February 3, 2009

TXT? WTF?

If you were to pry my smartphone from my hands - not something that's accomplished easily - you'd find my complete calendar which tells me exactly where I need to be and when. Without it I'd be really and truly screwed. You'd find two email inboxes - one from work the other my rudecactus Gmail account. That's right - I can't stand being away from you guys but I promise that I'll never reply to your email from the bathroom. You'd also find a scant few text messages.

Among those text messages are those Beth and I traded the other day. This event was strange for two reasons. First, neither of us text that much. Second, we were sitting in her car, next to each other.

Me: Hey baby.
Beth: Hey.
Me: Whatcha wearing?
Beth: Nothing. You?
Me: Me either.
Beth: How bout a quickie?
Me: Awesome.

The second batch of messages are between me and a few folks I work with. We're frequently in different places, in different meetings and texting is the only convenient way to get to one another.

Coworker: Did Frank ever get back to you on the details of that contract?
Me: Course not. He doesn't exactly follow-up well. Plus he's kind of an ass.
Coworker: True. Follow-up with him, k?
Me: WTHN
Coworker: Huh?
Me: Thought that was texting shorthand for why the hell not.
Coworker: Oh duh, yeah.
Me: I don't text much.
Coworker: NS
Me: I don't need that translated.

That got me thinking about the prevalence of texting. I mean, I remember seeing a news report last month that one girl last month sent over 14,000 text messages in a single month. Now, I'm pretty sure her thumbs are now gone, worn clean off, but it's still damn impressive. Me, I've never really gotten into the whole texting thing. I see how it's convenient. I get that, I really do. But my phone can get me in touch with anyone in virtually any way short of Princess Leia hologramming and I'm not sure but I believe it can actually make sandwiches as well. So texting, to me, seems pretty rudimentary, pretty low-tech to me at this point.

What about you? Do you text? Do you avoid it? How reliant on your cell phone - especially texting - are you?

________________

I know - you've made it this far and you're thinking cut the crap and tell me if I won and, if I didn't, what can I do for another shot. Well, chill out and put your virtual hands together for Sue R (currently blogless but a long time reader), the lucky winner of the first $70 ProFlowers gift certificate randomly selected by Mia me (yeah, Mia was totally into helping out but the comments just kept rolling in well past her bedtime). If you'd like to pocket the next gift certificate, all you have to do is answer this question correctly (or be the closest guesser).

Since starting this site, how many posts have I written?

Posted by Chris at February 3, 2009 6:34 AM
Comments

Including this one I am gonna guess 2698.

Posted by: rachel at February 3, 2009 7:12 AM

Not sure how many posts you've written. Does "A SHIT TON!" count?

I'm not a texter but my children are and so is Honey so they have slowly turned me into one. I suck at it though. I hate that word thing where it automatically puts a word in place by just a few typed letters. It's all dyslexic and looks like it was written by a 2 year old. I get a lot of "WHAT?" responses. Oh well. They'll eventually speak my language.

Love the text message between you and beth though. that was sweet.

Posted by: kimmyk at February 3, 2009 7:15 AM

I text my boyfriend and best friend a lot, but 14000? Ridiculous. I send maybe a few hundred texts every month. But I was already out of high school when texting blew up, so I figure that's why I'm not obsessed.

And my guess is 8,649.

Posted by: Stephanie at February 3, 2009 7:18 AM

My guess is 1876

And I raise my swollen-thumbs is guilt, I'm a big time texter.

Posted by: JJ at February 3, 2009 7:21 AM

I'm gonna say 1445 posts.

I'm not a HUGE texter... I will never be found without my iPhone which renders texting pretty unnecessary (got my phone, got my email), however, I still text quite a bit. I'm definitely not at 14000 texts - I think a few hundred maybe. More so now that you can Gmail chat to text (which is awesome). I am more addicted to my phone in general.

Posted by: Sarah at February 3, 2009 7:32 AM

Not so much into the texting on this end. The Man and I do it more and more if we're shopping and need to know to pick something up. (I know, how lame.)

(yeah, I have my gmail set up on my bb and iPhone too.)

Lovely little things.

