December 5, 2008

The Weeklies #64

The Weekly Number. 36

The Weekly Music. Scott Weiland's first solo album, 12 Bar Blues kinda bit. I tried to get into it but the more I tried the more I despised it. And frankly, from that point on, almost everything he and Stone Temple Pilots released bit as well. So I was apprehensive about Happy In Galoshes. But I bought it anyway. And it was a good choice. Turns out that despite all of Weiland's issues and unpredictability, he's recorded a pretty decent solo album. One can only hope that whatever he ends up doing with STP after tragically walking out on Velvet Revolver will be this good. (Also, The Beatles White Album, disc two track one.)

The Weekly Quote. "Last week the candle factory burned down. Everyone just stood around and sang Happy Birthday." - Steven Wright

The Weekly Picture.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Ding dong the Bratz are dead! A judge in California issued the order to stop production on Bratz dolls and merchandise. Sweet baby jesus there is a Santa Claus!

The Weekly Hypothetical. So, you just happen to be on some blogger's site and you put two and two together and realize that it just might be his birthday. If said blogger asked what one cool thing - something new, something he's never tried, some cool experience - he should shoot to do during this, his 36th year, what would be your advice?

Posted by Chris at December 5, 2008 6:55 AM
Comments

For the weekly Hypothetical. I would happy comment on his comment box to wish this blogger a Happy Birthday and have a nice weekend for him and his adorable family.

Anica.

BTW... Happy Birthday. I love your blog.

Posted by: anica at December 5, 2008 7:08 AM

Happy Birthday!!

Posted by: Ann Adams at December 5, 2008 7:22 AM

Happy B-day!

Your and Beth b-days are close together. That must have been fun, back in the day!

Posted by: jodifur at December 5, 2008 7:38 AM

Chris,

First of all it's your 37th year. When you're born -- age zero, you're in you're first year. The day you turn 1, you enter your second year. Need I go on? So what do do this year that would be cool? I've been trying to get you to write a book, but you've said you're not ready.

So try this: Every day for the next 365 days, commit a random act of kindness. I think you can define for yourself what a RAOK is, but on my last milestone birthday I told my guests no gifts -- just commit a random act of kindness on my behalf. Then write me a letter documenting it.

The results were beyond my imagination. Everything from buying a meal for a stranger, to the one that blew me away the most. My friend Lori, a department head, was told that she had to fire one of the secretaries as part of a company wide cut back. Any secretary. It's not about performance. It's about saving the money.

Lori decided to take a pay cut instead. She said she was looking for a random act of kindness to do for my birthday and that seemed like the right one to do. She literally took a pay cut to save someone's job.

If that doesn't go under the heading of cool experience, what does? So for your 37th year, commit a Random Act Of Kindness every day. And then, Chris...

In your 38th year, write a book about it.

Happy birthday, Dude.

Marshall

Posted by: Marshall at December 5, 2008 7:52 AM

Happy Birthday! Like I said the other day, you're like 2 minutes away from turning 40! hehe midlife crisis yet? LOL

Posted by: La Petite Belle at December 5, 2008 7:53 AM

Happy Birthday!

I think you should do a swim with the sharks experience. I bought a package for my husband for his birthday. We are going next weekend to the Camden Aquarium....after I increase his life insurance policy!

Posted by: Lisa at December 5, 2008 7:57 AM

Happy Birthday, Chris!!!

Let's see -- you married a beautiful woman, have produced 2 of the most beautiful children I've ever seen, you read more books and listen to more music than anyone I know -- what the hell is there left to accomplish?

Yup, sorry to say, you peaked too soon.

Posted by: Robyn at December 5, 2008 8:01 AM

Happy Birthday, Chris!

Posted by: Hazel at December 5, 2008 8:19 AM

It seems like your birthday was only a few short weeks ago. Where did the year go?

Have a great day!

Posted by: Heather at December 5, 2008 8:41 AM

I would tell him to make mad, passionate love to his wife after a great dinner where they held hands through the whole dinner, staring into each others' eyes. To hug his kids and listen to stories they tell, in English or otherwise.

And, of course, to take the family to Minneapolis. :) How could you not see the Mall of America by now?

Posted by: alektra at December 5, 2008 8:44 AM

Have you tried white water rafting? I hear it's awesome.

Happy Birthday! :)

Posted by: Claire at December 5, 2008 8:45 AM

Happy Birthday, Chris!
In this next year, because of your love for music and because you and Beth are uber but not obnoxious hip, why don't you try to spend a weekend in Manhattan with the specific purpose of visiting Cafe Wha in the Village? You get fabulous mum and dad time, great music, great shopping and if all else fails, you can stand around Times Square and be entertained by the more challenged side of our population.

