November 6, 2008

A Gay Old Time

Okay, okay, I'll admit to something shameful and moderately embarrassing. Tonight, like every Thursday night, my friend TiVo will turn itself on and dutifully record Grey's Anatomy. Then, at some point - later tonight or over the weekend - I will watch it with the glee of a tween popping High School Musical into the DVD player for the fiftieth time and watching Zac Efron do whatever the hell it is Zac Efron does. Despite the insanely whiny Meredith Grey played by the getting-less-attractive-and-more-annoying-with-each-passing-episode Ellen Pompeo and the moderately annoying cast saved by the presence of George, I tune in religiously. Hey, I'm not proud. That's just the way it is.

If you watch the show at all - or have heard about it around the old watercooler - you're probably well aware of its gay-friendly past. Actor Isiah Washington was fired a few seasons back for his slurs about fellow actor and resident gay guy T.R. Knight. Since then, aside from a very brief arc on the now-canceled Bionic Woman remake, we don't see that much of him. This year's romance between Washington's replacement - Brooke Smith who plays Erica Hahn - and Callie Torres has taken the show's gay-friendliness to an even higher plane. But if you catch tonight's episode, you'll be seeing the last of Dr. Hahn. That's right - the actress and her character are gone after tonight.

Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes fell on her sword (or, rather, someone else's) earlier this week, claiming that the relationship couldn't be maintained in the long run. I call bullshit. And apparently I'm not alone. Insiders are reporting that Rhimes is covering up for the network suits who actually ordered the firing. Perhaps not surprisingly but very disappointingly, those suits were getting a little uncomfortable with the gay thing. Newcomer Melissa George - who you might remember from Alias and will be joining the cast later this month - had her bisexual character rewritten as well. Apparently she'll be straight but flirty. Whatever the hell that means.

On any night on almost any channel you can find a good gruesome dead body to feast your eyes on. You can see someone get shot, incinerated, decapitated, eviscerated, beaten, bloodied or bruised. But god forbid someone says shit or ass. And surely the sky will fall if you show two women kissing or, worse, in a loving relationship that does absolutely no one any harm. Clearly we, as a society, can't take it. Clearly we're not that advanced. Clearly we need a bunch of suits to protect us from the madness. Next thing you know, we'll be doing something crazy like electing an African American as our nation's 44th president. Oh, wait...

Whether your a fan or not, a social conservative or liberal, where do you come down on this stuff? As I asked a while back, why is violence okay but not sex? What kind of relationships are appropriate to portray on television? And is ABC's decision right, wrong or somewhere in between?

Posted by Chris at November 6, 2008 6:25 AM
Comments

These would be the same suits who approve selling advertising in the family hour for things that you have to desperately try to hide from your children, fail and then try to explain, like His and Hers from KY and Saw 97.

Posted by: OS at November 6, 2008 6:54 AM

I'm very pissed off about Hahn's firing. Were the writers possibly pushing the envelope for a 9 PM show? Maybe slightly. But, it wasn't graphic like the CSIs or the NCISs or any of those other shows. (And I love me some NCIS.) If it weren't for the fact that I love Grey's, Housewives, and Brothers and Sisters so much, I would boycott ABC. It's horrible that they're doing this. And I hadn't heard that ABC made Shondra re-write Melissa George's character!! That makes it even worse! That's making me wonder, even more now, if ABC is going to have Kevin from Brothers and Sisters die, or suddenly discover, hey, I don't like the penis anymore! Especially since that's a Sunday night show. -.-

Homophobes really piss me off. People are people - it shouldn't matter what type of equipment you're packing down there. You CAN'T help who you fall in love with - its as simple as that. ABC really needs to get their shit in line, or I have a feeling they're going to lose a LOT of viewers...

Posted by: secha at November 6, 2008 7:06 AM

"why is violence okay but not sex?"
Simple: kids, by instinct, are violent. They hit and kick and push and shove. Parents teach them to curb these instincts, but the bottom line is kids do it. However, they do not have sex (unless we're talking about abuse). Ergo, kids can see violence on tv but not sex. (I am NOT saying I agree with it, just that this is what I believe their logic is.)

