November 3, 2008

Halloween, The Wizard, and Politics

This weekend was dominated by three things - Halloween, The Wizard of Oz and political anxiety.

First, Halloween. As I may have mentioned, Mia's passion for The Little Mermaid runs deep and strong and burns with the power of a thousand suns. She was, therefore, Ariel. Owen was Sebastian. And yeah, we're very well aware of the fact that his costume was indeed a lobster costume and not a crab but no one seemed to know the difference most importantly, Mia or Owen themselves. Owen lasted about, oh, half a block and then got pretty steamed (heh). Mia, however, was raring to go. It seems as though trick or treating is pretty much smack dab in her wheelhouse, like she was born to do it. We knocked on doors, collected the goods and allowed the cries of she's adorable to wash over us. After all, it was true. After an hour or so, we'd both had enough. Mia's plastic pumpkin was so full that I had to carry it home. When we returned, we dumped it all out on the coffee table and surveyed the haul. It was pretty impressive.

Second, The Wizard of Oz. We read The Wizard of Oz aloud to Mia last month. She was enthralled. I was shocked. She's a little bundle of energy yet she remained absolutely silent and attentive while we were reading. Despite the lack of pictures. She's talked about it constantly since. We decided to rent the movie. Unsurprisingly, it was a great big hit. The movie is a little over 100 minutes long and I can assure you that we have acted out nearly every single minute. We've sung the songs and when we haven't known the words we've made up words. I somehow suspect that this isn't the last time we've seen the movie. Oh, and I can tell you that while Beth went out on Sunday morning to work for Obama, I did what every good father would do with their kids - tested that Dark Side of The Moon/Wizard of Oz theory. Turns out the urban legend long-denied by Pink Floyd is right on.

Finally, the political anxiety. I'm anxious about the election. As much as I love politics, as into the election as I am, I'm done. I wore my Obama shirt out trick-or-treating with Mia. This being Virginia, I got some funny looks and I'm pretty sure that Mia got shortchanged some candy because of it. And on Sunday when we visited my parents - who have two Obama signs in their front yard - they showed me what they'd received from the neighborhood homeowners association (of which they're not technically a part):

Who does that? All I know is that this election has brought out both the best and worst in people. And I'd like fewer reminders how much people suck for a while.

What did you guys do this weekend? And are you as nervous about the election as I am?

Posted by Chris at November 3, 2008 6:17 AM
Comments

I am nervous too. I don't even feel like I CAN put a sign in my yard without my neighbors hating me or having it stolen. I saw one Obama sign on my street and it only last a day and a half. Gone. Just the wires stuck in the grass.

What angers me is that I don't care if McCain people put signs in their yard. I don't steal them or deface them. The Republicans are absolutely shitting their pants over this with fear. I have heard people speak with desperation that HE (Obama) is going to ruin them. Run them out of business. Which if they had REALLY done their homework, they would discover that the two candidates economic plans are not that far apart. Obama is honest about taxes. McCain wants to go down the whole "Read my Lips No New Taxes" but you know what? That promise was an empty one too. We aren't getting out of this mess without paying a little something more.

Posted by: Debbie at November 3, 2008 6:51 AM

Played with the dogs and then yesterday actually went on a hike with all four of them! Yeah, I am either brave or stupid!
I think this has been the worst campaign ever. On both sides. I will be grateful when it is over!
BTW: There is a very short video of my hike on Dackel Princess. I watches it again this morning and it just looks cold!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 3, 2008 6:57 AM

My God, I am terrified. I think my car was egged the other night because I have an Obama bumper sticker on it. Our house is the only blue house in a town full of red state voters, so that's a pretty scary feeling. I am so ready for this to be over!

Posted by: Stephanie at November 3, 2008 7:04 AM

Mia and Owen are absolutely adorable.

