December 15, 2008

Moon Over Virginia

This is going to be a long week. Really. And I'm having a hard time with the realization that it's Monday. I don't want it to be Monday. But, checking the calendar, apparently the universe isn't taking its direction from me. Still Monday. Let's look back on fonder times, on the weekend.

Did you realize that the moon was closer to the earth this weekend than it has been all year? I wasn't allowed to forget it once I'd shared this information with Mia. Because whenever she saw the moon - or a reflection in the window she mistook for the moon - she shouted the moon! like the moon she was talking about was her bottom and it was on fire. Mia woke me up really early yesterday morning and, despite the fact that I stumbled into the kitchen table and fucked up my toe, nearly forgot to put coffee int he coffee maker and almost ended up with really hot yet non-caffeinated water and then put my hoodie on inside out, the view of our backyard through the kitchen window was pretty damn remarkable.

Beth and I made several attempts to capture some Christmas portraits of the kids for our Christmas cards. With varying degrees of success. A tip for those of you photographing children: 3% of the shots turn out the way you want them to while 97% don't. If you're lucky. And the vast majority of portraits involving two or more children look as though said children are attempting to become professional wrestlers.

After planning escape for months, my ass finally tried to make a break for it. I don't know why it felt the need to abandon me but I did manage to escape and am working on terms under which my ass and I can live happily together.

Mia designed and developed what I think you'll agree is the cutest, most awesome holiday-themed superhero-princess combination in history. Allow me to introduce you to Princess Noel, the holiday tropical princess fairy.

For the record, I also drank beer, ate pizza and Mexican food (not at the same time), finished a book and started another, worked for a little bit, was dressed up like a princess (no pictures, sorry), watched the Redskins game (disappointing as usual), cut out fairies using previously undiscovered fairy-designing talents, cleaned, slept, dreaded returning to work, and caught up on TiVo. So, yeah. It was a little busy.

How about you? What did you do this weekend? And are you ready for the holidays?

Posted by Chris at December 15, 2008 6:44 AM
Comments

Princess Noel is BRILLIANT!

I worked Saturday and did household chores yesterday. Nothing too exciting.

Posted by: Maria at December 15, 2008 7:14 AM

LOL Love your pictures of the weekend. The moon (or being mooned?) also fascinated me, it was gorgeous.

What did I do this weekend? Dunno, been up since 5:30 and have yet to do anything productive. Go figure. :)

Posted by: Hannah at December 15, 2008 7:39 AM

Wasn't the moon awesome?! Glad I could provide the topic of conversation for Mia this weekend. Husband and I were in the hot tub around 10:30pm on Friday and it was so bright out!
The weekend was about parties - Friday night party and Saturday night dinner so the days were just lazy and relaxing.
Son comes home on Thursday and I'm hosting the family party on Sunday so my house and I will be in turmoil all week.

Posted by: NancyJak at December 15, 2008 7:52 AM

Bah. Freaking. Hum. Bug.

But yes, Princess Noel is AWESOME.

Posted by: Elise at December 15, 2008 7:54 AM

What did I do? Well I drove through the remnants of the New England ice storm. There were signs along the way that were generator run that said, "Next 10 miles, DO NOT STOP" It was amazingly horrific to see what ice can do to an area.

Posted by: Maribeth at December 15, 2008 8:42 AM

You totally photoshopped out your hiney didn't you? No underwear can be that blue.

I did mostly nothing and after the week I'd had I needed to do mostly nothing. It was heaven.

Now...just 7 more days of work and then 8 days of non-work. Can't wait.

Posted by: daisy at December 15, 2008 8:47 AM

We took Santa pics on Friday evening and although he did not cry, he also didn't smile. And in some ways, I think I am pretty ready for the holidays. My week will be both slow and busy, and then we leave for my parents' house on Friday. And Friday cannot come soon enough!

Posted by: Claire at December 15, 2008 9:19 AM

I can't wake up.

Seriously, I can't. It's bad.

Posted by: jessica at December 15, 2008 9:36 AM

I attended a Christmas party Friday night, which involved a bunch of older science-related faculty dancing. This sight made continuing to live totally worth it, as it made me and white men around the world feel less self-conscious about our dancing skillz.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 15, 2008 9:39 AM

Princess Noel is my favorite super hero now!! Your offspring are precious :D

I leave for Oklahoma on Friday morning. I can't wait. I need a vacation!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at December 15, 2008 9:52 AM

I slept til noon, took three hour naps, and played Rock Band.

I haven't exactly handled the transition from classes to no classes very well yet. It takes time.

Posted by: caleal at December 15, 2008 9:53 AM

snazzy undies!
I happen to like the child wrestling shots... gives them character. lol.

Posted by: holly at December 15, 2008 10:13 AM

Unbloody hockey game on Friday night, but the shoving and punching was entertaining. Holiday symphony concert on Saturday night, interspersed with napping and putting frozen peas on my inflamed sinuses for hours at a time and trying my damndest to get well for God's sake.

And I think I'm going to show Mr. Drag Queen Mia's costume. Just saying....

Posted by: k8 at December 15, 2008 10:37 AM

Cute pictures. My weekend involved 2 movies, shopping, eating, football and a nap.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at December 15, 2008 10:53 AM

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at December 15, 2008 10:53 AM

We had a similar experience this weekend with Christmas pictures and Santa pictures. I took about 70 pictures and got one that's sort of usable.

The holiday tropical princess is brilliant. she's adorable.

