November 28, 2008

The Weeklies #63

The Weekly Funniest Thing I've Read In A Damn Long Time. Check out this exchange between a guy and a customer service rep.

The Weekly Read. One word (or acronym) about Night Work by Thomas Glavinic - WTF? So, I was roped in by the premise that our hero, Jonas, waked up to a world in which he might be the last remaining person alive. That's interesting. The rest of the book? Not so much. Reading it, like the hero's actions, is an effort in futility. Maybe I missed something. Maybe I just didn't get it. Regardless, give it a pass.

The Weekly Music. What, you think I actually had a chance to listen to more than GNR's latest album? Nope. Sorry.

The Weekly Under-appreciated Food Item. Mashed potatoes, sidedish of the gods. Seriously, mashed potatoes fucking rock.

The Weekly Hypothetical. You find $300 on the sidewalk. What do you do with it? You find $2.50 on the sidewalk. What do you do with it? Were your answers the same? Why or why not?

Posted by Chris at November 28, 2008 7:11 AM
Comments

$2.50 - I'd keep it since there is really no way of tracking the original owner with something that small.

$300? I'd turn it in to the police and get a receipt so I could check back with them later.

I don't think it's about honesty. If I'd seen the person drop the $2.50, I'd pick it up and hand it back to them. If I'd found it in a store, I might turn it in to the cashier. Around here, it might make the difference for some in getting through the month. It might have been the only cash he or she had.

The highest amount I've ever found on a sidewalk is $20 and I kept it. I was behind a person at the ATM once who walked off without her $400. I chased her down inside the bank and handed it to her. Later, when I remembered the security cameras, I was glad I did.

I felt a little guilty about the $20 but I couldn't imagine anyone trying to go back and find it.

Third scenario - a wallet. I'd definitely (and I have) return it intact.

I like mashed potatoes too but I like dressing (stuffing?) better. Or sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. There are no calories in holiday food.

Thanksgiving #1 was a huge success. Now I start on Thanksgiving #2.

Enjoy your long weekend and take lots of pictures. Love to all.

Posted by: Ann Adams at November 28, 2008 8:12 AM

Of course! It was because the spider only had seven legs ;)
Mashed potatoes ARE awesome, but like Ann I prefer stuffing.
Did you guys have tofurkey??
Money - Assuming in both cases I didn't see who dropped it, I'd probably drop the smaller amount in a donation box (like for the poppies around Remembrance Day, or the kids to camp, or any number of those little things you can find 'round and about) and the $300, Ann's idea of reporting it to the police with a receipt sounds good. I would be so tempted to just keep it, but I would never, ever feel right if I did.
A friend of mine - also a "starving student" actually found a wallet yesterday with over $200. She called the cops...good girl ;)

Posted by: Heather at November 28, 2008 8:49 AM

That spider thing is priceless. I giggle every time I see it somewhere.

Now, about the money. I would behave exactly the same way in both situations. I'd pick-up the money and say really loudly: "Who dropped X dollars?". My research would show that people are more likely to drop 300$ than 2.50$.

Color me disillusioned. ;-)

Posted by: LeSombre at November 28, 2008 9:22 AM

Funny, if I found $2.50, depending on how close I was to Starbucks, I'd probably put it towards coffee. Now on the other hand, if I found 300, I'd most likely ration out a certain portion to spend right now and then save the rest. I'd probably get a pedicure. LOL. Of course, this all hinges on whether or not anyone who may have dropped said money is in sight. If I am all alone, then it's mine.

Posted by: Claire at November 28, 2008 10:18 AM

In both cases, I'd make the best effort at finding it's owner. However, with the $300, I'd hang onto it for a week or so expecting a note posted nearby or something of that matter.

In the end, it's found money and if no one claims it then I'd keep it. I'd also probably donate an extra $100 to a food bank this year as thanks.

Posted by: Brad at November 28, 2008 10:24 AM

I would try to find the owner of the $300.00. I know that sounds very goodie, goodie, but my elderly Mom recently lost a bunch of cash and it was the difference between buying food or going hungry.
I agree about the mashed potatoes. My favorite thing too!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 28, 2008 10:41 AM

I would try and find the owner of the money. For the $300 I would hang around a bit if I could to see if the person comes back. I wouldn't turn the money into the police for that amount because I don't think for that they would report it to the police. Then if I can't find the owner of the money I would donate it towards the family we are sponsoring this Christmas. More food for them would be awesome.

Posted by: Adi at November 28, 2008 2:04 PM

$300 - Go to a bar and open a tab for everyone in the bar until the money's gone. Easy come, easy go.

$2.50 - Buy myself a beer, because life is tough and we struggle on, nevertheless. Of course, for that price I might only be able to afford one, maybe two, canned PBRs, but I grew up on cheap beer, so no big whoop.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 28, 2008 2:50 PM

Huh, I guess I would try to find the person who'd lost it either way. If I couldn't, I think I'd give it to someone who needed it. When I lost my wallet recently I was bummed, but I hope somebody hungry found it. I did my bf's laundry and found 50 cents in one of his pockets. I told him it was "the spoils of laundry" and kept it.

I agree about mashed potatoes. Mmmmm.

Have you read Michael Marshall Smith? Only Forward, Spares, and I can't remember the name of the third one.

Posted by: Jess at November 28, 2008 2:55 PM

If I were feeling selfless that day I would totally try to figure out who it belonged to, especially if it was in wallet. Or in the form of a check.

If I was feeling selfish, or under caffeinated I would hit up a Starbucks. $2.50 or $300 I could use that in coffee money easily.

who am I kidding, I'd go with the selfless way even if I was feeling selfish that day. I've done that before, anonymously mailed a blank check back to the address on the check. Damn morals.

Posted by: Lizzle at November 28, 2008 8:08 PM

Mashed potatoes make me joyful.

Posted by: Sphincter at November 28, 2008 10:16 PM

$300 - keep it.

$2.50 - track down the bastard who found the other $297.50. Nobody loses two dollars and fifty cents.

Posted by: Marshall at November 28, 2008 10:58 PM

That spider drawing thing was awesome.

I keep the money. It is a gift from the gods. They know I need it.

If there was a wallet attached to it that's another thing. I'd return it. But homeless money needs a home in MY wallet!

Posted by: jessica at November 28, 2008 11:43 PM

$2.50? Feel guilty, but keep it if I could not see any possible owners around.
$300? Bitch at the good angel on my shoulder and turn it in to the police/report it.

Posted by: Karen at November 29, 2008 4:27 PM

Oh the spider thing is absolutely too funny. Glad you enjoyed your mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving!

Posted by: Heather at November 30, 2008 12:48 PM

If only I could draw spiders!

Posted by: cassie-b at November 30, 2008 7:39 PM

For either, I would see if there is anyone around who dropped it or if there is an identity attached. If returning it is not possible, then I keep it.

Food: Mashed potatoes always make me smile. Definite comfort food.

Posted by: Maria at December 1, 2008 6:24 AM

Mashed potatoes are my favorite. Ironic that I'm reading this now and my post title tomorrow is a play on words of mashed potatoes.

If I found money it'd depend where I found it... I'd try to return it somewhere, but if I'm on a desert island I'm probably putting it into my fire to keep it going. :)

Posted by: Poppy at December 1, 2008 10:55 PM

If I found $300 I'd give it to that poor guy who had his awesome spider drawing turned down for payment.

Posted by: Tink at December 2, 2008 2:52 PM