December 29, 2008

A Christmas Story

So, hi. Since we talked last, we've managed to make it through a major holiday and it now looks as though Toys R Us has thrown up in our house. Let's recap, shall we?

Christmas Eve began as two of the last three Christmas Eves have begun - in the doctor's office. Mia wound up with some wicked breathing problems, took a few tokes on a nebulizer and went on her merry way with a stocking full of steroids. Then we baked cookies. Later in the afternoon our parents dropped by for a full-contact cookie decorating session followed by dinner. A fantastic time was had by all but my were we wiped out. Which is why our merry asses were dragging like bowls full of jelly when Owen - not Mia, mind you, who was super-excited about the whole Christmas thing yet somehow slept - woke us up at 5:00 in the morning. I quickly sprinted downstairs to make sure Santa had made it and eaten all is cookies and milk then ushered the family downstairs.

Despite her repeated requests for "butterflies" (no other details given), Mia was thrilled by Santa's gift of a fish. Which she immediately named Dorothy.

It also appeared that Pixie Hollow burst and Tinker Bell and all her friends were jettisoned into our living room. Owen enjoyed himself too though he had to compete with Mia for use of his toys. Poor guy. But hey, he was happy.

We had Christmas dinner at my parents' place which, as usual, ended up being chaotic but fun.

Both the kids were thoroughly wiped out by the end of the evening and each crawled into bed without so much as a peep. A few hours later, Beth and I did the same. We vowed that Friday was a pajama day and that no one, unless they absolutely had to, needed to change out of their PJs. Mia was the last one standing trading one pair of jammies for another Friday evening.

On Saturday, Beth and Mia headed to a production of the Nutcracker while Owen and I hung out. Sunday? More hanging out. Yet, despite all this hanging out, I'm still tired.

Now, Beth and I did a really good job this year of explaining the various holidays and how they were celebrated and why. But it's quite possible that we gave Mia too much information. How else could you explain the celebration of baby jesus' birthday complete with "a Hanuka cake that lasts for eight days"?

So, how about you guys? What did you do for the holidays? And did you get anything good under your trees?

Posted by Chris at December 29, 2008 8:05 AM
Comments

Hope Mia's feeling better. I was actually the early riser on Christmas morning - woke up insanely hungry at 6 a.m. (Ugh. To be up BEFORE the kids on Christmas morning. It's NOT right). We had a very merry Christmas - and the kids are still very occupied by their loot, which is awesome. My husband surprised me with a Wii - which is one of those gifts that was more for the family than for me, because I haven't played it much (but the kids love it).

We have one more week of Christmas break before the kids go back to school - feels like they've been off for a month already. As much as I've loved the holidays, I really can't wait to get back to normalcy. Have been off kilter for a week now, and it makes me crazy!!! (Creature of habit much?)

Posted by: sarah at December 29, 2008 8:35 AM

Posted by: sarah at December 29, 2008 8:35 AM

I hope Mia is at 100% now. A Hanuka cake for baby Jesus sounds good to me.

I was the one who got everyone out of bed Christmas morning. I was up cooking and still in grinch mode. I got an indoor herb garden, which was a nice surprise.

Posted by: Maria at December 29, 2008 8:51 AM

I'm glad you had a good christmas!! Ours was fabulous as well. This year has been my favorite in awhile!!

Posted by: Arwen at December 29, 2008 9:37 AM

I have an inron clad rule about traveling at Christmas. I don't do it. So we had our usual "just us" Christmas at home, which is perfect. Since I'm about 28 days from being the parent of two teenagers, we are past the Toys R Us explosion years. Christmas was mostly books and video games.

Posted by: COD at December 29, 2008 10:12 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday, nebulizer and steroids aside. the kids sure look happy!

Daya's fish, Fishie 2 died so we got Fishie 3. She was very very worried about Fishie 3 since she was present for Fishie 2's Flushing Funeral.

Except she overfed Fishie 3 and it fouled the water. I didn't know until it was too late and Fishie 3 lived for all of 2 days. I feel bad.

So lesson learned: don't let the toddler care for the fish and keep all the food out of reach.

I hope Mia loves her fish. Happy holidays. Doesn't it suck to be back at work?

Posted by: jessica at December 29, 2008 10:25 AM

Chris,

Glad to hear you had a good Christmas! We had a very scaled down one this year, but we were all together as a family, and that made it really special ( 14 brothers, sisters, cousins, fathers and mothers crammed into a 3 bedroom farmhouse, and yet somehow it was home and cozy! :) )

It's always hard to express the non-tangible items that you get for Christmas, but seeing that my daughter still believes in Santa, and that my son was excited about putting out reindeer food ( oatmeal ), and that I have gotten to know first hand how hard it is to be my wife ( as she is laid up after some minor surgery ) and gain some enlightenment, those are best gifts this season. And also the new Halo book. That rocks too.

Posted by: Austin at December 29, 2008 10:25 AM

I love that Toys R Us threw up in your house. That's how Christmas should be!

I had a very quiet Christmas. Just how I wanted it.

