March 19, 2009

The Producers

The other night, I was reading a copy of Highlights to Mia. I used to get Highlights when I was a kid and I don't think it's changed in thirty years. My favorite part is still, as Mia calls it, the finding part. I mean, it's predictable - there's always a candle, a pencil and a boat of some sort - but it's fun. Anyway, there was a story about a kid who produced a show at his school. Mia instantly wanted to know what a producer was.

Mia: What does a producer do?
Me: Well, usually you think of a producer when you think of shows on TV like The Backyardigans.
Mia: Where do producers live?
Me: They live all over but most in TV live in Los Angeles.
Mia: Can we go see a producer tomorrow?
Me: Well, Los Angeles is far away.
Mia: Can we take an airplane?
Me: Sure. But maybe not tomorrow.
Mia: Why?
Me: Because you have to plan these things and that takes longer than a day.
Mia: Oh. Okay. We could also get there by holding onto birds really tight.
Me: I think I'd rather fly.
Mia: Well, tomorrow, I'll make a valentine for the producer. And you can mail it to him. Do you think he'd like a valentine?
Me: I'm sure he would. So you make it and I'll send it.
Mia: Okay. To Our Angeles.
Me: Los Angeles.
Mia: Lost Angeles?
Me: Kinda.
Mia: So, we'll go to Lost Angeles and give the producer the Valentine and he will like it so he will say come into my house and we will and we'll ask him about the Backyardigans.
Me: That sounds like an interesting plan.
Mia: Which Backyardigans is he?
Me: What?
Mia: Is the producer Pablo, Uniqua or Tyrone? Or maybe it's Tasha or Austin.
Me: No, you don't actually see the producer. He's not in the show. He just helps make the show.
Mia: Oh. I get it. Still I will make him a Valentine and he will like it very much.
Me: I'm sure he will.

And that is how I happen to have a Valentine (because, in Mia's world, Valentines aren't just for Valentine's Day but can be used year around) destined for Janice Burgess, executive producer of The Backyardigans. Depending on how far I humor Mia, it might also be the reason Ms. Burgess takes out a restraining order against me. That is, if we decide to travel to Lost Angeles.

When I was a kid, my dad handed me a stack of mass market paperback books and encouraged me to read them. I did. They were sci-fi books by Asimov and Heinlein and adventure novels by Clive Cussler. I loved them. So much that when I was twelve I wrote Cussler. He wrote me back. I also wrote Asimov. I later learned that he was really an ass so I shouldn't have expected a response. But when I was in high school, Asimov died. I don't know what got in to me but I found his wife's number - it was listed, I wasn't going all stalkery - in NYC and called her. After a respectful period of time, of course. We talked for half an hour. I still don't know why I did that but it makes for a good story.

This brings up a question - have you ever written to or run into anyone famous? And have you gotten a response?

Posted by Chris at March 19, 2009 7:36 AM
Comments

heh, funny..I was just preparing to write up my Celebrity Sighing during Mardi Gras post.

I've met Harry Connick Jr. many many times and he is always very gracious. Met Sean Payton(coach of the Saints), he was awesome and so friendly. And Patricia Clarkson...so beautiful in person.
Keifer Sutherland..eh...he's much shorter in person. Bam Margera, really sweet and funny. My son also wrote to him as part of a school assignment and Bam wrote back and sent several autographed pictures. I hear a lot that he is always really great to his fans.

I have a few more but you'll have to read my next blog post to see who they were! Working on it noW

Posted by: Lisa at March 19, 2009 7:58 AM

My father fitted Ted Williams for a suit once. LOL My dad's brush with fame. And Mike Lupica who is a writer, his mother I believe also worked with my dad so my dad always got a copy of his newest book autographed sent to him.

Anyhow actually my dad used to work with a woman whose son was the San Diego Chicken...he signed a picture for me when I was little and I got it framed and hung it in my room I thought it was the cat's meow!

