February 9, 2009

A Tale of Two Celebrations

The weekend...what to say about the weekend. First, it was absolutely beautiful. Now, I'm sure it was just some kind of seasonal cock-tease. Tomorrow it'll probably be three degrees and snowing. But it was nice while it lasted. To illustrate, here's my backyard, first thing Sunday morning as the sun rose in the east and began to shine on the trees to the west.

I am loathe to put an adjective to how I think this week is going to go. I don't think it's going to be a lot of fun. That really couldn't slow me down this weekend though. We had celebrating to do.

On Friday night, Beth and I took my parents out for dinner for their anniversary. They've been married, get this, 45 years. In this day and age that's pretty incredible. We hit a hip local Italian place, ate way too much pasta and had a wonderful time. I can only wish Beth and I as much success.

Tomorrow is Owen's birthday. We celebrated it this weekend - yesterday, in fact, which is why I feel as though I was kicked in the head by a pony at a midget rodeo - with a family-only party. And despite the fact that the guest list was pretty small, those kids parties will take a lot out of you. Backing up a bit, Mia, Owen and I hit Target on Saturday morning. Mia had money burning a hole in her pocket. Or, rather, a Target gift card. While out with Beth on Friday, she spied an Aurora so we headed back to spend some of that money on good old Sleeping Beauty. And for the difference on the card, she managed to score a Tinker Bell teapot-house thingy. Then we returned home whilst Beth finished making a few dishes of enchiladas for the party. Beth and Mia had a date making cupcakes for the celebration. Then the four of us went for a wonderfully long walk. I wore a t-shirt. It rocked. On Saturday night, we managed to get the kids to bed at a reasonable hour after which we cleaned and hung decorations. More of the same can be said for Sunday morning.

The party was fun, the company was great and I'm pretty sure Owen had a great time despite the fact that he didn't get to unwrap any of his own toys nor was he allowed to play with them once they had been liberated from their wrapping. Both of those jobs went to Mia. But he seemed pretty thrilled with the attention, loved the toys once he finally got a chance to play with them, and, well, I let him watch cartoons so that was pretty cool too.

I'm sure I'll have adequate opportunity to reflect on Owen's birthday this week. Right now, I just need a lot of coffee. And, perhaps, a nap.

What were you guys up to this weekend?

Posted by Chris at February 9, 2009 6:37 AM
Comments

Happy B-day Owen!

And my parents have been married over 40 years, I know what you mean. In fact, we are going away to celebrate my mom's 60th b-day this week. In fact, they just announced our next big trip will be for their 50th wedding anniversary, I can't even imagine.

Speaking of trips, we are going to Disney, and I promised Ms. Mia last time I saw her something Aurora, so I'll be bringing her home a present.

Posted by: jodifur at February 9, 2009 7:48 AM

What a beautiful family you have, Chris. And Owen? He's 1? (time flies and all that) I just love his hair, all party in the back and stuff!

Posted by: Christy at February 9, 2009 8:04 AM

Happy birthday, Owen! These photos are great. You and Beth have fabulous smiles.

45 years! That is amazing.

I worked all weekend. Today will be eighth consecutive day working and I'm dragging. I'm grateful for the warmer temps. It made going out to shoot photos for our annual report more pleasant than the cold temps.

Posted by: Maria at February 9, 2009 8:08 AM

Sounds like a great weekend. And that hair on your son is adorable! He'd make anyone smile. Happy Birthday One-Year-Old! Hiep Hiep Hoera!!!

Posted by: Tera at February 9, 2009 8:09 AM

Happy Anniversary to the parents, and happy birthday to the Owen!!

We spent all weekend moving. It was BEAUTIFUL. I was able to wear capris and a tee-shirt all day yesterday, it was great. and we had all the windows open. Ahhh, why can't it stay?!

Posted by: secha at February 9, 2009 8:09 AM

My great grand parents, the last of which just passed at the age of 98, were married for 70 years. SEVENTY. Can you even imagine?

Posted by: Shelly at February 9, 2009 8:12 AM

Happy anniversary to your parents and OMG, he's ONE ALREADY!?!? Wow.

I spent an amazing weekend with hundreds of other bloggers in Nashville. It was amazing, interesting, and most of all, so super fun. As you know, I'm kind of an introvert, but met so many friendly and wonderful people. It was also nice to "run away" from normal life for a bit. Definitely what I needed to recharge my batteries.

Posted by: sarah at February 9, 2009 8:13 AM

Happy birthday Owen! Sounds like you had a FAB birthday weekend. And Chris, that kid has such a smart expression on his face!

Posted by: Nadine at February 9, 2009 8:22 AM

I wish my weekend was as fun. I went to a new workout class on friday night and it kicked my ass. Saturday we had boxing basics adn it was good but then I had a headache the rest of the weekend I could NOT get rid of, I felt sick to my stomach, my migraine meds wouldn't work, I took advil, I took everything I could think of, it momentarily went away on saturday night when I took alka seltzer cold but it came back with a vengeance on sunday and it was tweaking a bit this morning as well. *sigh* I had to cancel going to my friends 30th birthday party due to feeling like ass.

