October 24, 2008

The Weeklies #59

The Weekly Affliction. Colds. Both kids have colds. In case you're wondering, that's not fun for anyone.

The Weekly Reads. I read Blackmailer by George Axelrod. Written fifty years ago and finally republished, Blackmailer is a fantastic old-school thriller by the screenwriter of The Manchurian Candidate, The Seven Year Itch and Breakfast At Tiffany's. If you haven't heard of those movies, get yourself signed in over at Netflix and rent them. Posthaste! Anyway, Blackmailer was great, full of twists and turns, noir action and bad dames.

The Weekly Photo. It's supposed to look more like a witch than an evil gerbil with a funky hat.

The Weekly Bumper Sticker. Freedom Isn't Free. I know what you're saying but isn't freedom, by definition, uh, free?

The Weekly Bummer. The fact that I couldn't make it to Obama's Northern Virginia appearance. Apparently that was something of a mixed blessing as just about everyone else in the state turned out for it.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. The Republican Party spends a gazillion dollars on Sarah Palin's wardrobe while she gets her family to fly for free (on Alaska's citizens' dime) claiming they're all on "official business." And we're supposed to believe they care about Main Street? Oh, and no surprise but apparently Madonna is a whack-job, at least according to her soon-to-be ex-husband. Wait, a celebrity divorce? That never happens!

The Weekly Video Extravaganza

The Weekly Hypothetical. There exists what could be an authentically haunted house. You're offered $5,000 to spend the night in it. So long as you don't leave before dawn you can collect the money. There is no electricity, no lights, no entertainment of any kind. Do you do it?

Posted by Chris at October 24, 2008 6:36 AM
Comments

Mia! You're right. People WILL say that you are a pretty lady that sings good songs. Just you wait and see all the comments. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing. I love the accents - I know of course you are American but hearing it. It's fab!

Nope. No way. In the haunted house that is. I had scary dreams the other night and that was already waaaaay to much for me. Keep your 5g.

Hope the weekend brings healthy children and good rest for all.

Posted by: Beth at October 24, 2008 7:04 AM

That is priceless! Utterly adorable.

That is definitely a keeper. (both the video & Mia!)

Posted by: Angie at October 24, 2008 7:08 AM

Oh she is just the cutest thing, Chris. Really!!!!
Now the hypothetical.
Yes, I would do it. I could use the money! And I would not be afraid. After all I managed to last throughout my first marriage and that was truly scary!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 24, 2008 7:17 AM

Of course I do it! I could sleep through ANYTHING. Where do I sign up?

Posted by: Cass at October 24, 2008 7:44 AM

Two Words...Fetal Position

Posted by: harrylips at October 24, 2008 7:46 AM

Thanks for brightening up a rainy lunchtime Mia!

Posted by: Katherine at October 24, 2008 7:53 AM

She's freakin' adorable. Love the segue into John Jacob Jingleheimer and the subsequent improv she threw in there. Talented, talented. (Btw, that's one of my FAVORITE mom things - the making up of songs. Love it).

And yes, I'd do it. I'd grab my iPod, some Tylenol p.m. and a pillow and just zonk out. I'm guessing I'm there alone which means it could be the BEST SLEEP I've had in a long time.

Posted by: Sarah at October 24, 2008 8:02 AM

Freedom, by definition, is free. But it is not without its costs. Many have given their blood, their limbs, their sanity, and in many cases their lives for it.

Those of us who have not served, including me, tend to forget that. That bumper sticker is a reminder.

Posted by: Allan at October 24, 2008 8:03 AM

Great video - absolutely adorable!

Posted by: erin at October 24, 2008 8:17 AM

That video? Priceless.

The hypothetical? Hell to the NO!

Posted by: Traci at October 24, 2008 8:24 AM

HELL NO!!! I'm a big scaredy-cat. $5,000 just isn't enough.

Thanks for that video -- Mia is adorable and I loved the bowing at the end! Hope the Cactus-Fish family has a great weekend.

Posted by: Robyn at October 24, 2008 8:25 AM

Mia's video is so cute!

And $5,000 isn't enough money for me to spend the night in a haunted house. I don't even like sleeping alone in my own un-haunted house when my hubby's out of town. No frickin' way. Maybe for $5 million. Maybe.

