January 16, 2009

The Weeklies #69

The Weekly Juvenile Comment About This Volume of The Weeklies. 69. Heh.

The Weekly Beverages. Japanese beer. Kirin Ichiban and Sapporo, specifically.

The Weekly Not-As-Shitty-As-They-Were-Last-Week-But-Infinitely-Stupider Company. Verizon, who finally managed to solve the random cable problem that kept us from seeing the first two nights of 24. Bastards. Of course, we discovered on Thursday they'd disconnected our phone. And won't be back out until Saturday to fix it.

The Weekly Weather. Fucking cold.

The Weekly Read. I slogged through J. Robert Lennon's Castle. At 225 pages, you wouldn't think it would be so painful. But it was. It's hard to sum up what I thought about this one. I wanted to like it but couldn't. The narrator (the story was told in the first person) was terribly unreliable and, well, kind of an asshole. The action (such as it was - this is the story of a guy who moves back to his home town, buys a plot of land then discovers there's a mysterious piece of said land right in the middle that he doesn't own) had a dream-like quality to it and, given the lack of the narrator's reliability, it was hard to tell what was real and what was the delusions of an off-kilter character. I knew there was a twist coming at the end - a twist that tied the action of the novel to current events - but by the time it got there, I really didn't care. I understand from reading reviews of Lennon's other books that he's a decent writer. Hell, I own two of his novels that I haven't yet read. Castle didn't make me want to crack them open anytime soon.

The Weekly Time Waster. Create your own superhero! Here's Cactusman.

The Weekly Tragic TV Deaths. Ricardo Montalban and Patrick McGoohan. Goodbye Mr. Rourke. Goodbye Number 6.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Financial manager Marcus Schrenker took off in a small plane from Indiana, put his plane on auto-pilot, radioed a mayday and parachuted to safety. After touching down (his plane crashed in Alabama), he made his way to a storage facility where he had a storage unit rented in an assumed name. From that unit, he retrieved a motorcycle he'd stashed. He then made his way to a camp ground where police eventually found him with deep cuts on each wrist. Shrenker is accused of defrauding clients. And watching too many movies.

The Weekly Dorothy Update. Thank you for your condolences on both Dorothy 1.0 and 2.0. You'll be happy to know that Dorothy 3.0 has been in-residence since last Saturday and is doing swimmingly (ha!). Keep your fingers crossed.

The Weekly Good News and Heroes. As you well know if you've turned on a TV in the last 12 hours, yesterday afternoon a plane was safely ditched in the Hudson River after hitting a couple of geese. Amazingly, no one was killed or seriously injured. The pilot, crew and folks who came to the rescue deserve a massive round of applause.

Posted by Chris at January 16, 2009 6:17 AM
Comments

Juvenile Comment: I'm apparently 12 since I find this funny.
But-Infinitely-Stupider Company: MTA. Why bother with a schedule if you are never going to follow it? It is particularly important because see below.
Weather: I disagree. It is FUCKING COLD.
Dorothy Update: Fingers crossed.
Heroes: Capt. Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III, nice landing.

Posted by: Maria at January 16, 2009 6:44 AM

P.S. Have a nice weekend.

Posted by: Maria at January 16, 2009 6:46 AM

That guy who tried to fake his own death is a douche. He's lucky that his plane didn't hit a bunch of houses that were in the area and the plane missed by like 50 yards.

It is FREEZING OUT!

And the plane landing was phenomenal...that Pilot is amazing!

Posted by: Deirdre at January 16, 2009 9:25 AM

Forget about the cold (why do you people insist on living in such conditions anyway - move to SoCal, it's in the 80's this week!) Anway, I believe I found your dream job - how does $100,000 U.S. for lounging on a beach in Austrailia while blogging about it sound?
put in your notice and start packing...

click here: http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx?cp-documentid=836458>1=41000

Posted by: LaineyDid at January 16, 2009 9:36 AM

It amazes me that Schrenker thought he could get away with it. You're right, he's seen too many movies.

The plane crash/landing? Amazing.

I don't know how cold your "fucking cold" is...but do I have you beat? -12 degrees today here in Michigan. Luckily it warmed up before I had to leave for work. It was only -8 by then.

Posted by: js at January 16, 2009 9:38 AM

Actually that plane wreck dude was here in Florida, in a shitty little town called Milton, about two hours from me.

And yeah, it's cold here too.

Posted by: Claire at January 16, 2009 9:38 AM

That story about the plane in the Hudson River is amazing, especially after seeing the path the plane took on a map.

Me as a superhero(ine): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fraulein_n/3109199792/

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 16, 2009 9:47 AM

Yum, Sapporo! We had sushi this week and I wishing I had some of that to go along with it.

