January 10, 2009

Death and Loss On A Saturday Morning

Yesterday afternoon, after closing on our refinance, we sneakily replaced Dorothy with a betta. We sneaked him into the house and, long after Mia had gone to bed, placed Dorothy 2.0 into Mia's room. She understood that Santa would be making a special return visit to replace Original Dorothy. This morning, Mia woke me up, crawled into bed and snuggled then we both went into her room to discover Dorothy 2.0 together.

And, of course, Dorothy 2.0 was gills-up. Fucker. Sushi anyone?

Posted by Chris at January 10, 2009 7:36 AM
Comments

Does it make me a horrible person that I giggled a little over reading this? I swear, it was the way you said it, not what you said. :)

Poor Dorothy. Both of them. And Santa isn't getting such a fair shake here either.

I hope Mia is taking things alright. Kids seem to be pretty resilient in times like these, but geesh.

Posted by: debra at January 10, 2009 8:12 AM

This is probably why I never really got into fish. Too dang delicate :P Maybe when the kids a just a little big bigger they can manage a slightly hardier animal like a cat or dog!
I too hope Mia's taking it alright!

Posted by: Heather at January 10, 2009 8:36 AM

Oh No Chris! But I too have to confess that made me giggle. What are the chances of it dying overnight. My friend buys fishes and they tend to die pretty fast too. I don't know I think you have to buy those big ugly ones for them to live. LOL

Posted by: Deirdre at January 10, 2009 9:05 AM

Oh Chris, you can't catch a break, eh? Congrats on the refinance---perhaps you should buy Mia a plant?

Posted by: Christy at January 10, 2009 9:15 AM

It's all about the water especially if you went from goldfish to betta. Goldfish are acidic and nasty fist. Easiest thing to do is get a tank with a pump and under gravel filter. Also a little botle of de-chlorinator.

Knot

Posted by: Knot at January 10, 2009 9:28 AM

Big hugs to Miss Mia. Hard when you learn the bad news...

Posted by: alektra at January 10, 2009 9:31 AM

Egads. How awful for all involved. :(

I gotta ask if you properly treated the water. You need to add the dechlorinating additives and then let the water sit for a couple days. Gotta keep checking the water periodically to make sure all is in balance.

Here's to a happy Dorothy 3.0!

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at January 10, 2009 10:04 AM

makes ya wonder whats in your water huh?
and just think...you're drinking it.

you might wanna tell santie you need a britta.

Posted by: kimmyk at January 10, 2009 10:10 AM

I gave up on the Siamese Fighting Fish deal when I realized that they just don't live long at all, and are VERY sensitive to change. You practically have to be a scientist to get 'em to live.

Posted by: coolcick at January 10, 2009 10:26 AM

Oh dear. I thought about the water too but sometimes fish just do that. You might think about a different supplier. Some are better than others.

Bummer of a way to start your weekend.

Posted by: Ann Adams at January 10, 2009 10:37 AM

Oh no! Poor beta.

Posted by: Jen R. (aaron-n-jen.com) at January 10, 2009 10:38 AM

LMAO! (sorry) This is precisely why I never had fish when my kids were little. Although we did have the unfortunate hamster-in-the-mousetrap incident...

Posted by: Hazel at January 10, 2009 11:08 AM

ohhhh that sucks. I think you have a bad fish monger on your hands. Incidentally.....how many points did you save on the refinance if you don't mind my asking. My mortgage broker just called me to offer a refi and I'm trying to determine how many points would make the refi worth it. I'm at 5.75 right now. He says he thinks it's going to hit 4.0.

Posted by: Kristy at January 10, 2009 11:14 AM

sounds like you've got a water situation. that sucks. maybe from now on, just take her to petco once a week to look at THEIR fish. all the fun without the dying part.

Posted by: kati at January 10, 2009 11:31 AM

Poor kid. Maybe you will have to try a different kind of pet...maybe a pet rock??!

Posted by: Adi at January 10, 2009 11:36 AM

oh my gosh! wth? that's just weird. maybe there's something in the water you're using?

Posted by: La Petite Belle at January 10, 2009 11:43 AM

Okay, now we have to figure out a pet for Mia that is hypoallergenic and won't die overnight. I know Beth is allergic to dogs, but what about a poodle? They're supposed to be allergy free.

Posted by: Maribeth at January 10, 2009 12:12 PM

Maybe you should consider a budgie or other small bird, they generally live a LOT longer than goldfish :)

Posted by: LaineyDid at January 10, 2009 12:34 PM

You have GOT to be kidding.

Poor Mia!

Posted by: ewe_are_here at January 10, 2009 1:40 PM

Ahhh... Mia's learning about the circle of life. (African choir and drums softly playing in the background)

Betta's are typically a hardy fish. Is the betta in a little bowl or a tank?

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at January 10, 2009 1:58 PM

Wow, does this bring back memories. I accidentally killed "Towel" while fish-sitting and replaced him before the family I nannied for returned from vacation with an identical beta. For years, the parents & I referred to the fish as Towel II when the kids were not around.

Posted by: jess at January 10, 2009 2:21 PM

Yea i had a beta at one point...thing ended up dying because of the temperature in the house...betas are just was too delicate

Posted by: Darren at January 10, 2009 2:23 PM

FYI, don't know if this has been mentioned or not but betas need air. My downfall was one of those vases with a hapless fish and a plant at the top... I filled the water up to the plant and poor Towel drowned.

Posted by: Jess at January 10, 2009 2:28 PM

NO WAY!!!! That is horrible!! How did she react?