My mother used to work for John Clayton who writes for our local newspaper now. LOL

Me, the only famous people I've ever been in close proximity too was that red headed chick from Melrose Place, Melanie Griffith whom we all walked in a charity walk in LA, and then I once saw Andrew McCarthy (Pretty in Pink) at the airport in LA back in the early 90's and then just recently when I got stuck in the Chicago Airport I was sitting next to Paul Lieberstein (Toby Flenderson on the Office) and then I took a picture with him and this other guy I met at the airport. He was very nice.

Posted by: Deirdre at March 19, 2009 8:50 AM

I met Paul of Peter, Paul & Mary when I was 16.

In my 20s I met the Indigo Girls and got to hang out backstage with K's Choice.

I have an autographed book that I was sent while in Afghanistan. The author's name is Deborah Ellis and we still correspond on a regular basis.

I've also met Harry Connick Jr., Dan Laroquette and Dan Ackroyd. Hazards of growing up in Louisiana and attending mardi gras. :)

I have to say, all of the people that I've met have been amazing. I never do the "OHMYGOD OHMYGOD" thing to celebrities. If given the chance to meet them, I try to let them know how much I enjoy their work and just talk to them like any other human being.

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at March 19, 2009 9:15 AM

in one night at the auto show, i met eric hipple (then the quarter back for the detroit losers) (oops meant to say lions)and...the man of my dreams... Ricardo Montalban (can you tell it was in the 80's? he was the spokesperson for the chrysler cordoba) he was getting his picture taken with people in the audience i usually don't make an ass of myself when seeing a celebrity but...it was the man of my dreams!!! i told the person i was with that i would wait 3 days if i necessary to get my picture taken with him...and i DID make a complete ass of myself but was chosen "next"... when i got up on the stage i prayed i wouldn't cry... i had the entire back of his suitcoat in my one hand... and he had my other cuz i was shaking so bad... it took 2 people to help me off the stage...(at first i forgot the picture!).. but i still have it today... we also got to call my mom from a lincoln long distance (it was all the rage)... when i told her i had my picture taken with ricardo... her first words were "did you cry?" and imagine when i got OUT of that lincoln seeing everyone laugh cuz they heard our whole conversation! one of my friends sent me a sympathy card when he died... oh... and i have joe lewis' autograph ... and i wrote to pat milliken (governor when i was 11) wanting to know why they took 5 days of tv for kennedy's funeral - hey i was 11!!! and i did get a response... which thrilled me for sure!!! oh...and i send things to this guy chris cactus... and i always see he gets like 74 "comments" and yet....he still always responds!!!! that is so cool!

Posted by: the unicorn at March 19, 2009 9:28 AM

I never did, but my brother corresponded with Dr. Seuss for years before his death. In fact, Dr. Seuss wrote some wedding vows for my brother (at his request) and included an original drawing of the Cat in the Hat that were read (and shown) at the ceremony. So Mia should definitely send a valentine to the Backyardigans :)

Posted by: Cassandra at March 19, 2009 9:38 AM

About a decade ago, the wrestler, British Bulldog, got injured and I wrote him a letter. He did actually write me back and I felt very special. :)

Posted by: Claire at March 19, 2009 9:45 AM

I got Highlights and when she's older? Cricket magazine is still awesome and I still have a stack of them that I'm saving for some young person in my life.

And damn straight, Valentines are not just for valentine's day.

Posted by: k8 at March 19, 2009 9:53 AM

When working at a carwash in Clearwater, Fl, years ago, I dried Evil Knievels' car. He tipped me $20.00 and told me I had a nice rear. Too funny!

When working at Hops Bar and Grill in Clearwater, FL in 1997 I waited on Tiger Woods and some other golfers after he won the Masters(?). All the other waiters and waitresses kept telling me how lucky I was to be waiting on him and the rest of that group and I had to ask them who the heck he was. I had no clue.

