December 22, 2008

The Weekend: Pictures, Snot and Tweakage

Sweet baby jesus its early. But I have lots of weekendy goodness to report so I'll plow forward despite a decided lack of coffee.

The first is moderately work related. I thought I was going to be working through the holidays on a Very Important Work Thingy (VIWT). It was something that couldn't be avoided. But as it turns out, someone is smiling down on me and my team. The VIWT won't need to be thought about until after the first of the year. Thank the baby jesus and god bless us everyone. I believe I might just be able to breathe and enjoy the holidays now.

In other news, Mia woke me up a little before five on Saturday morning. She wrapped her arms around me and said it's time to get up daddy and I said oh the fuck it is only I probably didn't say that as I do try and watch my language though I'm not always successful. I couldn't get her back to sleep so, as a consequence, when she napped in the afternoon, I napped with her. On Saturday evening, we went over to a neighbor's party briefly - during that rare Venn diagram-like period during which both kids were dressed and marginally well-behaved - and Mia was enthralled with their cat. She's allergic to cats but we'd be heartless bastards to make her stand five feet from a cat at all times and put her in a protective plastic bubble. So she played with the cat and all the Benedryl in the world couldn't stop the sniffles which, in turn, kept her awake which, in turn, kept me awake or, at the very least, in her bed keeping her company and encouraging her to blow her nose like some weird snot cheerleader. And when I'd finally returned to my own bed at 4:45 on Sunday morning, I managed 15 minutes of sleep before, as the previous day had started, I felt arms wrapped around my neck at five. Luckily, this time around, I managed to convince Mia to return to sleep. These sleeping configurations have left me in need of a five hour massage. Or traction.

Remember last week when I discussed how challenging it is to take portraits of two kids? Turns out that the overall level of difficulty increases exponentially when you're pointing a camera at three. Especially when Mia's involved. She's like this little ringleader getting all the other kids to goof off. And she's a ham. She's going to start a gang, I know it. A cute gang hamming it up for cameras, but a gang nonetheless. Despite this, we did manage to get one nice shot of Mia, Owen and their cousin together before the universe imploded and all opportunities were lost amid a sea of hyperactive, impatient children. There were lots of outtakes.

Proving that my kid is weird, after she'd had a good lunch on Sunday I asked her if she wanted a treat. She said yes. When I asked her to be specific, she claimed she wanted ice. Ice? Yes, ice. I got her a bowl full of ice and she put on her mittens and went to town.

DSC_3123%20copy.jpg

Finally, after, what, five years I've finally decided to make a few design changes here. Nothing major. I'm averse to too much change. But you'll find the site looking a little tighter, a little more streamlined today. Whatcha think?

Posted by Chris at December 22, 2008 7:15 AM
Comments

Hey I like the new thingies on the page! Very cool!
That Mia, she is hilarious! Love the pictures you took, too!
Hate to say this, but my dogs like ice cubes and I give it to them often. They like these better than raw-hides! Go figure, I spend all that money and they like free ice the best!
Have a good and jolly week!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 22, 2008 7:45 AM

I liked your revamped site.

I'm happy for you. I don't wish VIWT on anyone during the holidays. I'm taking Christmas Day off, but will have to work every day there after until my VIWT is completed.

I think the photos look great.

Posted by: Maria at December 22, 2008 7:51 AM

I like the new look.

AWESOME on no VIWT to screw with your holidays. I have a crazy light work load for the holidays (as in, I have a project that I'm streeeeeeeeeeeetching for the next few days). But I'm glad to not have to think real hard about deadlines and other work stuff at this time of year.

Posted by: sarah at December 22, 2008 8:34 AM

I like the new look!

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 22, 2008 9:18 AM

Ice and mittens = future cheap date.

Definitely more streamlined. It's a good look. Fast and dangerous. Kind of sexy.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 22, 2008 9:21 AM

Site update looks great! Also, fabulous knews about the VIWT - what a relief!

Posted by: SpaceCase at December 22, 2008 9:23 AM

The site update looks great! Also, fabulous news about the VIWT - that must have been a huge relief.

Posted by: SpaceCase at December 22, 2008 9:24 AM

I love that Mia slapped on her mitts for the ice snack. So practical.

Posted by: Wack-a-do at December 22, 2008 9:53 AM

I like the new look.

And your children are gorgeous. But you already knew that.

Posted by: suze at December 22, 2008 10:09 AM

Mia's hair is beautiful.....that is all. :-)

Posted by: Kristy at December 22, 2008 10:09 AM

I like ice, too. A woman after my own heart!

And guess what? I drive past this street every day called Cactus Place. I can't WAIT until it's not forty below to take a picture and send to you!

Posted by: k8 at December 22, 2008 10:25 AM

I think your daughter is pretty ingenious putting on some mittens before partaking in her favorite snack, after all she wanted no cold fingers getting in her way. HAHA!

Posted by: Deirdre at December 22, 2008 10:55 AM

The new look is spiffy. :D

I love that she asked for ice, at least it won't rot her teeth ;)

We did pictures of my four girls at Walmart yesterday, which included (not-so-)quick changes of all four in the bathroom! But luckily when they are placed in front of professional photogs, they are charming and utterly cooperative! Doesn't hurt that I've got some pretty cute little munchkins either. lol

Now I get to finish preparing to get up and hit the road at roughly 2 a.m. to make the 12ish hour drive to NE for the holiday! I'm stoked but oy! many hours in the car w/ four little girls may require some adult beverages to recover!

Posted by: Kris at December 22, 2008 10:58 AM

Okay, the design freaked me out a bit at first, but I kinda like it!

Posted by: Heather at December 22, 2008 12:02 PM

i love love love the new look.

ps. my kids totally think ice is a huge treat too. please don't tell them it's not!

Posted by: ali at December 22, 2008 12:32 PM

... but she's such a CUTE ringleader :-D

BTW ... come check out the award show on our blog - you are a recipient :-D

Posted by: Kristy - Where's My Damn Answer at December 22, 2008 12:34 PM

Looks good, glad you didn't make too many changes though! Yes, I can totally see Miss Mia in a little goofy "gang"!

Posted by: Dianna at December 22, 2008 12:48 PM

I think it looks pretty good! 10 point's a little small for my preference, but I get you in a reader, so it doesn't matter much. :o)

Posted by: Emily at December 22, 2008 2:43 PM

Awesome kid shot Chris. I highly recommend that you pick up a nice reflector. They are great for adding some light on the side not facing the light. I use an illuminator by Westcott. They are pretty cheap and can really help add some dimension to your shots.
That said, nice work on the slight redesign. A little tight for my taste, but I am one of those people who like to spread out all over the screen!

BTW. I think Adorama has about the best prices around on reflectors and most other photography related items for that matter. No they are not paying me to say that, if they were I might have even thrown in a link.

Posted by: Jeff A at December 22, 2008 3:34 PM

Nice pictures. We would have never made it that far in our family with a picture taking session. If the first few pictures don't take, we're done. We are not patient.

Love the new look!

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at December 22, 2008 5:29 PM

Great news on the VIWT. Here's hoping you gets plenty of time off to enjoy the holidays with your family.

I'm diggin' the new layout/design. Looks way tight.

Great pics of the kids too!

Posted by: coolchick at December 22, 2008 8:36 PM

Those outtakes are so funny! My favorite is the one of Mia grabbing Owen and cousin around the neck and pulling them towards her! She totally reminds me of my big sister :)

Posted by: La Petite Chic at December 23, 2008 10:57 AM

lookin' good! like the little icons at the bottom of each post. Yeah, I'm all about the icons.

Posted by: holly at December 23, 2008 11:04 AM