Posted by: Dee at February 9, 2009 8:27 AM

Let's see, I vacuumed because my white German Shepherd is shedding like crazy! Talk about giant cotton balls!
I also spent time with a friend and her three young kids. Her youngest is Owen's age. Man can that kid run around! And her daughter is Mia's age and climbs and jumps off of everything! And she talks a mile a minute! How cool!!! Her teenage son is into video games and girls.
It was a fun morning!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 9, 2009 8:58 AM

We watched two movies. I slept through most of the second one. Brazil, some science fiction cult movie that I found beyond stupid from I think the 1980s. The hubby and I went on two gorgeous, long walks on Saturday and Sunday. It has been brisk and we were expecting snow that never came. I'm ready to go back to spring like days as it makes for more enjoyable walks.

Great photo of your back yard. Lovely pictures of the family.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 9, 2009 9:12 AM

This weekend was OH-so-exciting. The weather in DFW was very cloudy and windy. Saturday, I alternated between "cleaning" and watching tv or reading my book (there was more book reading than cleaning). Bonus, I didnt get out of my pjs all day. :o) Sunday, got up and got ready for church. Had lunch with a friend. Braved Wal-Mart, came home and realized forgot the one thing i went to wal-mart for...grrrrrrr (means another trip to wally world). Fixed dinner, attempted to watch the grammys (was it me or were they boring) and then headed to bed.

Posted by: Elizabeth at February 9, 2009 9:13 AM

Happy Birthday to Owen! I honestly can't believe he's having a birthday already.

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 9, 2009 9:24 AM

What a fabulous weekend! Love the candids! We score new La-z-Boy recliners to be delivered this weekend and finally got the illusive Wii! Other than that, just lots of comfort time, just the two of us!

Posted by: Michelle at February 9, 2009 9:36 AM

Owen is One! He is such a beautiful kid. It seems impossible that he's so grown and yet what was the Cactus-Fish universe without The Owen? I love his hair, especially!

Posted by: Sam at February 9, 2009 9:50 AM

Happy Birthday Owen!

This weekend my husband and his coworker tore out one of our exterior doors (In South Dakota! In February!) and closed it in. Then they framed and sheetrocked what will VERY SOON be my new pantry. I spent 2 days keeping two small boys from "helping." I'm not sure who had the harder job.

Posted by: Lisa at February 9, 2009 10:08 AM

we totally had the weather cock-tease too. a weekend with temperatures above freezing! amazing! i'm convinced, however, that it was a cruel tease of nature to melt the snow and create a fresh palate for the snow to come. i hate winter. boo.

happy birthday to sir owen! can't believe he's one!

Posted by: ali at February 9, 2009 10:25 AM

Owen's hair is awe inspiring! I mean, Mia kinda shed her mohawk by she's one, didn't she?

Happy Birthday, Owen!

Posted by: oakley at February 9, 2009 11:22 AM

Happy Birthday to the one-year-old Owenmeister! Unbelievable for sure.

We went to the Hot Air Affair evening event where I positioned the hubs in front of the fired-up balloon baskets so I could take photos of him with his hair "on fire". Good times.

Posted by: Keri at February 9, 2009 11:23 AM

Hee hee - that last pic with Owen's awesome hair is adorable!

Happy 1st birthday, Owen!

I hung out with my sister, ate a huge burrito, drank too much wine, went x-country skiing by myself - not in that order.

Posted by: carrster at February 9, 2009 11:38 AM

awwww cute pictures! Happy Birthday to Owen!

Posted by: La Petite Belle at February 9, 2009 11:56 AM

Mia is simply teaching Owen the law's of life. The woman in his life will buy the gifts, wrap the gifts, etc. He's learning early and that's a good thing. Nice job Mia.

I love his standy uppy hair. Love it.

Also love that you haven't covered the windows letting in all that natural light...I love open windows and have only managed to score one....my husband didn't have an older sister to teach him who's in charge so I'm having to do it late in life. ie he thinks windows need to all be covered....

Posted by: Kristy at February 9, 2009 12:02 PM

I can't get over his hair. I'd play with it all day long. Glad you had a great party!

I was caring for a sick boy with croup. Good times, good times. No ER trip this time though so we were ahead of the game!

Posted by: samantha jo campen at February 9, 2009 12:25 PM

Happy Birthday Owen! You don't look a day over one ; ) We spent Saturday and Sunday taking gorgeous Northern VA walks around our neighborhood without coats -- it rocked! Frog princess got some serious two-wheeler-bike-practice time and Mini-Saurus (two on the 21st) did a lot of digging and searching for Wormies.

Posted by: MaryLea at Pink and Green Mama at February 9, 2009 12:36 PM

Holy carp, is Owen really one, already?! It seems like just yesterday that you were blogging about how Beth was pregnant again.

