February 24, 2009

Long Long Night

It's been a long 36 hours. Long. And? Long.

On Monday morning, Owen woke up sick. First clue? He didn't want to eat. And that boy loves him some food. Second clue? The horrific smell coming out of his cute white butt. Seriously, good thing he's cute because he sure was stinky. His poop, in fact, staged a breakout and let slip the surly bonds of diaper. I wasn't there but Beth admitted to me that she didn't for a second stop to consider washing the clothes he was wearing. They went straight into the trash. Then, for the hat trick, he threw up.

We waited for the other shoe to drop. And it did. Or, rather a whole shoe store metaphorically dumped itself on us. I'm not talking about a bag full of Manolo Blahniks either. More like cheap sweaty old Crocs.

Because, sometime around 10:00 last night, Beth became insanely ill.

The intervening hours were long. I'm sure they were longer for Beth than they were for me. For my part, I was trapped under a sick infant who was tolerating my presence only because he was, after all, sick. He woke up at 5:00 and molested my chest before realizing that the breasts I had were not at all functional nor were as bountiful as his mom's. Beth - looking much fresher than the night before - retrieved him. And the day began.

It's tough balancing a rigorous work schedule with playing Florence Nightingale. The solution? Fuck work.

And wouldn't you know it? We're dealing with a three-footed deity because, an hour or so ago, a third shoe dropped. Mia has now joined the ranks of the sick. I am outnumbered three to one. And I'm scared.

After she got done throwing up, Mia was remarkably good-natured about the whole thing. And wise. It's going to be a long, long night she said. I'm sure she's right. Wish us luck. Oh, yeah, and send good no-sick vibes my way. I'd like to keep us from going four for four.

By the way, if you want some actual new content from me tomorrow - because who the hell knows what's going to happen tonight - stop by Where's My Damn Answer?. I'm guest posting over there tomorrow. It's about trying new foods, ironically the exact opposite of this post.

Posted by Chris at February 24, 2009 8:08 PM
Comments

Dude, I'm so sorry. Three outta five of us have had that, and it's not fun. At least it seems to pass pretty quickly, although that causes some of it's own problems, like diaper blow-outs.

Posted by: Becky at February 24, 2009 10:05 PM

Eek. Sending lots of luck and no-sick vibes. And yes, screw work.

Posted by: Dianna at February 24, 2009 10:44 PM

i'm pretty sure you're not going to get sick.

but i hope everyone feels better soon! that is NO fun...

Posted by: kati at February 24, 2009 10:59 PM

Sending good vibes your way! My BF managed to avoid getting sick the last time the whole family got the Noro virus (yes, I've had it twice and no, I don't think that's at all fair). Basically, he sprayed everything that I came in contact with bleach. I don't think that the cats appreciated it very much, but he never did get sick. Normally I think that anti-bacterial products are the devil, but in this type of situation, it might not be a bad idea to wipe everything down. The BF tells me that he paid particular attention to our doorknobs. Also, purell is probably your friend.

Posted by: Hope at February 24, 2009 11:24 PM

Hey, I just started following your blog. (thank you stumbleupon for finding the only blog that has ever made me visit twice)
Sorry to see you had such a rough night. I've definitely been there with the "can't even consider washing this" moments. Mia reminds me a lot of my 4yo son, Ethan. Last time he got pukey sick he was so good natured that his new puke bucket (couldn't find the old one so went and bought one just for the occasion) became his prized possession for the next month. When his older brother got sick he would hang around waiting for opportunities to lend him his bucket.

Anyways, thanks for the entertaining blog. Hope you manage to fend this bug off without getting sick too.

Posted by: MissFae at February 24, 2009 11:34 PM

Good luck tonight. But, someday, you will look back on these days with fondness. Yeah, I know, vomit is hard to be fond of. But every moment I spend with my girls is precious, regardless of whatever they may be going through, I am there for them.

Posted by: Jeff A at February 24, 2009 11:39 PM

So sorry to hear the family is sick. I have been sick for 8 days now and it is no fun. I am sending the strongest well thoughts i can your way!

Posted by: erin at February 25, 2009 12:02 AM

Man, I'm sorry that was nasty stuff.

Our family has been fighting colds for over a week. I nearly lost my voice last Tuesday and didn't sound human until Sunday. I just felt like I got ran over and slept most of every afternoon. Mild compared to what the Cactus family is enduring.

Hopefully, it will miss you. Someone has to tend to everyone else while they are on the mend.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 25, 2009 12:10 AM

Oh no! I hope everyone gets to feeling better ASAP!

Posted by: Heather at February 25, 2009 12:14 AM

Sending healthy, repel germs vibes your way.

