January 5, 2009

Christmas Break, By The Numbers

I'm awake, headed back to work and I'm not happy about it. In the slightest. This is the rudest awakening I've had in a long time. I reminded of the times when I was a kid and my mom had to threaten me to get out of bed before school.

Mom: Time to get up!
Me: Don't wanna.
Mom: Seriously, Chris. You have to get up and go to school.
Me: I think I have the bubonic plague.
Mom: Do not. Get up. Time to get ready.
Me: I'd rather make out with the quiet one from Wham.

Remember, this was the mid-80's. And, while we're on it, what exactly did Andrew Ridgley do in Wham?

Adequately capturing everything that went down during the last two weeks would be impossible unless I was willing to write 100,000 words and you were willing to read it. I think we can both agree that we'd rather not do that. It's early. Some of us haven't had the proper amount of coffee. So I figured I'd just break it all out by the numbers.

• Days off including weekends: 12
  • Times I shaved: 1
  • Normal colored hairs that filled out my beard: 3
  • Gray hairs that filled out my beard: 894
  • Beers consumed: 20
  • Cups of coffee consumed: 24
  • Books read: 2
  • Museums visited: 1
  • Hours of TiVo caught up on: 0 (there's dick on, people)
  • Hours of HGTV watched: 34
  • Hours spent playing Santa: 432
  • Times I accidentally talked to Beth using my Santa voice: 5
  • Construction paper butterflies made as gifts for Mia from Dad-Santa: 1
  • Pictures taken: 390
  • Perfect meals of cheese fondue prepared: 1
  • Calories ingested: 8,205,811
  • Trips to Target: 3
  • Trips to Home Depot: 1
  • Articles of clothing dropped off/picked up at cleaners: 32
  • Dollars spent on dry cleaning: 92
  • Games of Candy Land played: 2,494
  • Games of Candy Land won; 1 (seriously, is there an adult detector in that game that makes the adult playing lose?)
  • Basement rooms rearranged: 2
  • Words Owen learned: 3
  • Books moved: 1.2 billion
  • Balls sprained: 1
  • Disney movies viewed: 6
  • Princesses dressed and made over: 6
  • Times I cursed Disney: 926

And there you have it. I am now hopelessly depressed that I'm back at work and missing my kids something fierce. But all that time off during the holidays was worth it.

How bout you? Having trouble getting back into the swing of things? And how, on the whole, were your holidays? What are your holiday numbers?

Posted by Chris at January 5, 2009 6:38 AM
Comments

Oy... I can't even wrap my head around the fact that there IS a 6 and 7 o'clock in the MORNING, let along state the numbers from my winter break. (Perhaps I will be able to do that later...)

As for Andrew Ridgely, his job was to play "catcher" -- I will not explain what KIND of catcher, but I'm sure you'll catch my drift. Oh, and to make George Michael look even more effeminate.

OK, that is more than my poor brain can handle right now. May today (and this week) pass in a quick blur!

Posted by: ironic1 at January 5, 2009 7:27 AM

This is for the last week.
Number of colds/viruses nursing: 2
Number of days off (including Sat. and Sun.): 4
Number of turkeys roasted: 1
Number of white eyebrow hairs found: 4
Hours of Closer/Cold Case/Without of Trace Caught up on: 18 +/-
Loads of laundry: 4

I didn't do much because I wasn't feeling well and I'm still not. This is going to be a long, long day. I'm up to my going white eyebrows (found these this morning and it is bothering me) in annual report production.

Posted by: Maria at January 5, 2009 7:31 AM

I was off from school for 12 glorious days (counting weekends). I caught another cold right after the first one was leaving but, who cares!, I didn't have to go to school!
I cleaned my office at home; knit; ate; read; ate some more and just generally lived each day like I never had to work another day in my life.
Today it's a new routine (awake at the same time but out of bed at the first alarm) and I'm ready to go face the world!

Posted by: NancyJak at January 5, 2009 7:43 AM

I'm lucky as I don't work Mondays so I'm back tomorrow, but I've been off since the 19th. Not looking forward to tomorrow though.

Posted by: Katherine at January 5, 2009 7:44 AM

days off total... 17 (the last day of work we got 10 inches of snow...so i didn't have to go in!), skipped working on the 22,23,2 - took vacation days... i now have 65 left... long story... seems like i did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...until just YESTERDAY...then i worked like a crazy person... cleaned the pantry - what a nightmare - my wife works at a super market, can't come home without SOMETHING... and has no idea what she has cuz she just shoves it in the pantry... i hesitate to mention the sugar brick i found... next to the "new" sugar purchased in September... and that turned into cleaning the cupboards and below the sink... YUK... then come back to a bazillion spam messages in email... and the system being down... I just KNOW the year can only get better from here on out...ya think?

Posted by: the unicorn at January 5, 2009 8:12 AM

I would love to have to go to work today. *sniff*

Posted by: Elise at January 5, 2009 8:20 AM

Am I having trouble getting into the swing of things? Um, no. I'm a work at home mom. 50% of my kids are going back to school today (the little one goes to preschool tomorrow - TOMORROW will be a grand and productive day). Having spent two plus weeks with someone constantly over my shoulder, I was glad for the end of the holiday -- need a few days of quiet and some downtime to get my brain back in working order.

I had a great holiday and a great time with my children, but I'm ready to get my groove back and find my routine again. (Type A much?).