We had a low-key weekend, it was fantastic.

Posted by: hope at February 9, 2009 12:49 PM

did you say T-shirt? you wore a T-shirt outside? If I did that up here right now the little men with white jackets would come for me pronto. Actually, I could use a little break so maybe I'll invite the men with white jackets... speed up the nap process! lol...

LOVE Owen's hair. Awesome.

Posted by: Holly at February 9, 2009 12:56 PM

Ooh that first picture is gorgeous! I am also ├╝ber jealous of the tshirt walk, and I love Owen's spiky little hair. So cute.

Posted by: Heather at February 9, 2009 1:40 PM

Wow! 45 years is amazing! Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

I cannot believe Owen is a year already! And...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Billy Idol hair do he sports. All he needs to get down is the lip snarl.

Posted by: zanie at February 9, 2009 1:46 PM

Happy First Birthday Owen!

Kid birthday parties knock the life out of me...and you have to do it twice a year! Yikes!

My week is very uncoordinated so far. And Daya starts preschool in March and I have just realized I have a bi-monthly 8am meeting and I have to bring her to school at 8am.

Um...quandry. Shit. Keeping her home during the meeting is not an option, as she is in the habit of needing something/wanting attention every thirty ^%#*(ing seconds.

Posted by: jessica at February 9, 2009 1:53 PM

Aw, Happy Birthday Owen! And may I say what a fabulous hairstyle that is!

Posted by: Loth at February 9, 2009 2:37 PM

I wasn't at a kid party, but I sure felt like I was.

Posted by: k8 at February 9, 2009 2:53 PM

Congrats to both the 'rents and Owen. What a cutie that kid is.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at February 9, 2009 3:09 PM

p.s. my nightstand laughs at yours.

Posted by: Kristy at February 9, 2009 3:20 PM

p.s. my nightstand laughs at yours.

Posted by: Kristy at February 9, 2009 3:20 PM

First things first...Happy Birthday Owen and congrats to you and Beth making it through the first year of his life! Fancy you won't ever have that again? Well done and all that.

We had a family wedding on the weekend - my father in law was remarried. It was such a good weekend - plenty of snaps on the blog. Talk about perfect weather...it was sublime.

Hope the week is ok for you...

Posted by: Beth at February 9, 2009 3:40 PM

Aww... Owen is my birthday buddy! Happy B-Day, Owen!

Posted by: erin at February 9, 2009 3:42 PM

Aww... Owen is my birthday buddy! Happy B-Day, Owen!

Posted by: erin at February 9, 2009 3:43 PM

Bronchitis and work. Eh, you win some, you cough through others ;-)
But it sounds like your family had a beautiful, snuggle-awesome time! Yea!! :-)
I hear from my friend Mike that's he's going to spend the afternoon taking his 2 year old daughter to the park, and I read family-time stories like yours here, and it sounds like an unbeatably cozy, happy way to spend time.

Posted by: Karen at February 9, 2009 6:50 PM

Owen's hair reminds me of those - oh, whatchacall its - they're like big lightbulbs w/ electricity streams coming off of them, and you touch the "bulb" and the electricity colors go to your fingers. Know what I'm talking about? Just makes you want to wave your fingers over his head. :o)

Man, my weekend was DRAINING! Rolled my car on Thursday evening. Spent the weekend recovering and trying to figure out how I'm going to pay the hospital bills I haven't yet received and still afford a car that has a motor rather than the Fred Flinstone style vehicles. See Facebook for pictures. (I had to do something while I was in the ER. Why not upload photos?)

Posted by: Emily at February 9, 2009 7:15 PM

Gorgeous shot of your yard. I can't believe Owen is almost one. The weekend was full of paper writing! About as fun as your week sounds.

Posted by: Dianna at February 9, 2009 7:23 PM

You know I don't think I've ever seen pictures of Beth before- she's awful pretty! No wonder you've got such cute kids! :P

Happy Birthday Owen!

My weekend was spent trying to delete files I don't actually need off of my hosting, and fix up some old blog posts' images. Ugh. Then, right as I was making headway, I accidentally deleted an entire directory I did not have backed up off of the server. So much for being careful... lol.

Posted by: Debra at February 9, 2009 9:32 PM

Happy Birthday Owen!!! It's hard to believe he's already turning one!

My weekend was WAY more relaxed than yours. I took Friday off and just did nothing all weekend, and it was just what I needed.

Posted by: coolchick at February 9, 2009 10:19 PM

Happy Birthday Owen. We went to another 1 year old birthday party - right next door. I was reminded how much I love the taste of beer.

Preparing for a trip to the warmth of sunny South Florida.

Posted by: DC Urban Dad at February 9, 2009 10:39 PM

God, Owen's hair is awesome. Where did that come from??

All I did this weekend was hang out with the boyfriend. It's special, though, because he lives 2 hours away and weekends are the only time we get to see each other. So it's good!

Posted by: Stephanie at February 9, 2009 10:46 PM