December 23, 2008

Police Navidad

My daughter has a friend named Kevin. I might have mentioned him before, maybe used a different name but I'll just tell you straight out now that his name is Kevin. I know Kevin pretty well because I work with him. Maybe a year ago, Beth and Mia visited me at work. There, Mia met Kevin and was instantly taken with him. Nearly everyday since, Mia's asked about Kevin. Was Kevin at work today? Was Kevin in your meeting? Did you see Kevin today?

The other day after making and decorating cookies, Mia insisted that I take one to Kevin, make sure he had a good lunch before eating it and give him a hug. I gave him the cookie, in a meeting no less. I let him know about the lunch thing. We skipped the hug but shook hands instead. Kevin was embarrassed but touched and the women in the meeting cried over the cuteness. It was adorable. On Friday, Kevin walked in to my office, plopped a Winnie The Pooh gift bag on my desk and, before I could say a word, said it's for Mia and don't get all mushy or anything it's the least I could do. Inside was a coloring book and crayons but the contents were beside the point for me and I knew they would be for Mia as well. I could pretty much guarantee that Mia's head would explode. And it did. I was immediately ordered to assist in coloring. Mia didn't stop smiling the rest of the day. I mention this now only because it's about the best example of the holiday spirit I can come up with. Something that's pretty high on my list of Top 10 Things I Love About The Holidays.

10. Food. There is seriously a lot of good food around the holidays.
9. Presents. Yeah, I'm that shallow.
8. Christmas Carols. I'm a sucker for old school Christmas Carols like those sung by people with iconic first names - Frank, Dean and Bing.
7. Candy. A subset of #10, yes, but there's so much it deserves a category of its own.
6. Santa. A little tiny part of me still believes in Santa.
5. TV Specials. Remember those stop-motion animation specials that aired before many of you were born? I love those.
4. Snow. Some years we get lucky, others we don't.
3. Time Off
2. The Holiday Spirit. Like Kevin's.
1. Family. It doesn't get any better than family.

It'll be a little quiet here for a few days but I'll see you around soon. In the mean time, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and a wonderful new year. I leave you with a Christmas carol Mia calls Police Navidad. It's too cute to correct. (Oh, and sorry for the poor quality but that doesn't impact the cuteness.)

Peace. Be well.

Posted by Chris at December 23, 2008 6:33 AM
Comments

Oh that's so sweet. Have a good one.

Posted by: Katherine at December 23, 2008 7:07 AM

Kyootest. Thang. Evarrrrr.

A Rockin' Holiday to the Cactus Family from the Keen household!!

Julia

Posted by: Julia at December 23, 2008 7:12 AM

Because of work obligations, I rarely get time off this time of year, which makes me a bit sad.

I hope you, Beth, Mia, Owen, and Mia's friend Kevin have a wonderful Christmas.

Police Navidad!

Posted by: Maria at December 23, 2008 7:30 AM

Awesome video - thanks!
I love it when kids make a connection with adults other than their own parents. It reminds me of when my husband would take my son to his softball games. The guys were always so happy to see my son and talk to him and include him on the team (minus the beer!).
My favorite part of the holidays is watching my husband and son open their presents. I LOVE getting presents too, but watching them happy is my biggest gift.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Posted by: NancyJak at December 23, 2008 7:30 AM

Merry Christmas, Chris, to you and your family!! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, and that everyone gets what their little heart desires. That's so adorable with Mia and Kevin. Makes me smile. =)

Posted by: secha at December 23, 2008 7:34 AM

Very cute indeed. When my son was Mia's age we made a CD of him singing various songs and a cover photo of him wearing a Santa hat. I'm so glad we did because it is frighteningly easy to forget such stuff. I hope all at Casa Fish-Cactus have a lovely Christmas and a happy Hogmanay!

Posted by: Loth at December 23, 2008 7:59 AM

Police Navidad to the Cactus-Fish household! My 23 month old watched the video with me, at the end he clapped, cheered, and jumped up and down. Mia's song is a big hit in our household.

