March 9, 2009

Weekend Lessons

This weekend was absolutely awesome. I'm not sure if it was the taste of spring, the company we had or just the fact that it was fun, but it was great. And I feel like I learned some stuff along the way. First and foremost, I don't want to be back at work. But I am so that's not necessarily noteworthy. These, however, are.

• Owen can walk. Sure, he kinda looks drunk when he gives it a shot. He'd never pass a field-sobriety test. But he's putting some steps together - five or six at a stretch. And damn is he happy about it.
  • The whole daylight savings time thing sincerely blows. Granted, if it was the winter I'd be singing a different song. But we lost an hour this weekend. I can't afford to lose hours any more than I can afford to lose brain cells.
  • The fish in our pond seemed to have survived the winter. About three dozen of them came out of their cryogenic freeze this weekend and man were they hungry.
  • My daughter still has an undying love for my coworker Kevin. I asked her to name the one fish that looked marginally different from the others in the pond. She named it Kevin.
  • Pre-spring yard work kinda blows. I tried to get the yard prepped for the spring blooming that's about to take place. It was a nice way to work up to what's sure to be a spring and summer chock-full of yard work.
  • The Costco Rule Of $168 can be broken. Contrary to popular belief and previous experience, you can get out of Costco without spending $168.
  • Cranking it up to 11 totally rocks. I was home alone for a while on Saturday. Sure, I had to work but before I did, I cranked up the stereo and my amp and, for about twenty minutes, I was a rock star. I can't tell you how therapeutic that was.
  • Allergies are back. Beth spent half the weekend sneezing. When the wind kicked up, I could literally see clouds of pollen coming off the trees. Seriously. I'm not exaggerating. I honestly thought our backyard was on fire a couple of times before I realized what the issue was.
  • I'm ready for spring. Despite the allergies, despite the sneezing, I'm absolutely 100% ready for spring.
  • Company is great. We had my parents in for dinner on Friday night and Beth's mom over on Saturday. Despite the obligatory pre-visit cleaning, both evenings were awesome.
  • I am the best daddy in the whole world. Or so I was told by my daughter repeatedly this weekend. And frankly, she's the one that counts.
  • Beer is good. 'Nuff said.
  • This weekend was exhausting. By the end, I was wiped out. Even Owen was wiped out. He fell asleep with a cracker in his hand. And he never passes up a good cracker.

owen.car.cracker.JPG.jpg

So, what did you learn this weekend?

Posted by Chris at March 9, 2009 7:07 AM
Comments

I learned that driving with a two month old kitten is damn hard! He wanted out of the carrier to the point of latching onto my fingers with all 20 claws and a month full of baby teeth! It was a long two hour drive home but so worth it! (picture of him on my facebook!)

Posted by: Michelle at March 9, 2009 8:35 AM

Helped the Missus with preparations for our niece's bridal shower. I worked awful hard on an event I wasn't even invited to. Though it did sneak a good share of brownies.

Posted by: J at March 9, 2009 10:21 AM

Yes, good loud rock makes me feel young again and full of life! This is good!
Pollen. This is bad. Like Bet, I suffer from allergies badly. But, today it is snowing, so I don't have to worry about that yet.
I am ready for spring too. Enough of this white stuff!
Owen is a major doll in that picture!
And yes, you are a great Dad!
PS: Saw Frost/Nixon. Great film!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 9, 2009 10:23 AM

I learned that lazing around in the afternoon watching hockey and golf on TV can easily turn into the best afternoon of tickling, wrestling, playing with play-dough, and wet-paper-towel-throwing-fights.

Posted by: Brad at March 9, 2009 10:27 AM

Oh my goodness, Owen looks so precious in that photo. As for what I learned, I learned that I still suck at golf. I have a good time anyway, though!
P.S. Wasn't it gorgeous around here this weekend?!

Posted by: La Petite Chic at March 9, 2009 10:51 AM

I learned that something is wrong with me mentally, possibly because after seeing Watchmen, I'm totally worshiping Rorcschach...

P.S. Owen looks like a little punk rock baby! You can photoshop a bottle into his tiny hand and you have it. :)

Posted by: OakMonster at March 9, 2009 11:07 AM

My daughter is 9, and we still call her by the nickname she earned when learning to walk - Drunk Baby!

Posted by: Traci at March 9, 2009 11:39 AM

Anthony has been walking for almost 6 weeks, and we still call him the drunk baby...

Posted by: Steph at March 9, 2009 11:43 AM

So did it cost you $268 to get out of Costco then?

