October 17, 2008

The Weeklies #58

The Weekly Headline. Don't worry, folks. I'm safe.

The Weekly Read. I will read absolutely anything Charlie Huston writes. His Henry Thompson was insanely excellent as is his ongoing Joe Pitt series. Sure, the Pitt series is all about vampires and I'm not at all a vampire fan but it's possibly the most compelling way in which vampires have ever been fictionalized. Evidence? His latest novel Every Last Drop. While it might not be as strong as some of his previous novels, it's still damn good. I'd encourage you to read the Henry Thompson trilogy (Caught Stealing, Six Bad Things, and A Dangerous Man) then start the Pitt series (beginning with Already Dead.

The Weekly Best Debate Watching Tool. Twitter. Seriously, Twitter is an awesome thing to keep your eye on while the debates are going down. Bet you're happy I clued you in to that now that the debates are over, huh?

The Weekly Desktop. I love an uncluttered desktop. And I've finally rearranged everything on mine. I'm not a particularly religious person but, of the thousands of photos I've taken over the last few years, this one is one of my absolute favorites.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Me. Did you know that the statue of David isn't in the Louvre? I didn't. My art-history-degree-having wife pointed out that David and his chiseled manhood actually resides in Florence. I hereby correct my post yesterday and stand corrected. Oh, also? Ringo Starr. He got on television and told fans never to send him anything again. While I'll admit that 40+ years of being hounded by fans must get old, you don't have to be an asshole - excuse me, arsehole (he's British) - about it.

The Weekly Picture. This has a very zen quality to it and also feels very fall.

The Weekly Hypothetical. (Paraphrased from a fantastic question by Chuck Klosterman) You can a) live your life according to the rules and morals that you agree with or b) change those rules and morals that currently exist so that they would apply to you and everyone else. Which do you do and why?

Posted by Chris at October 17, 2008 6:18 AM
Comments

Yes, Ringo = Asshat!
I would probably pick B. You see, I do live my life in an honest and moral way. (perfect? no But I really try.) However, with people out there murdering each other and robbing each other and cheating each other, I think it they all had to live by the commandments or......

Posted by: Maribeth at October 17, 2008 7:39 AM

I LOVE Twitter on debate nights - it's been so entertaining following and not only that, but getting perspective of others. I follow people who are supporting Obama (as I am), and those who aren't - and it's interesting to see the same comment interpretated in two ways, depending on one's candidate of choice.

To answer your question - I live my life according to the rules I agree with. I can't presume to change the rules for everyone else to match my morals - that's just not me. So, I'll live my life with the rules I agree with, and assume everyone else will do the same (Yeah. That's me. Non-boat-rocker).

Posted by: sarah at October 17, 2008 7:45 AM

Headline: I'm sure your family is relieved. :-)
Desktop: That is a beautiful shot.
Schadenfreude: Ringo = Arse Wipe
Hypothetical: I would go with A because everyone has to make her/his own choices.

Posted by: Maria at October 17, 2008 9:05 AM

1. Cactus Theives- LMAO

2. Live according to my own morals. It's pretty useless to change others. Also, the world might get really boring.

Posted by: jessica at October 17, 2008 9:07 AM

I definitely like that picture; Fall is my favorite season and makes me feel all cozy. :)

Posted by: Claire at October 17, 2008 9:36 AM

Love the desktop! What are you using at the bottom? It looks sort of like RocketDock that I use....

Posted by: Michelle at October 17, 2008 9:40 AM

Love your photos. Do you use actions?

I would like to add a third possible answer to the hypothetical (because it's too damn early to be intelligent):
c) It's my world bitches, and you're just living in it. (I kid.) (Sort of.)

Posted by: Undomestic Diva at October 17, 2008 10:00 AM

I've been deliberately ignoring Twitter for quite a while now, but recently signed up for work reasons (long story) and now I'm totally hooked. Turns out Twitter is a lot of fun.

I second your endorsement of Charlie Huston in general and Joe Pitt in specific. Thank you for introducing me to them!

Posted by: bad penguin at October 17, 2008 10:08 AM

Oh dear lord, another good vampire book. As if my husband doesn't make enough fun of me as it is. Crap. I'm sure I'll read it anyway.