Posted by: Kate at December 23, 2008 8:01 AM

That is one of the cutest videos ever. Merry Christmas!

Posted by: tutugirl1345 at December 23, 2008 8:21 AM

Precious. Merry Christmas to the Cactus/Fish family.

Posted by: Hazel at December 23, 2008 8:29 AM

I like your list because it reminds me that I have cookies downstairs and excellent food on the way. Family is a given treat, and I've already nibbled on a bed-warmed toddler ear this morning.

Police Navidad to you and your very wonderful family, Chris.

Posted by: Brad at December 23, 2008 8:30 AM

Too cute. And I really needed the warm fuzzies right now. Thanks, Mia!

Posted by: Jess at December 23, 2008 8:51 AM

For # 4..insert the word SEX for me...

Merry Christmas.

Posted by: William at December 23, 2008 8:58 AM

gah! the video! that's AWESOME!

i love your list...but i would add one thing: A CHRISTMAS STORY. nothing says christmas like a fancy leg lamp that says fra-gee-lay..it must be Italian ;)

Merry Christmas, Chris!

Posted by: ali at December 23, 2008 9:01 AM

Kevin is totally enamored. Police Navidad is my new favorite song.

Posted by: Deirdre at December 23, 2008 9:10 AM

Happy Holidays, Chris! Enjoy the time off with your family.

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 23, 2008 9:20 AM

So precious! Police Navidad to you and your whole family. And to Kevin too :-)

Posted by: diane at December 23, 2008 9:40 AM

Peace to you too!

Posted by: Heather at December 23, 2008 9:58 AM

Merry Holidays!

Posted by: Christina at December 23, 2008 10:05 AM

Kevin is very cool, and Mia is just about the sweetest little girl ever.

I'm with you on number 4. Where is the snow? I don't want freezing cold, I want snow!

Merry Christmas :)

Posted by: bad penguin at December 23, 2008 10:15 AM

The cuteness level is so intense it hurts - from now on it will be Police Navidad to me too.

Merry Christmas and Police Navidad!!

Posted by: Debbie at December 23, 2008 10:31 AM

Merry Christmas to all in the Cactus Fish household.

Thank you for a wonderful year of informative posts and entertainment!

Posted by: Jacqueline at December 23, 2008 10:41 AM

I love that Kevin got Mia a gift in return! It must have made her feel so special. And his macho way of handing it over...too cute! Merry Christmas to you, Beth, Mia and Owen!!

Posted by: La Petite Chic at December 23, 2008 10:53 AM

And police navidad to you guys too!

Posted by: oakley at December 23, 2008 10:57 AM

very cute :)
my kids and I cuddled in bed the other night and watched The Little Drummer Boy (old school goods). Did you ever watch the Claymation Christmas Special? Awesome.

Posted by: holly at December 23, 2008 11:02 AM

Police Navidad to the Cactus/Fish family!! I love this song. Mia melts my heart with every story you and Beth tell.

My wish is a wonderful, Santa-filled, wonderful Christmas for your family as you get to see Christmas from Owen's eyes for the first time and Mia's joy and wonderment!

Kevin is a very cool guy!

Posted by: Krush at December 23, 2008 11:17 AM

Merry Christmas my friend.

Posted by: k8 at December 23, 2008 11:23 AM

Wonderful!! A very Merry Christmas and much love to all of you.

I'll be giggling over Police Navidad all weekend. I've never really liked that song overmuch until now.

Posted by: Ann Adams at December 23, 2008 11:25 AM

i love mia's police navidad! so cute. and i think your list is exactly right. we are even having a white christmas here in portland after our 40-year storm. merry christmas to you guys!

Posted by: kati at December 23, 2008 11:42 AM

THAT...cute as anything!

Leda came running into my office (I work at home, and yes, I was goofing off and checking your blog!) when she heard Mia singing. She couldn't get close enough to the screen! She loved it as well!

One of my favorite Christmas songs...hokey and SO repetative, but Love it nontheless!

Have a Very Merry Christmas! All of you and yours!

Posted by: cyndy at December 23, 2008 12:04 PM

*melts* That story, plus the song...man, I'm just gonna die :P Merry Christmas!!