As for Hahn, I know that the reasons are the network being homophobic, but I'm actually glad she's leaving. I found the lesbian arc too awkward (I get that it was supposed to be awkward; I just found Callie's role in it very plodding and almost silly) and felt it wasn't working for either of them: it made Hahn weak and Callie awkward.

But, the fact that it's happening because of suits sucks. This is an act of the Thought Police Orwell warned us about.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at November 6, 2008 7:24 AM

You should be embarassed.

Posted by: harrylips at November 6, 2008 7:27 AM

OK dude, you could ave put the words "Spoiler Alert" at the top of the article as a warning!!

Posted by: Aurelia at November 6, 2008 7:28 AM

I believe ABC is owned by Disney, which I am sure is a factor. I think it's really a shame - granted, I haven't really loved Hahn's character (I didn't like Burke either, so...), but I wasn't icked out, skeeved out or bothered at all by the lesbian/bisexual storyline.

And I think it's too bad that it's even an issue. I write a recap of the show for an online mag, so I watch it religiously, and so have been keeping up with the ax dropping on Hahn. I think it's ridiculous.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Case closed.

(And I think what's crappier is that apparently Hahn's goodbye wasn't written into the script - from what I read in an interview with the actress who plays her she just gets into her car - I'm sure they'll address it in episodes to come, but to be honest, I don't think they give their viewers enough credit.

Posted by: Sarah at November 6, 2008 7:50 AM

I watch the show... and I had no idea. Thanks for the insight. It seems funny to me that this is even happening. I mean, how long was 'Will and Grace' on the air? Or is it different because this is two women instead of two men? I could understand the whole Disney factor, but still...

Personally, the Callie and Hahn plot wasn't working for me anyway. I didn't like Hahn so much from the beginning, and was hoping her character would lighten up a bit. I guess I was wrong. Can't say I'll be too sad to see her leave though.

Posted by: Laura at November 6, 2008 8:07 AM

I must be living under a rock -- I didn't know that Hahn was leaving the show!

If it makes sense in the storyline, then I can't argue with it. But, if the sole purpose for kicking her off is to get the gay out -- that's just wrong. The writers could've just made the relationship not work out if they wanted to cut out the girl-on-girl action. I LIKE Hahn's character -- she's one of the only non-whiners on the show.

Posted by: Robyn at November 6, 2008 8:11 AM

I love Erica Hahn - more specifically the actress - so I'm very disappointed they're writing her out but I was also disappointed in her and Callie's romance because it just didn't seem real to me. I'm not homophobic really! But I just didn't believe Callie in it after George and all. It was almost like the writers didn't really think it through before they came up with that storyline. So I'm totally bummed that Hahn is leaving.
I've loved Grey's Anatomy (my husband too, so feel comfortable in your viewing choices there Chris!), but I'm only sorta liking it for this season and last. Ellen Pompeo can be sooo annoying and alot of times the "banter" is so silly and the constant repeating of phrases and words gets old. But I'll continue to watch but only after it's on DVR and I can fast forward.
I occasionally read "Grey Matters" at www.greyswriters.com and after each episode the writer of that particular episode writes an entry with his or her rundown of the episode. Check it out.

Posted by: NancyJak at November 6, 2008 8:12 AM

Here I was excited about the "gay-friendly" plot line and now you tell me it is ending? Hahn is one of my favorite characters. The bitch I strive to be...lol...I am just too nice:)

I too, hide in my home and secretly get excited for Grey's (taped on my PVR, not TiVo). Don't know what it is but that show has caught my attention - and it is about the only TV I watch (except Treehouse of course)!

Posted by: Amber at November 6, 2008 8:20 AM

We're still waiting for the next season of Grey's over here, but this news is very disheartening.

Almost as disheartening as hearing that Proposition 8 passed in California. Apparently, people polled said they were against it, but once in the voting booths, 'changed' their minds. Riiiiight.

Disheartening.

Posted by: ewe_are_here at November 6, 2008 8:29 AM

I LOVE Grey's, but that is stupid! One of my favorite shows is Brothers & Sisters, and I love how the gay couple banters with each other. (They, in the show, are married, btw.) I thought Grey's was going to be able to follow suit, but obviously not. How disappointing.