Posted by: Nat at February 3, 2009 7:36 AM

1666...right?! And texting in Holland is called SMSen. "Did you send me an SMS?" And I have done it approximately once in my life.

Posted by: Tera at February 3, 2009 7:38 AM

My crackberry is with me pretty much at all times. I'd take it into the shower if I thought it would survive. That being said, I definitely text a lot less now that I have it, because I use email for pretty much the same purpose. Even at the height of my high school days, I don't think I even approached 100 texts in a month.

Posted by: tutugirl1345 at February 3, 2009 7:38 AM

I text my son at college - which is great because it keeps the lines of communication open with calling him on the phone.
I don't know how many blog entries you have but I do love flowers....

Posted by: NancyJak at February 3, 2009 7:53 AM

I text all the time... it's the only way my boyfriend and I really get to talk, since he works retail and closes a lot, and I work in an office from 630-4. But when I'm in my office, I have to text through my email. >.> This month I had 3,500 text messages. But that doesn't count the texts sent through email... Yeah, you can say I text a lot, hehe.

Hmm...As for blog posts written? I'd have to say... 1552

Posted by: secha at February 3, 2009 8:07 AM

You haven't written a single one. As far as I can tell they've all been typed.

Posted by: Marshall at February 3, 2009 8:12 AM

Once a lover of mine texted me but misspelled by accident. He *meant* to say "I'm yours. I want to kiss you all over". What came across was: "I love you. I want to kick you all over."

To which I repled:

WTF???

T'was a giggler.

Posted by: Julia at February 3, 2009 8:12 AM

I am going with 2,037.

Posted by: Coleen at February 3, 2009 8:14 AM

I've never texted. My phone for the last many years have had email capability so I just email people instead of texting. I don't see the appeal in texting personally. I just don't get it. Does that make me old school or just old?

Isn't Marshall clever in his guess this morning. I read that comment, laughed, then groaned b/c I should have known it was him.

Posted by: Shelly at February 3, 2009 8:23 AM

Not a texter... we have the VERY basic cell plan and have to *gasp* PAY for each and every text!

It would be very cool if your posts numbered 14,000 in light of this post, but I'm going with 2,784 (or $1, whichever is closer to the prize...).

Posted by: morninglightmama at February 3, 2009 8:24 AM

I text occasionally, but not very often or very well.

I'm guessing...1200 posts?

Or maybe I should just guess $1, Bob/Drew ~ if everyone else is over, do I win?

Posted by: Kim at February 3, 2009 8:28 AM

My texts are boring and are usually to my husband or the instructor of my Jazzercise class. I'm not a very proficient texter either.

As for the number of posts, how about "eleventy hundred"? That's as good as we get today from me.

Posted by: ironic1 at February 3, 2009 8:35 AM

2270. I know its a lot because I have read almost all of them, for years. Have a great day!

Posted by: goodsnake at February 3, 2009 8:35 AM

2063

I text. Not 14000 per month but more than I did last year. Moving 3000 miles away from friends and family sort of facilitated that. It's easier sometimes to text than to call. Sometimes you just have a quick question that doesn't merit a phone call.

Posted by: Patricia at February 3, 2009 8:36 AM

How many posts have you written?
Not as many posts as I'd love to read!

I text message a little. I'm not a great fan. It seems I always get a text message when I'm driving and I refuse to even look.
I also hate the term Texted. It just seems so wrong.

Posted by: Maribeth at February 3, 2009 8:46 AM

That is a lot of texting. The only person I text is my husband. He says no one would want to text me regularly because I don't know/do the jargon. I usually text in complete sentences. I don't have a landline at home anymore so I am semi-reliant on it.

I think you mentioned recently the exact number of posts, but I'm drawing a blank. My guess is approximately 1,300.

Posted by: Maria at February 3, 2009 8:49 AM

I'm guessing 1630 posts.

I would not be able to function without my phone. Calendar, music, two email addresses, text, calorie counter, shopping list, fart simulator, alarm clock....
Makes me wonder how I ever functioned with any kind of efficiency before.

