March 24, 2009

Hair Apparent

Life is full of milestones, some big some small. Haircuts, it turns out, are somewhere in between. Especially first ones.

On Sunday morning, Owen's hair looked like this:

hair.before.jpg

On Sunday afternoon, it looked like this:

hair.after.jpg

Getting from point A to point B was pretty much ten minutes of this:

I might be making the biggest understatement ever when I saw that Owen was not thrilled. He hated every minute of it. At one point, I even pulled up the cape he was wearing to see if rabid weasels were chomping on his toes. (There were no rabid weasels.) Mia - who I was holding while filming - wasn't happy either. Because as much as she like to slap her brother around for eating her books, playing with her stuff and generally making life miserable, she loves him and worries about him and hates to see him so upset.

Of course, immediately after the screaming and carrying on, he perked up and was totally happy. But, uh, what happened to our baby? We went in that place with a baby and left with a little boy. How the hell did that happen?

Posted by Chris at March 24, 2009 6:52 AM
Comments

Wow...a traumatic experience for everyone. Poor little dude.

Posted by: Hazel at March 24, 2009 7:12 AM

Aww! Poor little bug! He looks awful cute both ways though!

Posted by: Heather at March 24, 2009 7:44 AM

Oh dear, poor little thing! But he does look very grown up now.

Posted by: Katherine at March 24, 2009 7:53 AM

Yeah, what a mistake I made by opening this video in the kitchen this morning with all the kids around. I had a one year old looking like he heard someone dying-- that mix of interest and terror that can grace a toddler's face. Then there was the 2 year old yelling, "I want to see the crying baby. I WANT TO SEE!!!" And best of all was the 8 year old, who chastised you awful parents who had the GALL to get your child's haircut:

JAM: "Why did they DO that?!"
Me: "Because he needed a haircut."
JAM: "But he's a baby!"
Me: "And babies grow hair and need haircuts-- just not you guys who stay bald for years it seems."
JAM: "But that doesn't give them the right to do that to him!"

So, my children are collectively incensed, and I am sitting here VIVIDLY remembering our first trip to the hair cutting place with an almost 2 year old JAM all those years ago. Oh yeah, our pictures look so very similar to your video here. Glad to see you all made it out of there in one piece, and he looks absolutely adorable!

Posted by: morninglightmama at March 24, 2009 8:04 AM

One shot of the video there is some other kid in the other chair just like "what is going on over there" LOL

Poor Owen, but he looks much tamer with the haircut

Posted by: Deirdre at March 24, 2009 8:29 AM

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest thing, (in a heart breaking kinda way!). Now he looks so manly!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 24, 2009 8:29 AM

That's insanely cute. That's it, I'm officially insane now.

Awwwwwwwwwwww. ;-)

Posted by: LeSombre at March 24, 2009 8:44 AM

Dear Lord! What's Beth doing to that poor child!?

Actually, she looked about as traumatized as him.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at March 24, 2009 8:46 AM

That's horrifying! I would've caved and snatched him out of the chair, even if it meant he had one side of fluffy hair and one side of cut hair :D

Also, that person cutting his hair is amazingly patient.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 24, 2009 9:06 AM

My wife cuts children's hair for a living, well, she cuts everyone's hair but specializes in kids. It blows me away how much a simple haircut can drastically change a child's "look". That and sometimes it is a sort of dance to cut the hair of a kid who cannot or will not sit still. Haircuts seem to be fairly traumatic for some kids and not for others.

Owen's chop looks pretty good and don't worry, he's still a baby, just a baby with cut hair!

Posted by: Erik at March 24, 2009 10:18 AM

Aw, poor Owen. I had no sound at work, but that video was still heartbreaking. I must say though that I am amazed at kiddie-haircutters... it takes some serious skill to cut the hair of a kid who is crying and squirming like that.

Posted by: stephanie at March 24, 2009 10:46 AM

Aw poor thing! No more mohawks for Owen, eh?

Posted by: oakley at March 24, 2009 11:22 AM

Awwwww. The first haircut always makes little babies into little boys. He is adorable! After about the 3rd haircut my son finally stopped freaking out, now we just give him a faux hawk at home. =)

Posted by: Lesley at March 24, 2009 11:41 AM

Oh, dear. Sorry you had to go through that. I kinda liked the finger-in-a-socket look, but it's definitely something my Mom would roll her eyes about. He does look all grown up with his new 'do.

My son will be one here pretty quick and I have yet to cut his hair. It curls so sweetly at the nape of his neck, and hey, I dig long hair on guys. Hubby thinks he's cute this way so I guess I can put off the rabid weasels a little longer.

