November 7, 2008

The Weeklies #61

The Weekly Kid-related Breakthrough. I swear Owen said Obama night before last.

The Weekly Disastrous Election Day Outcome. California's Proposition 8. To constitutionally bar same sex couples from getting married is outrageous. At some point in our future, we're going to look back at this debate and wonder what we were thinking.

The Weekly Read. I continued my seemingly long streak of noir crime novels with Kill Now, Pay Later by Robert Terrall. Like most of these forgotten novels, it was equal parts hard boiled mystery and cheese. It was entertaining. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Weekly Music. Some time ago I talked about how insanely awesome Secret Machine's Ten Silver Drops is. It's a fantastic, compelling album. I was justifiably happy, therefore, when their most recent album (imaginatively titled Secret Machines) hit the shelves. Now that I've got it, I'm really underwhelmed. Where Ten Silver Drops was lush, emotionally charged and vibrant, Secret Machines seems phoned in. Maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe I need to give it a few more spins. Maybe I haven't been in the right frame of mind. I hope its me and not the album. Because I desperately want it to be good. And it's not.

The Weekly Necessary Gadget. Having sex right this instant? What the hell are you doing reading this? And, uh, sorry about the interruption. You need a sex alarm.

The Weekly Photo. In case you missed it over at my wife's site, Mia has taken to occasionally sleeping in her closet. Which makes us feel like pathetic parents. But she doesn't care.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Two names for you - John McCain and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

The Weekly Hypothetical. (From author Chuck Klosterman) The world is ending. It's ending quickly, and it's ending dramatically. It will either end at noon on your fortieth birthday, or it will end two days after you die (from natural causes) at the age of seventy-five. Which apocalyptic scenario do you prefer?

Posted by Chris at November 7, 2008 6:34 AM
Comments

Since my 50th birthday is next week, I'll opt for #2.
BTW: That picture of Mia is too, too cute!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 7, 2008 6:52 AM

Yeah, this almost 44-year-old chooses option #2 as well. And amen to the weekly schadenfreude. (My Obama-high was bummed a little, however, by my and my daughter's faith being called into question by fellow "Christians" because we chose to support Obama. Imagine that! Narrowmindedness from the Christian right! More details at my blog.)

Posted by: gojennings at November 7, 2008 7:05 AM

My brother and I used to occasionally take to sleeping in our closets as well. I remember feeling like it was something special, unique, like camping under the stars, but indoors and with all my stuffed animals around me.

It's probably safe to assume she's not doing it to make you feel like bad parents. :)

Posted by: suze at November 7, 2008 8:28 AM

Two days after death and here's the only reason why:

My birthday is January 20th. I'll be defending the PhD thesis probably in June of the year that I turn 40. I have to stay alive just long enough to become a Dr. Otherwise, I'd totally go for the 40 thing. It's just bad timing.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 7, 2008 8:49 AM

I'm 43 now so I think I will go with option 2 also!

Posted by: Jeff A at November 7, 2008 8:59 AM

I'm not even sure what the argument would be for ending on my 40th b-day. Not only do I want to live longer, but I want my kids to enjoy their lives too. I don't know what happens after we die, but I do believe that what we do while we're here makes a difference. Option #2 please.

Posted by: Brad at November 7, 2008 9:33 AM

Re: weekly disastrous election day outcome: same thing happening down here in Florida. It's about so much more than just gay marriage. It's about domestic partnerships for hetero couples as well and it pisses me off greatly that the republican old guard down here got all freaked out about one aspect of the amendment. Wusses.

Re: hypothetical: I'll take option 2 since I'll be 40 in two years! LOL

Posted by: Michelle at November 7, 2008 9:54 AM

I'd rather the world end after I'm dead. Is that selfish?

Mia is hilarious. I'd still love to know what she was thinking, shutting herself in the closet. And then she fell asleep in there. Poor li'l thing. (Hee.)

The mister's nephew just learned how to say Obama. It's adorable!

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 7, 2008 10:09 AM

I used to go hide in the closet too when I'm really upset or want to go hide. I'd grab my Snoopy and headed for the closet. Nobody can find me until I'm ready to be found. Haven't done that since I moved because the closet is way too small for me now...or I just have too much sh*t. LOL.

