April 3, 2009

The Weeklies #80

The Weekly State of Mind. Somewhat awake, very confused.

The Weekly Beer. Fire Rock Pale Ale. Seriously, best beer ever.

The Weekly Time Waster. Remember Assembler? I give you Assembler 3. Have fun.

The Weekly Read. Once again, Hard Case Crime comes through. The Vengeful Virgin by Gil Brewer is a perfect example of 1950's pulp fiction. It is wonderfully cheesy, incredibly predictable, and a whole lot of fun to read.

The Weekly Music. Since a buddy of mine turned me on to Gomez a few years ago, I've been hooked. Their early stuff was quirky, loose, rootsy. Their last album - How We Operate - took a mainstream, more polished turn. The indie fan inside hates to admit this but that more accessible album became my favorite Gomez album. Their latest - A New Tide takes a step or two back into the land of indie goodness while not losing the accessibility and pop flavor that made How We Operate so brilliant.

The Weekly iTunes Mix. I'm trying something new here. Let me know if you dig it. Follow the link to The Rude Cactus Weekly Mix

The Weekly Handy Little Gadget. I'm going to admit up front that I was given this product to review. That said, Roxio's Easy VHS to DVD is pretty darn awesome. Load the software, plug a VCR into your computer and, well, that's it. It's also great for burning old cassette tapes to CD. And I've literally got boxes of old cassette tapes that I haven't been able to replace with CDs. In most cases there are pretty good reasons for that. I mean, who needs a Yes cassingle of Owner Of A Lonley Heart with an exclusive 15 minute dance mix?

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Sham-Pow! ShamWow pitchman Vince Shlomi just got arrested. For beating up a hooker. What's next? That annoying British dude mowing down old ladies in the street? Billy Mays spree killing? But wait, there's more!

The Weekly Hypothetical. You can either see into the future on a continuous basis or never forget anything as long as you live. Which would you choose, and why?

Posted by Chris at April 3, 2009 6:27 AM
Comments

I'm staying away from your time-sucking computer games Mister -- I'm a time killer already without your help :)
LOVE Gomez! Love "How We Operate" but not so much their early(?) stuff I think. Limewire - I never know what I'm getting. I will have to check out their latest though because I get seem to remove Powderfinger from my car's CD and that was your recommendation which brings me to...
YES, I look forward to checking out your weekly mix! We agree on some stuff, not so much on some others but I love finding new music.

Posted by: NancyJak at April 3, 2009 7:14 AM

Can't I just die? I have no need to keep reliving the past, but the future scares me beyond words. It's been a trying week...I don't want to have to deal with either. Just give me a rope (or that gun you talked about yesterday)...

Posted by: Tera at April 3, 2009 7:46 AM

Who says you don't need Owner of A Lonely Heart and a 15 min dance mix...bite your tongue.

I pretty much have a mind like a steel trap so I already remember most things, but I don't know that I want to see into the future. I like living in the present.

Posted by: Deirdre at April 3, 2009 7:57 AM

I'm all for remembering. For those of you who can, you have no idea how frustrating it is not to remember.

Oh, Mr. Cactus, any words for a girl off to L.A.?

Posted by: alektra at April 3, 2009 8:13 AM

See into the future, for sure, how else am I supposed to learn from my mistakes! :-)

Tried the link...needs itunes installed...gotta switch computers. But I think it a great idea, like exchanging cassettes as kids! Thanks!

Posted by: steff at April 3, 2009 9:03 AM

Even though Vince got busted for beating on (or getting beat by) a hooker, I'd still buy a Slap Chop from him anyday! "You'll love my nuts!" - That's what he said ;)

Posted by: Michelle aka Tortellina Temptress at April 3, 2009 9:58 AM

My dad just got the Roxio software. He's having a little trouble with it, so I'm gonna go see if I can help him out next week.

That's a large reason for me flying all the way to the states. Because if he gets that fixed, then he can copy all of the Beatles Albums to CD for me.

He's got that stuff on cassette AND reel to reel!!!

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at April 3, 2009 10:04 AM

Never forget anything. I hold my memories (good and bad) very near. They've made who I am and will shape the future. I'd be a basket case if I knew what was coming next.

Looked at your mix and have a question. Gomez: good, yes?

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at April 3, 2009 10:27 AM

that gadget is brilliant!

Think anyone rents out casette and VHS players these days?

Can I borrow yours?

Posted by: Lisa at April 3, 2009 10:40 AM

I had never heard of Gomez until about 3 weeks ago when one of their songs was on a TV show I watch. I just ordered their new CD last night and am very excited to get it.

Posted by: Sarah at April 3, 2009 10:44 AM

who needs a Yes cassingle of Owner Of A Lonely Heart with an exclusive 15 minute dance mix?

You mean who wouldn't want it right? Greatest song ever! EVER!

Well, maybe not greatest, but it is pretty good! I was more fond of the a capella version of Leave It

Posted by: Jeff A at April 3, 2009 11:34 AM

Seeing into the future would take away from the suprise of life, so to speak. But remembering everything would be awesome. Think of it, you could be a brain surgeon or an astronuat or anythign else in the world you wanted to be and never forget anything you learned..........

Posted by: Kelly M. at April 3, 2009 12:02 PM

If I never forgot anything then I'd never lose anything b/c I'd remember where I put things. But if I never forgot anything then I'd also remember every single word from every single meeting I ever attended, every word from every song, commercial, cashier exchange, random conversations on the street...err, no thanks.

The future...it would be so hard to live in the present, and not much fun either. So no thanks to that one too.

But I WILL take a cassingle!! Woo hoo!

Posted by: jessica at April 3, 2009 12:19 PM

Does seeing into the future allow me to change it?
Meh, either way, I'd pick that option. I don't think I'd like to remember every single embarrassing moment in my life! I'd never want to face people again.

hehe... shamwow guy... not too shocked. that guy comes across so Type A in his commercials.

Posted by: Nenette at April 3, 2009 4:09 PM

I think the iTunes thing would be cool if I could get it in Canada :P
I'd probably go with seeing the future. There are a lot of things I'd like to forget.

Posted by: Heather at April 3, 2009 8:40 PM

I DO. I NEED A CASSETTE SINGLE OF OWNER OF A LONELY HEART WITH AN EXCLUSIVE 15 MINUTE DANCE MIX!

*cough*

Perhaps I've said too much.

Also, I enjoy the iTunes mix thing. I was just thinking how much I hate all my music. Or rather, I'm terribly terribly sick of it.

Posted by: Caleal at April 3, 2009 8:53 PM

Okay, I got to Level 17 of Assembler 3 before deciding to stop. I've saved the solution code so when I go back to it, the solution code better take me right back to where I left off. ;) This is a much better version.

That ShamWow guy always creeped me out -- now I know why. What a douche!

Posted by: coolchick at April 4, 2009 12:05 AM

Need to check out that Gomez.
I think I'm going to have to stop reading your blog on Fridays, between the books and the CDs it's starting to cost me a fortune.

Posted by: Nat at April 4, 2009 7:34 AM

I chose neither. Wow, those both would suck.

And iTunes USA doesn't like iTunes Canada. Which also sucks. :)

Posted by: Mr Lady at April 4, 2009 2:24 PM

If you are willing to buy a car, you would have to get the loans. Moreover, my brother usually uses a short term loan, which is the most firm.

Posted by: JillianWARE23 at March 29, 2010 2:48 AM