April 13, 2009

Easter (Or, The Sugar-Buzz Bunny Holiday)

The signs of a successful Easter? Happy, sugar-buzzed kids, a mouth full of potential cavities, exhausted family, more of that cheap fake grass than you can shake a stick at and a camera full of pictures. Mission accomplished at the Cactus-Fish house.

DSC_3954copysm.jpg

It's only over the past few years - since having kids, I guess - that I've started to recognize Easter as a really strong Candy Holiday. I mean, typically, you think of Halloween and Christmas as you number one and two seed Candy Holidays while most people sleep on Easter. And that's just wrong. I mean, no other holiday has such prevalence of chocolate covered marshmallow things. And honestly, when I die and reach the Pearly Gates, the roads of heaven will be paved with chocolate covered marshmallows and the rivers will flow with that marshmallow fluff stuff that I like so bad.

When I was a kid, my mom was a little on the health food nut side. As a result, when I was especially wee, I went on Easter egg hunts to discover eggs full of cheerios and raisins. I recall my dad being horrified. I was fine with it and thirty-some years down the road, I don't believe I was especially traumatized. Which is a good thing because that's almost precisely what we loaded Owen's eggs up with.

Easter prep started on Saturday night. Beth and I washed the eleventy dozen plastic eggs and filled them with assorted goodness (and raisins, decidedly not in the tradition of Easter goodness). Then we boiled enough eggs to make an omelet about the size of my car because on Saturday we discovered that Mia had a fiery passion for dyeing eggs. And then we drank.

Beth was up early Easter morning with the kids while I snored obliviously. When I awoke, Beth got the kids dressed while I sneaked into the backyard and hid eggs. On behalf of the Easter Bunny, of course. A little while later, Owen and Mia invaded the yard, collected their share of Easter goodness, headed inside and evaluated their haul. In addition to his raisins, Owen managed a few M&Ms. He was particularly pleased by this discovery. The combination of sugar buzz and early walking skills made him appear to be a slightly drunk hyperactive giggling zombie. It was pretty awesome.

Loaded with the appropriate amount of sugar, it was time to dye eggs. And that's what we did. And in the process, Mia dyed herself. Which is why she's somewhat blue. Once we'd attempted to return the kids to their normal color (and failed) we loaded them into the car and headed over to my parents' house where lots of family - including some we'd visited in Ohio last weekend - was there. By the end of the evening, the kids were wiped out and so were we.

How were your Easters? And in your opinion, what's the best candy holiday?

Posted by Chris at April 13, 2009 6:31 AM
Comments

Happy Easter, Chris!

I've been sick so I OD on The Closer.

We have to wait for holidays to have candy?!

Posted by: MariaV at April 13, 2009 6:53 AM

Unfortunately the Jews don't really have any good candy holidays. And I am not sure that hamentaschen on Purim remotely count.

Posted by: Country Girl at April 13, 2009 7:15 AM

Easter lunch was here as seems to be the norm for the last few years of holidays...I don't mind, this way I don't have to go anywhere!
We dyed 3 dozen eggs on Saturday night and managed to get rid of a dozen and 1/2. I'm looking at egg salad sandwiches for a week or so. Should give me the chance to OD on eggs.
I still make baskets for myself, husband and son. Everyone gets a little gift with their Jelly Bellies and malted milk balls.
I'm glad to see your Easter was a good one!

Posted by: NancyJak at April 13, 2009 7:50 AM

I think Halloween is the best candy holiday, when else can you go out and fill up a pillowcase full of candy by merely begging at your neighbors door.

Easter is my 2nd favorite holiday, its the beginning of spring or maybe because I get two because I'm half greek so we celebrate both american easter with my dad's family and orthodox easter with my mom's. YUM!

Posted by: Deirdre at April 13, 2009 8:04 AM

Posted by: Deirdre at April 13, 2009 8:04 AM

Posted by: Deirdre at April 13, 2009 8:07 AM

Oops apparently I needed to say that 3 times...computer hiccup...sorry!

Posted by: Deirdre at April 13, 2009 8:11 AM

Our Easter was quiet. No candy here for this Weight Watcher. But I did make an awesome New England Clam dip that Hubby ate with chips and I ate with celery and carrots. Then the traditional lamb, roasted potatoes and asparagus was had! YUM!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 13, 2009 8:40 AM

I have to say that Easter candy far outranks the other holidays' simply because of Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, the greatest holiday candy invention in history. I've tried the Christmas tree and pumpkin versions, but the egg is just the best.