I am nervous but I can't wait for this dang election to be over. I have an Obama sticker on the back of my car. Yesterday as my 4 year old and I stopped at Sonic to get a drink before getting the oil changed in my car, a truck load of boys whose age I would speculate to be somewhere closer to 4 than 25 started commenting loudly on it with more than a few obscenities laced in. I didn't even turned my head. We paid for your drinks, threw the car in reverse and left. My 4 year old then asks, "Mama, why were those boys yelling?" The only answer I could think of that didn't involve more than she could understand was "Because they don't have very good manners." And then she dropped it. Thankfully her questions wasn't "What does f*ck mean?" Why to people act like that?

Posted by: Jen at November 3, 2008 7:07 AM

I am terrified about this election. The glass-half-full part of me wants to believe that goodness and youth will prevail, and we will have Obama. The glass-half-empty part of me, especially after the last two elections, is convinced that the whole thing is rigged by the Republicans and we are doomed to suffer endlessly for it. I hope my inner pessimist is wrong. And as for the nasty note your parents received...yes, it's sad, but if it had landed on my front door, I'd be thanking my lucky stars it wasn't rotten eggs, broken windows or worse. I'd put nothing past the rabid repubs at this point.

Posted by: Michelle at November 3, 2008 7:24 AM

Plied only a few trick or treaters with candy Friday night (great, now I have to eat the rest!); college football game on Saturday and did a little needed housecleaning on Sunday. Your weekend sounds like it was more fun than mine.

Yeah, I'm a little anxious about election day and I'll probably be glued to my tv Tuesday night. I haven't noticed any damaged signs around town and haven't faced any negativity about my choice. I think the few people I discuss politics with pretty much feel the way I do - that we need a change.

Posted by: NancyJak at November 3, 2008 7:27 AM

That's really quite scary (The note that is...the costumes are just scarily cute :P ) Like, it's a difference of opinion - one EITHER candidate would happily agree is your right. And people's stories already! Oy! I understand getting fired up about your candidate, and even disliking the other one - but why would you interfere with people's right to voice their own opinions on their own lawn or car? That is just.so.wrong!

Posted by: Heather at November 3, 2008 7:39 AM

I have mentioned this before that this is the first time in a presidential election that I haven't seen a bare minimum of presidential signs in peoples lawns, it's bizarre. I live in NH where people are pretty proud to display signs. In fact, they will have 5 signs for every other person they are electing for senate, governor, sheriff etc. but missing is their presidential choice, I've only seen a few mccain and a few obama signs scattered across the towns I frequently travel through it's very bizarre. Also, A mccain sign was vandalized on our street, of course a beer bottle was by it, so I'm assuming some drunk kids. I stopped my car and fixed the signs that were ripped out of the yard and I just fixed them and went on my merry way. It's disturbing that people would go to the trouble to do that to someone elses yard. Grow up.

Posted by: Dee at November 3, 2008 7:46 AM

The kids look great.

As far as the note from the HA...You would think the individual who did that would have guts at least to sign their own name.

Posted by: William at November 3, 2008 8:02 AM

I love their costumes.

I'm done with this election too. There are too many petty individuals.

I was off for a week, so I didn't do much this weekend. Chores around the house mostly.

Posted by: Maria at November 3, 2008 8:06 AM

I'm so saddened by some people's behaviour during this election. Like the lady who refused to give candy to children if their parents supported Obama. People who can't separate politics from their personal life really need a reality check. Its wonderful to support a candidate, and to have a passion but if you (the collective you, not YOU) are not personally running for office, I cant understand why you take this election so personally. My husband and I have lost two very dear friends. Well, we thought they were dear friends. They refuse to speak to us because we support Obama. Havent even discussed it with us, just being all kinds of passive aggressive and leaving remarks on myspace and facebook about how you are judged by the character of those you associate with and they are re-examining their friends! WTF?!?! Sad, very sad that people can't be more accepting.