As for the world ending, end after I die would be cool.

Posted by: oakley at November 7, 2008 11:10 AM

I used to sleep under my bed as a kid, right until I was 13 years old. Pissed my parents off to no end.

Posted by: Sleepynita at November 7, 2008 11:26 AM

I like John McCain so I don't really take pleasure in his defeat...and I thought his concession speech was really good. I am happy about Obama's win, definitely, but...yeah.
Anyway, I don't understand why you'd even want the world to end early. I'd quite like to live a long time! :D

Posted by: Heather at November 7, 2008 11:51 AM

What an excellent first word! I was just thinking how easy Obama would be for my baby to say, or at least 'bama. I've been chanting it all week, so who knows?

That's a weird hypothetical, and a little outdated if you ask me. Life does not end at 40 these days! Either that, or I'm just an old hag. So I choose 75, so my daughter gets a chance to grow up and live her life and be happy.

Posted by: Laura at November 7, 2008 11:56 AM

As much as it might be neat to see how the world ends I would choose option 2 as I would like to live a long full life.

Posted by: Adi at November 7, 2008 11:59 AM

My daughter used to play in the closet for hours!

I prefer #2, but I want to live longer than that.

Posted by: been there, done that at November 7, 2008 12:46 PM

why would anyone chose noon on their 40th? anyway, i'm 41 now, and while turning 40 was not my favorite birthday, I wouldn't want to DIE on it.

Posted by: jodi at November 7, 2008 12:56 PM

Who cares where she sleeps, as long as she sleeps!

Posted by: peggy at November 7, 2008 2:40 PM

Okay, I totally have to get that sex alarm for my husband for Christmas! Since my very uptight parents live with us, it should be great fun in our house!!!

Well...to me and him anyway.

Posted by: Sandi at November 7, 2008 3:01 PM

Option 2. I still have to see Antarctica and I don't think I'll make it in the next 1.5 years.

Also, there is a series of "liturgical mysteries" out there that are highly funny (it's from a liberal Christian viewpoint, so evangelicals would hate it, and although atheists might not "get" all the inside jokes, it's still a great laugh). Anyway, your post reminded me of them because they're based on the classic crime noir novels - the protagonist even writes bad crime noir novels as he solves really dumb crimes. Anyway, The Alto Wore Tweed is the first in the series - it includes blow up sex dolls at a funeral, need I say more?

Posted by: Heather at November 7, 2008 5:39 PM

I used to sleep in my closet when I was afraid as a kid, then I piled lots of clothes and things on the end of my bed, because the monsters can't grab you if you have enough stuff at the end of the bed...I still do that some times...my boyfriend just laughs!

Posted by: gypsy at November 7, 2008 9:09 PM

After I'm gone, thanks.

Posted by: Heather at November 8, 2008 6:03 AM

she just digs her space is all. i mean that's probably why she crashes in her closet. bless her heart though.

and since i'm 41-dude i'm goin with number 2.

Posted by: kimmyk at November 8, 2008 8:49 AM

I choose #1. High noon. That way I can plan to be with my family when it happens and none of us have to deal with the loss of the other...we'll all be gone at the same time. Plus, my kids would be 12 and 9 on my 40th bday...they would have known nothing but fun and dependance on their parents by that point in their life (hopefully). It's all down hill after 12yrs old.

Oh, and my 3yo and I have been discussing politics over the past couple weeks...well today, I asked her who our new president was and she said "Oprah". :) Back to the drawing board. She also said that the stuff I put on her hair after her bath is called "Air Conditioner...you know, like the one in the baby's room (its a space heater)"

Posted by: CJ at November 8, 2008 11:35 PM

That photo is just adorable. Completely and utterly.

Posted by: Lori Anderson at November 9, 2008 6:07 PM

I love the sex alarm. My male flatmates never get laid. Evidently this is the christmas present of the year.

Posted by: Sway Fatale at November 9, 2008 7:27 PM

I used to have nightmares about ghosts and bloody skeletons, wet the bed, and crawl into my parents' bed in pissy pj's almost every night when I was four or five. I still don't like ghost movies, and am glad she does not think there are scary things in her closet ;-)

Posted by: Karen at November 9, 2008 9:40 PM