Posted by: Wack-a-do at December 5, 2008 8:50 AM

I would say ride in a race car. I did it at Texas Motor Speedway, and despite my previous notions about Nascar, its drivers and the like - it was really SUCH a rush and overall, great fun.

Happy Birthday, Chris - I hope it's a great one. :o)

Posted by: Emily at December 5, 2008 8:52 AM

Happy Birthday.

Posted by: daisy at December 5, 2008 8:56 AM

Dude, you're 36? Happy Birthday!

Posted by: mymilabean at December 5, 2008 9:07 AM

Have you downhill skiied? You should try that.

Happy Birthday. May 36 be a good year.

Posted by: suze at December 5, 2008 9:07 AM

Happy Birthday!

I am SO relieved not to have to worry about Bratz in my future. Thanks for making my day. Hope your Birthday Weekend is fab!

Posted by: Shelly at December 5, 2008 9:08 AM

Happy birthday! Cool experience? Um, come to Scotland and have a deep-fried haggis and chips (sorry, fries).

Posted by: Katherine at December 5, 2008 9:12 AM

Just start this year out right by blowing out ALL those candles..you know, so that candle factory wouldn't burn down! Have a great birthday!

Posted by: Tera at December 5, 2008 9:13 AM

Happy Birthday Mr. Cactus.

The possibilities are endless for you this year. (did that sound like a fortune cookie or what?)

Spend the year taking photos(and writings) and publish your own coffee table book full of them.

You could use your wicked cool bloggy powers and create a kick ass charity drive for your favortie charity.

or you could sit back, realax and enjoy this next year.What ever you choose, have a great one.

~CE

Posted by: crookedeyebrow at December 5, 2008 9:15 AM

I was so hoping you were going to put "what's your penis doing?" into the weeklies!!!

Posted by: Kris H at December 5, 2008 9:17 AM

Oh...and Happy Birthday!!!

Posted by: Kris H at December 5, 2008 9:18 AM

The same thing you do every year of course. Plan to take over the world. - courtesy of Pinky and The Brain.

Are you looking for death defying or fulfilling? I would say rent an hour in a recording studio and record a song - any song.

Posted by: anna at December 5, 2008 9:19 AM

I LOVE Marshall's idea. Seriously. Reading that knocked me off my feet. I'm going to catalog that for next year.
And since there is no way to top that, here is my simple but fun idea for your birthday.

Make smores and drink a rose wine with them. Specifically Sophia Coppola Rose. I know it sounds weird...but even if you are not a wine drinker, this combination will surprise you.

Happy birthday!!

And yay for the death of Bratz.

Posted by: varinia at December 5, 2008 9:19 AM

Posted by: Christina at December 5, 2008 9:24 AM

Happy Birthday Chris! I hope this year is stellar for you.

I like the Random Act of Kindness idea. This world needs more people who think like Marshall. What a great idea.

As a matter of fact, I am going to do it myself. I do not get out every day (SAHM and all), but when I DO, I shall commit a RAOK.

Oh. And a coffee table book about your bathroom encounters would probably make you millions!

Posted by: Jen at December 5, 2008 9:27 AM

I have no great ideas (you're already into so much cool stuff), but have a Happy Birthday anyway. You can think of the death of the Bratz as your gift from me. :-)

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 5, 2008 9:30 AM

Happy, happy birthday and many more!

Posted by: Tuesday at December 5, 2008 9:34 AM

Happy Birthday!

How about sky diving? I really, really want to do it but I'd appreciate the honest opinion of someone else before I commit to trying it.

Posted by: Jennifer at December 5, 2008 9:40 AM

happy birthday :) hope this year is the best yet!

Posted by: Becky at December 5, 2008 9:43 AM

happy birthday :) hope this year is the best yet!

Posted by: Becky at December 5, 2008 9:43 AM

happy birthday :) hope this year is the best yet!

Posted by: Becky at December 5, 2008 9:43 AM

Happy Birthday, Chris!

Posted by: Caleal at December 5, 2008 9:45 AM

Happy Birthday fellow December baby! I have no great ideas for what to do next year, it's early and it's a Friday, I'd say just go with the flow!

Posted by: Gabriella at December 5, 2008 9:46 AM

My brain is fried so I can't dispense advice at this time.