Posted by: Lisa at November 3, 2008 8:06 AM

What's this "WE don't like Obama in this neighborhood" bullshit? Obviously, as at least ONE resident of the neighborhood with a sign - the WE is not all inclusive of the neighborhood. And who would presume to speak for a whole neighborhood?

I am PETRIFIED of this election - and I plan to be there soon after polls open tomorrow to cast my vote (which will be cancelled out by my mother's, unfortunately). I'm sick of hearing people who have no clue what their talking about spouting off random hooey just to hear themselves talk. Granted, it's not unusual, and people ALWAYS do it - but when it comes to politices, people tend to do it more.

I am hoping that at the very least it's smooth sailing and we don't have any of that recount crap. I don't think I could handle that.

Posted by: Sarah at November 3, 2008 8:07 AM

That note is all kinds of crazy and wrong. I'm really nervous for this election too, as a Canadian looking in... My fingers are crossed.

Posted by: suze at November 3, 2008 8:13 AM

I'm nervous about the election and I have no connection to the US at all. Seeing notes like that makes it worse. I've never heard of something like that happening in the UK, people would probably just put more and more signs for the opposing party up, but probably not send notes like that.

Having said that, I'm expecting the referendum on Scottish independence to bring out the worst in people when it comes in 2010.

Posted by: Katherine at November 3, 2008 8:21 AM

I fully expected the rest of that note to say, "Not with a fox, not in a box."

Just a little levity to lighten the tension.

Knot

Posted by: Knot at November 3, 2008 8:26 AM

Holy shit! Too bad your parents couldn't return the favor with a "we don't like ignorant assholes in our neighborhood." Although I guess I should not be surprised - we got W for 8 years exactly because of people like that.

Posted by: Shelly at November 3, 2008 8:26 AM

Extremely anxious about tomorrow... did you see this?

I thought of it when I read about that awful note.

Posted by: Laura GF at November 3, 2008 8:36 AM

I am nervous about the election but since what will be will be, I am really more anxious about voting. I live in a town with a pop. of only 200,000 and I plan to show right at 7. I am worried that I'll still have to wait an hour and I'm going to have my 14 month old son with me. Though, I guess the line is good in that it means people are actually getting out to vote!

Posted by: Claire at November 3, 2008 8:43 AM

Heck, I'm north of the border, and terrified Obama WON'T win. I love you guys and all, but I still cannot muster the faith it takes to believe you won't collectively do what you did four years ago again, in spite of the mountain of evidence. Sigh. I am crossing my fingers.

Posted by: Martin at November 3, 2008 8:51 AM

I will be glad when the election is over! I am too worried that we will once again suffer, as California did not so many years ago, from the "Bradley Effect", where everyone chose Bradley (a black Democrat running for Gov.) publicly and in the pre-election polls, but when it came to casting votes, just couldnt "pull the lever" for a black man. . . .

I can only hope that our country has moved past that, can put their prejudice aside in favor of choosing the right person for the job despite the color of his (or her) skin.

We NEED Obama, and we need him NOW! The thought of what our country will suffer with McCain as president is just scary.

Posted by: 3jaysmom at November 3, 2008 8:56 AM

Went to a college District 1 football game and they played a HYMN during the halftime show? Live in a red state? Why yes I do.

I'm a bit nervous. I don't know how we'll get by another 4 years if McCain is president. I don't know that I'm all that hopeful that Obama will be able to do much to fix all that is wrong...I think it will take a lot longer than 4 or 8 years...but I can't imagine life continuing as it is...

Posted by: daisy at November 3, 2008 9:01 AM

Is that even from the real neighborhood association? Not that I doubt the association could be comprised of such asshats ... that note just doesn't look very official. Maybe they're just lazy asshats.

I'm very anxious about the election. My thoughts on it are very similar to Michelle's.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 3, 2008 9:05 AM

I killed a man just to watch him die.