Back in elementary we were tasked with picking a former US President that was alive still and writing them a letter. I picked Jimmy Carter and he wrote me back on Presidential letterhead with the Presidential seal embossed in gold and the whole thing. The letter came to the school and I read it aloud infront of the class, I felt really special. Out of probably thirty kids I was the only one to pick Carter and the only one to get a reply. I've always wished he could of known what that meant to me.

My boyfriend and I ran a calender store in the mall about six years ago. One evening a large group of guys browsed the calendars and then one approched with a few in his hands, it was Dr. Dre. Funny thing is he wanted me to give him the calendars for free. I did not.

Thats it, so far!

Posted by: Kelly M. at March 19, 2009 10:53 AM

When I was about 5, we ran into Marie Osmond at the mall...no kidding, right there in the food court. Since i was five, I was star struck and asked for her autograph and she humored me. This must have been just at the tail end of the Donny and Marie phenomenon (and thank the gods that's over). Since I live in Las Vegas, I see Andre Agassi all the time- shopping, dining, at the now defunct Tower Records store and, most recently, with wife Steffi and the kids at the public library. People are really respectful and we never hassle him for autographs or pictures since he's a local. I got my autograph of him way back when we were both 18 at some public event when I was a tennis junkie. Now I just nod my head and go "Cool- Agassi eats here too."

Posted by: rebecca at March 19, 2009 11:37 AM

Nothing as cool as your convo with Mrs. Asimov, but:

When the Challenger exploded, I wrote to President Reagan and told him how sorry I was and he (his office, I guess) sent a nice thank-you back, I'm sure my Mom has it somewhere. I also stuck my tongue out at Ronnie Lott of the 49ers, they used to train in my hometown. While working at Ben and Jerry's in Malibu, I saw/took orders from Mel Gibson, Candice Bergen (sp?), Oliver Platt, Cheech Marin and maybe Kevin Bacon. I also almost ran over Axl Rose once. Minnie Driver said my daughter was cute. I asked John Waite out to dinner (he said no). Oh, and I met the Tubes and Dave Grohl at a show recently.

Posted by: Brooke Habecker at March 19, 2009 11:59 AM

I wrote to authors when I was in school, they also wrote back. :) I'd send the Valentine, to be honest.... I bet Ms. Burgess will get a kick out of it. :)

Hope you're feeling better!

Posted by: Hannah at March 19, 2009 12:18 PM

You called Asimov's wife? You've got BALLS, mister.

When you stalk the producer, ask her/him/it why Tosha and Austin always get stuck playing second fiddle. They're going to get a complex if they don't get more play.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 19, 2009 12:18 PM

Oh, and I saw Will Smith when I was in NYC last summer. From across the alley. :)

Posted by: Hannah at March 19, 2009 12:23 PM

I've led a pretty sheltered life:

* My mom is friends with a (lady who works for a) publisher in Toronto. One time she went out for drinks with Robertson Davies.

* One time I jumped on stage at a Bryan Adams concert. The guitarist grabbed me before I got to Bryan. Not sure what I would have done had I made it (it was a poorly designed stage & many fans did it that night.)

* I was on a plane once with Jake The Snake & Ted "Millionare Man" DiBiasi. I didn't have the nerve to go up to them & got my friend to get their autographs instead. Good times.

* I've left snarky comments on the blogs of some Very Famous Bloggers & three have replied back - two regularly. I imagine that it is because they had a personal policy to reply to every comment (and the capability, since I can't seem to do that on mine & have to do it "live"), which indicates (to me) that they are pretty decent folk. One even began *initiating* conversations (about stalking... but then kept doing it...) That's pretty cool. Did I mention I've led a pretty sheltered life?

Posted by: harmzie at March 19, 2009 12:35 PM

I've never written to anyone famous.