Posted by: Wack-a-do at February 3, 2009 8:49 AM

I text more than I care to admit. But I'm not really a talking on the phone person so for me it's perfect. Plus, it's perfect for those middle of the day "chats" while at work.
I am going to go with 1876 posts

Posted by: diane at February 3, 2009 8:50 AM

I have been reading your blog for a while now, not nearly as long as I should have been if how much I enjoy it is any indication.

I don't text a great deal. If I get a text, I generally just call the person back. If it is improtant enough to spend the time writing out on your phone, it should be important enough to call...

My guess for the number of posts your have written, without going back and counting them (yes I would!) counting in leap year and the birth of 2 children, I would have to say 1642. Wait, isn't that when Columbus sailed the ocean blue? Still my guess...

Posted by: Becki at February 3, 2009 8:58 AM

I'll admit it, I'm addicted to texting. I hate talking on the phone, and during the day it's the easiest way to chat with folks. Most of my friends are also addicted, so it works out well.

Posted by: Kate at February 3, 2009 9:00 AM

I've an avid texter. I was pro at it even before I went to a QWERTY keyboard. And when I got my Blackberry (which I swore I didn't need but was promised I wouldn't be able to live without) I learned the freedom and addiction to email. The addiction comes from feeling that I always need to check it because something might be important (ha!) but the freedom allows me to not turn on my computer at home. At all. Ever. And that, my friend, is worth every penny.

Posted by: Emily at February 3, 2009 9:03 AM

I text a lot. But not as much as I did before I *sniff* lost my iPhone.

I'm going to guess 3,462.

Posted by: Hope at February 3, 2009 9:05 AM

I have texted twice to my daughter. Mainly because she was at work and couldn't answer her cell call.
I have been reading you some years now. I will go over the top and guess 4350 posts. Don't know why just sounds like a good number to me.

Posted by: Trish at February 3, 2009 9:09 AM

Not so much texting since I moved but when my Thing and I were still doing the long distance relationship thing, we sent tons of text messages. You don't always have time to pick up the phone and work monitors emails...its just nice to have that private contact through out the day.

and I'll guess 1560

Posted by: fauve at February 3, 2009 9:10 AM

The wife and I used to share a text package with 300 (incoming and outgoing) texts a month. We never went over. I think that says plenty about how much I like to text :)

As for the total number of posts I'm going to say 2339.

Posted by: Jennifer at February 3, 2009 9:10 AM

Hmmm five years...maybe 500 posts a year? 2500? Do we have to guess right, or will it be random? ;-)

Posted by: Heather at February 3, 2009 9:11 AM

You've written an assload of posts.

I hate cell phones. They're a necessary evil. I don't text. Sometimes, I don't even bother to answer its demonic little vibration.

Posted by: at February 3, 2009 9:15 AM

I hate texting. I's useful occasionally. But not entertaining at all. My MIL was texting my husband the other day. He picked up the phone and called. her. But she didn't want to talk. Huh? Then leave him alone!

I'm guessing 2010.

Posted by: ktjrdn at February 3, 2009 9:19 AM

We have unlimited texting between my parents, our son, and us. I have the most txt accumulated each month with my Mother coming in second.

I never dreamed my Mother would be a txt'er in fact she wants a new phone so she can txt faster.

My wicked math.
6 posts each week (2 on Mondays)
52 wk in a yr
5 yrs of posts
260 total weeks of posting = 1560 posts

My final answer! :-)

Posted by: steff at February 3, 2009 9:23 AM

i too, am a smartphone junkie. 3 email hookups, instant messenger (always on), and i am a textaholic. i can access my remote desktop from my blackberry too, but hot damn the screen is small!!

Posted by: bri at February 3, 2009 9:33 AM

I'm guessing 1500. And I don't text, because I just don't see the point.

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 3, 2009 9:35 AM

Is Twitter consider texting if you are using a Twitter app??

3249 is my guestimate.

Posted by: ::c:: at February 3, 2009 9:41 AM

My guess is 2222. Can't live without the cell, but not a big texter. The camera on it came in real handy when my friend got pulled over by a state trooper right in front of my house! She was 25 feet from my driveway!!

Posted by: DeLurking Di at February 3, 2009 9:41 AM

Is "ass-ton" a proper measurement?