Posted by: Leah at October 24, 2008 8:37 AM

I think you should add a weekly song from Mia on Fridays! She's fab!

I'm not sure there's enough money in the world to make me do the haunted house thing. I can't even watch Poltergeist after seeing it the first time.

Posted by: Karen at October 24, 2008 8:53 AM

Considering I've lived in haunted houses before, one night would be cake. I'd probably scare the hell out of myself but for 5K it would so be worth it.

Posted by: Jennifer at October 24, 2008 8:54 AM

I got you beat on the bumper sticker sightings. Wish I would have snapped a picture. I was driving behind this beat up old pick up. He had a bumper sticker on the left side of his bumper that said "PROUD DEMOCRAT". The bumper sticker on the right side of his bumper said "VOTE McCAIN". I'm sorry...what?! I was confused the whole way home.

Your daughter is too cute!

And...NO WAY on the hypothetical question. No. Fricking. Way. I saw a ghost on the second floor of my grandmas house when I was 8. I haven't been up their since. That's over two decades. I think because I believe in ghosts and all that, it makes it that much more scary. I won't even watch scary movies. I'm giving myself the chills!

Posted by: js at October 24, 2008 8:57 AM

LOVED the video and the segue into John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. She's so cute and it was kinda cool to hear your voice!
No way on the haunted house. Sometimes being alone in mine will make me a scaredy cat in the middle of the night so I'd probably have a heart attack in a haunted one.
Sorry to hear about the colds - try and have a good weekend!

Posted by: NancyJak at October 24, 2008 9:04 AM

Man, Mia is just ONE great reason you have to go home every night.

And on the hypo, sure. No problem. I'd fall asleep in a couple of minutes. As log as there was a toilet for me in the morning ghosts don't bother me.

Knot

Posted by: Knot at October 24, 2008 9:18 AM

Hey, that jack o'lantern looks like the Scarecrow from Batman! Unintentional, perhaps, but awesome nonetheless.

And I would NOT stay in that haunted house, because what good is $5,000 when you've died of fright? (I suppose it COULD go toward my funeral expenses...)

I can't wait to get home and see Mia's video!

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 24, 2008 9:20 AM

Mia's line about her own singing was a riot! What a peach!

Haunted house? HELLA NO.

Posted by: Gwen at October 24, 2008 9:38 AM

I watched that as loudly as I dared in the middle of a quiet office but it didn't matter. I was laughing the entire time. The bowing was my favorite part.

I request video of Owen!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at October 24, 2008 9:53 AM

Haunted house? I would do that for $500, $5000 makes it even more appealing!

Posted by: Jeff A at October 24, 2008 10:05 AM

hehe, your pumpkin looks like a teenage mutant ninja turtle. HiYa!

Posted by: madmom at October 24, 2008 10:10 AM

Haunted House? Sure. I grew up with a ghost in the house, and my house I live in now has a ghost.
As long as they're not evil, I'm cool with ghosts. They were there first.

Posted by: Amy at October 24, 2008 10:14 AM

LOVE Mia's Wizard of Oz! She is adorable.

Posted by: Susan at October 24, 2008 10:15 AM

Seems like only yesterday Beth was worried because she wasn't talking. The video is priceless.

And for $5,000? Sure. I think.

Posted by: Ann Adams at October 24, 2008 10:40 AM

Can you explain to me what "Manchurian" means other than "of Manchuria"?

And there is probably no way you could get me to stay in a truly haunted house, unless it was a positive haunting. We have a very positive flow of energy in our new house and I would definitely be okay with that.

Posted by: Arwen at October 24, 2008 10:50 AM

Hypothetical? Abso-spooka-tively. $5k more than takes care of the holiday shopping and I'm definitely more scared of that...

Posted by: Matt at October 24, 2008 10:56 AM

I can't view the video, I'm at work -- but I can't wait to see it at home.

Freedom isn't free -- too funny. I can't remember what it was in reponse to, but years ago Clinton had a speech in which he said "Intolerance will not be tolerated" I was so cracked up about it, and no one else got it -- ~sigh~ (if you won't tolerate something, isn't THAT intolerance?)

Hmmm, in theory I'd say Heck ya, I'd spend the night! In reality, my husband and I are debating on staying in a hotel in Savannah because it is reportedly haunted-- we're both scared, but it is a good price! So, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to go through with it.

