December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving, In Verse

Thanksgiving has come and has gone
It's unfortunate but I'm back at work.
My time was well spent but I'm spent like the time
Coffee in my blood has yet to perk.

We spent the weekend with family
and ate way too much as most do.
We played, we read, we napped, watched TV
Now it's dark, it's early, feel like poo.

On Wednesday the girls headed out
to the Ritz for a nice fancy tea.
The guys, we stayed home, watched Magnum PI
with Higgins, Magnum, Rick and TC.

Thanksgiving day began with a parade
lame performers and a half-assed St. Nick.
It ended with just over a dozen full bellies
just slightly south of sick.

Friday we had an idea
to Monkeytown to see Dorothy Gale's ruby shoes
Unfortunately for us we weren't close to alone
For lunch all I wanted was booze

The museum was packed with blue-haired grannies
and families with little kids taking a tour
At least we got to see Stephen,
he of the Colbert Report.

Saturday was insanely relaxing
I never, not once, left the our pad
We played, watched a movie, ate fajitas.
Kids in bed, watched TV, sleep was had.

Sunday was rainy, we stayed put.
We didn't get dressed 'till at least noon
Though I must admit, I lived in fear of the knowledge
that the new work week would be here soon.

Now Thanksgiving is over.
And Christmas will be here so soon.
Just flip on the radio and you'll know it
soon as you hear Frank and Dean croon.

My mind is still stuck in the holiday.
To get my head into work I'll need luck.
My brain would rather be decorating a tree.
About work I could not give a fuck.

(And how were your weekends?)

Posted by Chris at December 1, 2008 6:40 AM
Comments

Thanksgiving was fine
cooked a bird and some stuffing
ate some squash and some pie
spent the night burping

Posted by: Maribeth at December 1, 2008 7:48 AM

Thanksgiving was fine. I work from home, so there is no novelty to being home for a long weekend, unfortunately. I had a good Turkey Day, but I'm the kind of person who needs a bit of downtime and some solitude - and I've had constant company for five days straight (today will make six - f*cking snow day). So I'm looking forward to (hopefully) tomorrow when life returns to normal.

Posted by: Sarah at December 1, 2008 8:19 AM

It was good. Lots of turkey and family. I have a post about my Thanksgiving Dinner with 86 of my closest family members.

Posted by: Josh at December 1, 2008 8:34 AM

Ate turkey and starches galore
and leftovers stretched 'til forever
Got the tree up and trimmed in November!
I can tell you that's happened - never!

Loved your last stanza...asked myself just yesterday why in the world I needed to work in December as I would much rather be decorating and getting even more in the Christmas spirit. I work at home but haven't had 4 straight no-work days in over a year, and it was pretty nice! But I suppose the work is required, lest I have no home to decorate.

Posted by: Teresa at December 1, 2008 8:35 AM

I REALLY needed to come into the office, but I couldn't motivate myself to do so. I'll pay for it this week, but I'm not sorry. It was wonderful. After I showered each day, I put on fresh pajamas.

Posted by: Maria at December 1, 2008 8:47 AM

I'm absolutely fat with pie. That about sums it up.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 1, 2008 9:22 AM

Colbert for President!

So, I totally feel you on the dreading the Monday. After a long weekend all together it's always a little bumtastic that Sweetie has to go off to work. And that Lady has to go to school. AND it's a grey rainy Monday up here which is NOT HELPING me feel motivated to change Mister out of his pjs.

I just love Thanksgiving, it's like the official kickoff to all things festive and happy.

Posted by: chatty cricket at December 1, 2008 9:43 AM

Just lovely.

Cas
One large holiday done, and one larger one to come.

Posted by: cassie-b at December 1, 2008 9:51 AM

AWWW...sounds like you had a great weekend.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at December 1, 2008 10:27 AM

I was dreading the Return to Work yesterday too.

And you'd think that having slept as much as I did over the long weekend that I would be ready to wake up this morning. So not true.

I love that pic of Owen in the montage...the first one on the left in the second row. Supercute!

Posted by: jessica at December 1, 2008 10:30 AM

Lovely photos, Chris! It was just an ordinary weekend up here, but snow tires and rims were purchased and installed, Christmas cookies were baked, snowforts were built, hills were tobogganned down, and mittens were dried over air vents.

Posted by: alison at December 1, 2008 10:53 AM

there once was a girl who did dishes,
(she would much rather sleep with the fishes).
the entire time she was trying to come up with a rhyme,
to wow 'em like the poems at the Cactus.

The weekend was great! And now I need to stop trying to come up with rhymes about it and get to work.

Posted by: Lizzle at December 1, 2008 11:17 AM

You used the word "poo" in a poem.

That rocks.

Posted by: k8 at December 1, 2008 11:27 AM

Um, leaving for the return 9-hour drive from Indianapolis at 2am? It was good other than that.

Posted by: Heather at December 1, 2008 12:00 PM

mine was filled with barfing 3-year-olds and speeding tickets...awesome..
;)

the pictures are GREAT!

Posted by: ali at December 1, 2008 12:53 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed the verse. Very creative. Sounds like you and your family had a lovely holiday. Cute pictures :)

My Thanksgiving was good. I'm still not back at work now, even though I should be, because I am home dealing with a leaky roof dripping water into the kitchen!

Posted by: erin at December 1, 2008 1:26 PM

My Thanksgiving actually kind of sucked--think flu, partially frozen turkeys, trips to Wally World... Ugh! At least we finally got to celebrate our day of gluttony on Saturday, although with just one of my kids here it was rather subdued.

Your kids are absolutely adorable, btw.

Also, I think you win best husband of the year award for booking a massage for Beth! On second thought, you win second place to my husband. You can e-mail me and I'll tell you why he wins, but it's too embarrassing for me to announce here.

Posted by: Liz at December 1, 2008 9:27 PM

Ok so here goes...

I had a great weekend
'Cause Daisy was on the mend
We had fun in the sunshine
And a nights sleep in a bed that was mine!

Yeah I know...pathetic...

But I has a great weekend and it looks like you did too. Did you really get to see the ruby slippers? That would be such a thrill for me, I'm with Mia, I love the Wizard of Oz!

Have a good week!

Posted by: Beth at December 2, 2008 12:14 AM

Work for 17 hours on Thanksgiving on Saturday, and Sunday, and Monday-
and heaven help me I had neither patience nor bedside manner yesterday and may have snapped at a dedicated CNA, and used an exasperated tone to ask a sick patient what she needed- me-thought t'would have been wiser to play that hookey after all. The burnout, she sneaks up on us sometimes.

Today I am off (whoo-HOO!) and hope to return to work tomorrow more like my normal self, though I am thinking of pulling that hookey card out ;-)

Posted by: Karen at December 2, 2008 11:27 AM

stuck in Bangkok. B's vacation is unintentionally extended. lots of retail therapy (but Bangkok is soooo good for that...$3 clothing for everyone!) and alcohol for me. Hehe. See my blog for updates.

Posted by: oakley at December 2, 2008 12:12 PM