How about 3879?

I cannot function without my cell and yes, I text. It is the easiest way to destroy the hopes and dreams of my children without having to actually talk to them.

ThingX: Can I go to RandomGirl's House
SassyMom: Nope. I need you to go straight home and clean the bathroom today.
ThingX: But I just cleaned it yesterday.
SassyMom: Yeah, but I wasn't feeling well this morning... doh, heading to a meeting. can't text anymore. See you at 5.

Posted by: SassyPants at February 3, 2009 9:55 AM

Jen and I do about the same amount of texting. There are times when I'm on the phone or in a meeting or in a spot where I can't talk and texting is great for that. Likewise for her. We probably send 20 a month. :)

I'm guessing you're really near 2680 posts.

Posted by: Brad at February 3, 2009 10:00 AM

1725

Is this like the Price is Right, where we have to be closest without going over? Because I don't think I'm over...under, maybe.

Let’s see. a post every weekday and twice on Mondays, means 6 posts per week. So in a given year, the Sunday non-posts cancel out the Monday double-posts, so I just need to subtract the Saturdays. That’s 365-52, or 313 per year. I figure the number of double posts on non-Mondays is pretty well cancelled out by the number of vacation Days. So, 5 times 313 gets us to August, 2008…and that’s 1565. From August 2008 to now, there are 186 days, and following the same principle and removing one day per week, that leaves me with about 160. 1565 +160 = 1725. A nice round-ish number.

Posted by: Teresa at February 3, 2009 10:04 AM

Are we counting per day or per post, i.e. the Monday Haiku is usually posed separately from your other post that day, does that count as two posts then? I may be over thinking this. I'll say 1660.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 3, 2009 10:09 AM

I'm a text moron...but the conversation you had with Beth is totally something my husband and I would do. Hilarious!

I'm guessing 2005 posts :)

Posted by: Jean at February 3, 2009 10:19 AM

1950!

Also, texting is expensive. I try not to do it but sometimes it's unavoidable when all your friends hate talking on the phone (as do I).

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 3, 2009 10:25 AM

I wouldn't say I text A LOT - not, like as much as my 15-year-old holy shit. But I do prefer texting to talking on the phone if it's just a quick message. Like, if I'm late for work, or "calling in" sick, I just text my boss.

Posted by: Kalisa at February 3, 2009 10:32 AM

1270

I know its probably way low.. but I do have a logic to my guess.. :)

Posted by: Molly at February 3, 2009 10:45 AM

My guess is 2500 posts!

I just started texting because of my older two children (18 and 15) it makes it much easier to keep in touch, say if they are at the movies. My daughter will text me if she is on another level of the house! GAH!

I also text with my husband which can be kinda fun :)

Posted by: kami at February 3, 2009 10:46 AM

Texting: no.

Number of posts: a lot

Posted by: jessica at February 3, 2009 10:46 AM

My husband and I text because he can receive texts, but not phone calls, in the petroleum plant. As for posts...

5 years + 7 months...you post almost every day...I've been reading them all...2253

Posted by: Krush at February 3, 2009 11:03 AM

I am a nearing 50 year old mother of two teenagers. In order to actually speak to them, some days my only alternative is to text. I hate it, but I do it.

I compromise by turning on the T9 feature in my phone that makes it guess the word you want as you're going along. I do that just because it pisses off my daughter, when I send her a text that says "What time will you be good?" instead of "What time will you be home?"

Posted by: Candy at February 3, 2009 11:03 AM

posts: 2,577 roughly.

texting: hardly ever -- added the bro to my cell plan, in a three week period he sent and received 5700+ texts. Me: 100 total. Guess who's paying for part of my 'unlimited' texting plan?

Posted by: Christina at February 3, 2009 11:04 AM

Yay me!!!

Posted by: Sue R at February 3, 2009 11:14 AM

A metric fuck ton? I just like saying that.

And I DO NOT TEXT. It is of the devil. People should TALK to one another.

Or read their blogs. Hahahah!

Posted by: k8 at February 3, 2009 11:21 AM

I'm figuring 5 years and approximately 5 posts per week.

So I think that's 1300 but it sounds a little low.

