December 31, 2008

Resolution #9

For the past several years, I've shunned New Year's resolutions. It's not that thought I was already doing everything right but, rather, that I didn't need a specific day to pronounce what I intended to do with my year. But I've changed my mind. In 2009 I, Chris Cactus being of only marginally sound mind and questionable caffeination resolve to:

1. Endeavor to be more patient.
  2. Provide as positive an example to my children as is humanly possible which, I'm sure, involves avoiding the f-bomb which fucking sucks.
  3. Own more than one pair of jeans that fit and do not have any gaping holes at any given time.
  4. Paint the basement.
  5. Tell my family I love them at minimum ten times a day but hopefully more like a billion. (To be fair, I'm already uber-liberal with the l-word.)
  6. Take more, better pictures.
  7. Sew up the front of my PJs so my wang stops falling out.
  8. Eat better.
  9. Drink more beer.

So, I showed you mine. Now you show me yours. What are your resolutions for 2009?

Posted by Chris at December 31, 2008 6:39 AM
Comments

1) Not hide the fact that I'm polyamorous from anyone. Because, really, what's the point? If people aren't going to accept me for who I am then... f them. They don't need to be in my life anyways.
2) Lose the rest of the weight I'm trying to lose. I managed to drop 25 pounds from July-November without really trying... then put 5 pounds back on in the past month. So now I want to drop another 25.
3) Be more open to people and my feelings on them.
4) Not stress so much with money as we move into our new house. Stressing about money just causes arguments, and arguments make me depressed. Depression is bad.
5) Overall, have a fantastic 2009.

Happy new years to you, and your family, Chris. I hope 2009 brings you all plenty of happiness, health, and good fortune. I hope you get all the kisses and hugs from Owen/Mia your heart can take, and all the beer your liver can handle!!

Posted by: secha at December 31, 2008 7:28 AM

I would tell you mine, but it takes too darn long on this PSP. Maybe when I get out of the hospital.

Posted by: JeffA at December 31, 2008 8:03 AM

It's none of my business, but should you amend #5 to read tell my kids and WIFE I love them? Just a suggestion, from a wife's point of view.

Posted by: jodifur at December 31, 2008 8:18 AM

i think by doing # 7 you will also be providing a positive example to the kids...so it may cover # 2 as well.

Posted by: William at December 31, 2008 8:29 AM

I have goals...boy do I have goals. Most of mine are pretty specific, like set up an appt to have someone come and haul the cr@p away to the dumpster....or quit being a sissy and make that oral surgery appt!

In terms of resolutions though:

I resolve to keep going to the gym. It helps my stress and it's something I do for me.

I resolve to continue the trend of taking family vacations. We managed to swing 3 getaways this year!! Unheard of in our family!! The kids loved it, we loved it, and we should keep doing it.

I resolve to be more patient with my son, who is a bright and inquisitive 7yr old and a good kid to boot.

I resolve to encourage my daughter to play with more cars and legos and not just get sucked into the world of babies and kitchens.

I resolve to maintain better perspective at work. Still kick @ss, but not get sucked into some of the drama.

Happy New Year to you and yours Chris!! 2009 is going to ROCK!

Posted by: varinia at December 31, 2008 8:41 AM

Thank you -- number 7 just cracked me up and I definitely need that this morning. My resolutions:

Watercolor and Photoshop: attempt to master
Toning: buy exercise DVD and allow dust to gather there rather than in more prominent places in the living room
Basement reorganization, round 2
Make a soufflé
Increase involvement in kiva, results.org
Meditate in a way that seems less like sleeping or daydreaming
Realign life insurance

I'm all over the place but hopefully that means I have a chance of success at a few of these.

Posted by: Laura GF at December 31, 2008 8:42 AM

Hi Chris,

My resolutions are as follows:

I resolve to:

1. Eat more veggies and lemons.
2. Have a positive attitude always.
3. To read the Bible everyday.
4. To become financially independent.
5. To appreciate all the things that I have.
6. To have a decent art portfolio.
7. To change careers.
8. To go to a decent art school.