That is a brilliant photo. (both of them actually but the desktop pic is wonderful)

Hypothetically...I'd live by the rules and morals I agree with. If I have to change what I believe to fit how I live then it's time to take a look at how I'm living, I'd say. But it's a little early to answer this so I'm not sure if that's even coherent.

Posted by: Jen at October 17, 2008 10:33 AM

Did you know there's a replica of the Statue of David in Sioux Falls? You didn't? Oh, well there is and I don't know the name of the park it's in, because we call it Naked David park and everyone knows what that means. And you can see his wanger from the road.

And I only agree to live by the moral code I choose for myself. Getting everyone to live up to yours? Not my deal.

Posted by: k8 at October 17, 2008 11:02 AM

I'm a "live and let live" person for the most part; however, it is tempting sometimes to mold everyone in my image.

If only I could make it retroactive somehow.

Have a wonderful weekend and best to lovely Beth. I fallen way behind on my reading but I do think about her.

Posted by: Ann Adams at October 17, 2008 11:10 AM

Hey, how did you get the Mac-like array of icons at the bottom of your screen like that?

Posted by: Kory at October 17, 2008 11:13 AM

A.

One person's morals do not a quorum make (or something like that). Although my personal morals are perfectly perfect in every way of perfection, they would immediate become less perfect were I to try to foist them on anyone else. Also, changing your morals to better fit everyone else's is to assume that everyone else's morals are the right ones to have. This is ridiculous, because everyone else sucks (owner of this blog and his family excluded, of course).

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at October 17, 2008 11:30 AM

F-it. B. I know A is the more enlightened answer, but lets face it; if everyone had to switch to my rules and moral code, on the other side of it they'd all think it was a great idea because it would just make sense. And after giving it some thought, I am almost certain that it would lead to the absolute collapse of civilization. No, make that completely certain.

Now, again going with the C choice, if I could force all of humanity to have Jean Luc Picard's morals and rules, then we've got one cooking civilization!

Posted by: metawizard at October 17, 2008 12:27 PM

I'm going with B. If I could really enforce B, things like this: http://www.lvrj.com/news/31156339.html would never happen. And I'd be better than ok with that.

Posted by: Mindy at October 17, 2008 12:30 PM

I would definitly choose to live only my life. I don't ask others to believe what I believe or live like I live even though I believe I lead a good, moral life.
It's for that same reason I dont want a President who represents my views - at least half the country would be unhappy. I would prefer a President who makes us all equally unhappy (or happy) and forces us to lvie in as much peace as we possibly can together.

Posted by: That Girl at October 17, 2008 2:40 PM

What the hell kind of operating system are you running? I have Windows Vista on my personal laptop...If I can make it have Mac-like icons on it, it'll make my Mac-loving self very happy.

I'm going to refrain from answering the Weekly Hypothetical because discussing morals makes my little brain hurt.

Have a great weekend, Cactus-Fish Family!

Posted by: Liberal Banana at October 17, 2008 3:15 PM

I remember when you posted that church photo right after you took it. Yes, it is a great one.

Posted by: Heather at October 18, 2008 7:26 PM

LOL! I'm glad you are safe!

Posted by: Nadine at October 19, 2008 9:29 AM

And that photo is AWESOME! You're quite talented.

Posted by: Nadine at October 19, 2008 9:30 AM

love the desktop. it's so clean and uncluttered. are you a lefty?

and that last pic is pretty zen like. nice green grass. our grass here is brown. or gone. no rain in 6 months will do that to ya.

Posted by: kimmyk at October 19, 2008 11:25 AM

Is there any way I could have the pic without the Windows foo on it?

A. Hell, I don't even know my own morals sometimes. Like, I don't drink, but I'm fine with other people who do and think that it's a good social lubricant in some situations. So how would that ever work for everyone else?

Posted by: alektra at October 19, 2008 5:00 PM

Merci de prendre le temps de discuter de cela, je crois fermement à ce sujet et de l'amour en apprendre davantage sur ce sujet. Si possible, comme vous acquérir de l'expertise, auriez-vous l'esprit la mise à jour de votre blog avec plus d'informations? Il est extrêmement utile pour moi.dsf

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 4:25 AM