I hope Owen, Beth, and Mia are feeling better.

Posted by: Maria at February 25, 2009 6:15 AM

Ugh, sorry everybody is so sick. Good luck to you, but it's been my experience that sleeping with a sick infant breathing on you all night is not a good way to avoid picking up whatever they've got.

Posted by: Dreamybee at February 25, 2009 6:36 AM

Yikes...break out the Lysol and open some windows get that nasty virus out of your house!!!

Posted by: Dee at February 25, 2009 6:57 AM

Much luck to you and the family. Hope it passes quickly.

Posted by: sunshine at February 25, 2009 8:22 AM

Are you wearing your Hazmat suit? I hope the toxic vapors leave you all in peace very soon!

Posted by: Shelly at February 25, 2009 9:12 AM

Oh my goodness--this hits home! We, too, were struck by the flu (or whatever you want to call it since the kids had flu shots which were supposedly really "effective" this year, whatever that moronic rumor means)... and my (one week shy of) 3-year old ALSO had some flu wisdom for me. I was holding her poor limp body close to mine as she burned up at 104-105 degrees, and she, without warning, vomited straight into my scoopneck t-shirt, and then all.over.me. And she sobbed uncontrollably, and I gasped for air, rubbing her back, murmuring, "oh, poor baby, it's okay, baby, okay, um... boy, that just snuck right up on you, didn't it?" And she sobbed, "Noooooooo, [gasp, sob] it snuck up [gasp, sob] on YOOOOOUUUUUUUU!"

Ah, yes it did, my love, yes it did.

Posted by: Sabrina at February 25, 2009 9:31 AM

This makes me wonder if the food poisoning I had last week was actually whatever it is YOUR family has. I really thought I might die. Then I got a cold on top of it. AWESOME.

I hope you stay well and that the others recover quickly!!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 25, 2009 9:42 AM

oh, yuck. I hope the whole family makes a speedy recovery!

Posted by: bad penguin at February 25, 2009 9:42 AM

*sends lots of hugs and feel better vibes* Sorry you're all sick. =(

Posted by: secha at February 25, 2009 9:42 AM

I feel your pain...both my kids had this allll last week. You just gotta do your best to get through it. I am hoping yours resolves faster than ours did. Bring on the saltines!

Posted by: Jane in PA at February 25, 2009 9:55 AM

Ah, now that IS ironic.

I hope you don't get sick. And I hope everyone else stops being sick.

Maybe your home should be in quarantine, just in case. It's a very valid reason to not go to work.

If you tell everyone in the office even a tiny bit of what you wrote here, they will beg you to stay home.

Posted by: jessica at February 25, 2009 10:48 AM

oh nooooo ... you guys are under quarantine. I hope you don't get it too. :: crossing fingers ::

GREAT post this morning.

Posted by: Kristy - Where's My Damn Answer at February 25, 2009 11:01 AM

Got ya covered...in my house this week, ONLY the hubby has been sick. Not me, not our son. So really, in the cosmic scheme of things, one sick daddy is enough and you can have a get out of puke free card. I am, however, scrubbing down my keyboard after reading your post, just in case.

Posted by: rebecca at February 25, 2009 11:36 AM

Thank goodness I found you at WMDA. Like I really needing someone new to blog stalk.

Posted by: shonda at February 25, 2009 12:09 PM

That does not sound fun at all! :(

I hope they all feel better soon, and that you escape the wrath of illness.

Posted by: Katie at February 25, 2009 12:14 PM

That totally sucks. Here is hoping you manage to stay healthy and that everyone else gets well.

And Mia . . . what a little sage . . .

Posted by: Mindy at February 25, 2009 1:21 PM

I have it to. I hope to high hell you don't get it. Because it sucks.

Posted by: k8 at February 25, 2009 1:51 PM

Oh man, nothings worse than thinking your next.

Posted by: kami at February 25, 2009 2:52 PM

Oh God I hope you're all okay now!!!

Posted by: samantha jo campen at February 25, 2009 2:57 PM

Yikes, sorry to hear it. We've been almost 100% lucky at not having both parents equally sick at the same time, if there's a blessing it's that you're not as sick as they are at the same time as they are...

Posted by: rpm at February 25, 2009 3:16 PM

Sheesh, sorry to hear it. I'm sending good health vibes your way.

Posted by: jess at February 25, 2009 4:23 PM

Sheesh, sorry to hear it. I'm sending good health vibes your way.

Posted by: jess at February 25, 2009 4:23 PM

Sheesh, sorry to hear it. I'm sending good health vibes your way.

Posted by: jess at February 25, 2009 4:23 PM