November 17, 2008

Birthdays, Big-Ass Birds and High School Musicals

This weekend, we celebrated Beth's birthday. On Friday night we got ourselves a giant pile of pasta - fettuccine alfredo - and finished the dinner with birthday eclairs, Beth's favorite. And cupcakes. Then, granting Beth's birthday wish, we sat down and watched Sex And The City which was really and truly awful. Those of us with penises are just not programmed to like something like that. The director really could have thrown in some explosions and more gratuitous nudity. Unfortunately, during all this fun and bad movies, Owen managed to come down with a pretty evil cold and an accompanying cough. This meant that, when Saturday rolled around, Mia and I headed out to our normal weekly swimming class and returned home so Beth could take Mia to a birthday party. I hung with Owen. We watched a concert DVD and coughed.

On Saturday evening, the grandparents came over while I took Beth out for her birthday dinner. We had a wonderful evening of Burmese food (think Thai combined with Indian) but missed our movie-going window. So we hit the bookstore and Starbucks instead. Yeah, we're crazy when turned loose.

I was awakened early by Mia's arms wrapped around my neck. Not a bad way to get up. Then a big ass bird decided to hang out in our yard and that was kinda cool.

Later, Mia decided she wanted to go for a jog so Beth obliged.

Then Mia and I went to a high school musical. Not the High School Musical but, instead, an actual musical held at my old high school. (On a somewhat related noted, it's a really strange feeling to walk your kid through your old school. I even showed her where my old locker was. Bizarre.) The musical was not nearly as tragically bad as it could have been. I don't think there was ever that much talent back when I was in high school. Still, it was a little too long for Mia so we caved, went home about a half hour early, ate dinner and got in bed. Because we were just uber-wiped out.

I did make one very important discovery this weekend. I found out more about the afterlife than I ever thought I would. While Mia and I were drawing pictures for the great grandparents...

Mia: I'm drawing this one for great-grandma Pearl.
Me: Oh, that's nice. But great-grandma Pearl died, right?
Mia: Yeah, I know. We can just mail it to her.
Me: Oh, uh, okay. I think that'll be hard.
Mia: Why?
Me: Well, we don't really know where people go after they die.
Mia: That's easy. Ohio.
Me: Oh. Now I know. Mystery solved.

So, that's it ladies and gentlemen. When you slip the surly bonds of earth and shed this mortal coil, don't be surprised if you end up in Ohio.

What were your weekends all about? And how do you feel about an eternity in Ohio?

Posted by Chris at November 17, 2008 6:33 AM
Comments

Weekend- Average blegh for me.
Ohio- but I tried to lead a good life, that isn't fair!

Posted by: Jeff A at November 17, 2008 6:49 AM

Ohio isn't so bad.... especially if you're well enough off and have a place with bells and whistles up on Lake Erie. If you don't, it's still not THAT bad. It's easy to find your own little slice of heaven here. :-)

Posted by: ironic1 at November 17, 2008 7:20 AM

I'm already in Ohio, and have been for my whole life. Should I be worried? On the other hand, this might explain some things.

Happy snowy Monday from Ohio!

Posted by: Veronica at November 17, 2008 7:21 AM

Makes sense...Most Ohio State Buckeye fans are brain dead.

Posted by: harrylips at November 17, 2008 7:43 AM

Ohio- hell, whats the difference?

Posted by: Lisa at November 17, 2008 7:54 AM

As someone with a vagina...I too though Sex in the City was a pretty awful movie and I adored the series. So don't worry not all women think this was the best movie ever.

Posted by: Deirdre at November 17, 2008 8:07 AM

Ohio? OMG. Please never let me die. Now if she said Hawaii I would be okay with that but OHIO, gaw...

The usual running around like chickens with our heads cut off. Oh and Christmas shopping which is kind of like spending eternity in Ohio ;)

Posted by: Christina at November 17, 2008 9:07 AM

You take such wonderful photos of your kids! I hope Owen is feeling better. And as for Ohio, I've never been there, so I can't comment on its resemblance to heaven or hell.

