October 6, 2008

Weekend Hangover

Sweet baby Jesus on ice (and seriously, who wouldn't want to go see that Icecapade show?) this weekend was busy. Not oh, yeah, we ran a couple of errands and played with the kids busy. More like hi, I'm the Jack Bauer of parenting and the Backyardigans have been taken hostage and we have only 24 hours to rescue them busy. Here's how the last few days played out.

Thursday
I took Thursday off, primarily to attend Mia's preschool class picnic. I was looking forward to it, to see how she'd adjusted, how she acted in her classroom. Of course, she looked and acted like she owned the place. Unfortunately, her teacher revealed that she was still pretty sad at times during the day. Which sucks. I thought we'd mostly moved past that. I guess these things don't get solved overnight. After the picnic, we returned home, I sat in on a couple of conference calls and then we all played with wild abandon. Or something like that.

Friday
First thing Friday morning, Beth loaded up the kids and headed to a music class while I enjoyed an hour or so of silence. Seriously. I'm not sure I did anything beyond sitting on the couch listening to the sound of absolutely nothing. Maybe I read a book. That seems like light years ago so who knows. Friday afternoon, after no one had managed to get their sleep on and while Beth was treating herself to a well-deserved massage, Mia, Owen and I watched The Little Mermaid for, oh, about the billionth time. After the no-sleep thing, we decided against heading to the high school football game, thus averting a disaster of epic proportions.

Saturday
Mia and I woke up, got our swim suits on and headed to our local indoor pool for round three of Mia's swimming lessons. She loves the water and, by association, the lessons. And it's something cool we can do together. So I love them. After the lessons, we raced home, got baths and showers, got dressed, had lunch and headed to the circus. Yes, Mia and I were circus-bound on Saturday afternoon. How was it? Thanks for asking. It was pretty cool. I mean, the circus itself is pretty cheesy but perfect for little kids. It was about two hours of perfection as far as Mia was concerned. Getting to buy a bag of cotton candy bigger than her body probably had something to do with it too. We arrived home, told Beth and Owen about everything we'd seen and spent an hour and a half developing our own acrobatic and tight-rope routines. Turns out I do a kick ass 360 Bootyshaking Spin of Doom. Get me, I'm circus people. About six Saturday evening Mia imploded from all the fun. The kids were asleep by 7:00. Beth and I relaxed as best we could with beer, wine, ice cream and DVDs of Arrested Development.

Sunday
I'm afraid the excitement caught up with us on Sunday. Mia's interrupted slumbers forced us both into the guest bedroom and consequently I got little sleep. We both woke up grumpy. As did Owen. I wasn't witness to his night-time shenanigans but I have it on good authority (Beth) that he didn't get a lot of sleep either. Still, between fights about braids, jackets and "noisy shoes", Mia and I made it to the grocery store before attempting nap-time. Inevitably, the nap didn't happen but everything worked out alright. Because all four of us got to have dinner with Aimee of Greeblemonkey fame. Mia was so excited, she declared it Aimee Day and drew several portraits of Aimee in advance. (The portraits were originally intended as gifts for Aimee but Mia refused to permanently relinquish them after Aimee had touched them.) Aimee was awesome and dinner wasn't at all awkward in that whole hey, I've only read you on the internet so I have no idea what to say to you in person kinda way. And now Mia is totally in love with Aimee, even forcing me to email her immediately after we got home to find out her middle name.

So, uh, as I asked in today's haiku, what's the cure for a weekend-fueled hangover? Coffee? A greasy burger? Hitting the snooze and telling Monday to go screw itself silly?

Posted by Chris at October 6, 2008 6:25 AM
Comments

Cure? Lots and lots of coffee!!!
BTW: Glad you did not bring Beth to the Circus. I have heard she is not fond of clowns! LOL!
Have a good week.

Posted by: Maribeth at October 6, 2008 7:22 AM

I see you bought the T-shirt...Awesome!

Posted by: harrylips at October 6, 2008 7:24 AM

Okay, music class, swim lessons and the circus? I want to be Mia. You guys are totally working on that whole happy well rounded children thing, huh?

I'd like to officially cancel this Monday please. I woke up at 4am all panic ridden because it's only 79 days 'til Christmas, yes I know I have a problem, and then realized I have forgotten my mother's birthday. Somebody shoot me. There, no matter what happens today, you can point to me as the bigger shit.

And now I'm going to go do some irresponsible distraction shopping to make myself feel better. Love that tee-shirt.

Posted by: OS at October 6, 2008 7:55 AM

For me, it's knowing I can go to bed as early as I want after dinner.
For you, since I don't think you have that option, I'd choose the coffee.

Posted by: NancyJak at October 6, 2008 7:59 AM

No idea what to do for a hangover besides sleep. That works both for alcohol hangovers and the Nyquil hangover I've currently got going on.

Sounds like you guys had a VERY FULL weekend! What fun!