Posted by: Jen at December 15, 2008 11:04 AM

Adorable pictures although I could have lived without the view of your boxers.

Yesterday I took the train to Fresno and met Tim for two Christmas concerts, two hours apart, at the same United Church of Christ (the folks who took Sponge Bob in after the religious right accused him of being gay). Tim's partner (spouse?) was singing in both, once with the Grand Opera Chorus and the other with the Gay Men's Chorus and they were lovely.

They're settling in to their new apartment. Tim will move there as soon as his classes here end for the semester. I'll miss him but I'm so glad he's finally found someone. Families come in all shapes and sizes.

End of editorial comment.

Good weekend, overall.

Posted by: Ann Adams at December 15, 2008 11:22 AM

It finally snowed here in Idaho and my boys had a blast (me not so much).

Your butt must have read the book "The Day My Butt Went Psycho" (and yes it is a real kids book). It is about butts trying to take over the world because they think they are being abused and should be on the shoulders not under the pants.

Holidays...what holidays? I am not even being close to being ready....I will be rushing around as usual until the last minute.

Posted by: kali at December 15, 2008 11:56 AM

I'm almost ready, which is very unusual for me, but I managed to shop and wrap this weekend and I only have a few things I still need to buy for our son. Our daughter is done, but when I came home I realized I had bought a lot more for her than for him, huge OOPS, so now I have to go out and buy more for him to even it out.. hehe

Posted by: La Petite Belle at December 15, 2008 12:32 PM

We put up the tree, had my parents over for dinner, dog sat which brought the total canine count to 7 and had all three kids all weekend, we even managed to do dinner at the MIL's house yesterday. All that on top of chores and normal weekend shiz as laundry, grocery,....man I'm tired....wish it was Friday!

Posted by: Alexandra at December 15, 2008 1:16 PM

HAH, that is exactly why I refuse to do child photography, the little bugs won't listen. Mine have tricked me into it a few times but that is about it!

Posted by: Jeff A at December 15, 2008 1:31 PM

Well this weekend was spent sanitizing and doing laundry. Both Sydney and Ava had the stomach flu all weekend. blech. When I wasn't cleaning up puke, I was trying to get a christmas slide show finished that I have been working on for months. Nothing too exciting. Now that everyone is better, its on. We have baking and cleaning and wrapping and drinking to do :)

Posted by: Kristin at December 15, 2008 2:06 PM

I had a great weekend. Lots of Christmas catch up's with both sides of the family. I think we are up to 3 christmas's already and it's only the 16th Dec (damn divorced families on both sides!). And the holidays....yes....YES! I am SO looking forward to them. Not ready as yet with a gazillion things to do...we fly out to Paris on Saturday and to say I am excited is an understatement. Thanks for telling me to go!

Posted by: Beth at December 15, 2008 2:46 PM

um, well, i had the flu this weekend...AWESOME.

if you think getting a photo of two is hard...try three. mostly what i capture is each one complaining because he or she doesn't want to be touched by someone else....again, AWESOME.

Posted by: ali at December 15, 2008 3:26 PM

Oh yes, I recently tried to get a photo of my 5 year old nephew and his 3 year old and 1 year old sisters. It was not easy.

We got our tree this weekend, and then I hung out with my absolute best friend from high school, which was awesome. And then this morning I realized that Christmas is 10 days away and I still have to do my shopping. I'm a little panicked about that!

Posted by: bad penguin at December 15, 2008 6:24 PM

So cute!

I wanted to let you know that I have a giveaway happening at my blog-2 $5 Starbucks cards and a $20 gift card to Macy's if you're interested....

Enter soon cause it's closing pretty quick!

Posted by: Scattered Mom at December 16, 2008 12:21 AM

I, kind Mister, got to start off the weekend by getting engaged on Friday night, so a pretty cool weekend of making our announcements followed :-)

And I worked, but working the weekend is much more fun when one just got engaged.

(does Mister beat Sir at all? Lordy knows I HATE getting the Ma'am- just when woman is thinking she looks attractive and youthful, she gets the 'Ma'am )

Posted by: Karen at December 16, 2008 6:50 AM

I love her princess!!!! I love that you dressed up as a princess even if you won't show us!

I went to the Charles Dickens Faire and got freaked out by the Chimney Sweeps who kept flirting with me all day!

Holidays...I am Scrooge! So not into the commercial part of Christmas...plus it is a "Christian holiday" and really I am not one...but I do have a few gifts for my BF and kids... I think it was WAY fun when my kids were little...not so much now.

Posted by: Gypsy at December 16, 2008 10:08 AM

Whispers amongst the Cactus denizens is that your a princess everyday! Snap!

No kidding on the kiddy pix. They're either leaning, frowning, chortling, drooling or getting up. Fast advancing features work well here.

The moon is a big favorite in our house. Daughter Smoke has been fascinated for a couple years now. As a matter of fact the sun is a "big moon". It seems to have an effect on her.

Got some shots of the moon myself - both morning and night(horrible exposure). Now the challenge will be getting them out of the camera and on the computer then to flickr, etc, etc...

I wish I could have the camera wired to my eyeballs and then all I'd need to do is stick my finger in a socket somewhere and load directly to the net. Or better yet, beam them directly from my beat up ol' brain. (yes, this is what we think about staring out the windows of airplanes). So sad.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at December 16, 2008 12:26 PM

Please tell Mia she is tops in my book.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at December 17, 2008 4:15 PM