I used to have a lot of celebrity sightings when I worked at 30 Rockefeller Center because the SNL guests would rehearse during the week. I saw Eddie Murphy, Tony Danza, etc. In high school, my friend and I saw Prince on 34th Street and we followed him around for awhile. When I had a nightlife, I used to see celebrities at the clubs and restaurants. The only person I spoke to was Gordon Parks. He was humorous and I made an ass of myself.

Posted by: MariaV at March 19, 2009 12:38 PM

when i was in 4th grade i was absolutely, inexplicably IN LOVE with ralph macchio from the karate kid. i wrote him a letter at his fan club address and got a picture back in the mail. the signature was printed right on the picture. i was pretty disappointed that i didn't get a personal response considering how much i LOVED him. :)

Posted by: kati at March 19, 2009 12:44 PM

oh ps. a lot of famous people have come into the restaurant i work at in downtown portland. i even once brought a room service order to charlize theron and her two cocker spaniels.

Posted by: kati at March 19, 2009 12:46 PM

Hello from the France profonde and from a recent but fervent (?) reader.
At the end of 2004 (I'll try to make a long story short) I heard a man called Hervé Chabalier (boss of a TV producing company) talking about his book that was the story of how he had been an alcoholic for years and how he was now sober. I read his book and had an epiphany. Then I wrote to him, and not only did he answer me, but he even phoned me and encouraged me in going to AA. That's how I began a sober alcoholic too, and have been since. That is my only experience of getting in touch with someone more or less famous, but a very nice and important one to me.
Unrelated, I like to go through your blog and comments cause it gives me a different light about Americans and their way of life and thinking. Not that I always totally agree with you, anyway I like your sense of humor.

Posted by: viviane at March 19, 2009 1:18 PM

Frank White was a very popular and very good Royals baseball player when I was growing up, and he lived in my suburb. His son played in the same baseball league as me, and one day we ran into him. My mom asked him for his autograph and he said, "I'm here to watch my son today, but if you'll write down your address I'd be glad to mail one to you."

About two weeks later, a signed, glossy photo of Frank White arrived in the mail. Very cool, and extremely classy guy. We went ahead and named the new baseball/softball park after him. ;)

Posted by: Brad at March 19, 2009 1:30 PM

Chris, THANK YOU for reminding me about getting a Highlights subscription. I was going to and I forgot. I, too, LOVED it as a child.

Posted by: jessica at March 19, 2009 1:51 PM

When This Old House was on (the sitcom, not the home repair show) I wrote a fangirl letter to Shannon Doherty!!! I have no idea how old I was, pre-teen I guess. She sent back an autographed 8x10. I was so proud of that thing.

Posted by: Lisa at March 19, 2009 2:29 PM

When I was in school, I (literally) ran into Danny Ferry who played basketball for Duke at the time. I was walking into the weight room at the campus gym and he was coming from the other side of the doorway, and my face ran smack into the stinking sweating chest of this giant filthy sweaty guy.

It was the most disgusting thing that ever happened to me.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at March 19, 2009 2:53 PM

I have two celebrity run-ins. I really loved the comedian Richard Lewis when I was a teenager. One night, on a bored teenage whim, I decided to call the Improv in NYC and I asked to speak to him. They asked who was calling, and I said Laura from Virginia. I waited a few minutes and he actually came to the phone. I said that I really liked him and thought he was funny, and he said, "Thanks sweetheart, but I gotta go."

The other story is that Tina Fey was one of my wedding ceremony singers in 1989... WAYYY before she was famous. My roommate at UVA was a drama major and was friends with Tina, so I was only mildly acquainted with her. When I left school and got married, they agreed to come and sing at my wedding.

Posted by: LJ at March 19, 2009 3:30 PM

I have never written a celebrity, however given the line of work I'm in(entertainment) I've met a few

I have run into Regis Philbin, I mean right smack into him. I was in a time crunch, he was in my way, it was new years eve in Times Square, and I ran into him head on, on what I can only assume was live tv. He looked like a wax statue, he's so well preserved, and short. Anyway, he looked rather taken aback by a stagehand having run into him.

