February 13, 2009

The Weeklies #73

The Weekly Event. Owen's birthday, of course. Followed closely by my Solo Parenting Extravaganza last night. I'm wiped.

The Weekly Unsexy Purchase That Is Being Installed Today. New windows.

The Weekly Most Worthless Celebrity. Chris Brown. 'Nuff said.

The Weekly Viral Video. What happens when some Japanese dudes put on funny outfits and strap binoculars to their heads and play soccer? You should really see for yourself.

The Weekly Read. So, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a James Patterson novel. Never read anything by the man before. I breezed through The Quickie and, while I wasn't expecting to like it based on all the negative reviews I saw, I found it marginally entertaining. I mean, you have to set some realistic expectations. It's not War And Peace. It requires a massive suspension of disbelief. It is the verbal equivalent of a throw-away summer movie starring Ashley Judd. But it is entertaining. Not great, not terrible. Just entertaining.

The Weekly Time Waster. Sorry about this but Bubble Spinner is pretty rad.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Okay, I'm going to pick on Octomom again. Remember the lady who just had eight kids and shopped her story around for $2 million? Well, surprise surprise she and her family are on food stamps and she's even gone online and set up a site taking donations. Look, I'm sorry if having 14 kids is too expensive but you should have thought of that a little sooner.

The Weekly Hypothetical. You can fix the economy or you can figure out the meaning of life. Which do you do and why?

Posted by Chris at February 13, 2009 7:06 AM
Comments

I'm going to fix the economy so that everyone can figure out the meaning of life for themselves without having to be continually on edge, scared, and stressed.

Posted by: Tera at February 13, 2009 7:44 AM

I'm leaning towards to meaning of life. Who knows it may be the economy... ;)

Octomom makes my blood boil. WTF!

Posted by: Nat at February 13, 2009 7:53 AM

Worthless, Worthless Celebrity: The morning show I listen to pulled him of its playlist.

Schadenfreude: Nadya Suleman is on a lot of lists. And she was on assistance before this last invitro. I will add one more. Anyone who donates money to her.

Hypothetical: I would fix the economy. Why? Law firms laid off 828 legal and support staff yesterday. 828 in one day. That count only includes those reported to the press and doesn't include the rest of the day. The situation is making me SICK. I hope the carnage doesn't continue today.

Posted by: Maria at February 13, 2009 8:24 AM

I meant to say that it doesn't include the rest of the week.

Posted by: Maria at February 13, 2009 8:30 AM

I hate you for the bubble spinner.

Posted by: Hazel at February 13, 2009 8:48 AM

I'll by cynical and say fix the economy because I'm pretty sure there is no "meaning" to life anyway. Is that depressing? Well, actually, it doesn't depress me because I don't spend a lot of time pondering it and worrying because I can't figure it out.

Posted by: donna at February 13, 2009 8:58 AM

I'd definitely fix the economy,it could benefit so many. While the meaning of life is left up to the interpretation of the beholder.

Posted by: Steff at February 13, 2009 9:04 AM

I've been reading James Patterson since he began his "nursery rhyme" books. I'm never in a hurry so I can pick them up for $0.50 at Goodwill if I'm patient. Then I recycle the same books back. I'm fond of detective stories.

Fix the economy. Even if I knew the meaning of life there wouldn't be much I could do about it.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: Ann Adams at February 13, 2009 9:31 AM

I would fix the economy. It seems much more pressing. There will be time to figure out the meaning of life later.

Posted by: hope at February 13, 2009 9:38 AM

I've previously commented on Octomom and the more story that comes out about her the more pissed I get. There is a poll on CNN about her whether or not you'd donate 96% no and 4% yes, another one if she should get her own reality show last time I checked that one it was 99% no and 1% yes. Seriously she makes my blood boil, and she gets disability for 3 of her children as well, she doesn't consider Food Stamps welfare she considers it “In her view these are just payments made for people with legitimate needs and are not, in her view, welfare,” her publicist said. Uhhh yeah THAT's ASSISTANCE DUMBASS!
I would seriously smack her if she was in my presence.

Posted by: Dee at February 13, 2009 10:03 AM

Meaning of life. Then start a mega corporation founded around selling the meaning of life and assisting people with understanding / integrating it into their daily lives. Grow it into a major stock bubble. Rinse. Repeat.

Posted by: metawizard at February 13, 2009 10:03 AM

Fix the economy. I didn't even have to think about that one! I figure I can muddle along ok without knowing the exact meaning of life.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm now addicted to bubble spinner.

Posted by: bad penguin at February 13, 2009 10:07 AM

I already know the meaning of life! LOL

Posted by: jessica at February 13, 2009 10:09 AM

I still am amazed to report that we agree on Octomom, although we may part ways when I say that she is committing a form of child abuse and deserves to lose her children. There is not enough room in a comment page to really defend that properly but I think a lot of people would agree once they think about it.