Sorry I can only come up with 8 although that there are many more that are inside my skull.

I wish you and your family a blessed 2009.

Posted by: anica at December 31, 2008 9:05 AM

Your #6 is my only resolution. I'm trying to decide on a photo project that will help me achieve it.

Posted by: Maria at December 31, 2008 9:06 AM

No resolutions, necessarily - just my 101/1001 project - which is more of a reminder to get things done, to step outside my comfort zone (in some cases), to remember the things I love to do, and to keep fresh in my head that I'm more than a wife and a mom... I'm excited about the next few years and some of the challenges I created for myself.

Happy New Years to you and yours!!!!

Posted by: sarah at December 31, 2008 9:07 AM

Ahhhh, resolutions, I guess I want to
1. Get in a little better shape (always on the list)
2. Spend more time with my kids than is humanly possible
3. Know when to say when and take the kids to Meme's so I can have some girl's nights.
4. Cure my addiction to my blackberry and walnut fudge.
5. Take the kids out of the country
6. Take fencing or salsa lessons

I thinks those are pretty regular-ish. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Posted by: mymilabean at December 31, 2008 9:23 AM

Well, if you sew up your pjs how can you show me yours?

Happy New Years!

Posted by: Heather at December 31, 2008 9:43 AM

Make sure the PJs are off before you sew them to avoid any devastating wang injuries! ;) And to be honest, I haven't even thought about resolutions this year. I should probably get on that.

Posted by: La Petite Chic at December 31, 2008 10:01 AM

Any resolution list that includes the word "wang" is a winner. Best wishes reaching your resolution/goals. Last year my resolution was to "have more fun". I think I succeeded. This year....I'm still working on it.

Posted by: Kristy at December 31, 2008 10:08 AM

1. Be more open to stuff and less mind-blowingly cynical.
2. Spend more time with friends and family.
3. Let my wang hang out more often.
4. Get that picture framed, then hang it.
5. Give a girl a chance.
6. Continue with the drinking of excellent beer, but maybe enjoy brown liquors more often. I like brown liquors, but have strayed from their presence this past year for monetary reasons. I think I should set aside a small portion of the meager paycheck for this (a kind of tithe, if you will).
7. Read more, despite academic demands.
8. Adopt another dog so that the current dog has a friend to chew on instead of me and/or my shoes.
9. Publish a couple papers in science journals; become an instant sensation; be showered with money and fame; burn out; buy an island, then become a recluse.
10. Buy a goldfish (I hear they're absolutely FASCINATING).

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 31, 2008 10:34 AM

1. Continue to be a positive person despite grumpy people
2. Try and go out more so I can actually meet someone, because really he's not falling from the sky into my lap in my living room regardless whether I want him to or not
3. Keep going to the gym...Never give up! Go Hard or Go Home!
4. Smile everyday.

Posted by: Deirdre at December 31, 2008 10:42 AM

1. Spend less time on the computer
2. Plant (and eat) more veggies in the garden
3. Recycle even more, try to use less
4. Be a bit more patient with my kids when they are trying to learn
5. Stop smoking (this one is going to suck) again, for real this time. I had quit for 2 years, then started again. It has only been 2 years and I only smoke about 2-3 a day, so I am hoping it will be easier this time.