Also, yard work. The last mow of the year, probably, accompanied by the general cleaning up of the front and back lawn areas. I also fertilized everything. So, I was Johnny GreenThumb on Saturday prior to settling in for college football, which in the Fall is about as perfect a Saturday as there exists in my little world.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 3, 2008 9:08 AM

damn right im nervous and its obama supporters that are doing it. So tired of this "mccain is more bush"...did people think they were getting 8 more years of Reagan when bush sr was elected??

this is going to turn out very badly...

Posted by: Darren at November 3, 2008 9:12 AM

The intensity of American Politics baffles me to no end. I'll leave it at that.

At Halloween, candy & chocolate are the treats for the kids and the verbal comments about our children are the treats for the adults. Wouldn't you agree?

My weekend was photos, socializing, and shoving candy into my mouth by the trailer load. Classy.

Posted by: Holly at November 3, 2008 9:14 AM

I'm constantly worried about my car because of the Obama/Biden stickermabob. But, I live in Chicago. Even if there are people who don't like Obama in this neighborhood, they're quieter.

That's really unsettling, the note your parents got. I mean, I see McCain/Palin signs out in the burbs, and you don't see me leaving notes.

But I guess that's the difference.

Thank goodness it's over tomorrow...ish.

Posted by: Caleal at November 3, 2008 9:21 AM

First I totally went trick or treating, I LOVE Halloween! I also had an Ariel (complete w/ the seashell bra...)

I also introduced my girls to a classic this weekend, E.T. - big hit! I'd totally forgotten how sad the end is. I can neither confirm nor deny that I sniffled a bit. ;)

Posted by: Kris at November 3, 2008 9:28 AM

This weekend was the first time you tested the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz? That suprises me.

It's supercool, isn't it!

FYI you can't use the Wizard of Oz anniversary edition so I heard- but the one before that works perfectly. It's absolutely fucking brilliant.

Posted by: jessica at November 3, 2008 9:50 AM

I am so nervous about the election! I hope people like you and your parents are enough to swing Virginia to Obama.

It is so funny that you tried the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz thing. Naturally, my Pink Floyd loving husband has tried it too :)

Posted by: bad penguin at November 3, 2008 9:56 AM

One of my fondest memories of my early childhood (3-4 years old, based on where we were living) was acting out the Wizard of Oz with my dad.

If you guys had stopped by our place, we would have given you EXTRA candy for the Obama shirt (and b/c Mia is adorable, of course).

Posted by: Stephanie at November 3, 2008 9:57 AM

Love the pictures!

Just wait till Mia watches Mary Poppins, my daughter, who's 3, sat through the entire movie as well and we watch bits & pieces of it now daily. Luckily it's one of my fav's as well.

Will be anxiously awaiting the results of the election...

Posted by: Gabriella at November 3, 2008 9:59 AM

We were flying back from Hawaii on Halloween.

Living in a new neighborhood, we didn't dare put out an Obama sign and we kept the bumper stickers off of our cars too. We decided it wasn't worth the trouble and yes, we felt it would have been stolen. Our county has usually gone GOP and we didn't want any issues with our new neighbors.

Weekend was spent washing clothes and trying to regroup for the return to our routine.

I expect a massive crushing of Senator McCain, but until every vote is accepted and counted--I'm nervous given what all has happened the last 8 years.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 3, 2008 9:59 AM

What was most interesting about the wicked witch in Detroit is that Fox News carried it and was sympathetic. There may be hope.

I took the weekend off except for watching a lot of MSNBC. Right now, Palin is on CNN with the volume turned down.

Later today, I'll be doing phone banks for a couple of hours and then will be out with my No on 8 sign from 4:30 to 6. The weatherperson is predicting rain of course.

I'm nervous about this election. I have a long record of voting for the losers. I've had 2 Presidential winners since 1960 - JFK (my first Presidential election - I was 22 and the voting age then was 21) and Bill Clinton (3 if you count Clinton twice). I even lost the Democratic Primary this year. Oh, well - GO OBAMA!!. To my eternal regret, I didn't vote for Jimmy Carter either time. I was wrong.