It was all about the kids at my place this weekend: we went skating (twice), saw Madagascar 2, baked banana bread and made home-made pizza, and had a Sorry! tournament. It was great.

Posted by: alison at November 17, 2008 9:10 AM

Ohio? I know that I've been kind of bad on occasion, but man. Eternity in Ohio? That's worse than purgatory.

Posted by: Kate at November 17, 2008 9:13 AM

My weekend was nice, but not nearly as eventful as yours. I bought a new pair of boots, ate Thai food, cleaned the house and went to a new kickboxing class. Oh, and John and I saw Quantum of Solace, which was not as good as Casino Royale.

Posted by: bad penguin at November 17, 2008 9:55 AM

I love your family. They are so awesome :) The picture of Beth & Mia stretching is *adorable*.

This weekend we went to the Prop 8 protest. Pictures at my Flickr! That was pretty awesome. It poured about halfway through. Lots of big wet fun :) Then...we came home and we were both asleep by 8:30. We single ladies, WE KNOW WHAT FUN IS! Yesterday we ran some errands but that was pretty much it. Oh! We watched the documentary on Jonestown that MSNBC aired. It was really good. Sad but good.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 17, 2008 9:55 AM

My husband is from Ohio and the one time I went there, it was negative elven degrees so you know, I'd prefer eternal life to be somewhere more like Hawaii.

Posted by: Claire at November 17, 2008 10:03 AM

is THAT why the voting process in Ohio is so hard to figure out?

makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: chatty cricket at November 17, 2008 10:14 AM

Two things....I'm from ohio...lol maybe mia's theory explains why nothing ever gets done here. Also...when I was reading the part about the old school and the lockers I was mentaling walking through my high school trying to remember where my locker was..Thanks...tried to permanently erase those years...but I did remember exactly where it was, You would think after almost 20 yrs I'd forget. I guess something are just burned into our brains.

Posted by: Becky at November 17, 2008 10:36 AM

Did you ask her where she learned that? I'd be curious to know. Fascinating!

And I finally went on an awesome date with someone that makes me not be able to breathe right.

Posted by: k8 at November 17, 2008 10:53 AM

The weekend...lots of yard work, a finished drawing (finally), Wii boxing - I got my arse kicked by a 4 year old, haircuts and donuts, lots of reading, it was good.

Ohio, can't be worse than Missouri so I'm all good.

Posted by: Jen at November 17, 2008 11:06 AM

Ohio... wow who woulda thought? Does that mean everyone living in Ohio has passed on already?

This weekend I threw a little party for the now-three year old and it knocked me flat out on my ass.

Then I came into work to find they had cut my desk literally in half and three people are sitting here. Way to start a Monday!

Oh also...I don't have a penis and I don't get Sex and the City either. I must be missing something. I tried to watch one episode once and couldn't get through it.

Posted by: jessica at November 17, 2008 11:12 AM

um...yeah...so, this is weird...when she was 2, Emily thought dead people go to Cleveland. i swear to god.

Posted by: ali at November 17, 2008 11:20 AM

I had always wondered why people in Ohio looked so pale.

Posted by: DC Urban Dad at November 17, 2008 11:29 AM

At least she didn't say "Detroit."

Posted by: GreenCanary at November 17, 2008 12:36 PM

I know people in Ohio... does taht mean... they're ghosts?

Posted by: Nat at November 17, 2008 1:31 PM

I grew up in Ohio, and it definitely felt like all of the worst parts of eternity. Frankly, I'm all in with any higher power that can assure I won't go back there after death. Maybe Mia has a tip on who that is?

Posted by: megan at November 17, 2008 1:35 PM

She's been listening to way too much Talking Heads, yo. And admit it...that's your favorite picture of Beth, like, EVER.

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 17, 2008 1:45 PM

Mia's a little off. But not by much...