Posted by: Sarah at January 5, 2009 8:24 AM

Christmas dinners cooked, 2
Meals eaten, 1 too many
pounds gained, none!
time spent with my daughter and her boyfriend, 6
hours spent shopping, 8
hours spent cleaning up after meals too many
Uncles lost, 1 very dear, much loved. Good-bye Uncle George.

Posted by: Maribeth at January 5, 2009 8:24 AM

As a person who works from home about half of the time anyway, it was especially odd to be sitting at my office desk this morning at 7:00am.

Days away from the office: 19
Days I worked anyway: 8
Calories consumed: 10,000,001
Days I slept in: 15
Time I woke up this morning: 6:00am
Time I'll be ready for a nap: 12:30pm

It sucks to be back, but all good things come to an end. I loved our vacation time and I'm happier today because of it.

Posted by: Brad at January 5, 2009 8:44 AM

Must be rough. LOL I worked the entire time during the holidays minus the two paid holidays I had off. LOL So you do know I am playing the worlds tiniest violin right?

Posted by: Deirdre at January 5, 2009 8:57 AM

I copied you...there's only so much originality in this sleep-deprived brain of mine.

Welcome back to the working world.

Posted by: wn at January 5, 2009 9:13 AM

Awesome, awesome breakdown. Glad you had a great vacation.

If you were unemployed like some of us, you could stay home and be a lazy bum like me. But then you'd wonder how you'd pay the mortgage. :)

Have a happy, happy new year.

Posted by: at January 5, 2009 9:21 AM

I completely agree with the adult detector in kids games. Doesn't matter if it's Blue's Clues or Candyland, the girls always whip my butt.

Posted by: Rex at January 5, 2009 9:30 AM

I rang in the new year by getting sick. Again. I was just sick, right before Christmas. And now I'm sick again. I'm at work. But I don't know how long I'll be here lol

Plus, I actually started back last week. For two whole days.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at January 5, 2009 10:14 AM

I hope you had good reason for moving that many books. :-)

Posted by: Kristy at January 5, 2009 10:25 AM

I hope you had good reason for moving that many books. :-)

Posted by: Kristy at January 5, 2009 10:26 AM

I had 11 days off myself, and man, it is not fun being back here this morning. I'm trying to ease myself into the day.

Posted by: bad penguin at January 5, 2009 10:49 AM

CANDYLAND! That has GOT to be my favorite game of all time. Seriously. I could play it as a 36 year old and still love every minute of it.

Can I arrange a play date?

Posted by: k8 at January 5, 2009 11:33 AM

Don't shoot me, but I am still on break until next Monday. I have been done since December 15th.

Migraines (1--but it started 12/23 and is still here)
Time spent with fmaily--a lot, but never enough
Christmas presents that had to be returned--0
Times I cooked dinner--5
Alcoholic drinks consumed--3 (2 shots of Jack Daniels and a Jack & Coke)
Progress on papers and exams--none

Posted by: Krush at January 5, 2009 12:12 PM

I didn't have as much time off as you did. But today is odd, because everyone is here at the office and it's been a long time since that was true.

Of course I have a mountain of work...and all I want to do is take a nap.

But I did end out the vacation by chasing peacocks with Daya yesterday at the zoo. One day I will catch one. The six year old in me will make sure of it. (I am such a role model for my kid)

Posted by: jessica at January 5, 2009 12:15 PM

Our girl got Candyland for xmas this year, so we, too, have played countless games. However, my husband has won a fair number of them. This either disproves the adult detector theory or proves that my husband is, in fact, *not* an adult.

Posted by: kate at January 5, 2009 12:44 PM

Glad you had a good vacation. Sounds like an awesome time. Ours was nearly the same with the exception of moving some relatives over the vacation as well. It was tough to get back to work this morning but it's also sort of nice to be back.

Posted by: Jen at January 5, 2009 3:37 PM

How did you get through 12 days off with only three trips to Target?

Posted by: GreenCanary at January 5, 2009 5:02 PM

awww, I think it's adorable how you would rather be home with your family than working.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at January 5, 2009 6:58 PM

My kids have been home for 18 days including weekends, and frankly, I'm quite ready for them to go back to school so I can get back into my routine.

Posted by: My Name is Cat at January 5, 2009 8:43 PM

I went back to work last Friday, and a lot of people were still off, so it was quiet, and I left at 2 pm. Today however -- different story. It was a hectic 11-hour day. I finally just left because the cleaning crew was annoying me. I could have stayed until midnight and still not have gotten caught up. :: sigh ::

Posted by: coolchick at January 5, 2009 9:22 PM

Bronchitis with head cold = 1
Sudafed and nebulizer puffs = 100's
Hours spent celebrating despite bronchitis and head cold = plenty :-)
Hangovers in the last 5 years = 0
Hangovers in 2009 = 1
Times I fell asleep on NYE hosts' couch, beside hosts' 5-year-old, between champagne toast and 1AM = 3
NYE kiss from fiance that made room of friends tease, "Get a room!" = 1 :-)
2009 babies expected among close friends and family so far = 3
Major changes expected for my life in 2009 = 3
Number of Charlie Brown trees dropping needles all over my dresser but still pleasuring myself and the cat with its lights = 1

Posted by: Karen at January 7, 2009 1:20 AM

I'll be having trouble come Monday when classes resume. But hey, 4 months from today I'll be graduating so can't complain too much!

Posted by: Dianna at January 9, 2009 8:08 PM