April 27, 2009

How The Weekend Flew

This weekend? It was busy. Before I wander off in my jammies to get another cup of coffee - because I'm totally taking the day off in the wake of that Big Work Thing, now called The Big Work Thing That's Finally Over - allow me to illustrate.

Just shy of ten years ago, my buddy Scott came to our wedding. There he met Julie, one of Beth's oldest friends and a bridesmaid. They got married and now they've got two insanely cool kids. Though they don't live on the opposite side of the planet, we don't see each other enough. Luckily we got to hang with the four of them on Friday afternoon.

DSC_4017copy_SM.jpg

We played in the backyard, got covered in sand, ate Indian food and tried to catch up for all the time we've missed with each other. In doing so, I made an interesting observation - with true friends, you can pick up where you left off, no matter how long you've been absent from one another.

We spent Saturday just hanging out and doing things around the house. We replaced a malfunctioning kitchen faucet, bought a new ceiling fan (not yet installed), hit the grocery store to restock and mowed the yard. Then we passed out, exhausted.

On Sunday, Beth and I undertook a secret mission. Once the kids were at my parents' house, Beth and I got in the car and drove three hours to West Chester, Pennsylvania. What's in West Chester, Pennsylvania? you ask. Marshall. See, Marshall was appearing at Chester County Books & Music Company and we couldn't resit dropping in on him unannounced. Because we've known him for, like, a year and a half but we've never met him in person. And he was a bit surprised. He was speaking to the assembled group, mid-sentence, when he saw us and said what the hell are they doing here? We hung out, caught up, and had lunch then made the long hike home. But the trip was totally worth it because it was a hell of a lot of fun and Marshall's good people.

SDC10180%20copy_SM.jpg

Now it's Monday and I'm taking the day off. I deserve it, what with all the crazy-ass hours I worked.

Posted by Chris at April 27, 2009 7:56 AM
Comments

For the first time in recent memory, I'm happy that it is Monday. My yard beat me up this weekend and I am exhausted from all the yardwork. :-)

That is an awesome photo of the three of you.

You definitely deserve the day off. Have a great one.

Posted by: MariaV at April 27, 2009 8:18 AM

You were in my neck of the woods. Kinda. Thats the place I went to see Brad Meltzer.

Posted by: William at April 27, 2009 8:20 AM

OMG, I'm sitting here grinning like an idiot because you got to meet Marshall finally. That is so awesome!!! Was he as suave and handsome in person as you imagined him to be??

Enjoy your well deserved time off.

Posted by: Shelly at April 27, 2009 8:22 AM

SO glad you get the day off after that huge work thing that is finally over. Totally deserved.

It rained all weekend here. Stupid Chicago.

Posted by: caleal at April 27, 2009 8:25 AM

So glad you have some time off! Much deserved, that's for sure. You are correct about it being easy to pick up where you left off with old friends. I only talk to one of my best friends about once a month or so (busy lives and all that), but there's none of that awkwardness to it. It seems like when he calls, we just continue our conversation where it had left off previously, even it was weeks ago. Awesome that you guys got to see Marshall. Love the picture!

Posted by: js at April 27, 2009 8:27 AM

I think it's awesome that you and Beth went to PA and what's even more awesome is that you completely and utterly surprised Dad. I think it's hard to shock him sometimes...I just wish I was there to see the look on his face (and meet you and Beth of course!).

As for old, good friends - couldn't agree more. Seeing my old and good friends this weekend and I know it will be like no time has passed at all.

Enjoy your day off!

Posted by: Country Girl at April 27, 2009 8:49 AM

I love that you have taken a much deserved day off and double love that you met Marshall. That must have been awesome!
We have friends back in California that we only see ever couple of years but when we do, it's like we'd only seen them the day before. It's great to have friends like that.
Enjoy your day offf!

Posted by: NancyJak at April 27, 2009 8:57 AM

Aww, I'm glad you guys got to meet Marshall. Enjoy your (well-earned) day off!

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 27, 2009 9:03 AM

That's funny because after reading all three of your stories, I struck me as odd that you hadn't actually met in person, and it was bugging me all weekend. OK, so it crossed my mind once or twice. But it's great that you did! Nice pic!

I wanna know what you talked about for six hours in the car after not seeing each other for freakin' ever! I am assuming it's not all unsuitable for public consumption. I mean, six hours...

Posted by: harmzie at April 27, 2009 9:49 AM

Sounds like a fun filled weekend! Totally awesome that you finally got to meet Marshall! Enjoy your day off, you've most certainly earned it ;)

Posted by: Kris at April 27, 2009 10:54 AM

That's a really awesome thing to do. I bet it was fun. You two look great, too.

Posted by: Brad at April 27, 2009 11:30 AM

I actually have some room on my new spine bookshelf for his book. I'll have to add it. I also finally cleared off my messy side table because I bought this...

LOVE is not a strong enough word for how I feel about this spine bookshelf. Enjoy your day off.

Posted by: Kristy at April 27, 2009 11:45 AM

Posted by: Kristy at April 27, 2009 11:46 AM

you definitely deserve a day off! or a week :P I'd say it's more like a week, but then I can't really control your bosses. I'll work on that ;)
Very cool about finally meeting Marshall :)

Posted by: Heather at April 27, 2009 12:36 PM

Very cool - that's the kind of thing HE would have done to surprise YOU. I know who Country Girl is, too. Hahahaha! My geography is all messed up; you can get to PA from DC in 3 hours?

Posted by: rpm at April 27, 2009 12:38 PM

Nice picture! I bet he was thrilled you dropped in on him.

Posted by: Sarah at April 27, 2009 1:06 PM

I purchased and read Flipping Out on Saturday. Thanks for hooking us up, Chris, and Marshall, thank you for the entertainment!

Posted by: Pat at April 27, 2009 3:10 PM

*snap*
I was totally thinking about driving down to West Chester for the signing, but it was so nice out hubby and I decided to tackle the back yard.

Posted by: Lisa at April 27, 2009 5:41 PM

Love Beth's dress. Please ask her where she got it.

Posted by: Kalisa at April 27, 2009 7:23 PM

Awesome!! Glad your HUGE project is done. Glad you got a break. Glad and jealous you got to meet Marshall!!!!!

Posted by: Lesley at April 27, 2009 9:15 PM

Yeah for the end of The Big Work Thing!!

I have one of those super-good friends - she just called me last week and, though we hadn't talked in over a year, it was like no time lost. Isn't that one of life's precious gifts?

Posted by: kate at April 27, 2009 9:46 PM

So cool you guys got to meet finally!

Oh and you know your crazy Big Work Thing. As you may recall I'm a secondary school math teacher. I have that EVERY WEEK. And I bet I get paid a fraction of what you do. I'm so glad your Big Work Thing is over, but I have to keep working those hours until June, when I can fall down dead from exhaustion and no one will care! Yay!

Also, husband works 12 hour days and is out of town on business for the next 3 weeks. Yay single parenthood!

Anyhow... that turned out a little differently than I intended. Yay to sanity back in the workplace and family time!

Posted by: Jacqueline at April 28, 2009 2:17 AM

what a cute, adorable picture. You and your wife and cute as buttons. LOL

Posted by: La Petite Belle at April 28, 2009 10:51 AM

Awesome you got to meet him! Glad you got to enjoy your weekend!

Posted by: Nadine at April 29, 2009 2:10 AM

That's some weekend! West Chester is a stone's throw from the town we live in. You got a really hot day. But it sounds like you had a great time.

Thanks for the pictures.