Posted by: alektra at November 17, 2008 2:10 PM

i hate ohio. every time i've been there (or even just drove through there) it's been all kinds of disappointment. i don't want to end up in ohio for the rest of my eternity! :(

Posted by: tiffanie at November 17, 2008 2:28 PM

Of course. Have you ever driven the Ohio turnpike across Ohio? It certainly feels like eternity.

Posted by: Ames at November 17, 2008 4:42 PM

Um, spent 3.5 years in Ohio. Felt like an outsider the whole time since I wasn't a native. Can only imagine what they would think of me as a dead person!

Posted by: Heather at November 17, 2008 4:50 PM

ha ha. Mia = truth.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 17, 2008 6:46 PM

Well, seeing how I live in Ohio and Ohio currently has 400,000+ unemployed workers and soon to be more by Christmas I would tend to agree with Miss Mia that if you're dead you come to Ohio. Nothing is thriving here, might as well be dead. Gah. Horrible thought.

Sounds like a good weekend nonetheless. Tiring but good.

Posted by: kimmyk at November 17, 2008 7:23 PM

Do I get to pick which part of Ohio? While being stuck in Cleveland for an eternity would be somewhat.... disappointing.... it wouldn't be as bad as being trapped in, say, Toledo.

Posted by: Dawn at November 17, 2008 9:21 PM

I grew up in Ohio counting the hours until I could leave, so if I end up there after I die, I'm going to have a few choice words with God.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 17, 2008 9:41 PM

Has Mia been listening to The Pretenders?

I REALLY dislike Sex in the City. I wish all of the characters would go to Ohio.

Posted by: Sphincter at November 17, 2008 10:42 PM

Ohio? That made my morning. :)

Which musical did you see? :)

I don't like Sex and the City much either - and last time I checked, I'm pretty sure I don't have a penis. Too much posturing.

Posted by: Hannah at November 18, 2008 4:21 AM

LOL @ Ohio. I must've died then because I seem to remember once living in both California and New York... and now I'm in Ohio. Hm. Sadly, it's not so bad here... why couldn't she have said Idaho or Kentucky, though? Now that would seem more like death to me. ;) Either way, Mia always seems to make me laugh. Glad I get to enjoy your children without having to wipe their butts or hear them scream for hours on end!

Posted by: Laura at November 18, 2008 4:36 AM

As someone born and raised in Ohio, I can say that it's not such a bad place to spend eternity. Do ask Mia what happens if you are already from Ohio. Does that mean that we are the walking dead?

Posted by: Arwen at November 18, 2008 9:17 AM

Ohio works for me. I haven't been there, but it sounds nice.

Nice weekend for us. Saturday errands, and Sunday, a trip to the Poconos for a crystal show. We went with friends, and the husband has a crystale (sales) business.

Cas
Oh, and on Thursday, a trip to PA convention hall in Philly to a very upscale craft show. All I bought was lunch. We took the train into the city and that in itself is an adventure.

Posted by: cassie-b at November 18, 2008 10:09 AM

well, I live in Ohio...so that makes perfect sense to me.

Posted by: Beth at November 18, 2008 11:52 AM

I love the Ohio thing! I watched the Sex and the City movie the other week and it is bad, and I liked the tv programme. I think I'll pretend the film didn't happen.

My weekend was fantastic, we went to Brussels for my birthday, hung out with friends and saw Sigur Ros in concert.

Posted by: Katherine at November 18, 2008 12:10 PM

I'm not a guy and I thought the SATC movie was fucking awful. It was too long and drawn out. 30 minute segments? Ok, but 2.5 hours? What the hell do they need to sum up that takes 2.5 hours?

Posted by: statia at November 18, 2008 1:35 PM

So is Ohio hell?

Because I lived in Toledo once, and I was pretty much convinced that it was the armpit of the U.S.

Posted by: Tink at November 18, 2008 4:05 PM

I was born in Ohio, I guess I'll end up in Ohio.

That seems about right.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at November 22, 2008 6:04 PM

That's good that people are able to receive the personal loans and that opens completely new opportunities.

Posted by: CharlotteEspinoza26 at March 23, 2010 2:07 AM