October 3, 2008

The Weeklies #56

The Weekly Best Idea I've Had In A Long While. Taking Thursday and Friday off.

The Weekly Music. If pressed to pick my favorite guitarist of all time, I'd have to go with Pink Floyd's David Gilmour. There's something about his playing that is ethereal, transcendent. Gilmour just released Live At Gdansk, documenting his live show at the Polish port city. Appropriately enough, the venue he played was a shipyard. Gilmour, with fellow Pink Floyd member and recently departed Rick Wright, play a fantastic concert comprised of Gilmour's latest album played in its entirety and, of course, Floyd classics. The show culminates with a fantastic version of Comfortably Numb which contains my favorite two guitar solos ever written. Live At Gdansk is available in multiple formats - CDs and DVDs. Find the one that you're most interested in and buy it. It's a great performance by a legend. And Rick Wright's final one.

The Weekly Read. I'm a big fan of the old-school pulp mystery novels put out by publisher Hard Case Crime. This week, I polished off Say It With Bullets. And I ask you, has there ever been a better mystery title? Written 50 years ago, the book was what you'd expect given the title. It was full of cheese, very pulpy with lots of intrigue and, of course, bullets.

The Weekly Photograph.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. This is too easy. You watched the debate last night, right?

The Weekly Not Quite Hypothetical. The economy, the bailout, and the stock market - wigging you out or unconcerned?

Posted by Chris at October 3, 2008 7:51 AM
Comments

Definitely wigging me out. Not only have I been trying to sell a house this whole year, but my husband and I went through a layoff (thankfully he got a job just three months later) and we have 401k's that are taking a beating. It's so frustrating to me that the economy even got to this point!

Posted by: Arwen at October 3, 2008 8:01 AM

First, totally cute shot of your handsome son!

Wigging me out a little.
Between the election and the economic crisis I just hate to have the TV on at all.
That is, unless I am watching my guilty pleasure! LOL!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 3, 2008 8:01 AM

I think I don't understand why you are not a photographer for a living. Or your kids are just perfectly photogenic? It must be all that unbelievable cuteness.

And I can't decide if I'm wigging or relieved. The feeling of dread I've had didn't start recently. As a single parent, I've felt like I was hanging on to the edge of our economy by my fingernails for a very long time. And there's something comforting about seeing others suddenly start recognizing how flawed it is. Because although this is major, I don't think it's particularly new. I've been scared since the early 90s.

Oh, and the debate! I had to pick a secondary show to quickly flip between because it was so so so cringeworthy. Gah! But there was a great show about rare brain disfunctions (no, really) on the science channel. Awkwardly appropriate, no?

Posted by: OS at October 3, 2008 8:15 AM

Trying not to wig out. These are things I cannot control. I don't mean that in the "Oh, I'm so apathetic I won't even bother voting" sense -- I vote and when things agitate me I also contact my representatives. But in truth, I have no direct control over anything but my own finances, so I can only focus on those and ride it out. I'm lucky to be young, and have the time to weather a recession or even a depression if it comes to that. But I feel deeply for those who were getting ready to retire, and now have to completely re-work their plans.

Posted by: auridicyl at October 3, 2008 8:35 AM

Not quite wigged out..we've been in our own economic crisis LOL.

As for the debate, we decided she was answering in "beauty contestant speak" since you know, that's how she was trained to speak.

We had a good laugh with it!

Posted by: Michelle at October 3, 2008 8:36 AM

I'm wigging but trying not to. Thankfully we're young enough our investments can recover in time for us to retire, but we won't be able to retire as early as we'd hoped. Although who knows, perhaps the economy will recover enough then take another gigantic dump in 20 years just in time for our retirement. I'm finding it hard to be optimistic.
Enjoy your days off!

Posted by: Shelly at October 3, 2008 8:47 AM

Wigging out or Unconcerned? I'm going to say, somewhere in the middle. What I mean is, it's definitely directly affecting our life at home on a daily basis, but wiggin' tends (for me anyway) to lead to bad decisions. Just trying to keep a cool head as I figure out how I'm going to the money to replace the stress ball I need to replace.

And allow me to join the throng of readers who will no doubt fawning over such an adorable picture.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: CK Lunchbox at October 3, 2008 8:53 AM

I love Floyd, don't get me wrong, but really, Gilmour, all-time fav?? I look at that guy and realize he's good but he's ruined Pink Floyd. No one wants to work with him. Just glad I made that last tour as thats probably going to be it...

Posted by: Darren at October 3, 2008 9:04 AM

I'm pretty much completely wigged out. Unfortunately, I think I'm sort of desensitized to wiggage at this point.

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 3, 2008 9:11 AM

Trying not to wig out - fortunately, my husband and I are pretty conservative with our finances - no credit card debt, cars paid off, etc... so living within our means has always been something we've done - so even with a little penny pinching, we're alright because we're not overextended. Also, if need be, there's enough non-essentials that can be cut from our budget to be alright - so I'm just gonna keep on keeping on. Voting next month, and just doing the best I can.

Posted by: sarah at October 3, 2008 9:13 AM

Yesterday was my first experience of driving around trying to find a gas station that actually had, you know, gas. That's a more localized issue but it doesn't help all of the other worries.

I don't have as much to lose as some people. I don't own a house, I don't have children..that type of thing. But we're in that group of people who are sitting around the kitchen table trying to figure out how to pay for medical care out of pocket while also trying to figure out what we can do without this month: food or power? Bah.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at October 3, 2008 9:54 AM

Love that picture! It's perfect!