Posted by: Jen at December 31, 2008 11:28 AM

Ah, resolutions. I enjoy these - even though I don't always stick with them, although I did pretty good last year. What I do is choose a couple of larger goals and then set some practical, mini-goals for myself and I usually do pretty well with those(though I guess I could just set those mini-goals and be done with it, but I like lists with headings and bullet points!). Here's what I've got for '09:

1. Improve my self-discipline. (Procrastinate less, go to bed earlier/get up earlier, hit the gym at least 3xs/week, etc.)
2. Have more fun. (Travel more, spend more time with friends, meet new people/make new friends, take the guitar lessons I've been promising myself for the past few years, just make time to do more of the stuff I enjoy & find new things I enjoy doing.)
3. Don't sweat it. (Try not to worry about things beyond my control. I'm a big worrier, so this has been on my list for a couple of years - with some success, though there's always room for improvement - and I think with all of the trouble with the economy, this is a good year to focus on it again.)

Happy New Year!

Posted by: erin at December 31, 2008 11:38 AM

Okay, my two resolutions are:
1. To continue with Weight Watchers.
2. To finish knitting a Harry Potter scarf I started 2 years ago. Yep, two years. It's time to finish that sucker!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 31, 2008 1:47 PM

Those are great resolutions!

And because I don't get much traffic, I'm being tricky...to see my resolutions you'll have to visit http://www.therapyfailed.com as I have posted them there and need visitors to my blog.

Posted by: Krush at December 31, 2008 1:55 PM

As I said elsewhere: To take myself more seriously when it comes to me, and less seriously when it comes to others.

Posted by: bhd at December 31, 2008 2:24 PM

I don't make resolutions anymore. All mine flew out the window three years ago and now I take a fly by the seat of my pants approach to life. But I do know that my heart will lead me. After 35 years of living, I understand what that means and if I'm making a resolution, it is to make sure my heart does the leading in my decisions. I'm too old for my head to be taking charge.

Posted by: k8 at December 31, 2008 3:48 PM

1. Get a billion dollars.
2. Figure out the meaning of life.
3. Solve the problem of world hunger.
4. Become a genius.

Have a safe and happy New Year!

Posted by: Tink at December 31, 2008 3:48 PM

Mine coming tomorrow.

Happy new year to all the CactusFishes. So glad we were able to meet in person this year. I love you all to pieces.

Special super secret message to Mia: squiggyboo. She'll know what I mean. Well probably not, but who cares. It's just fun to say.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at December 31, 2008 5:41 PM

Wow! Resolutions...love your wang story...YES I really am 12!

1. Say YES more...(which would include vacations taking -gulp- planes)
2. Really make an effort to draw.
3. Really make an effort to FINISH the art I am working on.
4. De-clutter my studio so I can actually breath and do cool things in it and actually NOT be embarrassed to have people over!
5. Shower MORE love on the people I DO love, and LESS time worrying about the people I don't!
6. Have MORE sex. I hear its really healthy for ya!
7. Eat LESS processed foods and MORE healthy ones.
8. Continue my walking to be more healthy.
Did I mention MORE sex?
9. Go back to school...at least START the process!
Hum...that's about it for me. Are you going to ask us next year if we did them all?

Posted by: Gypsy at December 31, 2008 6:43 PM

Happy New Year to you and your family. Hope that it is a great one!

Posted by: Adi at December 31, 2008 7:15 PM

Happy New Year to the Cactus-Fish family!
May the upcoming year be blessed with many odd and interesting events for you to put on your blog. And more strange bathroom encounters. Book deak there, seriously. People LOVE that stuff.

Dude get some velcro for those jammas. Or liberate the wang. Really, it should be Beth's choice.

You already read my intentions for Mew Years. But I forgot to add play with lots of playdough.

Posted by: jessica at December 31, 2008 7:22 PM

Actually, I may be successful this year! ;) I'm working on training and running a half marathon before the end of the year. It's doable, and I've always wanted to run a full marathon, but I figured a half-marathon was even more doable... and it actually like fun!

Posted by: Laura at December 31, 2008 8:05 PM

Great resolutions! I wish my husband would add #7 to his list but I fear that he likes the breeze.

I have to think about my resolutions...but first I need more champagne!

Posted by: cass at December 31, 2008 8:35 PM

To be better at saving money.