1409?

I hate texting. My thumbs are all thumbs. Plus my phone has limited minutes and texting counts. I'll do it if I must but I'm another one who usually avoids computer speak.

Posted by: Ann Adams at February 3, 2009 11:26 AM

I'm a texter. I prefer texting to phone calls. I have to have unlimited text message plans hehe. I don't do shorthand though,I think it's annoying. All my text messages are spelled properly (unless I just don't know how to spell the word) and mostly grammatically correct (I don't usually bother with capital letters).

Also, I just about panic if I lose reception on my phone. I hate being disconnected from the world.

Posted by: Katie at February 3, 2009 11:33 AM

1552 more postings than I, still blogless, have ever written. By the time I get off my duff and make my own blog instead of just hanging out on all the other cool kid's blogs, blogging will be over. Hope not.

Posted by: rebeccaeee at February 3, 2009 11:41 AM

I regularly text my husband and my brother. You don't have to include the 'hi, how are you? yada yada yada,' so it's funnier.

It's also good if you need to find someone (at a concert, say) and it's really loud.

How many posts? My guess is 1400.

Posted by: LauraS at February 3, 2009 11:49 AM

I do text, though not excessively. My sister and I text each other during hockey games sometimes (arena is waaay too loud for a proper phone conversation), husband and I text each other now and then, and I text with work people a fair amount because I don't have a phone with email, and texting is a good way to exchange messages when phone conversations are not feasible.

My guess is 1248. It is based on no particular logic.

Posted by: MamaKaren at February 3, 2009 11:50 AM

Ha ha- I just got busted last month for having a $60 texting bill. Turns out I DIDN'T have unlimited texting, like I thought I did. Whoops!

My guess is 3653...

Posted by: Tai at February 3, 2009 11:54 AM

after careful calculation, my guess is 1,443 :D

Posted by: Kris at February 3, 2009 12:09 PM

1555 ?

Pure guess, I can't be arsed to count and no-one else has that # yet...

I despise texting, it's deforming the english language and kids these days can't spell because of it. (Yikes, when did I morph into an old miserable git ?)

Posted by: english thorn at February 3, 2009 12:17 PM

I send about 1,500 texts a month and receive about that same amount. I'd text a lot more, but being at home most of the time where my signal totally sucks, it gets hard to do. There's a lot of time spend glaring at the lack of bars on my phone and grumbling "Send damn you! Send!"

And um... I will say 2,361 posts since starting.

Posted by: Debra at February 3, 2009 12:24 PM

Number of posts including this one: 2969

I have never texted nor have I ever owned a cell phone. I am 31 years young and I never want a cell phone for that matter. If I cant look at you when I am speaking to you I would rather wait!!!

Plus I dont want my life to constantly be interupted by ringing.

I am weird, I know!

Posted by: Kelly M. at February 3, 2009 12:48 PM

2541, and I'm not disclosing how I came up with that figure lest it ruin my chances of scoring the gift certificate!

My birthday is coming up this weekend, just in case it increases my chances of winning and all...

Mary

Posted by: Mary at February 3, 2009 12:55 PM

i hate the phone. hate hate hate. so i text and i email, depending on the person i'm writing to. but i NEVER use any acronyms. they bother me and make me feel like i'm 8

Posted by: ali at February 3, 2009 1:09 PM

I'll say 3500 posts.

And my 13 year old daughter EASILY texts 14000 a month. We were watching a movie the other night and I kid you not, her phone vibrated every 30 seconds. It's so dumb though, one time I looked at her text inbox because I was curious as to what they say to each other EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY. And um...they just go, "Wha R U doin?" "Nothing" "Cool" "what r u doing" "nothing" with a little "my mom/dad sux" thrown in for good measure LOL Seriously BORING!

But my husband and I text during the day just to say hi, keep in contact, break up the boredom, ya know? Anyway, have a good day!!!

PS
One thing I haven't and can't imagine getting into is the twitter thing...just don't get it! I mean you can look at FB on your phone, what more do ya need?!

Posted by: Shannen at February 3, 2009 1:18 PM

I say somewhere around 1342. Dude, it's like the Price is Right--can't go over, gotta get as close as possible!