Posted by: Sandi at November 6, 2008 8:57 AM

That's really a shame. I was enjoying the development in that plot - with Callie struggling with what a homosexual relationship means. I suspect there are many people in the country who can identify with that. If Erica is gone, where does that leave her character's development? Too bad!

Posted by: Shannon at November 6, 2008 9:00 AM

My husband and I watch the show. I didn't, and don't, have a problem with a gay storyline, I just didn't like how they were writing this one. Really, Callie was so crushed when George cheated on her, but she goes to Mark right after being with Callie, a few times? Please. Plus, I really haven't been a fan of Hahn anyway, she was too abrasive in my opinion. That said, shame on them for firing her and not giving her(the actor and character) at least a proper final scene.
Who let's their kids watch this show anyway? I sure wouldn't, along with all those CSI-type shows. I don't watch CSI and the like myself. I get enough of that crap just watching the nightly news, I don't need to see it played out in detail for an hour. If they let her go to avoid offending adults over the storyline, well, if you don't like it, don't watch. What's the difference between watching two women on the show figure out their relationship and seeing McSteamy sleep his way through the rest of the staff? Pffft.

Posted by: kmum at November 6, 2008 9:00 AM

Two women kissing is way less offensive to me than, say, an extra-marital affair between a Mc and a squinty eyed Meredith. Enough with the eyes already Mer, you're not sexy and Katherine Heigel (sp) is the hot one.

Posted by: mymilabean at November 6, 2008 9:01 AM

My 6-year-old cousin accidentally watched part of CSI a few months ago and had nightmares from it. I highly doubt she would have nightmares from seeing two women kiss.

It is so odd to me that you can't show a woman's breast but you can show her being violently raped or killed. That's just so wrong.

And why wouldn't it be ok to portray sex between two women? The show Bones last night featured two women kissing, but the length of the shot was so short compared to the male-female kisses they've shown in the past. Sad.

Posted by: Leah at November 6, 2008 9:06 AM

I'm sure I'm not the only one to make this point, but this is the same parent company who manufactures oversexed tween pop "stars" that I will have to keep my daughter from wanting to become. However, were my daughter to grow up and want to enter into a committed, loving relationship with another woman, I would have absolutely no problem supporting that. THANKS IRONY.

I don't even know if this is a political point. Is it? I'm a conservative, but I'm pro human rights. I'm appalled that this story line was cut, especially since I think that it was most likely due to the relationship being between two women. I'm not crying "sexist!" because it was really only recently that we've seen an on screen romance between two men, but I do think that if this was a story line between two gay men, it wouldn't have been cut. I'm also bummed that the story line was cut because I thought that Callie and Dr. Hahn were adorable! The treatment of the two of them exploring new territory was so real and endearing, and I LOVED them together. I also LOVED that Shonda chose to write the relationship between two women who up until then had considered themselves heterosexual. It was well written, and an excellent story line in an increasingly patchy show, and from nothing but an entertainment perspective, boo hiss to them for cutting it.

But VIOLENCE in my opinion is NEVER alright. Get the freaking violence off of TV, and get the scary characters out of the movies you are marketing to toddlers, PARENT COMPANY. And Stop sexing up the little girls. Nice freaking agenda, smut for kids: good. Accurate depiction of a burgeoning love affair between two consenting adults: controversial!!

Gah.

Posted by: chatty cricket at November 6, 2008 9:07 AM

I don't watch TV anymore because I'm so disgusted with it. Maybe if Barack is a Grey's Anatomy fan the suits might change their mind.

Posted by: Heather at November 6, 2008 9:07 AM

TV has always tried to tackle difficult subjects since the late 60's. All In The Family, The Jeffersons, and Sanford And Son are GREAT examples. And they did it with humor. ER has probably been the most recent to regularly deal with controversy and done it with elegance.

ABC, I think is just hampered with Disney and known as a family network. And remember, the TV's that are on are also on in small town America where that kind of stuff doesn't happen and it is offensive. They are granted their opinion just as anyone else.

But the phrase you used, "Clearly we, as a society, can't take it." I think in some aspect society may not be able to take it because it's so blatant. ABC has a responsibility to it's sponsors as well because the sponsors pay the bills. The suits are trying to protect their job and in a sense the writers livelihood as well.