Posted by: Jane at October 24, 2008 10:57 AM

Are we talking Amityville/Poltergeist haunted or something less sinister? If it's just seeing ghosts and creepy noises, count me in. If it's the former, no thanks.

Posted by: Garth at October 24, 2008 11:25 AM

Where do I sign up for the haunted house? I'd do it in a minute! I've probably lost more sleep this week having nightmares about root planing, thankyouverymuch, than I would lose in a haunted house.

Posted by: rebecca at October 24, 2008 11:35 AM

not enough money.

Please tell Mia that I loved her songs.

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at October 24, 2008 11:55 AM

If I could have a candle a book and my boyfriend with me then I'd do it. Thats an easy $5k.

Posted by: Adi at October 24, 2008 12:02 PM

What a doll your child is. Smart and funny and engaged. I love it.

$5,000? Maybe. Possibly. I don't know for sure. I did stay in a hotel in Williams, Arizona that was once a brothel and is said to be haunted. I didn't get paid and we had electricity. :) And I didn't see any ghosts. Though I was hoping to.

Posted by: Mindy at October 24, 2008 12:11 PM

I loved the bow at the end, it made me smile and laugh and clap my hands.

(I don't actually know how to spell "curtsy". Hmm, maybe that's how.)

Posted by: Poppy at October 24, 2008 12:20 PM

Regarding the hypothetical: May I take a sleeping pill right before entering? If so, an easy five grand!

Posted by: Poppy at October 24, 2008 12:21 PM

Mia is a cute lady and I'm sure everyone will say she is great!

I have to say, I kind of like the idea of an evil hamster pumpkin :)

Haunted how, exactly? Vortex to hell haunted, no. Friendly ghost who just wants some company, sure.

Posted by: bad penguin at October 24, 2008 1:02 PM

I would not sleep in a haunted house for $10 million. I am the biggest chicken in the universe and still occasionally sleep with the light on if I hear a noise.

So, no. No way. Never. Not even if I were promised nothing but sunshine and puppies for the rest of my days. Nope.

I'm sorry, am I being clear enough?

Posted by: Alias Mother at October 24, 2008 1:21 PM

OMG She's the cutest lady ever! That's precious! :)

Posted by: Laura at October 24, 2008 1:52 PM

The things Im terrified of are not to be found in haunted houses. Evil lives in man. On that light note... I would totally do it and I hope you have a lovely, ghost-free weekend.

Posted by: That Girl at October 24, 2008 1:54 PM

Ok, officially dead from the cuteness that is your child! She most certainly is a pretty lady who sings great songs! And the wizard of oz has never sounded better!

Haunted house, maybe. I'd strick up a convo w/ the ghouls. lol

Posted by: Kris at October 24, 2008 1:59 PM

Her "bow" might be the best thing you've ever published online...in fact....it's second after her praise for herself. Lovely. So cute!!

Posted by: Kristy at October 24, 2008 2:51 PM

The pumkin looks more like a Fraggle than a gerbil to me... ;)

Posted by: Kris H at October 24, 2008 3:23 PM

...and that should be pumpkin not pumkin...DOH!

Posted by: Kris H at October 24, 2008 3:24 PM

I think that child has a future on the stage. What a cutie pie!

Have you read The Kind One? It's noirish, set in LA- pretty good so far.

Sure, I'd probably stay in the haunted house, at worst I could just run and forfeit the money, right?

Posted by: Jess at October 24, 2008 3:43 PM

Awww sooo cute, Miss Bean! And I'd totally stay in the haunted house. I'm kinda "meh" about things like that. As long as I didn't let myself get too psyched out, I can't see it being that big of a deal!

Posted by: Heather at October 24, 2008 3:52 PM

OMG.... she's amazingly cute!! Makes me want a little girl of my own.

Posted by: Stephanie at October 24, 2008 4:12 PM

I didn't believe it possible for Mia to be any cuter than she already was. But you proved me wrong...

That pumpkin carving looks like something out of the Dark Crystal.

Posted by: Tink at October 24, 2008 5:04 PM

How do you not fall over from the cuteness that is Mia?

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 24, 2008 6:26 PM

"Then we fwo the note in the air....." and then I died from the cuteness.

She actually has a pretty decent alto going there...

And yes, I spend the night. I lived in a haunted house when I was a kid. It's not like in the movies. And I'm a broke student.