Posted by: Nadine at January 10, 2009 3:14 PM

Dude, that sucks.
Seriously, the best fish to get are those little 10 cent feeder goldfish.
We have some that are I'd say 6 years old and close to 5 inches long at this point.
And I really don't take good care of them. Feed them when I remember. Change the filter when I remember.
They are just indestructable!

Posted by: Traci at January 10, 2009 3:41 PM

Oh, dear. My condolences. I hope she took it okay. Santa should have a stern word with his fish supplier. Or maybe you could get her mechanical fish (you know, like the ones Lister had on Red Dwarf? Wait, that was just a TV show...)

Now you're making me think twice about getting my son the fish he's been begging for.

Posted by: gabrielle at January 10, 2009 4:15 PM

Oops! What about a Japanese Fighting Fish? They are a bit hard to kill....at least Jake's was.

Posted by: Scatteredmom at January 10, 2009 4:44 PM

That's hilariously tragic. And right after I suggested such a hearty fish... So sad...

Posted by: Emily at January 10, 2009 5:10 PM

Over at my blog for Thursday's post I have a pic of my daughters' fish - they have two of 'em. Have had them since may, I think. Weird that both fish have gone to that big pond in the sky so soon.

Posted by: Sarah at January 10, 2009 6:15 PM

Chris, we had issues with our new fish and tank at first, we brought a sample of our water to the fish store and they tested it for free -- well sorta, they asked for a $1 donation for some 'save the pets' organization that I am drawing a blank on... anyway, we ended up having an issue with our tank water, they gave us a pill and the next day we filled the tank with all sorts of fish that are still alive today (almost 3 years later).

Might be worth a shot to bring in a babyfood jar of water. :) Good luck, perhaps a dorothy 3.0 will make it.

Posted by: Leanne at January 10, 2009 7:28 PM

Aw! Bad batch of Betta you just got yourself there sir. Those puckers survived me a long time in icky water, no less.

May I suggest changing the name to "Toto" as to not be a jinx?

Posted by: oakley at January 10, 2009 7:54 PM

I admit I cracked up because doesn't it just figure? But it is sad for Mia. Pet rocks are okay but what about a Chia Pet?

Posted by: Jane in Pa at January 10, 2009 10:15 PM

Dorothy 2.0 sounds like a Microsoft update. Back to the drawing board....

Posted by: Marshall at January 10, 2009 10:57 PM

OK I know this is awful but we couldn't stop laughing! I'm so sorry. Poor Mia and poor you!

Posted by: tulip at January 10, 2009 11:00 PM

Santa was confused. Santa thought he was supposed to replace Dorothy exactly as she was. Santa should try again.

I should tell you my dead fish stories sometime. They involve mutation. They're rather excellent.

Posted by: Mr Lady at January 11, 2009 12:20 AM

Life lessons . . . I got a betta last year for my office (I have no windows, therefore no plants, but I needed something living). I brought it home for the winter break and there he stayed because Zoe fell in love with him. A few months back, hubby found a dead fly in his bowl. After that, Ralph's scales started looking dull. Then, the water wouldn't stay clean. He died shortly after that and boy - was it a hard lesson. We ended up framing a picture we had of Ralph and hanging it in her room so she could "talk about him and remember him." Her words.

Oddly enough, despite her tender age, the event helped her understand when my grandfather died last month. But sounds like Santa is going to get a bad rep for faulty merchandise!

Posted by: kate at January 11, 2009 2:06 PM

OMG! That sucks and, like another commenter, I giggled. I think I giggled because I could picture you rolling your eyes and saying, "fuck!"

3.0 anyone?

Posted by: Stella at January 11, 2009 4:06 PM

These fish! They live a day or fifteen years.

My little sister got a feeder fish at my elementary school fair in something like 1983 (when she was in preschool) and that sucker practically lived to see her high school graduation.
I had a Beta that lived almost four years, through a twelve hour move to Maine on the floor behind my driver's seat when he was two. He died a few days after my stupid EX deliberately poured wine into his fish bowl. (one of the reasons I didn't marry that man!)

Posted by: Karen at January 11, 2009 6:02 PM

I kind of giggled a little at this like a few other people here. My parents have a fish at home and it has been alive for about 3 years. I have no idea how it is still alive because there have been a few times when I have come home from college and it was living in a very green dirty tank. Maybe it built up a tolerence and like can't die or something. Kind of odd.

Posted by: Zandor at January 11, 2009 9:07 PM

Dorothy 2.0 joines Fishie1, Fishie2, and Fishie3. SIP.

Err...you do know that you have to put the fish in same-temp water that he's already in that has been sitting for 24 hours so the chlorine evaporates? Temp shock and chlorine will kill them....

Will we be introduced to Dorothy 3.0?

Posted by: jessica at January 12, 2009 10:31 AM

Woe! that was a funny story though..what are the odds?

Posted by: Sue R at January 12, 2009 11:50 AM

wow.......just wow! Poor Mia must be traumatized!

Posted by: Kris at January 12, 2009 1:46 PM

I laughed as well, I'm sorry.
But let me tell you that I went through eight guinea pigs when I was a kid. EIGHT. Turns out my Dad made the cage for them using LEAD solder. Good times!

Posted by: jane at January 12, 2009 4:35 PM

I told Beth that we are total fish killers. I have ZERO advice. Other than Mia will have to accept pain and loss.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at January 13, 2009 8:25 PM

Don't have money to buy some real estate? Don't worry, because that's available to take the home loans to resolve such kind of problems. Thence take a secured loan to buy everything you require.

Posted by: FloresDeirdre32 at April 12, 2010 3:54 PM