February 16, 2009

Friends And Windows And Stress...Oh My!

This weekend I managed to finally come to terms with an interesting paradox. If you rest and relax and do nothing, while you feel more rested come Monday, it doesn't feel like you accomplished much. But if you're busy - if, say, you have some construction done on your home, you work, and you have friends over - and manage to cram a lot into a weekend, while you don't particularly feel very well-rested on Monday morning, you sure had a lot of fun.

On Friday, our new windows were installed. When I returned home in the middle of the day to work, I was greeted by Beth, Owen and Mia hiding out in the basement. It made it a little difficult to concentrate on work but I understood the fight or flight mentality when faced with home renovation. So, it was pretty cozy in the basement. Luckily, the team of guys took only about seven hours to finish the job. We're the proud owners of band-spankin'-new windows. And they're gorgeous.

This weekend was played host to some friends and bloggers. And by that, I mean friends who also happen to be bloggers not some people who are friends then some other people we don't particularly like who maintain blogs. On Saturday night, Sarah brought the extended Goon Squad over to play. And for dinner. And see, this is one reason Sarah and her family are awesome - they seemed to think it was perfectly acceptable that we decided not to cook for them but, instead, to order takeout Indian. That's friendship. On Sunday morning, Erin brought Clementine and Oscar over. We had a nice lunch and we did some hardcore playing. Mia was especially happy about seeing Clementine. Last week she heard a song about a different Clementine on the radio. She was particularly concerned about the you are lost and gone forever line. And while Beth assured her that the song's subject was indeed a different Clementine, she was only finally convinced beyond a reasonable doubt on Sunday.

This weekend also brought some work. See, back before Christmas I talked about a project - a certified Big Work Thing - that was supposed to happen but didn't. Said Big Work Thing finally hit last week. And I'm in charge of part of it. Sure, it's only for the next month but by the end of that time I might be insane. Wish me luck.

Anyway, that's the weekend - friends, windows and work. What did you guys do? And do you have any tricks for making it through a solid month of stress?

Posted by Chris at February 16, 2009 6:37 AM
Comments

My husband is a CPA so the next two months are stress filled. Nothing seems to work, but he sure bitches a lot so it much do something ; ) In all seriousness - I'd say keep at least one thing on your calendar each week to look forward to as a break from the stress and as a incentive to push forward despite being stressed.

My weekend was alright - Valentines day isn't my thing, but yesterday we had tickets for the RedWings/Avalanche game and that was so fun (even though the RedWings lost.

Posted by: Sarah at February 16, 2009 7:08 AM

Uhm, intravenous drug use?

As you can see, I've got nothing.

Good luck, though.

Posted by: Caleal at February 16, 2009 8:28 AM

Donna of SpuddyBuddy fame, her husband and their adorable tater tot came to visit for the weekend. We also had take out Indian food! You know you've got good friends when....

Posted by: sarah at February 16, 2009 9:10 AM

Rainy here over Sunday and today so I'm vegetating.

My son and his partner (spouse?) came down from Fresno on Saturday. We were going to have Indian food just like you but the place was closed so settled for Chinese buffet. Fun and good to see both of them.

Now I'm listening to the wind blow against the house and making instant coffee since my coffee pot blew up last night. Or I may make campfire coffee on the stove. I think I can still remember how.

Posted by: Ann Adams at February 16, 2009 9:19 AM

I often wake up on Monday feeling like I need a weekend from my weekend. But fun is always had.

Posted by: tutugirl1345 at February 16, 2009 9:46 AM

I watched movies and TV shows. Movies: Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na (very good), Namastey London (not as good), Gospel Hill (incredibly good), Secret Life of Bees (incredibly good). TV: United States of Tara (good, of course), Little Mosque on the Prairie (also very good, of course), and Life (so good, and am now 2 episodes from being caught up).

Getting through stress: Beer, whatever time you can scrape together doing something that re-energizes you (or being with people who re-energize you).

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 16, 2009 10:07 AM

I did absolutely nothing this weekend and I'm not sorry. Last week was hellish (STRESSFUL hellish) and long (78 hours long).

For the stress, I recommend time reserved for relaxation, comfort food, and beer. Not necessarily in that order.

Hang in there, Chris!