Prop 8 (outlawing same sex marriage) has become ugly as I knew it would. A Unitarian Church in Fresno was vandalized, signs are stolen almost as fast as we can put them up. The Fresno Mayor is Alan Autry ("Bubba" from Heat of the Night) and is one of the best arguments for term limits even though I disapprove of them on principle. On the other hand, he claims he's received death threats but then so have we.

My younger son and his partner thought about marriage before the election but decided to wait. They may have to go to Massachusetts or Connecticut. It's so wrong!!

I will be so glad to see Tuesday night arrive. Keep all your fingers and toes crossed.

Afterthought. My oldest granddaughter, now 19, was very young when Mermaid came out. She watched it over and over and her dad (now in Iraq) can still sing all the songs. We still call her the Mermaid. She's as independent as Ariel - not a bad role model for a little girl.

Posted by: Ann Adams at November 3, 2008 10:00 AM

Very nervous. I live in Europe and refuse to tell people who I'm voting for. I don't want them telling me I'm doing the right thing if I vote for Obama and I don't want the boos if I vote for McCain. It's my choice and not their place to say anything. I'm worried what will happen either way - but more worried about what will happen if the GoP gets the vote. I just feel so powerless, here, as if there's very little I can do to change things. My vote even went out a month ago, as an absentee vote.

You have no idea how much I appreciate reading someone else's views on this stuff, as much as in your writing as in the comments.

Posted by: Hannah at November 3, 2008 10:09 AM

We are at alert level red: HIGH ANXIETY. We are sleeping poorly (or not at all) and we can't go more than an hour without switching on MSNBC. We are constantly at http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_politics and 538. It is all we talk about. WE ARE ANXIOUS.

The people in your parents' neighborhood are douchebags. So now you have to conform to political views to live in certain neighborhoods. Absolutely ridiculous. I will, within the confines of my own home or car or whatever, mock people with McCain-Palin signs in their yards or whatever but they have a right to do that, so I'm not going to tell them they CAN'T. I'm glad we live in the liberal corridor of NC. lol

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 3, 2008 10:11 AM

Lets see, the girls and I went trick or treating Friday, Saturday was a blur, and Sunday I went to watch the Colts beat the Patriots!

As far as the election goes, well I will be glad when it is over too. According to a few of the comments above, apparently it isn't only the Republicans who are being asshats. I have seen a lot of hate on BOTH sides of the fence. But not all are hateful. While we may not agree on all things, I think the one thing we can all agree on is we just want whats best for our country.

Posted by: Jeff A at November 3, 2008 10:17 AM

Leda was gonna be Little Mermaid, but woke up Friday morning wanting to be Cinderella. Orignally she wanted to be a Blue Fairy. Luckily, when I ran out to the store to see if I could find Cinderella, I found a Blue Fairy...Score!

Mia and Owen are cute!

Yesterday was my day for canvasing for Obama...husband is doing it today. We are in PA, so the phone calls are non-stop, the canvasing is non-stop...it's crazy.

There's also been reports of robocalls in our area telling people to vote on 11/5. These make me madder than the ones that tell people they will be arrested at the polling place if they try to vote and they have a traffic ticket. Not sure why...it's just so disingenuous...all of it is. I can't wait for all of this to be over. I'm hoping that we can pop open the champagne tomorrow night.

Posted by: cyndy at November 3, 2008 10:25 AM

I am horrified that we're going to wake up Wednesday and it's going to be in the Red Zone...horrified. Mainly because of all the stuff coming out now about the voting issues from 2000 and 2004...even though the polls show that Big Blue has a strong/commanding lead.

I have already voted and I hope everyone that can is going to vote; please just vote!