Little Steven from the E Street Band, is such a sweet sweet man. I was his crew for the day, and yet, he held doors open for me, and let me go ahead of him.

Lil Kim is an ass

Slash, is so out of it, he's neither nice, nor an ass. He could just care less

The Trogs (The guys who sang Wild Thing) are the sweetest old British men

And Rachel Ray is a caffeine addicted, chain smoking, crazy biotch.

Brian Stokes Mitchell is so nice, he thanked each crew member by name and position throughout the show.

And thus ends my lengthy comment on celebrity encounters

Posted by: Dani at March 19, 2009 5:06 PM

I have too many to recount, oddly, but if you want me to look into it, I can see if I can find an address for your Valentine to the producer in Lost Angeles. Let me know...

Posted by: alektra at March 19, 2009 6:08 PM

Very cute story. My cousin is married to a TV producer (not of a kid's show though), and I was going to offer him as a recipient if you hadn't mentioned another one!

I have written to several famous people and generally gotten some kind of response. My favorite was the letter that I got from Mr. Rogers.

Posted by: Sandy at March 19, 2009 6:38 PM

I wrote to many Thai celebrities in my past and got invited backstage for one and actually had a good relationship with a comedian too.

The best, however, is when I wrote to the King of Thailand when I was in kindergarten. He was sick so I wrote him a get well note, saying that he should take his medicine like the Queen told him to and that when he got better, I'd come play the piano for him.

His "secretary", as I knew it then, called me back to thank me and that the King would very much like to hear me play someday. I practiced really hard for months, just in case the King would call.

It turned out my letter was hand delivered to the Queen by a friend of my mom's who was one of her personal staff (ladies in waiting?). The King and the Queen really did read it, the aunty told me at my mom's funeral a couple of years ago. The piano part? That one my mom asked to have thrown in so I'd practice more. LOL.

Posted by: oakley at March 19, 2009 6:48 PM

When I was about 14, and again when I was 24, I wrote to Madeleine L'Engle. Both times she wrote back. :)

Posted by: Alison at March 19, 2009 7:50 PM

I wrote to the Queen of England once (I think it was part of a school project? But I don't remember, and of course I don't have the letter *I* sent) and got a reply from one of her Ladies-in-Waiting.

Posted by: Heather at March 19, 2009 8:24 PM

Years ago before blogging was a big thing I put up a list of books and music I liked. One of the authors of one of the books on my list…well his sister saw his name on my list and called him up. He checked out my list and dropped me an email. We still communicate occasionally. That kind author who contacted me and said he liked being listed with the likes of my musical tastes…..is Tod Goldberg. A very nice author who penned “Fake Liar Cheat”, the book on my top ten list he saw.
My husband works for a moving company. One day he moved a lady that turned out to be kris radish. He told her upon seeing her dozens of boxes of books that his wife (me) loved books. She signed one of her novels and sent him home with him for me. I contacted her via her website..to thank her and she was very gracious and told me my husband was wonderful towards her.
However, on the flip side I’ve been contacted by authors I mention and have been asked to go onto amazon and write praising commentary about their novels. Most authors google their names all day long trying to ascertain what people think of their work. I didn’t fake the amazon praise for that guy.

I worked for a restaurant in 1991 in Irving, TX called "Le' Peep". I encountered tons of well known Dallas Cowboy players. I was not impressed even though they always acted like I should have wet panties immediately.

And those are my limited encounters with people for whom I think are cool. My true love, Paul Westerberg…well I can’t bring myself to attempt to contact him because what if he’s having an asshole day and then thereafter I will think he’s an asshole surely every day. I can’t bring myself to hunt for him..even tho’ he doesn’t live in Lost Angeles.

