March 3, 2009

The Grass Is Always Whiter

After a disappointing winter with almost no snow whatsoever, the heavens opened up and dumped a bit. It snowed yesterday. About eight inches in my neighborhood. Not that size matters. Anyway, the snow excited me. The reasons were threefold.

a) I love snow.
b) I didn't have to throw on a suit and tie. It was the perfect excuse to work from home.
c) I could get more done working from home in eight hours than I could do in double that amount of time in the office.

Observation: It's a little sad that two of the three things about snow that made me happy are somehow related to work.

DSC_3683sm400.jpg

Regardless, I love snow. I love the way the weathermen get all horny over the Doppler radar and act as though its the End of Times. I love how people rush off to the grocery store to buy milk and toilet paper. Why would you possibly need more milk and toilet paper in a snowstorm than you would any other day of the year? I love watching reporters shiver in the cold while I sit in my warm living room. And I love to watch my kids freak the fuck out - in a good way - because there's snow and snow is fun.
DSC_3688sm400.jpg

I grew up in Texas. It never snowed. I lie. It snowed precisely once. I was in the fourth grade and we got about a quarter inch of snow. Schools let out and businesses closed not because the snow posed any danger but because it was such an oddity. While snow is a pain in the ass for a lot of people around here, I think it's a hell of a lot of fun.
DSC_3695sm400.jpg

I worked from home and got a crapload done. The kids got suited up in their snowsuits, so padded that they could barely move. Sure, the consistency of the snow was more like sand so Mia wasn't quite able to make her snowman but fun was had. By all.

And it gave me a great excuse to post pictures of my cute family. I'll use any excuse I can get.

Posted by Chris at March 3, 2009 6:53 AM
Comments

Love, love love the pictures of your adorable family in the snow!
Wonderful!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 3, 2009 7:19 AM

And we all get the benefit of the white stuff.

Posted by: Tera at March 3, 2009 7:56 AM

looks like a good snow day to me.
glad to hear you got a shit ton of work done from home. that's always a bonus.

no snow here though in ohio which is really odd.

Posted by: kimmyk at March 3, 2009 9:31 AM

I love that first picture. So cute!

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 3, 2009 9:42 AM

What was so annoying for me on Sunday night was that I actually NEEDED milk and toilet paper. (Out of both, and while I could make do without milk, not so much without TP.) There were slim pickins in the milk selection and I had to fight my way through to the toilet paper. Poor planning on my part.

I am quite impressed you got more work done at home than at the office. That would NEVER happen for me, and I don't even have to children climbing all over me to play.

Posted by: stephanie at March 3, 2009 9:50 AM

We got about six inches in Memphis which gets snow about as often as you did in Texas I think. Overall, southwest Tennessee got more snow than it had since 1968. They would've canceled school, but it was on the weekend. They canceled a lot of church though. And it has to practically be the apocalypse for churches in the Bible belt to shut down.

Posted by: kalisa at March 3, 2009 9:59 AM

You should take some of our snow. I've had QUITE enough :P

Posted by: Heather at March 3, 2009 10:36 AM

Last Thursday we got about seven inches of snow, and, damn it all to hell, the efficient Minneapolis plows actually got all the streets clear by the next day. No missed work for me. Because I wanted to play in the snow like you guys!!

Posted by: NGS at March 3, 2009 10:37 AM

I grew up on the east coast and now live in Texas - so I have two observations about snow. In the East, snow is great - but only for the 1st day when you can play in the fluff and not worry about being jabbed by a frozen pile or violated by yellow/brown snow. My second observation concerns the idiocy of Texans sleigh-riding and making snowmen (more like mudmen) in the 1/8 inch snow we received last March. I swear, I just sat there in shorts and flip-flops saying "Bless their hearts." Snow-amateurs! :)

Posted by: TUWABVB at March 3, 2009 10:44 AM

Las Vegas got a snow day last December. Happens about once every 20 years. LOVED IT! You need no excuses to post pictures of your cute family- we're suckers for them.

Posted by: rebecca at March 3, 2009 11:22 AM

You know me. I love the snow just as much as you do. And I could go for some more.

Posted by: k8 at March 3, 2009 11:53 AM

I'm disappointed, we didn't get very much snow here this year. We got some, but not as much as I would have liked. I envy you guys and your snow storm, LUCKY!

Posted by: Jeff A at March 3, 2009 1:10 PM

Wonderful photos.

But I do hate the evil shite stuff. I grew up in TX, too, but then I lived in Boston for a couple of years and Kansas City for almost a decade. I got my lifetime quota of snow and ice. Actually, 10 lifetimes.

Right now, the husband is working in NH, living in a beach cottage where the view out his front window is of SAND covered in SNOW. That's so wrong I can barely type the words.

Here, it's in the high 80s. Aaaah. ;-)

Posted by: Elise at March 3, 2009 1:20 PM

Tiny girls making snow angels? That is on the top of my snow list. Everything else, eh. No, I love snow, as long as I can just be at home and watch it.

I'm like you, it snowed in LA once in my childhood. They closed snow for six inches. It was awesome.

Posted by: Issa at March 3, 2009 1:34 PM

If I worked from home, I'd get NOTHING done. Too many ways for me to goof off at home. I have zero willpower.

Posted by: Gramps at March 3, 2009 2:08 PM

We had a snowday. It was awesome.

<3 snow.

Posted by: Hope at March 3, 2009 2:46 PM

I love snow too! Love the pics of Mia and Owen in their padded snowsuits! Too cute!

Hey, we even got a dusting of snow Monday night here on the southeast coast of NC!

Posted by: coolchick at March 3, 2009 7:53 PM

We got 5.5 inches at my house - unheard of for my area. I enjoyed it, but not having to drive 2 hours home in iffy conditions yesterday. Alas. But now I'm ready for spring!

Posted by: Stephanie at March 3, 2009 9:37 PM

Always love the photos! Brings back memories of my Dad sealing me up in a red snow suit that zipped up toe to neck. Oh yea...good times.

Posted by: elsye at March 4, 2009 10:27 AM

Looks like fun! Glad it's yours and not mine though!

Posted by: Dianna at March 4, 2009 10:26 PM

I love the colors in the first pic. they, and ur children are breathtaking!!!

Posted by: NM at March 5, 2009 10:11 AM

Your children are adorable and those photos are fantastic. Professional quality that are usually the type that are stock pictures for a photo sharing site or that come in a picture frame from a department store.
I live on a large river on Cape Cod and this past winter was awful. Very cold and it snowed a lot.
My daughter lives with my ex-wife in Celebration FLA. She says she misses the snow and would like to come back up here for the change of seasons.
Man, I can remember when we bought her her first snowsuit. She insisted on sleeping in it. That next morning I had to take it off her to change her diaper. Then put it back on and zipper it back up. I think she was attracted to the shine and slipperiness of the nylon. She took after me and my ex-wife in that department.

Posted by: Bill at March 23, 2009 12:28 AM