Posted by: k8 at December 29, 2008 11:04 AM

We traveled to Calgary, AB for Christmas and froze our butts off in -30 weather, complete with piles of snow. We spent the holiday with Hub's daughter and her boyfriend, and our 5 great dane grand-doggies.

No more toy explosions in this house. Ours looks like Home Depot threw up in it-Jake got a welder, Hubs a bench grinder, and there's various odds and ends which are indecipherable to me.

Our best gift was a TomTom, or rather a portable navigation system/GPS thingy.

Glad you had a wonderful Christmas! The pictures are so cute :) Hopefully Mia is feeling better.

Posted by: Scatteredmom at December 29, 2008 12:56 PM

Here's an odd synchronicity...

We asked our 2.11-year old twins what they wanted Santa to bring them for Xmas...
Girl: A butterfly.
Boy: A butterfly. A pink one!

Despite repeating the question over multiple days, the little darlings insist they want butterflies more than any other toy Santa could bring. Who are we to insist they get a barbie or a monster truck? Butterflies, it shall be!

Thank goodness for a local crafting store. We were able to find 2 flimsy butterfly "notions" that may just make it to the new year.

I can only hope next Xmas will be this easy. (We got them a million other things, too, BTW.)

Posted by: Anders at December 29, 2008 1:21 PM

Love Mia's expression when she's looking at the fish. Hope she's feeling better. We went to my mums for a few days, it was fun but we're glad to be back home.

Posted by: Katherine at December 29, 2008 3:06 PM

Belated Merry Christmas to you all! I hope Mia is feeling better by now. Toys 'R Us also spewed all over our house - I have no idea what I'm going to do with it all.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Posted by: Kimberly at December 29, 2008 3:23 PM

That smile of Owen's is priceless!

Posted by: Heather at December 29, 2008 4:56 PM

I Hope Mia is feeling better!

We had PJ-day too, the day after Christmas. LOL @ the little movie. She's cute as a button!

Posted by: Nadine at December 29, 2008 4:56 PM

Sounds like your Christmas was routine... for you guys! That's good, though.

We did a whole bunch of family things -- an extended family get-together on the 20th, and then my side of the fam got together on Christmas Eve at my house and again on Christmas Day at my mom's house. We tried to go to Chicago to visit my husband's family, but the weather out there refused to cooperate with us. So now, we sit around until New Year's Eve, when we stay inside, away from the amateurs out there on the roads.

I had two fantastic things under my Christmas tree... a gift certificate for an hour massage and a Garmin Nuvi GPS. Now I won't get lost finding my way to the massage place.

I hope your new year is even more fantastic than this past year!

Posted by: ironic1 at December 29, 2008 5:01 PM

Glad your Christmas was a good one, despite the visit to the doc. A fish named Dorothy? Does it have red shoes?

Santa (me) brought me a Blackberry. I figured since Santa (me) got my son one, it was the least Santa (me) could do for me. Best of all? I've been off since Christmas Eve and I don't have to go back until this Friday! Best thing ever. Hands down.

More pics please!

Posted by: coolchick at December 29, 2008 5:54 PM

We also did a lot during our vacation: attended one wedding, one party, one NBA game, visited with extended family, did the whole Christmas thing, and I managed to get sick. But my son loved it. I got some nice things under my tree as well, mainly, The Tales of Beadle the Bard and a Coach purse. :) What did you get?

Posted by: Claire at December 29, 2008 5:57 PM

It sounds like you had a great Christmas (once the whole hospital thing was over!).

I was kind of Christmas retarded this year, I didn't really do much in the way of giving (I did get some lovely things, I just didn't give much other than to my hubby and my inlaws). But it was mostly because I was wishing really hard for a present that won't be under my tree... it will be in my arms (I hope, damn infertility fears of losing this) in just 35 more weeks. :)

Posted by: Teenuh at December 29, 2008 6:18 PM

Glad you all had a great Christmas! So, is Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz? Yes, our Christmas was very nice. My favorite gift was a Nikon D60! I'm so thrilled! Hope you got lots of cool stuff, too!

Posted by: Dianna at December 29, 2008 6:37 PM

Christmas was wonderful as Hubby and I celebrated with my daughter and her pre-fiancee. No I don't understand it either. You see he gave her a pre-engagement ring. I say a "pre-what?" I mean heck they are living together so WTF does pre-engagement mean? Actually I didn't say it at all, I was all sweetness and light, but I want to be a grandmother sometime before I actually look like one!
I'm sorry Mia was sick. I hope she is doing a lot better now. She really looks beautiful in the pictures you posted. And that Owen, my goodness, he sure loves the camera!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 29, 2008 11:07 PM

Okay, I'm such a tard that all I can think is "OMG that chair is freaking awesome."

Let's us talk about those steroids. I know loads about them. Really, gimme the scoop, yo. And merry christmas to all y'all!

Posted by: Mr Lady at January 1, 2009 2:48 PM

Okay, yes, the chair is awesome -- but that picture itself is frame-for-your-desk material, Chris. Your family is gorgeous.

Posted by: Stacy at January 1, 2009 8:23 PM