Posted by: Kristy at March 19, 2009 9:13 PM

I once sent a birthday card to Pope John Paul II (because we shared the same birthday, not because I'm Catholic or anything) and I got one back the next year - probably not from him, but from someone at the Vatican anyway, and I was pretty proud of that.
I was friends at university in Scotland with Crispin Bonham-Carter (cousin of Helena, and actor in various bits and pieces) and Julian Gabriel (nephew of Peter), and in Paris once my friend Clare and I almost literally bumped into David Bowie and Iman buying luggage, with DB looking typical-male-bored-out-of-his-mind.
Think that's it - unless you count being friends with a professional French rugby player (not on the national team, just a 2nd division team) and almost being crushed to death at the age of 13 months by a famous (back then, anyway) British comedian called Tommy Cooper who was staying in the same hotel as my parents and I in Torquay...
I seem to have lived a very sheltered life...!

Posted by: Kirsty at March 19, 2009 10:09 PM

When my son was young (now 21), he wrote "McGyver", "Clarissa" of Clarissa Explains it all, The Sega Company and the author of the Bunnicula series. Only Sega and James Howe responded. Mr. Howes sent a very sweet handwritten note that we still have.

Posted by: rcat at March 19, 2009 11:10 PM

Funny, my husband had a correspondence with Heinlein many moons ago--between the two of you, you've got it covered.

Posted by: nrbp at March 20, 2009 1:28 AM

When I was 10, I was a BIG New Kids on the Block fan. I wrote them a letter, and months later, I got a flyer in the mail about how to get a membership to their fan club for a nominal fee. lol.

I did once email author Sarah Addison Allen after reading her debut novel (Garden Spells) because I loved it so much. She emailed me back, and I think a little dance and much squealing ensued.

I loved Highlights as a kid. I felt like such a grown up to have my own magazine. My favorite part were the cute jokes (What does a policeman put on his toast? Traffic Jam. hee hee) and Goofus & Gallant.

Posted by: Manda at March 20, 2009 1:54 AM

HIGHLIGHTS! Goofus and Grimus (or whatever their names were)-the good brother/bad brother! My favorite part of the magazine.
I love the valentine idea - I think people should send notes or cards to anyone, famous or not, that they admire or appreciate. I've done it and it makes me feel good.
I named my son Cody, after seeing Kathy Lee Gifford and her son on the cover of People when I was about 7 months pregnant. Long story but we couldn't decide on a name that went with "John" as the middle name and "Benson" the last. Has to flow people!
Fast forward five years later and I'm in NYC at a luncheon for ABC people and I get to have my picture taken with Kathy Lee and Frank! I got to tell them I had a son named Cody and how we named him. OF COURSE, I didn't have a picture of him because I had changed pocketbooks. But FRANK whipped two photos of Cody and Cassidy out of his suit breast pocket to show me!
More locally, and recently I sent an email to our morning local anchor to tell her how much I enjoyed her and her co-anchor and to wish her luck with her pregnancy and soon to be birth of twins. She responded and said it was the "nicest note ever" (I can hear her saying it) and appreciated it and it made me feel good.

Posted by: NancyJak at March 20, 2009 6:25 AM

I wrote the typical teen fan letters but never got responses. I did, however, run into Collective Soul at the airport the morning after one of their shows years ago. It was about 6am and they were incredibly gracious and talked with me and my friends for about 20 minutes before their plane boarded (my friend was actually on their flight). It was neat-o!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 20, 2009 9:26 AM

I live in Hollywood so I see/interact with celebrities on a pretty regular basis (oh, that sounds so stuck up. I'm sorry.) But, because I have a terrible habit of sharing my embarassing moments with everyone I know, let me tell you about my very first celebrity sighting, right after I moved to LA at the tender age of 20 :

I managed to wrangle tickets to the premiere of Bad Boys II, with Martin Lawrence and Will Smith. When my friend and I arrived, we were disappointed to see that Will Smith (OMGILOVEHIM) hadn't yet arrived. We lingered in the lobby for as long as we could, eating the free popcorn, but eventually we had to concede and go sit in our seats. The cast's seats remained empty even after the movie started. Disappointed, we settled in to enjoy the film.