Posted by: Michelle at November 3, 2008 10:27 AM

Mia & Owen look adorable, of course!

I'm so nervous about tomorrow - I keep reading/hearing about people who get to the polls and there's a 4 or 6 hour line so they leave because they don't have time to wait. I can only hope those people were planning to vote McCain. Despite what all of the polls are saying, I won't believe it until all of the votes are in and counted - nothing is certain until then, and quite frankly the media reporting that he's ahead and blah, blah, blah adds to my concerns b/c I worry some Obama supporters (like people in areas with heavy turnout and long waits to vote) will stay home instead of voting b/c they think it's in the bag. I read somewhere that Republicans traditionally do better in turnout on election day, so it is going to be a tense couple of days yet.

I had planned to go to PA to canvass for Obama this weekend, but wound up with an infection in a tooth I had a root canal on earlier this year. Umm, ouch. Also, too tired to do much beyond nap and watch CNN/MSNBC most of the weekend. I worked from home today in hopes that I can join my brother canvassing for Obama in our town tonight. I'm very proud of my brother - this is the first time he's ever signed up to do anything like this. Politics has never really been his thing, but he believes very strongly in Obama and wants to help which I think is cool.

That sign your folks received was lame - about as lame as neighborhood associations in the first place. I like that your parents don't belong to the association - and now they will probably never join!

Posted by: erin at November 3, 2008 10:33 AM

One more - She's adorable. So is the lobster/crab guy.

I suppose you'll buy the Wizard of Oz movie.
Cas
We have lots of Obama and McCain signs around here. This area is usually Republican as a whole, and I'm not sure if that's true this election.

I'm pretty sure I've decided all the people I'll be voting for. One candidate who is running for office used to be my boss when I worked for that giant pharm company. I liked him then, and I guess I still do.

Posted by: cassie-b at November 3, 2008 10:40 AM

Friday night was trick-or-treating with Princess Leia and a scurvy pirate. Saturday and Sunday was digging through the candy stash fruitlessly looking for Hawkins Cheezies. Sigh, none this year. And manfully (womanfully?) resisiting the siren call of the mini Kit Kat bars.

And leaf raking. Endless leaf raking.

As for the election down there, I'm just happy it'll be over soon. In the time that you guys started your primaries, our guys called an election, held the campaign (37 days), voted in a government that has already lost its novelty and we are now bored with them. The way it should be.

And no one sent any mean letters to me about who I supported.

Posted by: alison at November 3, 2008 10:54 AM

My theory is:

Form your opinion, express it, and be proud.

Even if you vote for Humpy Dumpty.

The weekend was Halloween overload, but rather fun w/ silly string, water balloons, and toilet paper among a pair of 12 yr old boys and a trio of 12 yr old girls who screamed so loud as boys erupted from bushes and shrubs while spraying silly string that neighbors (who never come out) came out of their houses to see if everything was ok.

The mothers sort of coordinated these efforts, all in fun, pure fun.

Posted by: steff at November 3, 2008 10:56 AM

you should totally send that picture of the note to passiveaggressivenotes.com... that's just crazy!

but the kids were very cute for halloween!

Posted by: kati at November 3, 2008 11:13 AM

I'm sure it wasn't very funny to your parents, but that sign is cracking me up. I can just picture some silver-haired, wanna-be blue blood with a sweater tossed jauntily over her shoulders sneering "We don't like OBAMA in this neighborhood" through her locked and lifted jaw.

Eeesh. Did I fall asleep and wake up in 1952? (Hey, we still have the internet! It's all okay!)

Posted by: Alias Mother at November 3, 2008 12:52 PM

Posted by: alektra at November 3, 2008 12:55 PM

We hosted a Halloween party that was a lot of fun and I came in to work for some unusually productive several hours.

I am very nervous about the election. The way Missouri votes is the way the nation votes (http://www.270towin.com/states/Missouri hasn't been "wrong" since Eisenhower) and I know far too many McCain supporters to make me comfortable.