Television, and any media for that matter, wants to make money and using sex in any form is very dangerous because to keep interest you have to go to the next higher level to keep your viewers attention. So, maybe a naughty little affair that's hinted at in the beginning, then next season it's a little more then a little more and by the end of series the show has changed to seeing what can we do that's so over the top we can't top it.

I think also that Grey's has had a difficult time in the press. They have some internal issues with this show or the actors because I don't hear about this with other networks or shows, although I don't doubt it goes on.

Knot

Posted by: Knot at November 6, 2008 9:14 AM

It doesn't make any sense to me. You hit the nail on the head with the whole violence is okay, but sex (of the gay kind for sure) is not.

I have always loved Grey's but there seems to be more turmoil on the production side than on the acting and storyline side right now; actually over the past little while. That tends to sour a show for me. Meredith has always annoyed the crap out of me and I'm considering dropping Grey's for Brothers & Sisters. I am move of an avid B & S follower than Grey's anyway. End the off-screen drama (or at least try and conceal it a little more) bc viewers are going to start disappearing. My 2 cents.

Posted by: Holly at November 6, 2008 9:15 AM

Am I alone in my thoughts that Katherine Heigl's head is WAY too large for her body? I say it to my wife all the time but she doesn't agree with me.

Posted by: Darren at November 6, 2008 9:22 AM

OMG, YES! I don't watch Grey's Anatomy (the whiny Ellen Pompeo thing got me after the first season) but I just don't get the hang up with sex on TV. Even my mom (possibly the most sheltered, prudish person you'll ever meet) doesn't get the whole violence is okay, sexuality isn't thing. I've been watching Torchwood (BBC Dr. Who spinoff) recently and it is so refreshing to see homosexuality/bisexuality (or "omnisexuality" as Capt. Jack refers to it) as just a casual, normal part of life. Is it because America was founded by Puritans? I mean, us North Americans came from Europe originally, so why such a huge difference in attitude?

Posted by: Jen at November 6, 2008 9:25 AM

Man, I had this long drawn out comment typed up and my computer flaked. Maybe it was a sign that my comment was too long.

Basically said, ABC handled the gayness well. Does anyone know if the ratings were dropping because of the story line? There weren't gratuitous girl on girl action scenes (like we get with the straight couples whipping off their clothes and hopping into bed with anyone). The couple was actually building their relationship.

The suits are idiots (or maybe they just think we are). Then again, I thought there was no way Prop 8 would pass.

Posted by: anna at November 6, 2008 9:33 AM

I used to love Grey's but think it's been going downhill starting last season. I'm not crazy about the plot as it is - though I can appreciate it the intent, for me it's just not working with the show as it was (too forced, Hahn is not being Hahn, etc.). As such I'm curious what the business decision (if any) behind this was. Was it simply that the suits weren't comfortable with The Gay, or that the audience wasn't responding well? Were the ratings dropping?

As much progress as we've made as a country and as a culture, we remain stuck on other issues. Prop 8 passing in California surprised and saddened me, and it serves as an important reminder that there is still much work to be done in this country.

I truly hope and believe that in 40 to 50 years we will look back on the treatment of gay individuals as second class citizens the way we now look at the treatment of African Americans 40+ years ago.

Posted by: Caitlin at November 6, 2008 9:33 AM

I don't like too see people cringe away from gay characters. TV shows should be a reflection of life around us. And - news flash - there are gay people all around us - and amen for that!

But that said - while the chemistry between those two actresses was great as friends, as lovers it left even the gay friendly me cringing. It was as as bad as George and Izzie. So, I won't miss them as a couple - not because they were gay, but because it was bad.

Posted by: Traci at November 6, 2008 9:34 AM

I have to second others. You could have warned us!

That said (and let me also say you are now my favorite girlfriend. Can I text you while I watch tonight??), I'm not sure how I feel about this. I hated Erica Hahn. I hope they fire her skinny ass for being a total prick to everyone. Except for Torres...because she doesn't actually have a prick...I digress.

Maybe there's a remake of Silence of the Lambs in the works. Brooke Smith was awesome in that!