Posted by: La Petite Chic at January 16, 2009 9:55 AM

When Hubby was in training on the 757 in Atlanta I went down to see him. He brought me in the simulator and we took a flight down the Hudson River. It's amazing how well they train these pilots!
They have to know how to land on water, sand, of course a tarmac, but they work them through all sorts of disasters.
Hubby did have a bird strike twice. Once in a 747 but only lost 1 engine and the other was a 737 and that bird went through the wing! All went well.
Yes, my guy is a super pilot!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 16, 2009 9:58 AM

That pilot deserves more than just a smattering of applause. The more I hear about him & what he did, the more I think he deserves like...a cabinet position or something. The story is amazing.

Posted by: Kalisa at January 16, 2009 10:05 AM

Talk about cold, it's -27 (celcius) here in Montreal! Brrr...
Amazing job from the pilot and crew!
Keep warm

Posted by: stephanie at January 16, 2009 10:09 AM

I don't understand about the deep cuts on his wrist. And after the hours I spent on last weeks time waster, I know I'm screwed this week.

Posted by: k8 at January 16, 2009 10:10 AM

69 Heh. embrace your inner 13 year old.

Schadenfreude... I would give a lot to ask that guy exactly what he was thinking when he made the decision to go through with this plan.

That pilot story is amazing.

Posted by: Jen at January 16, 2009 10:13 AM

That create your own superhero link? so much fun. I might never get anything productive done again!

Posted by: suze at January 16, 2009 10:15 AM

Cactusman totally needs spikes or thorns or something!

Happy weekend!

Posted by: Pocklock at January 16, 2009 10:40 AM

That create your own superhero thing is fun!

It is ridiculously cold.

Long live Dorothy 3.0!

and yes, round of applause for the pilot, crew and rescuers.

Posted by: bad penguin at January 16, 2009 12:58 PM

Nice abs, Cactusman. I wasn't aware you could get those kinds of abs from doughnuts and beer but right on - that would make you a lot more money than Potomac boat ferries!

Posted by: That Girl at January 16, 2009 1:00 PM

we lost a fish around our parts this week too. only my nanny flushed it without telling us!

Posted by: ali at January 16, 2009 1:20 PM

Don't worry about missing the few few hours of 24. It's all like a big rerun after a while. If you have watched before you will be fine.

Posted by: jodiur at January 16, 2009 6:17 PM

Heh, yeah, come to SoCal. It's been nice and warm all week. Nights have been chilly, but not freezing cold.

Nice that Verizon is so patient in getting your phone back on. Heaven forbid you may actually need to use it for something!

Right now my Grandmother is arguing with AT&T trying to get her cell phone shut off- she's had it for close to 20 years (yeah, she had one of those huge 6 pounders back in the day) and since she doesn't remember the PIN they gave her when she set it up, they don't want to turn it off.

Posted by: Debra at January 16, 2009 6:29 PM

Odd that I was only a few blocks away from the Hudson where the plane touched down gracefully and I only knew about it because someone from the outside world called one of the guys at work about it.

And, that Schadenfreude is soooooooooo lame. Dum-buh hooman.

Posted by: Poppy at January 16, 2009 7:34 PM

I giggled at the 69 too. I swear I am never gonna grow up.
Dorthy 2.0 is dead. Long live Dorothy 3.0!

Posted by: Heather at January 16, 2009 7:39 PM

Good luck with Dorothy 3.0.

That plane landing is amazing. What a lucky group of people.

Posted by: Adi at January 17, 2009 12:14 AM

CactusMan is great and all, I mean, like, he's ok, but sometimes he's just a prick to be around.

Posted by: whall at January 17, 2009 2:04 AM

I'm really banking on the plane crashing and everyone living as a sign that things are turning around. I just passed the patent bar yesterday, too. WOOO!

69 forever, man. I don't want to be a complete adult. ;)

Posted by: alektra at January 17, 2009 8:37 AM

I'm sooo loving the superhero time wasting thing. It doesn't beat Factory Balls, but it's fun.

Yay for the US Airways pilot! When I fly it's generally US Air, so I like knowing they are well trained!

Posted by: coolchick at January 17, 2009 12:17 PM

All people deserve good life time and credit loans or just collateral loan would make it much better. Because freedom bases on money state.

Posted by: POWERSIrma33 at March 2, 2010 12:44 PM

I propose not to hold off until you earn enough money to order different goods! You should take the loan or consolidation loans and feel comfortable

Posted by: credit loans at June 29, 2011 1:59 AM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 5:13 AM