Posted by: apathy lounge at December 31, 2008 8:44 PM

1) To read 55 books
2) To eat healthier
3) To drink more water
4) To participate in more outdoor activities (ie: hiking/biking/walking.

**Not new to your blog, the blogger formerly known as PenguinTarts :) in NoVa

Posted by: JJ at December 31, 2008 11:15 PM

Wishing you and your beautiful family all the best for 2009.

Me, well, I need to get more sleep. Just in general. It's not a resolution.

Posted by: Nat at December 31, 2008 11:21 PM

I live one day at a time so I don't set myself up for failure.

An almost (1126 p.m. your time) Happy New Year to all of you. Good luck with the resolutions - they're excellent.

Posted by: Ann Adams at December 31, 2008 11:39 PM

Happy New Year. :-)

I don't typically do resolutions, and I already quit smoking, but I think this year I need to focus career-wise. I've always worn so many hats at work, handling design, code, strategy, and project management, and I think it's time to pick a direction and really strengthen.

Posted by: Elise at January 1, 2009 7:02 AM

Here's mine:

1) Do more day trips on weekends. We do this, but not often enough. We find ourselves only getting out of town when company is visiting.

2) Resolve to walk the dog regularly.

3) Get my ass back into the gym to work-out and lift weights regularly.

4) Eat better.

5) Work on being more patient.

6) Play more with my growing 13 year old son.

7) Make time to ski.

8) Do more fun and unplanned things with the family.

9) Enjoy the family to do 5K volksmarches with me regularly.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at January 1, 2009 3:08 PM

I usually don't do resolutions, but there are four things that I'd like to get done asap this new year.....

1. Write a will. We came real close to a very bad accident this summer, and talked about it then. I want to actually get that done before the next road trip.

2. Save some money. We have a plan for that already, and starting this month we're doing it.

3. Write my children's book. It's there, in my head, but not on paper.

4. Finally finish crocheting that blanket I started last year.

Posted by: scatteredmom at January 1, 2009 3:50 PM

Cheers to #9!

Ooh, speaking of which, pass the Magic Hat! :D

Posted by: Poppy at January 1, 2009 6:08 PM

#7 made me laugh right out loud. :)

My resolution is continue to work hard toward losing all the weight I've started on. It's 50 more pounds, but I really believe I can do it.

I also am resolving to go through and at least get proof copies of all of the books I've written for National Novel Writing Month over the last four years, and make one of those available on Amazon for sale.

I too wish to take more and better pictures.

I want to get another dog, which I'm not sure is a resolution, but I'm doing it to help make my current dog happy.

Travel to see friends as often as possible.

Not hate my job.

Not worry about what other people think about where I'm at and what I "should be doing".

Posted by: Kate at January 1, 2009 6:25 PM

I am really not sure it's possible for you to take better pictures, really. By the way, would you ever consider doing a post on your photogrphing techniques? I am going to get a book or two on the subject now that I have a new "big girl" camera, but always like to learn from people whose photos I've seen.

Anyways, as for resolutions:
1. To stop cracking my knuckles.
2. To stop buying crap I don't need and end up shoving in a closet/drawer and toss out or giveaway a year later.
3. To only make clothing/shoe purchases (that for the most part) will be work appropriate.
4. To not argue with Andrew as much as I do. I tend to be a bit of an instigater.
5. To keep by 3.3 grade point this semester and graduate on May 9th...4 months! (Not really a whole year resolution, but still)
6. To learn how to take better photos before we go to Boston and actually do something with them. That scrapbook isn't going to put itself together.
7. To keep in better touch with old friends and maybe take a step forward and not be afraid to meet some of Andrew's for fear that they'll judge me and tell him he can do better and possible make some new ones of my own.
8. To eat better and exercise 5 days a week.
9. To lose 15 pounds by my birthday, March 13th, and keep it plus any extra off for good.

Posted by: Dianna at January 9, 2009 8:48 PM