Posted by: Leah at April 13, 2009 8:40 AM

I prefer Easter as the best candy holiday because I know where it came from! While obviously the kids enjoy the Halloween as the best candy holiday because of how they capture it, dressed up, and running wild. :-)

Easter was good 14lb ham, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, scalloped cheesy potatoes, rolls, and one beer for me! With a short car ride to see my Gram and bring her some left overs.

Posted by: steff at April 13, 2009 9:23 AM

Oh, I still gotta go with Halloween. Mainly because I'm a chocolate hound. All of this gummy non-chocolate candy rots the brain! ;)

We had a great Easter. Good family day.

Posted by: Brad at April 13, 2009 9:24 AM

Well, while I admit that Easter is #1 when it comes to the marshmallow themed candies (including the abomination that is the Peep), I'd have to rank the candy holidays thusly:
1. Halloween - multiple people giving you candy for no other reason than because you put a bedsheet over your head and rang their doorbell. Plus, the volume of candy is pretty high
2. Christmas - not that the amount of candy received/eaten on December 25 is that great, but the candy starts to flow when the Christmas season begins (sometime around Labor Day it seems), so in total, the amount is pretty high.
3. Easter - the only time of the year when its acceptable to eat candy replicas of things that are considered healthy the rest of the year (e.g., eggs, beans). There's a fair amount of candy, but you typically have to buy your own (no bedsheets), and the season doesn't last for half a year (XX # of shopping days until Easter?)

Posted by: J at April 13, 2009 9:31 AM

Easter was pretty low key. Daya didn't get any candy (we needed a break from candy), but she did get animal crackers. We dyed eggs while I made a half-ass attempt to explain the Pagan roots of Easter and Ostara the Spring/fertility goddess. Daya did not care, she was more interested in spilling the egg dye. When the eggs were all pretty and colorful Daya ate three of them in about 5 minutes and still complained she was hungry.

Posted by: jessica at April 13, 2009 9:59 AM

Easter ranks pretty high on the Candy Holiday list for no other reason than Cadbury Eggs. I wait all year for their creamy/chocolately goodness. And then there's Halloween.....nuff said.

Posted by: Kris at April 13, 2009 11:06 AM

We didn't celebrate this year because the kids were away, my son had a birthday last week (and he's one, so he doesn't give a crap), and my husband is an atheist. So it seemed silly to have a holiday just for me. But my Mom sent the kids plastic egg-chicks with $5 inside, and my husband happily (and I don't mean that ironically) recalled memories of Easter Past when his parents gave him a protractor and a graphing compass, for Christ's sake. Oh, wait....

Posted by: Brooke Habecker at April 13, 2009 12:31 PM

What a cute pic :)

Easter is so much fun when kids are little. When they are older it's still fun, but instead of dying eggs they talk about setting Peeps on fire with a blowtorch.

And they prefer cash in their basket, along with a pile of candy.

By the way to answer your question, I like Halloween as my fave candy holiday. There's less family/religious obligation. (Lololol)However, I like the actual CANDY of Easter better.

Posted by: scatteredmom at April 13, 2009 1:35 PM

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I could go on.

Too cute! What a beautiful family.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at April 13, 2009 2:07 PM

Easter is done so many different ways, we dye the eggs and leave them in a bowl next to a basket of carrots for the bunny to hide. I called my mom to ask her if she got up early in the morning to hide eggs or did she gamble with our health and hide them the night before. She said the night before and no one ever got sick, so I carry on the tradition.....Easter was mellow and wonderful and one of the few "candy" holidays where I eat the candy. Peanut butter chocolate eggs, and robins eggs and wine....The rest of the family ate ham

Posted by: shannon at April 13, 2009 9:26 PM

Back from a long hiatus just in time to see a wonderful family Easter portrait. Happy belated Easter Chris.

Posted by: Heather at April 14, 2009 5:16 PM

That is a really great picture of you all. You have a beautiful family. I think you're right, Easter is all about that candy. I don't really consider Christmas candy, but rather cookies and baked things. Easter has got to be a close second to Halloween. I'm with you though on the chocolate covered marshmallow eggs. They are delicious!

Posted by: Dianna at April 14, 2009 10:39 PM