And the bailout? I've made it very clear in my comments that I don't understand things like economy and finance. However, the idea that if we fail, someone's going to rescue us - even big businesses? It just doesn't seem right. We fail because we make bad greedy decisions. Don't we have to live up to that?

And that's where the hard working family thing getting screwed doesn't make sense in that argument.

Posted by: k8 at October 3, 2008 9:57 AM

Wigging out or Unconcerned? Somewhere in the middle. I work in the financial field...so I think I try very hard to chill and not stress so much on my off hours.
But on the other hand...I have a townhouse I am wanting to sell!

I watched part of the debate with a glass of wine so it was easier to take.

Posted by: diane at October 3, 2008 9:58 AM

I hate to say it, but it *is* wigging me out a bit. Part of me wants to stay informed and up to date and stuff, but that means watching the news and being horrified by the state of things.
I think we should switch to a society that trades goods... or better yet our currency could be cupcakes. That'd work right?

Posted by: Kate at October 3, 2008 10:23 AM

Yeah, I agree, Biden was horrible last night! :)

I would love to say I am not concerned about the economy, but I am feeling it's pinch already, and it does not feel good!

Posted by: Jeff A at October 3, 2008 10:28 AM

That pictures is TEH AWESOME! Damn he's cute.

Despite wanting to punch my fists through the television so that I could clamp them around Palin's throat, I survived the debate. She gives women a bad name. She's everything I never aspired to be.

The economy is scaring me. And I've lived a goodish number of years ignoring this stuff. But my husband is planning to retire soon and two of his 401k's got killed last quarter, so now...well...I dunno what we're going to do. And Biden said something last night about how he asked a guy at a gas station how much it costs to fill up his car, and the guy didn't know because he never had enough money to do it. Yeah. I get that.

And it's getting colder and soon I'm going to have to turn the heat back on. Sigh.

Posted by: Candy at October 3, 2008 10:44 AM

I love that picture of Owen!

Well, I wasnt all that wigged out until I checked my retirement account (which is a variety of money market accounts) and realized it had gone down about $500. That made me sad. But it will go back up Im sure.

And I have some friends that are ready to buy their first house but are having trouble because mortgage companies are either demanding perfect credit or a lot down. Im thankful we own a house and dont have to worry about getting a loan right now.

Posted by: alfredsmom at October 3, 2008 11:35 AM

gah! cute baby bum!

Posted by: ali at October 3, 2008 11:42 AM

I think 2 quotes sum up this week.

Sarah Palin: "John McCain has tapped me" hmmm do you think that was an inappropriate comment?

And my favorite: The idea that we need a six pack mentality in the White House!!!!

Ok, as a woman and as a librarian I am offended by her "lack" of formal speech at all and her style and or manner of speaking. I think McCain was on crack when he made that decision.

Oh and GO Obama!!!!! I voted already and Barack had my vote day one!

Have a great weekend Chris !:)

Posted by: Julie Andel at October 3, 2008 12:05 PM

Being closer to retirement than you are, I have to say that I'm tense about the economy, market and the bailout. I mean, what's not to enjoy about losing $100k of investment value in a week?

Posted by: bhd at October 3, 2008 12:19 PM

meh.

"It is what it is" is the common phrase here in NYC, but the outskirts, NOT Wall Street. :)

I wish I had a job, though. That part bugs me.

Posted by: Poppy at October 3, 2008 1:41 PM

not wigging out. i will be wigging out if they sign some stupid-ass bailout though. seriously. don't make me pay for other people's mistakes. just saying.

Posted by: monique at October 3, 2008 1:47 PM

I'm trying to roll with the punches. I'm a bit concerned that I will not be able to get a mortgage when I am ready to buy due to all this bullshit going on but I'm trying not to be pessimistic and stay the course of my agenda, pay off debt and save for a down payment oh yeah and try and find a job in town. YEAH RIGHT!!!!

My 401k is pretty much exactly where it was last year, so it's just gone up and down for the past year. So I try not to worry about it too much, I do look at it several times a week, sometimes it's green (good) sometimes it's red (bad) and if I keep see it go down I'll have to assess the stocks I have in there and move things around. But right now it's doing okay.

Posted by: Deirdre at October 3, 2008 5:35 PM

It hasn't hit us much up here yet but we have to renegotiate our mortgage (not one of those -- they weren't allowed up here) in March. Question is do we do it now or wait six months and hope the rates stay relatively low...

Posted by: Nat at October 3, 2008 5:56 PM

Sorry, I can't concentrate on anything but that delicious baby.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at October 3, 2008 10:13 PM

baby butts are the BEST... I can say that b/c I have one home myself...
Great photo Chris... some day I will figure out HOW to do this...

Posted by: Stephanie at October 3, 2008 11:21 PM

You know, Owen is never going to let you live it down that you posted naked pictures of him on the internet. What will the girlfriends say. :)

Posted by: Samantha at October 4, 2008 9:51 AM

Totally wigged out.

Posted by: Sabrina at October 4, 2008 11:47 AM

Initially, I freaked out because my best friend who enjoys stretching the truth stretched it a little far. Then, my dad said not to worry, so I stopped worrying. Dad's usually right about these things. If I need to worry, he'll tell me to start. I'm a pro at worrying.

Posted by: Emily at October 6, 2008 9:11 PM