not.Happy.

Posted by: k8 at October 27, 2008 10:58 AM

No Fall Ick in Southern California because we are still in the summer. 85F predicted high today. 27th of October. OCTOBER. 85F. Nuf said.

However, I'm all ick'ed because of my flu shot. My first ever. So far, really sore arm, general energyless-ness, and a mild headache. I might just survive this.

Posted by: oakley at October 27, 2008 11:02 AM

sounds like a wonderful weekend, minus the cold. i love pumpkin patch visits. adorable pics. :D

our weekend was crammed full...saturday was lunch with the family then the Lion King musical (there aren't words to describe that amazingness) and dinner with my mom followed by crazy cleaning to prepare for Sunday. Sunday was a birthday breakfast
for my mom at our house with my brother and his family. Then a marathon hockey afternoon and laundry. lots of laundry.

and unfortunately yes, I've had the fall nasties. I had a 4 day fever and it about killed me.

Posted by: jen at October 27, 2008 1:16 PM

So did you do corn angels? (Like snow angels) I went to a corn maze Friday night and we had to do them!

Posted by: Heather at October 27, 2008 1:20 PM

Sorry to hear that you are under the weather. :(

I had the "ick" on Sunday and spent pretty much the whole day sleeping. I am feeling better today so I am thinking it was not the "real fall sickness" that has been going around at work. Mine was a 24 hr thing.

Take care of yourself and get well soon :)

Jewels

Posted by: Julie Andel at October 27, 2008 1:53 PM

We went to a college football game and for the rest of it, I was taking care of my son (cold) and my husband (flu), all the while, still harboring a cough from my cold. Yes, we got hit with the Fall plague too.

Posted by: Claire at October 27, 2008 2:08 PM

Get well soon Chris. My girls both have this, it started Thursday and it hasn't let up as much as I would have hoped. They did go to school today, but they were both still hacking away.

Posted by: Jeff A at October 27, 2008 2:23 PM

Yup, caught the cough version from my nephew in RI, and then flew back to CA (air travel: better than cold medicine! Not) and caught a nasty head cold on top of it. Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: Jess at October 27, 2008 2:37 PM

Yep, was sick a few weeks ago and hoping that's it. We went pumpkin hunting and did carving this weekend too, lots of fun! Hope you're fitting some rest in today!

Posted by: Dianna at October 27, 2008 3:32 PM

Sorry you have the Crud. I had a sinus infection/bronchitis about a month ago that required antibiotics, so I guess I can say I've already had it. It's gone around the office a few times -- generally every time the weather changes a little. And since it changed hard tonight, I expect everyone to be sick within a couple of days!

Feel better!

Posted by: coolchick at October 27, 2008 8:29 PM

Sorry you are sick! The benefits of being a high school teacher is that eventually (like year 6 or 7) you have had just about all illnesses known to man or at least that are passable through his or her slobbery clarinet that they ask you to fix.

We (all 5 of us, meaning that 3 are in diapers) said we were going to the apple orchard, church, the zoo and out to lunch and instead rode the trolley to the pumpkin patch (10 pumpkins at the end of the trolley line) and picked up Chipotle to go. I know, super interesting, but we ended on a high note. We took a chance on Sunday evening and headed to an indoor community band concert - where my 1 and 2 year old sat for 20 minutes watching the cymbals and trumpets (shiny things.)

Posted by: nora at October 27, 2008 10:50 PM

Knock on wood, not me (yet), though my husband and youngest daughter have had the Creeping Crud all weekend complete with cranky colons. Lovely.

Hope you're on the mend soon.

Posted by: Kimberly at October 27, 2008 11:20 PM

Yes, I caught it from one of my students. I felt positively gross.

Posted by: apathy lounge at October 27, 2008 11:32 PM

Hang on...okay...had to blow..answer your question? All 5 of us have the Fall Ickies! Sucks big time! Doing the health dance for our houses.

Posted by: Amber at October 28, 2008 6:31 AM

As someone who actually was hit by a mack truck on a highway in April. You must have been feeling downright horrible because that's how I felt.

Hope you feel better soon, I've had this horrible cough and cold for over a week and 1/2 now and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere despite getting cough syrup with vicodin in it. Here's to hoping you do better than me.

Posted by: Deirdre at October 28, 2008 7:46 AM

Howdy Chris -
When I feel the ick of a cold coming on I spring into action and take Airborne (that stuff a teacher made) and also Emergen-C (kinda like Airbone). If I take it three times a day (with food in my tummy), it really does make me better quicker - or so I believe, whatever. Even if it's in my head, it's worth it. And I'm a teacher. And kids sneeze on my all the time. Try it.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

Posted by: Sharri at October 28, 2008 6:25 PM

Me? So far so good. After 10 1/2 years working as a nurse, I have one screwy immune system.

My boyfriend? Hit, run over, and left for dead.
The orifices have been taking turns letting loose for him :-P
(after being a nurse for 10 1/2 years, I also lack couth ;-)

Posted by: Karen at October 28, 2008 6:47 PM