Posted by: Heather at December 23, 2008 12:33 PM

My head just exploded from the excessive cuteness.

Police navidad right back to you and the Cactus-Fish family.

Posted by: Robyn at December 23, 2008 12:35 PM

Lovely story about Mia and Kevin. Kids *know* -- they just do when someone is, as Anne in Anne of Green Gables (guess who's been reading with her daughter -- you guys must read this with Mia in about 7 years) would say, a "kindred spirit."

Thanks for the smile. Really (really) needed it today.

Posted by: Beth at December 23, 2008 12:41 PM

Wow she's bilingual! Impressive. Maybe she can teach my kid (my 1/2 Mexican kid) some Espanol!

Posted by: punk rock mom at December 23, 2008 12:42 PM

Wow, what an awesome story. 100% the holiday spirit that I think most people tend to forget about these days.

Merry Christmas, Mia, and the entire Fish-Cactus family.

Posted by: erin at December 23, 2008 12:59 PM

Oh my hell - she's adorable. Awesome vid. Hope you and your family have an EXCELLENT holiday filled with everything on your top ten list!

(And your coworker? How cool is that?! Awesome awesome).

Posted by: Sarah at December 23, 2008 1:23 PM

I have a guy at work who gives my daughter $20 every time he comes for lunch and visits him. She asks about him, and whenever she visits she runs up to him and gives him a huge hug (he's like a grandfatherly figure).

Merry Christmas to you, Beth, Mia, and Owen. Enjoy your holidays.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at December 23, 2008 1:39 PM

The Kevin story is priceless! :) I just wonder if she'll be embarrassed or love these movies when she gets older... :)

Posted by: Hannah at December 23, 2008 2:05 PM

OMG! That little song just brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet beautiful little girl!! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family.

Posted by: Drama Queen at December 23, 2008 2:09 PM

She is so sweet! Still going to be some sort of little ringleader someday, but so sweet! I've got to admit, I'm shallow too, I love the presents. As for the snow, we've been bombarded with about 8 inches in downtown Seattle and well over a foot at our house, so you can have it all. Hope you Beth and the kids all have a lovely Christmas and a happy New Year!

Posted by: Dianna at December 23, 2008 2:28 PM

That is priceless, my friend!!!

My sincere wish is that you and your family have a healthy, peaceful, wonderful, and joyous Christmas.

And watch out that the Police Navidad don't get'cha.

Posted by: ironic1 at December 23, 2008 5:04 PM

Okay now I am sitting here watching that video with tears in my eyes! She is just so darn cute! Merry Christmas Mia!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 23, 2008 5:37 PM

My black and cynical heart just grew a few sizes. I'm glad Kevin and Mia have each other. Police Navidad!

Posted by: cynical at December 23, 2008 6:00 PM

Goes without saying, but: so cute!

Your list is just about perfect for me too.

Merry Christmas Cactus-Fishies. Hope it's perfect.

Posted by: Missy at December 23, 2008 6:10 PM

Awwwww...:) Merry Christmas Cactus :)

Posted by: Alex at December 23, 2008 6:24 PM

Please make sure that "Police Navidad" makes it into next year's holiday rotation on the radio. I insist.

Also, your top 10 and my top 10 are about the same, but the order varies (I put candy higher).

Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Stephanie at December 23, 2008 7:46 PM

That is sweet as can be and reminds how much I loved Christmas when my kids were small like Mia. I still like Christmas, I just don't love it anymore. When kids get old they want more expensive things and I fret over making Christmas special.
I need to get over it.
Merry Christmas

Posted by: peggy at December 23, 2008 8:23 PM

Loved this. Mia has this great way of connecting. I loved the Kevin story. Great video. Mia is such a natural.

Merry Christmas to your wonderful family.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at December 23, 2008 9:10 PM

I think I want to marry Kevin. lol

Also, Police Navidad made my mom and dad's dog jump off the couch and run around looking for the child singing. :D

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at December 23, 2008 9:33 PM

Very good top 10 list. I love to watch the old Rudolph movie, it is great!

Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope that santa is good to you all.

Posted by: Adi at December 23, 2008 9:40 PM

yep. darn cute.

Merry Christmaskwanzaka to you and your family!

See ya in the new year!

Posted by: kimmyk at December 23, 2008 9:49 PM

OMG that HAS GOT TO BE the cutest little girl I have ever seen. Police navidad to you and your family, and by the way, your daughter speaks spanish wonderfully, you guys are doing a great job! she actually said prospero ano and I can't get my kids to pronounce that!!!

Posted by: La Petite Belle at December 23, 2008 10:09 PM

Police Navidad to you guys!!! (that was too sweet for words)

Kevin rules. You can tell him I said so. He da man!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Posted by: coolchick at December 23, 2008 10:18 PM

I may have melted from the cuteness right this minute...

Also, how odd - my office blocks vimeo videos but not YouTube...

Merry Christmas to the Cactus-Fish family!

Posted by: suze at December 23, 2008 11:48 PM

Happy holidays to you and your family!

Posted by: Phyllis at December 24, 2008 1:54 AM

Happy, happy Holidays to Chris, Beth, (very sweet) Mia and (super cute) Owen. I hope you are all blessed beyond your wildest dreams.

Posted by: michele at December 24, 2008 5:10 AM

Yeah go ahead and make me tear up. Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Ames at December 24, 2008 8:58 AM

Her spanish is actually pretty good. Children can get languages so easily, my mom understood it and I can now speak four languages.
anyways, Mia is too cute for words. You are a lucky man. Blessing to you and your family.

Posted by: katherine at December 24, 2008 9:49 AM

You so need to give Kevin a hug now. And now we all love Kevin probably as much as Mia.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Posted by: Samantha at December 24, 2008 12:02 PM

Well, it stopped feeling like Christmas for a while, and then I read your blog. Mia brought Christmas back, just in time! ;) Thank you for this, and thank Mia. Have a wonderful holiday yourself (and to your family!) and thanks again!

Posted by: Laura at December 24, 2008 4:55 PM

I Tunes had to go on pause for Mia's singing. Mia's singing always takes precedence.
Police Navidad to you too, Mia! Thank you so for your Christmas wishes :-)

Posted by: Karen at December 25, 2008 5:15 PM

Please tell Mia she kept me from feeling crushed this Christmas (however you need to explain it to her). Her first crush is wonderful.

Please also send good thoughts to my friend Meredith. She needs a new liver, but she needs to beat pancreatitis first. She is far from home. She has a baby who's not a year old yet and a husband who is as smitten with her as you are with Beth. This Christmas, I've lost people, and I am simply refusing to think that Meredith won't be here for her little girl's first day at school, etc.

Much love to all the families who remind me why life is so very precious, especially yours, Chris.

Posted by: alektra at December 26, 2008 10:29 AM

That's the sweetest story I've heard in a long time.

Hope you and your family and wonderful Christmas.

Posted by: Lujza at December 26, 2008 1:17 PM

Awwwww! I just melted!

Kevin sounds like a great guy.

Posted by: Nadine at December 26, 2008 2:02 PM

That's an awesome story. :)

And "Police Navidad?" Your daughter rocks! I give a full thumbs-up to that rendition!

Posted by: Zandria at December 26, 2008 9:06 PM

Police navidad right back atcha, kiddo. :)

Posted by: Poppy at December 27, 2008 9:32 PM

Great story! Happy Holidays to your beautiful family. Our oldest daughter was completely obsessed with one of my husband's co-workers (Mike). Same kind of thing...He gave her a duck that blinks with a police light strobe thingy. She calls it "Mike the Duck". Whenever my husband gets a work phone call she wants to know if it is Mike. Have a great holiday.

Posted by: pink and green mama at December 27, 2008 11:26 PM

I had got a desire to make my own company, however I didn't have enough amount of cash to do it. Thank God my close mate suggested to utilize the loan. Therefore I used the financial loan and made real my old dream.

Posted by: TranHelen28 at June 4, 2011 2:32 AM