After 15 minutes or so, all that popcorn started to get to me and I excused myself to go to the bathroom. The moment I stepped into the lobby, there HE was -- Will Smith, tall and suave and beautiful, with teeny, stunning Jada Pinkett standing next to him. They had their backs to me and were speaking to some man in a suit.

I lost my head. It's the only explanation. I stood, staring at him for a moment, and then suddenly -- oh, this is so embarassing -- I charged up to him, reached out my hand, and just....reverently laid it on his arm. For about ten seconds. Like he was a piece of the True Cross.

He turned toward me, obviously a bit wary of the speechless fangirl who had just started groping him. We made eye contact -- and I lost it. You guys, I started CRYING. Tears just started pouring down my face. I DON'T KNOW WHY.

Needless to say, I was HORRIFIED. I turned bright red and fled for the bathroom, where I hid for the next half an hour.

And that, my friends, is the story of my first ever interaction with a celebrity. You're welcome.

Posted by: Catherine at March 20, 2009 1:17 PM

About 7 years back, I worked at one of Houston's oldest and most popular live music venues. I got to meet all kinds of musicians and their crews. It was a pretty cool job - I got to help book the bands, review the contracts/riders, sell the tickets, set-up the dressing rooms, make sure the bands were happy, and then work the crowds during the shows. My husband was the house audio engineer, so it was great to work with him. We got to see all kinds of people come in and out of that place.....and we made some damn good friends. Some bands were awesome and some were complete assholes.

I will never forget one ass (Nash Kato) that became enraged that no one showed up for his "big night" so he trashed his dressing room and covered the place in wild turkey and blow. I had to clean that shit up. Nasty. To this day, I would still like to kick him in the ass for what he did to that backstage.

Posted by: Jen at March 20, 2009 1:18 PM

I've met several of the "Lost" cast members-Matthew Fox (I decorated a cake for him!), Henry Ian Cusick (he very generously donated about 5 hours of his time for a celebrity appearance at a fund raising event that we were having), and Elizabeth Mitchell (as a customer-she was very sweet!). I served Kid Rock and (his girlfriend?) ice cream at another fund raising event. They didn't realize the i/c was free and were very psyched when they found out and gave us a nice tip. When I was in high school, the Dallas Cowboys came into our restaurant-they must have been in town for some kind of exhibition game. I had no idea how huge professional football players are! I was engulfed in a sea of shoulders!

I did write a letter to George Strait once, but I don't think I ever got a response. :( Of course, I was asking him if he would consider playing for free at our wedding. LOL. Hey, no harm in asking, right?

I love that Mia wants to send a valentine to the producer-that's so sweet!

Posted by: Dreamybee at March 22, 2009 7:41 AM

I once wrote Fisher Price with a toy idea, when I was nine. They wrote me back with a letter and advanced promo material about a toy very similar to the one I suggested.

I wrote Donny Osmond. He didn't write back.

Posted by: Jodi at March 22, 2009 3:38 PM

I've always figured Clive Cussler to be a megalomaniac--he writes himself into every. book. I mean, Dirk Pitt gets stuck and some crusty old man with a twinkle in his astonishingly blue eyes shows up on a donkey and cryptically says something that ultimately unravels the whole mystery. And Pitt says, "Say, old man. I feel like I know you from somewhere. What's your name?" And the twinkly old man says, "Cussler. Clive Cussler."

WHAT KIND OF JACKASS DOES THAT?! It's why I quit reading his books.

Posted by: Casey at March 23, 2009 10:39 AM

I live in LA so I run into famous people all the time. None that I really care about though so no good stories here. I think the last famous person I saw was Mark McGrath at an In-N-Out drive-thru. Now that I think about it, I've seen a good handful of celebrities at In-N-Out...

Posted by: Rengirl at March 23, 2009 7:33 PM