I hope you have a very happy birthday.

Posted by: Maria at December 5, 2008 9:48 AM

Marshall's idea totally rocked!!!! everyone could send you a "comment" all during the year on what they did on your behalf... I'm gonna....and? the bathroom book the cover could just have clown shoes emerging from behind a stall door!!!!!!!! you could even put a hole in the corner with a little chain to hang it from the toilet handle like "jokes for the john" did...or the coffee table book with the title "strange encounters" OMG!!!! you would be FAMOUS... (not that you aren't famous already in the blogworld!!!)

happy birthday!!

Posted by: the unicorn at December 5, 2008 9:52 AM

Happy Birthday!

I'd say pursue one of your dreams next year, even if it is a small one. That's my plan right now anyway, and I feel pretty good about it.

Posted by: bad penguin at December 5, 2008 9:57 AM

Happy Birthday!

I think a Kindle would be cool given all the reading you do.

Posted by: Cass at December 5, 2008 10:02 AM

OK, I'm obviously dense because I didn't get it until the end, but Happy Birthday! I'd say go to Antarctica this year, but hey, that's my goal, and well, I'm no longer 36.

Posted by: Heather at December 5, 2008 10:12 AM

Happy Birthday Chris :)

I recommend eating as many cupcakes as possible. Then again, I have a minor obsession with cupcakes.

Posted by: Kate at December 5, 2008 10:12 AM

Happy Birthday Chris! And rock climbing? I did it this year and it was exhilarating!

Posted by: k8 at December 5, 2008 10:18 AM

Happy birthday! I also love the RAOK idea, I don't think you can get any cooler than that!

Posted by: Karen at December 5, 2008 10:21 AM

Happy Birthday! I'm with the crowd, make a book of haikus and bathroom stories. And commit random acts of kindness. Have a wonderful day with your family. :-)

Posted by: Lizzle at December 5, 2008 10:27 AM

Happy Birthday!

Hm, perhaps for your goal for your next year should be to give better gift ideas to your wife and update your Amazon wishlist? Oh wait, that's really a present for her... :-)

I have to say, I really like Marshall's idea of the Random Act of Kindness. But my own recommendation would be to do the Nelson Rocks Preserve Via Ferrata -- http://www.nelsonrocks.org/via.html . (I was actually too chicken to do it myself and just went hiking when some of my friends did it, but this is about you, not me.)

Posted by: Stephanie at December 5, 2008 10:29 AM

Posted by: heidi at December 5, 2008 10:39 AM

Happy Birthday!

That is an awesome picture. I made me smile, and it still does.

Hypothetical: Do something weird with facial hair. ;-)

Posted by: LeSombre at December 5, 2008 10:49 AM

Happy hypothetical! :D

Now we are the same age! You are catching up. ;)

Posted by: Jacqueline at December 5, 2008 10:55 AM

Take notes then tell me what I should do on my 36th next month.

Or jump out of an airplane (with a parachute). Your choice.

Happy birthday.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 5, 2008 10:55 AM

You should write a book. Or publish a collection of your blog posts.

And Happy birthday.

Posted by: Sarah at December 5, 2008 10:58 AM

After Owen turns 1, leave the kids with the grandparents for at least a week and travel someplace internationally, preferably someplace rich in historical significance. I recommend Rome, Greece or Scotland.

Now, maybe you've done this before, but I don't recall hearing you mention it.

Posted by: Amy at December 5, 2008 11:00 AM

Happy Birthday, sir. Yours, is my favorite blog and has been for a while. We have a lot in common and it's been fun to stop by over the years. It feels a bit like keeping up with a high school buddy who moved away. :)

One cool thing this year? Two chicks at the same time. Huh huh.

Dude, I don't know. Being in your 30s is an anomaly. You did a bunch of great stuff already in your 20s, and aren't interested in doing the stuff you didn't get to. Too young to take a month off from work and travel or something. I'd go for a 3-day trip without the kids. It's pretty awesome.

Posted by: Brad at December 5, 2008 11:00 AM

Happy Birthday!
I'm thinking along the lines of Marshall on this one…only slightly different. Find a way to donate 8 hours of your time each month volunteering for a cause you believe in. Involve your children and instill in them the value of volunteerism. Even if it's volunteering to read at a library, a trash cleanup at your local park or running/volunteering for a local 5K that raises money for a charity you find worthy. Give the gift of you to the world during your 37th year. You may be surprised what you receive in return.

Posted by: Beth at December 5, 2008 11:11 AM

Happy Birthday Chris!