Posted by: Candy at November 6, 2008 9:39 AM

Can I throw in an interesting twist? This is the same network that airs All My Children, my own personal shameful passion (for which I blame my mother, but that's another story). I bring this up because AMC has a history of being a groundbreaker when it comes to embracing gay characters and they have recently brought back Bianca, Erica Kane's daughter, who is gay. *And*, they've just this last week introduced us to her latest partner, who has proposed. *And*, Bianca and Reese (I think) have just given birth to a baby fathered through a donation - which, by the way, would be Bianca's second child so she's not only a gay woman, she's a mother raising her children in a "homosexual home."

So, is it the network? Or is it just more okay to address a wider variety of relationships on a daytime soap that already overemphasizes love and sex to an audience primarily composed of women and babies (there I go, exposing how I got hooked on AMC)?

Posted by: kate at November 6, 2008 10:04 AM

I find it as appalling as I find the three states that voted to ban same-sex marriage.

Posted by: Arwen at November 6, 2008 10:11 AM

Show me where Obama's big on gay rights. Even with his being a "socialist," there's no real track record that he gives a crap about every disenfranchised group. And if you look at some of the people he needed to win the election, like the black community, and the exit polls, you can see who really was the push behind prop. 8.

I am crushed that my friends' marriages are just a few votes away from being annulled. And that's as a person who goes to church EVERY week.

Posted by: alektra at November 6, 2008 10:32 AM

Well of course Shondra is saying it has nothing to do with the gay storyline. Frankly my personal opinion is I was not a fan of the character of Hahn. I found her abrasive and I found the storyline of her and Callie as awkward as the forced love relationship between George and Izzie. George and Izzie was great as best friends as was Callie and Hahn but as lovers, just doesn't work for me. I have no problem watching gay couples on TV. Heck I watched the entire series of Six Feet Under and there was some pretty sexy sex scenes on that show but it just does not work on Greys. Maybe it has nothing to do with people complaining or Disney and just that they realize that the storyline isn't working. This is me being optimistic. lol

Posted by: Dee at November 6, 2008 10:44 AM

I live with a gay man. I think a lot of you know that. And we live in South Dakota (read - red and conservative). The gay man is very aware of his own sexuality and knows that he will never be anything but gay and is just like me - looking for the love of his life. Quietly and unassumingly, that is. Why? Because he knows that the place we live is not gay friendly and it makes people very, very uncomfortable to perhaps see him in a kiss or an embrace. There's not a lot of public PDA in his life. If we lived somewhere else, that might be okay, but we don't and out of respect for our conservative neighbors (and probably for safety's sake) he keeps the gay to a minimum in public when he's with people who don't know or accept his lifestyle. Why give them reason to hate even more, is his philosophy.

Television however, is another thing entirely. If there were perhaps a few more shows that introduced gay characters and showed it in a respectful way, would our neighbors be so hateful? Would they maybe come to accept him a little more? Who knows. Time and patience. It saddens me that they're pulling away from the gay theme, but it will come back. I do believe that. Maybe not on this show, but on other shows. Because it is a lifestyle that is becoming more and more acceptable in today's society and I for one, welcome that.

Posted by: k8 at November 6, 2008 10:45 AM

In most areas, I'm pretty conservative. I don't think sex (gay or straight) belongs on TV where kids can find it too easily. I have a pretty low tolerance for violence. I think it's a mistake to let kids watch anything that gives them nightmares. And the abortion issue just gets me all twisty inside.

The limiting of gay relationships, however, is not something I fully understand or can even justify. Because, as you said, it's not hurting anyone else. And in California, particularly, I was completely surprised to find out that there are so many people against it.

I mean, for the sake of argument, let's say that homosexuality IS an "abomination to God." In this country, that's not enough of a reason by itself to ban it. If that's really the only reason so many people are against it, then isn't mandating a ban on gay marriage effectively forcing religious practices on everyone? My understanding is that marriage is universal and ancient - it's not monopolized by religious circles or traditions.

Posted by: Amy at November 6, 2008 11:06 AM

That sucks. And yeah, I don't get why love is squelched while violence is promoted. Blows my mind.

Especially for the Grey's Anatomy crowd. Really? This crew of sensationalism-loving relationship hounds can't take a committed gay relationship? Suits suck.