Posted by: samantha jo campen at February 3, 2009 1:30 PM

1382

Price is Right rules (without going over)??

Posted by: Sabrina at February 3, 2009 1:54 PM

Oh lord, I don't know how many - a SA amount? (Shitass for the texting dunces out there, of which I am one - I just made SA up. I just don't want to pay the extra $ I guess.)

Posted by: Heather at February 3, 2009 1:56 PM

When I had blackberry, I would send good ol' fashion email. Now that I have just a traditional phone and I gotta pay to send out a text message?.. uh, no thanks. I'll just pick up the phone and call.

Besides, I can't read all this texting stuff. How in the world are kids going to learn how to spell without vowels?!!!

Daisy

1638 posts is my guess.

Posted by: Daisy at February 3, 2009 2:12 PM

well, i just finished counting every.single.solitary one of them (whew!), and there are 1483 posts from you on rudecactus.com. now i must go rest.

Posted by: RzDrms at February 3, 2009 2:12 PM

I'm going to guess 1245.

Posted by: zanie at February 3, 2009 2:33 PM

I'm going with 1584.

The big story here was some girl who texted 34,000 a month. I think I've sent 5 in my whole life. I'd probably send more, but then I'd have to pay actual dollars for a phone, and way more for my plan.

Posted by: Becky at February 3, 2009 2:38 PM

ha! I'm the same. I have my work outlook and my gmail on my iphone. And I prefer getting the gmail kind of emails- hands down.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at February 3, 2009 2:45 PM

let's go with 1077. sound good? ok.

Posted by: tiffanie at February 3, 2009 2:47 PM

I use texting for things that are more urgent than e-mail but not urgent enough to require a phone call. (For example - texting the boyfriend to ask him to pick up bread on the way home. Or he'll text me to let me know he's on his way home if he's out late playing cards.) Admittedly, I don't use it very often, but it does fill that middle ground nicely.

Posted by: Dawn at February 3, 2009 3:16 PM

Also, I'm going to go with 2147 posts. (You've been doing this for a long-ass time, yo.)

Posted by: Dawn at February 3, 2009 3:18 PM

You've written all of the posts since starting this blog.

Let me know where to send my address. *wink*

Also - I text because during my career days in systems software, I was primary support for two datacenters - one in Illinois, and one in NY - for many months, 24/7, with no backup. The phone rang all night. I still cry when it rings.

I like to communicate. I hate to talk on the phone.

Posted by: bhd at February 3, 2009 3:53 PM

1524

Do Haikus count too???

I am not much of a texter, only when I need to say something to my husband and I know he may be in a meeting or something. I don't have a phone with a keyboard (I am old school technology-wise) and it takes me too long to punch through all those letters. Wow, I am old. I don't know any of the top 10 pop stars or their songs right now either.

Posted by: stacie at February 3, 2009 4:04 PM

16 posts. (I've only been reading a few weeks and, uh, after all, it is all about me, right?!!!!!)

Posted by: aimee at February 3, 2009 4:15 PM

1300 is my intellectual guess, but not enough is my emotional guess.

Posted by: Hazel at February 3, 2009 4:26 PM

2013 posts, I had to do math to come up with that number, I hate math, so by proxy, you are now on thin ice buddy! :)

Posted by: Jeff A at February 3, 2009 4:48 PM

I just got a cell phone. I did have one back in 2003, but I gave it up in 2006. I was all happy and free but realized that traveling on crappy highways in the winter might be a smidgen safer with a cell phone. But I rarely answer it. I'm happier when people text me. Even then, maybe 3-5 a week.

Anyway, number of posts. I remember when I entered yesterday, I saw the answer. I remember it was huge. Something like 14 000. But everybody else is guessing way lower. However, I think you have been blogging for about 5 years, and with your haikus, that's 6 posts a week. So maybe my 14 000 is more like 1400? So my official guess is 1423.

Posted by: Heather at February 3, 2009 5:03 PM

(29 [approx. posts per month] x 66 [full months completed]) + 3 [month of Feb]= 1917

Now THERE'S a math problem!