Hmmm...thoughts for being 36...you are already happily married with gorgeous kids and a good job...I'd say keep it up, you are ahead of most of the world!

Posted by: The Stiletto Mom at December 5, 2008 11:23 AM

Happy birthday!

Two suggestions:

1. Alpine slide because of the wicked YouTube videos you can create.
2. Cuddle party, because it sounds innocent even though I think it’s probably straight out of a Nip/Tuck episode.

I can’t personally testify to either, because I’m saving those experiences for when I’m 36.

Posted by: Rachel at December 5, 2008 11:25 AM

Hope you have a wonderful birthday, Chris!! Since you're a former trackie, I say you aim to run a marathon this year :)

Posted by: La Petite Chic at December 5, 2008 11:36 AM

Happy happy birthday!!!!

Create a monthly video podcast??!

Posted by: ::c:: at December 5, 2008 11:38 AM

Happry Birthday dude... Though I like most of the ideas mentioned above - you are so super busy and working in Monkeytown is very stressful - I'd say chill on a beach somewhere with the family. And take lots of pics.

Posted by: Sue R at December 5, 2008 11:41 AM

I have to go with write a book. Or publish a photography book.
And have a very happy birthday!

Posted by: diane at December 5, 2008 11:42 AM

Happy Birthday!! Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!

Posted by: Adi at December 5, 2008 12:06 PM

Ever been to the Grand Canyon? It's worth it.

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Posted by: Arwen at December 5, 2008 12:07 PM

Happy Birthday!

According to Beth, you should learn how to read music. You play, you read, why not read music?

Posted by: Krush at December 5, 2008 12:49 PM

Happy Birthday! Maybe shoot for a you and Beth vacation?

Posted by: That Girl at December 5, 2008 1:00 PM

Happy Birthday!
My advice: create a spreadsheet with 2008 in column A1, and 36 in A2; then auto fill it out till row 2 has you at age 50. In each column, put Mia's, Owen's, and Beth's relative ages. Then start listing big important events ( for example, I put Olympics, World Cups, upcoming movies, major events ( solar eclipses, end of Mayan calendar, that kind of stuff ). Then look at it and see how quickly it is all going to fly by, and then start filling in the blanks of what else you want to fill the years with.

Also, play Fallout 3, and try those 7 hour energy shot things.

Austin

Posted by: metawizard at December 5, 2008 2:03 PM

Happy Birthday!

Also, play Fallout 3, and try those 7 hour energy shot things.

Austin

Posted by: metawizard at December 5, 2008 2:04 PM

I want you to go to a liquor store and buy a bottle of Hungarian wine called
Tokaji
This is like the very best slow sipping wine I have ever had in my life. EVER!!!
Happy Birthday, Cactus!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 5, 2008 2:06 PM

Happy birthday!!! Hmmm every walk the Golden Gate Bridge with Beth? That's something on my list of things too do, sans children.

ps. Love the picture.

Posted by: Issa at December 5, 2008 2:13 PM

I have no ideas, but just wanted to say Happy Birthday! Now you have a "birthday weekend" Enjoy!!!

Posted by: Danielle at December 5, 2008 3:25 PM

Happy Birthday! But I don't have any suggestions...I am frying my brain just trying to figure out what to get my husband for Christmas! ;-)

Have a good birthday weekend!!

Posted by: cyndy at December 5, 2008 3:28 PM

Happy Birthday!

I agree with other posters -- you should write a book of some sort. Why limit your talent to a blog? But while that's a cool experience in the aggregate, daily it's kind of a slog.

Otherwise: hike the Himalayas? Train for a marathon? Form a band? Volunteer with Mia for some cause you care passionately about?

And I guess I'm the trashy mom: I love Bratz dolls. So much sassier than that prissy Barbie!

Posted by: Laura at December 5, 2008 4:25 PM

Happy birthday :)

I suggest a week inn Hawaii. It's the most perfect place on earth. Though it took me until my 37th year to get there.

Posted by: Jenny at December 5, 2008 4:45 PM

Happy Birthday Cactus dear!! Hope it's swell! As for reccomendations, I got nothin!

Love the pic!

Posted by: Kris at December 5, 2008 5:46 PM

In such a purely hypothetical situation as this I would get all curmudgeony and remind said blogger that 40 is a hell of a lot closer than you think!

Then, I would reconsider and say that if there is something that you really want to do before your kids have to feed you with a spoon, and you haven't yet begun, start making it happen this year.