Posted by: Brad at November 6, 2008 11:17 AM

We seem to be largely a hypocritically puritanical country. I think the majority of folks have no problem whatsoever with being adult about what they see on television, but the country's morals appear to be passed down from a small group of individuals who feel that they know what's best for everyone. For example: The FCC. Asshats every one. I used to love listening to Don Geronimo go off on them. Mike doesn't do it so much.

The violence/sex thing makes no sense. There are also reality series on brutal prison life served up as entertainment fodder for voyeurs with a sick streak of enjoying other people's misery. Why is that alright?

Any relationship that's actually healthy would be a good thing to portray on TV, what with it being so rare in our society these days. I'm preaching to the choir, of course, but I fail to see the justification in straight people who can't get their own shit together telling another demographic that they can't do something.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 6, 2008 11:22 AM

Violence should be policed more also. I do agree with the minority that certain things should be shown later at night. But I also feel that parents should be the final word on what their children see. Unfortunately some parents do not have that much common sense. They just throw them a TV and don't bother to police what they are watching or at the very least use the parental controls that are built into most TV's now.

Yes, children can go out the front door and see everything from sex to violence, there is nothing we can do about that. But letting them see these things in our homes, it feels like we are endorsing that behavior if we don't at least make an attempt to limit their ability to see it. I try to be close at hand when my girls are watching TV so if anything gets by me I can at least discuss it with my girls. As they get older I will allow them more freedom to watch what they want, within reason, but only as long as it doesn't put undo emotional stress on them.

Darn, I'm rambling on your blog now too. You get my basic idea though right? I just want them to see age appropriate material and would prefer that the stations would put the more inappropriate material on later.

Shutting up now!

Posted by: Jeff A at November 6, 2008 11:31 AM

I too watch this show every week, maybe not on Thursday but I do record it.

I think that there is nothing wrong with showing a gay relationship if it is a healthy relationship. This is real life, it happens why can't we see it on tv. Maybe people in society would be more accepting of different types of relationships if they saw it as something normal.

There is way too much violence on tv, dead bodies, shootings, you name it. No wonder there is so much violence in real life, where do they think people learn that it is ok.

Posted by: Adi at November 6, 2008 11:39 AM

I do watch Grey's, however am enjoying Private Practice much more. As for Erica and Callie's relationship I didn't and don't see anything wrong with it. It's happening everywhere, people need to open their eyes. I am happy to hear that she will be leaving. I don't like her character or her as an actress. Not sure why, just don't.

Posted by: Dianna at November 6, 2008 11:42 AM

House has a lesbian character. Two weeks ago, they actually showed her getting it on a little. And it's not a script written for 17 year olds. Just throwing that out there.

Oh god, I just advocated for House. Shoot me.

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 6, 2008 12:35 PM

I used to love that show, but after the season where Meredith almost drowned, I lost interest. Why McDreamy wants anything to do with that whiney bag of bones is beyond me.

Posted by: peggy at November 6, 2008 12:46 PM

I think it's cowardly. It's okay to show the heterosexual couples having sex in an exam room (while ignoring patients) but omg, we can't have two women in a relationship. Viewers are not going to go out and marry a box turtle because two women (or two men) are on TV making out.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 6, 2008 1:42 PM

I think it shows that my thinking has evolved by the fact that I never thought about it being surprising that they were showing a lesbian couple on TV. I think that if they are canceling it tonight, then they just don't want to show a relationship past the sex.

Posted by: Heather at November 6, 2008 3:57 PM

I think it's sad that we think we are such an open minded forward thinking country, when obviously we aren't quite there yet. I haven't been crazy about Hahn's character, but it frustrates me that she is being kicked off for that reason.

In the same topic I am disgusted with my fellow Californians who passed Prop 8. I am married with two kids, and two chicks wanting to get married does not threaten my marriage. My kids will not suddenly become gay if they see a gay couple on TV and they certainly will not be harmed by learning that its okay to love whoever you want in school. Okay I'm going to climb down off my soapbox now before I fill up your comments with my ramblings.

Posted by: Steph at November 6, 2008 4:59 PM

I must have missed this, because I thought she left because she just adopted a baby from Ethiopia. But I'm not shocked. I wish I was, but after Prop 8 passed (which I wrote a whole post on) I am just not shocked anymore. Personally I think if we can watch them remove a brain or cut open a chest plate, we shouldn't have to cut out all gay and lesbian scenes from TV. It's just wrong.