Posted by: Maria at February 16, 2009 10:23 AM

I hung out with family and did homework. Crazy exciting ;-) And I recommend fresh air and "me" time (or "you" time as the case may be :P) - usually accomplished by going for a walk. (Some people run? These people, they are crazy.) Some days you could take Mia with you, and she could provide a distraction for all the thoughts swirling in your brain!

Posted by: Heather at February 16, 2009 10:33 AM

do you have any tricks for making it through a solid month of stress?

One word dude: BEER!

Posted by: Jeff A at February 16, 2009 10:49 AM

Went museum-ing in Monkeytown. I decided to be cheap and not get a hotel room, bad idea, it was a long ride home. So next month, before full blown art show crazyness starts, we'll be back down for more museum goodness. And more beer at the Post Pub.

Posted by: Ames at February 16, 2009 11:11 AM

I have no help for the stress thing. I pace around the house at all hours and eat bad things and drink too much.

Posted by: Ames at February 16, 2009 11:12 AM

Saturday I didn't even get out of my pj's it was flippin fantastic! I just lazed around the house doing dishes, laundry etc. Sunday I got up early ran over to Target, then left for a Wine pairing it was sooo good, the wines were amazing. Then had some appetizers at a local restaurant, tried Fried Pickles for the first time, Yum! and then came home and relaxed before coming into work today.

Stress...lets see, massages are always good, aromatherapy, Yoga...all good to release stress.

Posted by: Dee at February 16, 2009 12:28 PM

I had a great Valentine's Day with the boy and called in "sick" to work today for some much-needed mental health that I will likely pay for this week :(

Posted by: Stephanie at February 16, 2009 1:06 PM

Plus, I'm following you on Twitter now (singularmoment is me!)

Posted by: Stephanie at February 16, 2009 1:07 PM

I thought take out Indian food was a lovely way to spend our Valentines Dinner.

Why should anyone be forced to actually cook?

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at February 16, 2009 1:07 PM

Dealing with stress...no not really (suggestions to deal with said stress that is). Try and get down time when you can and if you know it's for the next month or so just prepare yourself for it...the whole month of it...and then you can only be pleasantly surprised if it's not as awful as you thought it could be.

My weekend? We celebrated Daisy's 2nd birthday! We stayed at home ALL weekend - watched far too much TV and DVD's and it was brilliant.

Posted by: Beth at February 16, 2009 2:50 PM

I work on Wall Street (not literally, but you know what I mean) and the last five months have been pure stress. Try going in to work for two months, thinking there is about a 50% chance of getting laid off. Good news is I made it through last week's cut. I'm safe for another six months.
Drinking works for a week or so, but working out seems healthier and works long term. So maybe drink for a week or so then hit the treadmill. Classes are good too, especially the silly classes like "Step Zumba Bosu". I've found it's fun to act stupid and laugh at myself.

Posted by: Jenn Benn at February 16, 2009 6:12 PM

As for the stress...drink... A LOT. Joking. As for the weekend. Hung out with the family, picnic and park, minor projects around the house, and some shopping.

Posted by: Sean at February 16, 2009 6:37 PM

Nyquil- reserved for those special occasions ;-) It at least helps me sleep when the mind actually steps it up at pillow-time.
I always feel so awkward using my own home when workers are there doing their thing.
But what a joy when the work is done! Don't you love walking into a room that first morning-after and kind of being surprised by the renovations?

Posted by: Karen at February 16, 2009 7:11 PM

I totally agree- it's way better to be busy and get lots of stuff done than to do nothing. I'd rather be less rested but productive. And.. good luck with your work thing, I'm glad you'll do great!

Posted by: La Petite Belle at February 17, 2009 9:19 AM

Hey, My weekend went in new windows too, only we r disappointed. we stay next to a busy street and had new ones installed that claimed to be soundproof and were very very expy. and they did not make 1% difference!!! arghhhh...all the money and worse, the traffic....grrrr.

Posted by: NM at February 17, 2009 5:47 PM

This weekend was spent driving in the Rockies in the middle of the night. I do not recommend that. There are mountains, snow, black ice, and lots of animals who don't care the humans built a road there.

As for stress, I always plan a fun adventure/gift to myself at the end of a long stretch of busy. Then I count down, days, minutes whatever gets me through the moment.

Posted by: Lizzle at February 18, 2009 12:49 AM