That said, I would fix the economy. The meaning of life= 42

Posted by: Jeff A at February 13, 2009 10:25 AM

Fix the economy. It scares me.

You and your damn time wasters.

Hrmph. I get sucked in every time.

Posted by: k8 at February 13, 2009 10:34 AM

I'd fix the economy because I'm pretty sure the meaning of life is to leave the world a better place than when you arrived.

Posted by: Erica at February 13, 2009 10:34 AM

First, I think the weekly viral video should be a regular feature.

Second, I have a strict policy against reading anyone who has more than one shelf at the bookstore.

Posted by: Kalisa at February 13, 2009 10:37 AM

Fix the economy. It's better for everyone. Besides, the meaning of life is different for everyone, imo, so it wouldn't do me much good to just figure it out for me.

The Bubble Spinner. I can't. Stop.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 13, 2009 10:41 AM

I would fix the economy because I'm big like that. That would help everyone, while enlightenment may only help me.

Though I'd trade them both in for a new roof.

Posted by: Lisa V at February 13, 2009 10:45 AM

Regarding the economy - how about mandatory birth control AND drug testing for anyone receiving public assistance. That alone will save billions.
I'll all for people having babies but if you can't afford them, get your life together before you start having them. Of course that would mean people with chidren already who legitimately need help would still receive it.
As for the latter, if you want to be a drug addict, do it on your own dime. JMHO

Posted by: LaineyDid at February 13, 2009 10:47 AM

thank god you said you were sorry....because I probly just wasted about 2 billable hours playing that damn game....and competing (via email) against my husband who is sadly kicking my ass!

I guess I can forgive you though...because it IS funner than writing contracts!

Posted by: wn at February 13, 2009 10:55 AM

ok, i only have a bachelors degree in psychology from almost a decade ago... but i can take ONE SIDEVIEW LOOK at octomom and tell that she is a bag of loose screws who thinks she is angelina jolie (with NO brad, NO bizillions, and NO in-house barber shop). i find it incomprehensible that all the professionals that have come into contact with her over the years (from the fertility doctor to the plastic surgeons to the childrens' disability evaluators to any government agencies that have been helping her out) have not recommended some psychiatric evaluations or at the very least flagged her somehow for extra scrutiny - instead of going ahead and just letting this all play out.
it leads to all kinds of uncomfortable ethical questions AND kind of feels like the straw that broke the camel's back regarding abuse of taxpayer money.
the sad thing, is that no matter how much i can't stand her, those poor babies need money and people to help with feedings and laundry and FUTURE THERAPY. so i have to hope she gets it.
ug.

Posted by: kati at February 13, 2009 11:15 AM

Fixing the economy is kind of like fixing the toys that your kids break. They're just going to break it again, so really, what's the point? I'll take the meaning of life for 300, Alex.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at February 13, 2009 11:25 AM

Ooooo... this Octomom thing has be spun up hard from the get go. First, how could she afford all this in-vitro? That's terribly expensive. Plus the obvious cosmetic procedures she's had done. The $165k over so many years for the disability or on the job injury would have been taxed, right? She's saying she has $50k in school debts -- why? I'm beginning to wonder if the psycho fertility specialist is the father of these children and saw this as a set up for fame for them.

Shame on anyone who donates anything to this crazy woman. The state should investigate whether or not she's mentally capable of caring for any children, much less 14.

Posted by: coolchick at February 13, 2009 11:38 AM

Fix the economy, definitely. That would help aLOT of people while finding out the meaning of life might only help me....and it might not even do that. Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

Posted by: rebecca at February 13, 2009 12:04 PM

Finally an easy question. Chris you really must stop stressing me out on Fridays with all the hard questions. How am I supposed to know whether I want to live forever, know everything or be able to fly? -- OK, my answer. Without a doubt, the economy. I've never really felt an overwhelming need to understand the meaning of life. I do however have a tremendous need to have a dinner conversation that does not devolve into politiconomic drivel with people who have too many opinions and not enough facts.

Posted by: SassyPants at February 13, 2009 12:07 PM

I'd fix the economy because more people benefit from that. If I know the meaning of life, that just benefits me. Heh. :)

Posted by: oakley at February 13, 2009 12:45 PM

What LaineyDid said, minus the "if you want to be a drug addict" part. No one WANTS to be an addict.
Anyway, the drug tests and birth control sound like a good idea to me.

Also? Legalize the maryjane, and TAX IT like cigarettes. That right there would wipe out the country's deficit. LOL. Yes, I am serious. And NO, I do not smoke pot.

Octomom? Don't EVEN get me started. *boils*

I would fix the economy. I think finding out the meaning of life would make my brain slide out of my ears, and that would not be very much fun, now would it?? :OP

Posted by: Jen at February 13, 2009 1:15 PM

Re: bubble spinner.

