April 23, 2009

Sometimes You Just Have To Dance

As you are most likely well aware by this point - because I am bitching about it with the frequency of Larry King tying the knot (and yes, seriously, a Larry King reference is the best I could come up with in my sleep-deprived state) - I've got a big work thing that I'm pretty much working on day and night. How much? Let me put it to you this way. If I was getting paid hourly, I could afford to have all of you guys quit your jobs. We will form an island nation complete with a four star restaurant, topless beaches and man-servants. Getting a massage will be a daily requirement and full laundry services will be available at no extra charge. Because all of that would rock.

The problem? I'm not getting paid hourly. And my nose is slowly disappearing what with all the putting to the grindstone that I'm doing. And I need sleep, oh glorious sleep. (I worked until 1:15 this morning.) Sleep aside, being near the end of this thing has made me somewhat reflective (and sleepy). So I figured I'd share some Big Ass Work Thing Lessons Learned.

• Conference rooms get smelly when five or ten people essentially live in one for two weeks.
  • A steady diet of pizza, sandwiches and Chinese food (lather, rinse, repeat) gets very old after a while.
  • I do not understand the English language - saying it, comprehending it and most especially writing it - after a 12 hour day or 11:00 PM, whichever comes first.
  • There's something inherently cool about drinking beer at work.
  • You can make any sentence sound better by using words and phrases like impact, as such, robust, leverage, key, and integration.
  • Yet that sentence can still, surprisingly, say nothing.
  • Chairs should be better design to avoid raging cases of swamp-ass.
  • At some point, coffee no longer works. Even if it's robust.
  • Nothing beats taking an hour out of a hard work day, going home and dancing your ass off with your kids.

T-minus 36 hours...

Posted by Chris at April 23, 2009 8:07 AM
Comments

Hugs

Posted by: alektra at April 23, 2009 8:41 AM

It's the final countdooooown! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Good luck!

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 23, 2009 8:51 AM

I think Fraulein pretty much summed it up! And rocking out w/ the kids is most awesome! Enjoy your hard earned sleep after it's all over, you deserve it!

Posted by: Kris at April 23, 2009 8:56 AM

Yes, I think comfortable chairs should be there.Also nice espresso and perhaps cots to sleep on.
Hopefully it will all be over soon and there will be more dancing with Mia and Owen.

Posted by: Maribeth at April 23, 2009 9:02 AM

Dancing with children is the best panacea in the world.

Posted by: k8 at April 23, 2009 9:15 AM

We had margaritas last year to celebrate Cinco de Mayor. Good luck on those 36 hours! Oh - and send me a comment back so I can send you my address. I never win anything so this is sooooo cool!

Posted by: Heather at April 23, 2009 9:41 AM

Don't forget "Dynamic"!

Posted by: Arwen at April 23, 2009 10:19 AM

We should definitely look into that island... ;)
Glad you got some kid time in! Hope the rest of the project goes quickly :)

Posted by: Heather at April 23, 2009 10:30 AM

Sounds awful. Hang in there, is the non-stop working nearly over?

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at April 23, 2009 10:34 AM

"At some point, coffee no longer works. Even if it's robust."

This is very true. I feel compelled to tell you that continued massive consumption of coffee may eventually render all coffee ineffective for all time. I used to eat instant coffee in college and now I'm sorry. ;-)

Hang in there!

Posted by: MariaV at April 23, 2009 10:45 AM

At 2 AM last night, when I was cursing insomnia, I had a brilliant idea for your work malaise. You should totally do a coffee table book of cubicle life. Take the camera to work and get shots such as "Cold Chinese Food" and "Lounge Room Coffee...3 PM" and "Office Chair with Indentation" and, maybe, "Donuts Left Behind." I think you could make it work. Show the rest of the world the humanity-sucking sphere that is office work and let us other cubicle-dwellers get a chuckle at the irony.

Posted by: rebecca at April 23, 2009 11:39 AM

...counting down with ya...

Posted by: sue at April 23, 2009 11:42 AM

They do make office chairs that are comfortable, it's just that most companies are too cheap-ass to buy them for their employees. Sad, but true. (My office chair is actually the office floor. I sit on my floor with my two laptops - it's quite... nonprofessional looking. But it works).

Here's to the home stretch (and the island with man-servants, because somehow I've always known that I deserve man-servants).

Posted by: Sarah at April 23, 2009 12:39 PM

I've been following your big ass work thing with agreat deal of sympathy. My IT pro hubbie got involved in a Big Ass Work Thing in 2008. It was practically interminable. They would get to the 11th hour, he would have put in hours and hour, overnights, weekends for weeks, to have them say, "Oh, nevermind. We won't go live until next month. And let's change ..." I was pregnant with #2, so not like it was all easy going at home, either. Suffice it to say that he's on BP meds now. At 31. :D
Hang in there! If work was fun, they wouldn't pay us.

Posted by: kate at April 23, 2009 1:28 PM

Am I pathetic that the title of this post made me immediately think of Footloose?

Posted by: Shelly at April 23, 2009 1:28 PM

Larry King is married? There goes my Old Guy fantasy.

Dancing with your kids is awesome. I was whirling & twirling around with my son (3) last night when I realized the song was entirely inappropriate (I think it was something by the Pussycat Dolls. Doesn't matter which one). I managed to get over it & of course he didn't notice. He was laughing & giggling. Best noise ever.

Posted by: harmzie at April 23, 2009 1:54 PM

awww, you sound so tired. poor thing. it's almost over! you're almost there so you have to hang on for one more day! (assuming tomorrow it's over)

Posted by: La Petite Belle at April 23, 2009 3:38 PM

Back in the day when I was working in public accounting (read: corporate slave), my team and I would get together around 8pm and shotgun Red Bulls. Because shotgunning it is way more effective than just drinking it, and because we all wanted to show our mature, professional sides.

Just don't get it on the carpet, because you don't want to make the lingering take-out and sweat aroma any worse.

Posted by: Miss Em at April 23, 2009 4:05 PM

Whoppee! 35, 34 1/2... .

Posted by: Karen at April 23, 2009 9:24 PM

Mon WebMate amicale m'a conseillé de ReadThis blog. Il a dit qu'il offre une bonne ingormation dont j'ai besoin.sadfgds

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 4:16 AM