Posted by: Brooke Habecker at March 24, 2009 12:20 PM

he looks soooo much like you its not even funny. :o)

Posted by: Leticia at March 24, 2009 12:54 PM

Wow that's brave of you to share... I've seen many children react this way. The next time he goes he'll probably be different. I suggest a lollipop while he's getting his hair cut...it's a huge sugar distraction.

The person doing the haircut....mucho patience!!

Posted by: Kristy at March 24, 2009 1:21 PM

OhmyGOODNESS! He WAS pretty upset! So cute though. I personally like his rocker-baby look in the first photo, but lo, the little boy look is EQUALLY as adorable.

Posted by: Pocklock at March 24, 2009 2:41 PM

Poor baby!

My own baby was very concerned about the crying baby. Mine will be one next month, but at this rate won't need a haircut until he gets his driver's license.

Posted by: Lisa at March 24, 2009 3:14 PM

I just wanted to say that YAY - you made it through the first hair cut - it is always so traumatic for kids. But the 2nd should go so much smoother (hopefully). Poor little Owen sounds like one mad cat! And it's traumatic for parents too. You did a good thing. He looks like such the little man. You'll be happy you taped the memory.

Posted by: Cindy G at March 24, 2009 3:15 PM

I kind of liked the Wild Man look he had going on, but I'm sure life will be much easier this way.

And I hoped you tipped that guy well.

Posted by: Alias Mother at March 24, 2009 4:13 PM

OMG! I've been away from your site so long you now have another child...who needed a haircut none the less!! LOL Great pic of the frazzled hair! I'll make sure I keep up with reading your blog from now on :)

Posted by: Michelle at March 24, 2009 4:19 PM

Aw, I think he looks adoarable!

Posted by: Dianna at March 24, 2009 5:16 PM

Oh so cute!!!! We were lucky 10 years ago with our first haircut with our son...they had magical cartoons. I had a tranq dart in my back pocket just to be safe tho. :)

Owen is too too cute!

Posted by: The Stiletto Mom at March 24, 2009 6:31 PM

Amazing how much that kid looks like you.

Posted by: Nat at March 24, 2009 7:27 PM

But he looks so darned cute with his little hair cut! Not that he wasn't cute before, but he looks a little saner now... lol.

Posted by: Debra at March 24, 2009 10:03 PM

omg, that before picture is awesome!!

Posted by: chrissie at March 25, 2009 12:03 AM

It appears to me that the first picture/hairstyle reflects his awesoem personality! Go Owen - may you never lose your spirit!!!

Posted by: laineyDid at March 25, 2009 6:47 AM

OMG, that top photo is the cutest thing in the whole world ever except for similar photos of my son when he was that age.

Why for you trim his fuzzy little haid?

God, so cute. ;)

Posted by: Elise at March 25, 2009 8:20 AM

Oh! The guy COULD have talked to him instead of holding his head so tight and scaring him! snort!
AND I miss his wild hair! he is adorable both ways, but there is just something about baby hair that is adorable!

That's it...he is growing up fast!

And Mia! That cracks me up! That was how I always felt, I could beat the crap out of my sisters and brothers, but no body else better! Or they got it from me!

Posted by: gypsy at March 25, 2009 9:53 AM

beth is officially the best mom ever!!! she was so awesome during that whole thing. i probably would have been crying during that whole thing (or maybe laughing)

he looks ridiculously cute.

Posted by: ali at March 25, 2009 2:18 PM

Awwwwww dat poor widdle baby! Bless his heart. How in the world will you get him to ever go back there? Maybe try to find a Flowbee on ebay and see if he'll tolerate that! Or drug him before you take him back.

And I hope you kept a lock of his wild boy hair!

Posted by: coolchick at March 25, 2009 7:52 PM

Okay see? Over at Beth's blog we weren't subjected to the crying and I liked it better that way. Poor crying monkey! And poor you guys too. He looks great though--like such a big boy and that in itself is probably heartbreaking. I know it was for me when Theo got his hair cut for the first time. And now we're going on his third. Sigh.

Posted by: samantha jo campen at March 27, 2009 10:48 PM

i didn't cut calvin's hair until last month. he had the same fraggle/einstein thing going on, too. finally, i relented and snipped around the ears and the back of his head. you'd think i was cutting fingers instead of hair the way he carried on. he's still pretty much thin on hair compared to most toddlers his age, and even compared to kids younger. 17 months has flown by. bye bye baby boy, hello toddler.

Posted by: Dolly at March 27, 2009 11:57 PM

I have the most awesome blackmail pictures of my nephew getting a haircut and wailing like someone was biting his toes off. We showed them to him and he refused to cry during haircuts anymore. Which is good. 16 year olds shouldn't cry like that.

I'm kidding. He was three. ;)

Posted by: Tink at March 30, 2009 7:12 PM