Posted by: Melissa at November 3, 2008 1:13 PM

Nervous about the election? I'm positively freaked out. Eating and drinking myself silly. Not. Good. I'm hoping to have a better perspective tomorrow night.

Posted by: bhd at November 3, 2008 1:22 PM

We enjoyed the last of an unseasonably warm Fall.

I'm so nervous, you'd think I have a big game to play tomorrow night. I don't want to think about how emotionally tied up I am in this thing. I mean, I don't post hateful signs anywhere, but I'm invested all the same.

Posted by: Brad at November 3, 2008 1:47 PM

Your kids are welcome in my neighborhood anytime. We love Obama. Bring on the HOPE.

BTW - don't forget to get your Starbucks tomorrow.

Posted by: DC Urban Dad at November 3, 2008 1:58 PM

I went to Philadelphia to bask in the love! No actually, I went to Philadelphia to procure a turducken and some goodies for the pre-holiday feasting. While I was there, I got to bask in the Phillies Love that permeated the city.

And drank mimosas at 11:00 am in the city's 'best' dive bar.

Posted by: Amy at November 3, 2008 2:18 PM

wow. that sign makes me so angry.

i guess that's one good thing about being an american in canada right now...

Posted by: ali at November 3, 2008 2:27 PM

Wow, scary. What's wrong with people??

Posted by: Jess at November 3, 2008 2:40 PM

IS it odd that I am a Conservative supporter in Canada yet I am PRAYING that A democrat takes the office in the USA?

I will be watching the election coverage Tuesday night - this is truly an important and historic election. Either way, the Americans get a much needed change (anything but more Bush hey???).

Posted by: Sleepynita at November 3, 2008 3:04 PM

I'm done with the election. I can't take it anymore. What will happen, will happen. It makes me sick to my stomach what might happen tomorrow, but I try not to think about it. And signs like those? Shows that ignorance is alive and well in America. Frightening, isn't it?

Posted by: k8 at November 3, 2008 4:32 PM

I'm a little nervous. It will impact the world. More than anything that your electronic voting machines will go kaput! I don't understand the reference to Virginia. Is it a Republican safe spot?

Posted by: Heather at November 3, 2008 4:46 PM

First, the Pink Floyd comment is very weird timing. I'm taking a History of R&R class (needed an elective)and we just today watched a video on Pink Floyd and talked about the Wizard of Oz thing.
Moving on, Mia and Owen were both adorable as you've heard many times by now.
As for the election both nervous and anxious. And partly excited for the ridiculous amounts of political ads to be finished.

Posted by: Dianna at November 3, 2008 5:40 PM

I am nervous about it and I am all the way in Australia. I woke this morning with a pit of anxiety in my stomach..like an exam that you hope you get right but just don't know what will happen on the day. You know that feeling? I hope you all get it right on the day. Good luck! Go Obama!

Posted by: Beth at November 3, 2008 5:55 PM

How cute are those babies???? So sweet!

Seriously, someone sent that to your parents? That's freakin' hilarious! Last I checked, it was a free-ish country and we could choose whom we voted for.

This morning a woman came in and she was wearing a McCain/Palin button. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut as I'm work.

I already mailed in my ballot. Obama for President!!!

Posted by: zanie at November 3, 2008 5:58 PM

Go Obama! And yes, I'm a little nervous! I can't believe someone left that note, just wow.

Posted by: kami at November 3, 2008 6:53 PM

Cute costumes and go Obama! Well my fiance is from a Mccain supporting town and it does bring out the worst in people since we are Obama supporters.

So ever since he proposed to me with a gorgeous diamond engagement ring from www.idonowidont.com, we are moving to Chicago aka Obama-town where we'll have our wedding!

Posted by: MichelleB at November 3, 2008 7:12 PM

Holy crap are your kids cute in those costumes. LOVE THEM.