Posted by: Gramps at December 5, 2008 6:28 PM

1. that weekly picture makes my week.
2. happy birthday to you chonch!
3. that is all :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at December 5, 2008 7:12 PM

Happy Birthday! :) As for what to do, I'm not sure. The good ideas have been taken. Travel internationally, bungee jump, sky dive, weekend alone with your wife, RAOK. But I agree...that RAOK idea is pretty awesome!

Posted by: Amanda at December 5, 2008 7:48 PM

Posted by: Phyllis at December 5, 2008 7:52 PM

happy birthday!

and i can't believe OJ's sentencing didn't make it as your schadenfreude!

Posted by: Wendy at December 5, 2008 8:12 PM

Happy birthday.

I'm right behind you.

(not literally, I mean I'll be 36 next week)

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at December 5, 2008 8:55 PM

Happy Birthday, Mr. Cactus! :D

Posted by: Manda at December 5, 2008 9:30 PM

Happy 36th birthday! Have a good one!

Posted by: Jo at December 5, 2008 9:34 PM

Happy happy birthday :D
I am quite happy to hear the news about Bratz.

Posted by: Heather at December 5, 2008 10:08 PM

Posted by: erin at December 5, 2008 10:12 PM

Happy birthday, Chris! I love the RAOK idea. You already have the whole living happily ever after thing down pat, apparently, so what else is there? Have a great birthday weekend.

Posted by: Liz at December 5, 2008 11:25 PM

Posted by: Liz at December 5, 2008 11:25 PM

happy birthday! i hope it's a great one. hypothetically speaking...you've gotten some great ideas already. i too, love the ROAK idea and if you're brave enough with two little ones...travel. Seeing the world through their eyes has no comparison.

Posted by: jen at December 5, 2008 11:44 PM

Happy birthday, old man!

Have you been to New York City at Christmastime? I'm guessing you have. If not, that's my suggestion.

Posted by: Poppy at December 6, 2008 12:19 AM

Technically, I'm late since it's after midnight, but happy happy birthday Chris!

What should you try this year? Jump on the UNC-Chapel Hill Tarheel bandwagon, and pull hard for the Heels. Start with basketball since that's the easiest. Then segue over to football (on Dec 27th for the Meineke Bowl in Charlotte), then back to basketball for the rest of the seasonthen before you know it, you're a full blown, flag-flying Tarheel fan!

Go Heels!

Posted by: coolchick at December 6, 2008 12:46 AM

happy (now technically belated) birthday! i hope it was a great day.

Posted by: erin at December 6, 2008 12:46 AM

Posted by: kami at December 6, 2008 1:07 AM

Happy (belated) birfday! I'd try hang gliding if I were you. OK, well, technically, I'd try hang gliding if I were me, since it's been a lifelong dream of mine, but I just thought I'd be nice and let you share my dream. ;)

Posted by: Michelle at December 6, 2008 6:42 AM

Ummmm....
This year you should run a marathon... Beth might kill you though.

Happy Birthday.

Posted by: Nat at December 6, 2008 9:33 AM

Happy birthday old man! Maybe you should get on Last.fm and celebrate the fact that you can still hear well enough to listen to good music!

Posted by: Stephanie at December 6, 2008 3:04 PM

Happy Birthday Chris! Hope you have had a great weekend. Ok things to do this year...

* A camping trip (solo like some sort of man meets wild thing)
* A city weekend trip away without kids AT least 2 nights away to soak up bars, galleries, cafes, restuarants and your wife

That's all I can think of but it is before 7am on a Sunday morning so slack is to be cut.

Posted by: Beth at December 6, 2008 3:08 PM

Happy Birthday Chris!!!!

You should take yourself and your family to Denmark and go to Tivoli. Mia would LOVE it! Not only is Denmark an awesome cool place that happens to have Legoland (they created them), BUT they have a replica of a viking ship that you (and family) get to 'help' operate all the way to Norway. A great time had by all (and cell phone signal...).

Or you could make a paper mache dinosaur with Mia and determine it to be the new family pet. :)

Posted by: Jennie at December 6, 2008 11:11 PM

Happy birthday! I've still got one year on ya. BTW, 37 isn't much different from 36... especially when one feels like he/she is still 25 (or 12, as the case may be).

Posted by: ironic1 at December 7, 2008 12:56 AM

Happy birthday!

Posted by: jessica fantastica at December 8, 2008 5:58 AM

Happy Birthday a few days late. Hope it was great!

Posted by: Dianna at December 8, 2008 10:47 PM