Posted by: Issa at November 6, 2008 5:02 PM

i don't wanna boast but..
you can say shit and ass on canadian tv. and the f word but the bleep it. but you can say it.
i also watch grey's and wasn't surprised. tay and i were actually talking about it and wondering how long that story line would last on a tv station that wasn't hbo. not very long i guess.

Posted by: cri at November 6, 2008 5:06 PM

p.s.
what i want to know is why in the hell is it ok to market shows like GOSSIP GIRL to kids. i mean, come on. we all know the 12 and 13 year olds are soaking it up with stuff like that. all the little kids want to be like the big kids and do big kid stuff. that is what upsets me. i worked with kids that were 13 and under, and seriously its a huge problem. trying to explain reality vs. whats on television.

Posted by: cri at November 6, 2008 5:11 PM

I don't watch Grey's but I heard about this. It seemed to me like someone at ABC got nervous about "controversial" storylines.

I've never understood the violence is fine, sex is must not be seen mentality in this country.

Posted by: bad penguin at November 6, 2008 5:53 PM

Your first paragraph made me laugh because I too, watch Grey's Anatomy even though it bugs the holy hell out of me.

I was really happy to see Callie and Hahn get together and I thought Hahn's scene where she has the epiphany that she's gay was truly moving. I am really not buying that Hahn's character is not viable for the long run. Who does Rhimes think she's kidding with that one?

I think the suits like it best when the women on that show are whiny (hi Meredith), bake lots of muffins and act hysterical (hi Izzy), or decorate boys' lockers (oh my god Lexie).

Posted by: Librarian Girl at November 6, 2008 6:55 PM

Ah but we can show tampons on commercials now (next they will show us HOW to use them) and talk about the blue little pill...go figure!

Posted by: Gypsy at November 7, 2008 12:21 AM

I think that if you are watching a show like CSI or Criminal Minds or something, you know what you are getting into. You know there will be some level of disgusting bloody mess or some rape case, or something awful. With Grey's Anatomy they just sprang it on us without warning. There was no way to know that with my weekly serving of resident whiny drama, I would get subjected to a lesbian relationship. The producers should not give the viewers something distasteful they did not come for. I have missed Grey's the last few weeks, and I am probably not the only one who stopped watching because of the story line. They would not have taken Hahn off the show if ratings shot up. I thought the entire story line was weird and forced. Calllie was married and has repeated episodes of meaningless sex with McSteamy, but she likes the ladies? The whole dark cloud brought the show down, and I will be happy to pick up next week now that things have settled down.

Posted by: Tess at November 7, 2008 6:55 AM

Thank God I am not alone, Grey's Anatomy is the only show that my wife and I can agree on, for us it's a compromise; she won't ask me to watch the YA YA sisterhood and I don't ask her to watch UFC, what a great compromise.

Glad I am not the only one that Meredith is losing her sex appeal, whats going on with that?

Posted by: shane groah at November 9, 2008 1:20 PM

If they are cancelling it because it is gay (stupid), whatever. But if the are cancelling it because it is gay (homosexual), that's gay (stupid).

Posted by: Angela at November 11, 2008 6:02 PM

I agree, you can't make this stuff up! I love Grey's though. I also agree with how some things are ok, but some aren't, and that's ridiculous. Personally I am conservative, but I have a gay brother and that just turned my world upside down. I am now a super proud supporter of gay rights! See, I think there's a lot of ignorance in our society. I too was a victim of ignorance before I was exposed to it and I learned more about it, that's all it takes.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at December 8, 2008 9:19 PM

Money talks. I'm sure all this cutting of the gay story lines has to do with sponsors being pressured by the conservative right wing bible thumping nuts. Whenever I find myself not liking what i see on the television i.e. the bachelor (which is nauseating) or whatever i might find offensive. I simply reach for the remote and switch channels. Easy problem solved. Now, if I could only find a remote that could delete ignorant, homophobic, hate mongering bigots! The world would be a better place. "live and let live".

Posted by: j. gomez at December 30, 2008 11:15 PM