April 14, 2009

Easter Weekend Walk: A Photo Essay

Over the weekend, Mia, Beth Owen and I took a walk. Mia went scavenging. When she noticed that I had a camera with me, she appointed me her accomplice. When she stumbled upon anything interesting she said, "Daddy take a picture!" So I did. I think you'll agree this is riveting stuff.

walk_bee.jpg
A smooshed bee. Which is, incidentally, the only kind of bee Mia seems to feel comfortable with. She claims she loves them then promptly freaks out whenever one comes within, oh, about a hundred yards of her. Then she shrieks like a little girl. But she is a little girl so she can get away with it.

walk_worm1.jpg
Worm. Not sure how creative a description I can come up with here. It's a dead worm.

walk_gum.jpg
For a minute Mia thought she'd gotten lucky and come up with bird poop. But upon closer inspection, it turned out to be gum. Sadness.

walk_birdpoop.jpg
I call this particular still-life Bird Poop With Stick. Pretty catchy, huh?

walk_worm2.jpg
Another worm. It was, apparently, not a good day for worms.

walk_manhole.jpg
Manhole seems like a sexist term to me but I suppose womanhole would be worse.

walk_petals.jpg
Spring snow. It's been a little windy this spring. And when the petals fly, Mia asks me if it's snowing. It's not but it sure is prettier and much easier to clean up.

walk_shoestring.jpg
Shoestring, unstrung.

walk_worm3.jpg
Yes, another worm. What is this, mass wormicide? Did someone pass out little tiny glasses of worm Kool Aid? I mean, it could be a cult. They're all wearing the same thing...
walk_telecom.jpg
Here there be telephone lines.

walk_poop.jpg
The holy grail of this walk, if you will, dog crap. It's wee, most likely from one of those little yippy dogs.

By the end of the walk, Mia had accumulated two plastic newspaper delivery bags filled with stuff - leaves, flowers, sticks and pine cones. Luckily she left the formerly living dead things and poop on the sidewalk where they belonged. Because, as the saying goes, it's always better to have a picture of poop than poop in a bag.

Okay, that's not a saying but it totally should be.

Posted by Chris at April 14, 2009 6:58 AM
Comments

I'm thinking that these pictures show the difference in age groups. Had you taken a teenager, I think the pictures would have been very different.

Posted by: cassie-b at April 14, 2009 8:26 AM

I love how non-squeamish she is. And that you took a picture of poop for her! You're such a good dad. :-)

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 14, 2009 9:13 AM

eww. eww. and eww.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at April 14, 2009 9:15 AM

You are such a wonderful Dad!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 14, 2009 9:19 AM

Excellent photo essay. When I happen to have the camera with me, I end up with a bunch of silly-face pictures.

As for "manhole" our Standard Construction Specifications still call it that. I suppose just "hole" is a little too generic, and "service access" is just a little too PC & bureaucratic. (I'd fight it, but that would get me labeled as "THAT Bitch" - I mean, even moreso) (Plus, I live in MANitoba, so it would be an uphill battle) (PLUS, you wouldn't catch ME dead in one of those claustrophobic shit-holes, so if that's what keeps me safe from going down there, we're cool).

Posted by: harmzie at April 14, 2009 10:21 AM

Why is it that the grossest stuff is the most fascinating? Nice glimpse into the mind of a kid.

Our snow is 80% gone and it's in the upper 40s, it might be time for a walk of our own.

Posted by: Lisa at April 14, 2009 10:25 AM

Ahhhhah. Womanhole would be just fine. It's all about equal opportunities around here.

Posted by: Surfer Jay at April 14, 2009 11:22 AM

Posted by: Surfer Jay at April 14, 2009 11:22 AM

Posted by: Surfer Jay at April 14, 2009 11:22 AM

i love this post. mia is so cute. i would not mind more of these walks :)

Posted by: kati at April 14, 2009 11:32 AM

The squished bee picture makes me sad.

Posted by: jessica at April 14, 2009 1:29 PM

It looks like there are more worms in that dog crap. Cult indeed.
Also, wouldn't it be great if signs everywhere had pirate-speak like that? "Arrrrrr, don't dig through the powerlines! Thar be no treasure heaaaar!"

Posted by: MissFae at April 14, 2009 1:47 PM

Awesome!! Sounds like Mia and my two girls would clean up quite well together on a walk. We also collect "treasures" on our walks so I came up with "Nature Jars" for each girl. A flower pot for each of them, by the garage (OUTSIDE - Important so you don't get mites from bird feathers!) to "Save" the goodies. Sometimes we wear gloves and do "trash walks" to clean up as well.

Posted by: marylea at April 14, 2009 2:08 PM

womanhole. I love you for saying that.

Posted by: k8 at April 14, 2009 8:18 PM

Your daughter cracks me up! And yes, I also think that man hole is a bit better than woman hole. Eek!

Posted by: Dianna at April 14, 2009 10:43 PM

Sounds like someone's daughter is vying for a new macro lens, and I think it would be wrong to deny her. (I'd get one for my daughter as long as she'd let me use it sometimes... And she's 4, so how often would it really end up being tied up?)

Posted by: rpm at April 15, 2009 12:38 PM

When my now 21yo son was young, he came running into the house to say, "Come see, I found a dead mouse." Not sure what the big deal was, I went out with him. As he proudly pointed to it, he said, "I've never seen one with its head still on!" Needless to say- we had cats....

Posted by: rcat at April 15, 2009 11:49 PM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 5:05 AM