And who does that? With that note? WTF seriously. GO OBAMA!! I've got just about everything crossed for tomorrow that I possibly can. Being in CA, I've got Prop 8 to worry about, and the presidential campaign is just.. scary. Oh here's a cute election tale for you.. A friend of a friend's kid was having a mock election in school. The child said that they voted for "the brown one" because if the old guy died, the woman didn't know anything. Out of the mouth of babes.

Posted by: Teenuh at November 3, 2008 7:48 PM

Your parents neighbors are ominous.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at November 3, 2008 7:55 PM

I know you had 2 other topics, but the politics got me. People are strange.

At least your state looks like it may go blue- that would teach those neighborhood association types.

Posted by: Whit at November 3, 2008 8:12 PM

Here is the biggest suckage ever:

That lady earned her own room in hell on Halloween.

But your kids? CUTE as hell.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 3, 2008 10:31 PM

You know, it's the stories of the rude, obnoxious people like that (the ones that left your parents a note and the other stories in the comments) who remind me just how much I'm REALLY happy to be Canadian. :)

Posted by: Scattered Mom at November 3, 2008 10:59 PM

Our weekend was filled with candy, candy and more candy.

And considering that every morning on my way to work I have to look at all the McCain/Palin signs in my neighborhood...yes, I'm very, very nervous. At least I'm not as low as to leave signs on their doors. *sigh*

Posted by: Samantha at November 3, 2008 11:00 PM

Oh my effing God I am so PO'd after reading this. I am also trying to give up swearing and sucking at it so far, thanks for asking. But WTF?? Isn't that what this country is all about? Celebrating diversity and freedom of speech and free will and all that?? I am in shock over the note your parents received. And frankly, it pisses me off. I consider myself a liberal conservative, but in all honesty, I tend to lean to the right. And I know as a grown up you can respect my opinions just as I respect yours. I HATE this war, I fully support gun control, I am voting YES on gay marriage tomorrow and I know for a fact outlawing abortion is not going to stop it from happening. I may lean a little more conservative, but I'm also a pragmatist. But people who pull stupid crap like this make people like me look bad. We're not all crazy, greedy, clinic bombing gay bashers. Some of us really nice people.

Oh and just so you know I tried your weekly time sucker game of naming the countries. I am also apparently a mother effing idiot who has no idea where 99% of the countries in Africa are. Thanks for the kick to the self esteem Chris. You're a peach.

Posted by: April at November 3, 2008 11:26 PM

Apparently, a local high school was promoting that Obama isn't really a US Citizen, and is actually a terrorist in hiding. Awesome. They even wore shirts that stated "Obama and Osama BFF." The best part? When the ordeal was covered by the media, you should have seen the insane comments that people left on the news website. I am so tired of the lies, the ridiculous smears, and the stupidity - from both sides.

Even my mom shocked me with her comment on why she voted for McCain. If she had listed out his platforms that she agreed with, I would never have questioned her. But she said she didn't like that people were voting for Obama just because he was black. Yet she had no reason not to support him herself. Including the fact that she actually leans towards a Democrat platform.

Posted by: at November 4, 2008 9:27 AM

You children are adorable, I have to say that first.

Now on to that sign? That is so f-ed up. WE don't like Obama? Get over yourself.

Posted by: Kimberly at November 4, 2008 9:09 PM

So, what, they put it to a vote? Asshats.

Posted by: Tink at November 7, 2008 4:25 PM

I find it odd that someone would presume to speak for the whole neighborhood with a hastily hand-scrolled sign. And apparently it doesn't matter if the neighborhood likes him or not, he's sticking around. :p to them.

Posted by: Poppy at November 14, 2008 9:37 PM

The mortgage loans suppose to be very useful for people, which want to start their own organization. By the way, that is very comfortable to receive a sba loan.

Posted by: FerrellALISSA at June 4, 2011 7:31 PM