Posted by: Sarah at October 6, 2008 8:11 AM

Verry cool that you got to meet Greeblemonkey.

Posted by: William at October 6, 2008 8:28 AM

Peace and quiet is nice. I spent the weekend in Omaha, Nebraska with 11 family members. We traveled (drove) there for the kids to see the zoo and pumpkin patch/amusement park. It was truly excellent, but I'm spent beyond words.

Hot drinks are good. A touch of peppermint schnapps would be perfection.

Posted by: Brad at October 6, 2008 9:12 AM

Ok, I'm officially jealous of Brad & his brood now - I originally hail from Omaha and they have the bestest zoo!! I miss it (all of omaha,not just the zoo) terribly!

Also, upon seeing the pic of you & yours, my 4 y/o announced "I like Mia!" - me too kid, me too! lol

Weekend hangover - tell Monday to screw itself silly! Then curl up w/ a good movie/book/cd.

Posted by: Kris at October 6, 2008 9:56 AM

Hair of the dog that bit ya... :)

Posted by: Kate at October 6, 2008 11:22 AM

Posted by: de at October 6, 2008 12:02 PM

ok so I have to ask, were there evil people standing outside the circus screaming about how the elephants are stabbed with a metal spike to make them perform, or how half the people who are in the circus were arrested for some hidious crime and spent time in prison, my favorite was when they yelled thru the bullhorn at my family as we were walking by that the mother elephants are killed to take their young. That is the point in which my husband almost hit the lady and I quickly urshered my 3 year old inside. I believe in freedom of speech, however I don't believe in freedom of being an asshole.

Posted by: de at October 6, 2008 12:03 PM

so

1) What is her middle name?

2) Why didn't you jerks call me?

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarag at October 6, 2008 12:14 PM

I've known Aimee longer than she's had kids OR a blog, and I still don't know her last name. Fixing that right now...

Posted by: Mr Lady at October 6, 2008 12:24 PM

Productivity. Good Chinese food. A glass of wine. A hearty laugh. A nap (however brief).

Posted by: apathy lounge at October 6, 2008 1:00 PM

are you and Beth freakishly tall??

because i've met Aimee.
and she is TALL, dude.
she had to practically sit on the floor to come up to my shoulders for a picture...

Posted by: ali at October 6, 2008 1:11 PM

For me, the cure is always throwing myself into my work. At some point, I get energized.

As for prevention, the Svendlors believe that free time should remain free. So we have three rules:
1) Never bring work home & no blackberries allowed (unless they're the edible kind).
2) No more than one scheduled activity per day.
3) Sunday is the day of rest. No work, no shopping, no chores, food is prepared in advance, no friend and family get-togethers unless it's really important. We're not religious, but it is wonderful to know that every week we have one day of down time to relax and enjoy each other's company.

Posted by: Laura at October 6, 2008 1:18 PM

Starbucks IV Drip.

Posted by: caleal at October 6, 2008 1:33 PM

I, too, have a weekend hangover. Mine was spent playing tourist in Manhattan then tagging along on a photo shoot. I'm exhausted. I have no idea what the weekend hangover cure is but so far I've had a cup of strong coffee, 3 M&Ms (Halloween variety from M&M world at Times Square), and a bowl of spaghetti and homemade meatballs left over from Friday night dinner with company.

Oh, and water. Water makes you beautiful.

Posted by: Poppy at October 6, 2008 2:00 PM

I believe the words GO Fuck Yourself Monday, a quiet house, pajamas and clean sheets. Put it all together and you have, the perfect sleepy time. That is how I get over long weekends....in my head. *sigh*

Posted by: Kristin at October 6, 2008 2:36 PM

The cure for a weekend hangover is to wake up on Monday morning a half hour before you have to go to work to find your toddler and her entire bed covered in shit.

Trust me it wakes you up real fast.

Although I don't actually recommend it.

Posted by: jessica at October 6, 2008 4:09 PM

Ali, clearly I was hunched over, trying to get as close to Mia as possible.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at October 6, 2008 9:05 PM

Awesome weekend!
Cure? I'd think telling Monday to screw off, but honestly? I get more rest at work than I do at home some days, so I'd have to go with just soldering on fueled by coffee, chocolate and perhaps french fries.

Posted by: Kimberly at October 6, 2008 10:29 PM

I hope you're over your hangover by now. Coffee and greasy food, then lots of water, those are my recommendations...oh heeeeey, you weren't talking about that kind of hangover? ;-)

I'm kinda jealous that you got to meet Aimee Greeblemonkey. That's a great photo of yinz guys.

Posted by: Alison at October 6, 2008 11:32 PM

Wow, that's one heck of a weekend. Man, getting up and taking one for the team is the only way I've ever gotten over the weekend hangover. And 3 Tylenol and a beer Monday night.

Posted by: Jen at October 7, 2008 1:24 PM