You're an evil, evil man.

Posted by: NG at February 13, 2009 1:49 PM

The whole Octo Mom thing makes me so mad - I can't even read about it anymore. My blood just boils . . .

I'm fixing the economy.

I don't know what the meaning of life is - but I think the purpose is to love one another, and be loved. And I'm good with that.

Posted by: Mindy at February 13, 2009 2:30 PM

No brainer. I'd fix the economy, far too many people are loosing their jobs and are in jeopardy of loosing a great deal by the time that this rights itself.

I'm way beyond furious about the Mom. I think they need to change how they approve these things. How can anyone permit a single person with no job to have more kids via in-vitro or whatever it was. It appears that her mother is supporting and taking care of the older kids. The Mom's plan is to get a Masters degree and she feels that she will be able to support her kids.

14 kids on one income. In the meantime, she is asking for money. Stupid and unreal given the situation that she put herself in.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 13, 2009 4:18 PM

I'd rather have a stable economy. The meaning of life is different for everyone, and quite frankly, I don't have that kind of time.

Posted by: statia at February 13, 2009 4:43 PM

Find out the meaning of life.

If I fixed the economy, humans would just find another way to screw things up. But then again, what if the meaning of life sucks? What if I found out that we're just God's ant farm or something?

Posted by: Tink at February 13, 2009 5:11 PM

I would fix the economy if I could. Only because the meaning of life varies from person to person.. and we need to complete our own Journey to discover our own meaning of life.

Posted by: Molly at February 13, 2009 5:12 PM

Octamom... that's one place I'm not going. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt until seeing her interview.

I'd fix the economy. It's for the greater good and the meaning of life is a journey that can't be explained until after you've reached the end. Theoretically speaking, after it was explained to me I'd be dead.

Posted by: CK Lunchbox at February 13, 2009 6:56 PM

You are being featured on Five Star Friday!

Posted by: schmutzie at February 13, 2009 7:04 PM

I would fix the economy because I'd like to see everyone on the news and in the government at a loss for something to bitch about. Besides, life means something different to each person - it means what you want it to mean, right? See, I already know the meaning of life so let me fix the damn economy so people won't be so deperate all the time!

Posted by: TUWABVB at February 13, 2009 7:31 PM

+ There's nothing unsexy about new windows (but then again, I have a weird thing for home-improvements & the supplies therein). It all depends on what you're doing behind them. And whether or not you have curtains.

+ I would like to file a complaint about Stupid Freaking Bubble Crack. I would have done it earlier, but I was, um, busy.

+ I would select meaning of life. Because while I believe I get it enough for my current purposes, maybe my current purposes would alter. I'm with 'Sir' in that I believe "they"'d just break it again. I get seriously annoyed at telling my kids to use a fork 200 times a meal, so I don't think I could deal with that level of frustration

Posted by: harmzie at February 14, 2009 1:20 AM

I would fix the tax problem. You see, the meaning of life is different for everyone. So there is no one answer. The tax problem, bureaucratic problem, well let's just say that I don't think there is an airhead in DC that knows what they are doing!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 14, 2009 7:44 AM

Forgot.

I’m off to Berlin. Wish me luck! I’ll be posting daily, but not sure if I will be able to comment much.
Bye!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 14, 2009 7:46 AM

Happy Birthday Owen!! :) Hope you had a wonderful time. First birthdays are so much fun.

Posted by: Scatteredmom at February 14, 2009 12:40 PM

I already know the meaning of life, so I'd fix the economy.

Happy Valentines Day!

Posted by: Svendlor at February 14, 2009 2:08 PM

I particularly like the fact that in that viral video, the guy in the huge ass bunny-ear-hat is laughing at the guys who can't kick the ball like THEY'RE the stupid ones...

Posted by: Jessa at February 14, 2009 7:50 PM

I'm going to try my best to fix the economy by spending every hard earned doller that comes my way.

Posted by: Mom On The Run at February 14, 2009 11:59 PM

I just watched that video- more proof that the Japanese are crazy! So freaking funny though! Thanks for sharing it. It was even worth the wait time on dial-up. :)

Posted by: Debra at February 15, 2009 5:29 PM

I'm going to fix the economy. It helps a bunch of people, but that's not why I would do it. Once you figure out the answer to the puzzle, you don't want to play the puzzle anymore, you know? I love my life--I would hate to ruin it like that.

Posted by: Angela at February 15, 2009 5:56 PM

Came over from Moxymama's blog. As to your question I would fix the economy because the economy is a reality at this point. The meaning of life is probably better suited to a time during less financial despair.

Posted by: Sean at February 16, 2009 1:44 AM

Bubble Spinner......argh! Thanks for torching what was left of my Family Day, Chris.

Posted by: Meg at February 16, 2009 8:59 PM