Posted by: Stacy at October 24, 2008 9:13 PM

I LOVE that video! So sweet! Mia reminds me a lot of my monkey in that video! She sings hilarious made-up songs all the time, too. :)

Both my kids have MAJOR runny noses.... Not full-blown colds, though, luckily.

Posted by: Haley-O at October 24, 2008 9:50 PM

first off, Mia bean is cute. but you know that, I just thought I would enforce that thinking!

As far as the Haunted house, Would the kids be with? If not, then yes.. because that might mean I'd get a night of uninterrupted sleep.. :)

Posted by: Molly at October 24, 2008 11:41 PM

That video is so adorable. The haunted house - Nope.

Posted by: Zandor at October 25, 2008 12:37 AM

I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts. I'd do it. I think most ghosts are not scary.

Posted by: Brad at October 25, 2008 9:59 AM

Freedom isn't free because I have it and I'm not letting it go for anything. And no-one can take it from me either. It's strange, though, because I love freedom and yet I've heard that if you love something, set it free. I can't seem to release my grasp of it.

And if you're measuring Sarah Palin's concern for 'main street' on a single wardrobe purchase made by her voluntary donors, I don't see how you can be for any politician, especially Obama. Every. Single. Politician. Has some purchase or action that is judged differently by different people and can be thrown into their face as opposing their ideology. How much were those greek columns again at the DNC? I personally don't know because I don't care. But I find it massively hypocritical for people to scoff, judge, and throw barbs with a partisan lens. A complaint about an activity should be the same for all targets.

Posted by: whall at October 25, 2008 11:54 AM

LMAO! Love the Wizard of Oz songs, particularly the Gregorian chant version. Very nice!

Posted by: coolchick at October 25, 2008 3:03 PM

The Hypothetical - in this economy I'd do most anything (short of selling my, um, services) for $5K.

Posted by: Heather at October 25, 2008 3:52 PM

You're just jealous because YOU didn't shop at Neiman Marcus in downtown Minneapolis (I may or may not work near that Neiman Marcus...)

As for the Bean - I heart her. And doubly so because she does not curtsy. Feminism swelled in my heart, no real reason, just that she only bowed.

$5K, done. Provided I get to bring my crucifix, my grandmother's rosary, holy water, etc. That whole faith thing comes in handy, no?

Seems like it's time for another audioblog post!

Posted by: alektra at October 25, 2008 7:02 PM

Ok, so I'm supposed to be studying. But instead? I went back to "Miabean2" from your vimeo account. That last "bye-bye?" My heart squished in a MILLION pieces. She is such a big girl now!

Posted by: alektra at October 25, 2008 7:05 PM

Not so much an evil gerbil as an evil Fraggle -
LOL ;-)

I quickly baled on the 10 o' clock news for the Mia Bean Special. No contest!

The news never makes me grin and "aww" like-

and Mia is indeed a very 'cute lady' who does a mean curtsy ! :-)

Posted by: Karen at October 25, 2008 10:28 PM

That video is the CUTEST. THING. EVER. And I know cute - my daughter has won several awards for being the cutest kid alive with her antics. But that takes the cake.

Posted by: Amy at October 25, 2008 11:39 PM

i love her rendition of an almost jacob jingleheimerschmidt. (or however you spell it)
she's precious!

Posted by: kimmyk at October 26, 2008 5:58 AM

To answer your question... hell to the no! I'm a wuss!

And one comment... Palin and Madonna almost make me ashamed of my own gender! Blech.

LJ (the blogger formerly know as MooAlex)

Posted by: LJ at October 26, 2008 6:17 PM

That video was GREAT! She's impossibly adorable.

Posted by: Zandria at October 26, 2008 11:16 PM

That video is awesome. :-D

Posted by: Kristy - Where's My Damn Answer at October 27, 2008 12:12 PM

Tears are running down my face from laughing so hard at the video. I need to bookmark this post for when I am having a bad day.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at October 27, 2008 6:30 PM

It's not even 7, and my day was heading towards the status of Anti-Stellar. And then I thought, "Today would be a good day to catch up on Chris' posts" (I'm up to 12 - I didn't want to make it to 15 again...) and this, seriously, made my day.

Utterly hilarious and pricelessly cute.

Posted by: Emily at October 28, 2008 7:54 AM