Posted by: Heather at March 9, 2009 12:13 PM

Owen looks soooo much like Mia in that picture. CUUUUUUUUUTE

also? my husband totally banned me from Costco. i couldn't get out of there under, um, $400.

Posted by: ali at March 9, 2009 12:40 PM

I am *seethingly* jealous of all your spring talk. Here in the great white north, it is still great, and WHITE, and, um... north. I'd really like some spring yard work and allergy onset. Ask me again in a month, though.

I learned to heed the reminders about Daylight Savings Time WHEN YOU HEAR THEM - say, Saturday. We have never changed our clocks until the Sunday, but this weekend were half an hour late for an event when I was on track to be early.

Adorable photo. I love the I-may-be-sleeping-but-I-WILL-hurt-you-if-you-touch-my-cookie grip.

Posted by: harmzie at March 9, 2009 1:39 PM

Things I learned this weekend:

1. That after two hip replacment surgeries over the past 3 months, I can walk up the stairs alternating feet. Not a big deal unless you haven't been able to do that for a couple of years.

2. Heavy snow hitting high voltage power lines makes a sizzling sound. We call it white noise.

3. No matter how many times you vacuum, if you live near a bunch of fir trees, you will CONSTANTLY have needles on your carpet and beautiful hardwood floors. (I already knew this but haven't lived near fir trees for a while and forgot the gawd-awful mess they make.)

4. Wishing for spring will bring the afore mentioned snowstorm on full force.

5. Daylight Saving Time sucks @ss.

Posted by: zanie at March 9, 2009 2:13 PM

Things I learned this weekend:

4. Wishing for spring will bring the afore mentioned snowstorm on full force.

5. Daylight Saving Time sucks @ss.

Posted by: zanie at March 9, 2009 2:13 PM

I learned that my Mom enjoys camping!! I took her and my nephew camping. Wonderful. All day long she kept saying "This is what it's all about!" and all evening long, after countless games of camp-ball, my nephew kept saying "This is the best day I have had in a long time!".

Mission Accomplished!

Posted by: Kelly M. at March 9, 2009 3:18 PM

Didn't do much of note this weekend, except try to get up earlier in preparation for the ()*&#%* time change. However, I just had to drop you a line to point out that, in this picture, Owen is totally rocking the David Bowie hair thing. Remember when he played Jareth in Labyrinth? A little more length and he'll have it nailed. Check it out: http://www.movieforum.com/movies/titles/labyrinth/images/ball.jpg

Posted by: Michelle L at March 9, 2009 3:19 PM

I learned that despite everything going wrong at work, owing more than I could possibly make to creditors, and not being able to find the left shoe I was looking for, an evening watching the sunset at the beach with the people I love most makes everything else not matter so much anymore. I also learned that people who schedule a six hour birthday party for a one year old should look into medication.....Because that is how I spent Sunday, and by hour four I was ready to deflate the bouncy gym and call it a day, had they served something besides Caprisun I may have felt differently.

Posted by: Shannon at March 9, 2009 4:01 PM

I learned that margaritas (two, to be exact) after walking around in the sun at the park will be the most awesome thing you have ever tasted. I also learned that my boyfriend really does think I'm awesome, as we've been together for almost 4 months and I got the L word this weekend :)

Posted by: Stephanie at March 9, 2009 5:43 PM

I learnt on Friday afternoon that I had a new job! So spent the weekend feeling good about that. And also that one way to ruin a perfectly good weekend is to nag your husband, then get pissed off, then get pissed off about the fact that the said weekend is being ruined by you being pissed off. It's a vicious cycle I tells ya! Happy Spirng! Alas it's autumn here now...but I am ready for the change of seasons.

Posted by: Beth at March 9, 2009 7:35 PM

I learned that that little "Grabbit" bit that is supposed to help extract a stripped out screw, in fact does not work. "Wrenching" it out with pliers does though. Yay me.

And I learned that once the temperature gets over about 68 degrees, I'm uncomfortable. No wait... I already knew that.

Posted by: coolchick at March 9, 2009 8:15 PM

owen is walking! Whao...

What did I learn? That my parents 100 proof gin is best taken in small doses but it sure tastes good.
That running in the warm springlike weather is more fun that I'd remembered...
And ... it might be time to think about gearing up the bikes.

Posted by: Nat at March 9, 2009 10:48 PM

"This one goes to 11..." I am so jealous. I have a princess-and-the-pea neighbor downstairs who would call in the National Guard if I cranked my stereo that high.

Posted by: Svendlor at March 10, 2009 12:47 AM

If you want to buy a house, you would have to get the business loans. Furthermore, my father commonly uses a short term loan, which is really reliable.

Posted by: WardLou at July 13, 2010 12:46 PM