Posted by: Jennifer Berthiaume at February 3, 2009 5:08 PM

My guess is 3021

Posted by: Arwen at February 3, 2009 5:43 PM

I once had a BAD run in with a text message (I know you would've thunk it?) where I sent a message bitching about a coworker to oh, you know, THAT person. I was mortified, ashamed and so embarrssed...it was the heat of the moment and all that. It's one thing to bitch behind someones back but to them, it was awful. Since then I tend to stear clear of them although I do get at least one every day from my husband telling me that he loves me. Or I have great tits. Or something.

Now re: the post thing...not sure and prob shouldn't answer as I am on the other side of the world and whilst all the govt's are saying 'spend, spend, spend' to get out of the global recesssion I think someone should spend back into your economy.

Yes, yes I think I have babbled enough now.

Posted by: Beth at February 3, 2009 6:49 PM

I've only been texting since August and enjoy the convenience. Since it's very rare for me to get any breaks during the work day,sneaking in a text has been a great way to check with the fiance through the house buying procedure, when he is sick, etc.

And this past Saturday night when we were seated an entire aisle away from each other at an acrobatic circus we were able to text during intermission about the show and if he could see, if I was going up to the lobby, and so on.

(We saw Cirque le Masque: http://www.cirquelemasque.com/

It was awesome! And now I am going to run off and join the (acrobatic) circus :-)

Posted by: Karen at February 3, 2009 8:46 PM

my guess: 2275

I've been trying to get my husband into the communications 21st century forever. He's all over this internets thing, but phones are a leash. To which I reply: "DUH!!"

Maybe if I make him aware of the dirty texting possibilities, my chances will improve!

Posted by: harmzie at February 3, 2009 9:20 PM

Uhm... 1593.

And I would rather text you than talk to you because I am Weird Like That.

Posted by: caleal at February 3, 2009 9:25 PM

Putting on my amazing Kreskin hat: 2732

On the texting front - though I use it extensively for incoming weather alerts and home voicemail notifications, and as a secure entry code thing for online banking - I don't actually txt anyone with any frequency ... IM'ing never appealed to me ... so the whole IM'ing on the go appeals even less. I'd rather either talk on the phone, or send a more detailed email. I'm all about excessive verbosity (hence this comment).

Posted by: Tisdone at February 3, 2009 9:28 PM

Ever since I got my iPhone I text A LOT.

I am going to guess 2390.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at February 3, 2009 9:46 PM

1361

can i use a lifeline?

Posted by: bri at February 3, 2009 10:11 PM

1729? ;-)

Posted by: jaimie at February 3, 2009 10:22 PM

First, my guess for total posts is 2075.

And I text some, however since getting my Blackberry, I find I text less because I can access my personal email and Facebook instantly. However it's great fun to text a co-worker in a large meeting to alert him/her about another participant who has nodded off.

Posted by: coolchick at February 3, 2009 11:15 PM

I hate talking on the phone, therefore I love to text. Love it. I'm not a fan of abbreviations however, so all of my texts are properly spelled and punctuated. Time-consuming, but still hundreds of times better than actually speaking to someone. My guess for number of posts is going to be 1050, just because.

Posted by: Kate at February 3, 2009 11:39 PM

I have an unlimited texting plan, so yeah. I do a lot of it. With HBB living half time in the cities he and I do a lot of communicating that way. And when he was traveling a lot we did a lot of it. And my 20-year-old daughter and I also text a lot. And since I have the open plan? I use it for twittering, too. And that's with the regular old numeric phone pad... :)

Posted by: Keri at February 4, 2009 12:33 AM

Oh crap! You had to do a math project! I am SO not good at that! I give up until the NEXT try! Or random 6, 896 entries...

Yes, I text, no not obsessively...but its REALLY great to keep in touch quick...

Posted by: Gypsy at February 4, 2009 1:01 AM

Ehm.... 9,743 posts!

I don't text that much either. Actually, I'm pretty bad when it comes to the cellphone. I either don't hear it go of, I don't answer because it's inconvenient and text messages I only plan to reply. I know, I am such an example to modern day technology.

Posted by: Nadine at February 4, 2009 7:25 AM