April 17, 2009

The Weeklies #82

The Weekly State Of Mind. Wiped out.

The Weekly Hours Worked. After today's done, about 70 hours. Yeah, that's a lot.

The Weekly Television Show I Finally Discovered Years After Everyone Else. Good Eats.

The Weekly Read. I loved Barry Eisler's John Rain series about a strangely sympathetic assassin. I was pretty jazzed when I stumbled on a copy of his latest - Fault Line - at Costco. I hate to say it was a let down. Eisler's good, don't get me wrong. But Fault Line doesn't show how good he is. It's the story of two brothers, polar opposites, one of whom gets involved in a fairly wide-reaching conspiracy and taps his brother to bail him out. Fine. You can see what's coming - the disagreements, even violence, long pent-up anger between the two. It was predictable. It was made even worse by the fact that, despite the fact that they're the main characters in the novel, neither are at all likable. At a couple points in the book I was kinda thinking oh, hell, if they'd both just get killed, they'd be far less annoying. Bottom line - check out Eisler but start with his John Rain series. Then if you're still jonesing for more, pick this one up.

The Weekly Thing I Said Out Loud That I Shouldn't Have. This at a school fundraiser at Chuck E. Cheese's last night when Beth came back with Owen and a shit-load of tickets.

Beth: Look what we got!
Me: Wow, who'd you have to blow to get all those?
Beth: Um. You could have said that quieter.
Me: Oops, inner monologue sneaking out.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. If you've been keeping up with my Twittering, you know that I've been working well into the night lately. So I invite you all to use me as the schadenfreude for the week.

The Weekly Hypothetical Which May Or May Not Be A Real Life Scenario I've Encountered This Week. You get home from work around 12:45 in the morning. Is it appropriate to crack a beer and, if so, is it okay to take said beer to bed with you?

Posted by Chris at April 17, 2009 6:30 AM
Comments

Yes and No. Yes, because it would relax me and make it easier for me to fall asleep if I was wound up.
No on a personal level because if I did, I'd have to go to the bathroom during the night and when I got up I'd have to look at the clock and when I looked at the clock I'd count how few hours I have left to sleep and then that would make it hard to go back to sleep and before I know it my alarm clock would be going off.

Posted by: NancyJak at April 17, 2009 7:31 AM

My second child was conceived after a midnight beer!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 17, 2009 7:31 AM

There's something both funny and sad about taking a beer to bed with you :P

Posted by: Heather at April 17, 2009 7:45 AM

I would keep a dorm fridge next to the bed so I can have a 24 pack of beer in bed!

Welcome to the good eats club, Alton is a fascinating host.

Posted by: Jeff A at April 17, 2009 8:17 AM

Why the hell not, Life is too short not to drink beer in bed!

Posted by: Deirdre at April 17, 2009 8:19 AM

I think of you every day Chris Cactus, when I take my beer to the shower with me. Why do I think of you? Because you are horrified by consuming anything in the bathroom (do I remember this correctly?).

So I LOL everyday with my beer in the shower and YOU!

Posted by: Stella at April 17, 2009 8:31 AM

Our Chuck E Cheese serves beer!

I see no problems taking a beer to bed.

Posted by: Lisa at April 17, 2009 8:48 AM

Hmm...maybe the fact that book is sold at Costco would be indication that it possibly isn't that good, but then again I've never purchased books from Costco, so I don't know the type of selection they have!

Ah, and yes, having a beer before bedtime is quite acceptable. Especially if you're having that beer in the shower. There's nothing more refreshing than a cold beer in a steamy, hot shower! *AAAHHHH*

Posted by: Michelle aka Tortellina Temptress at April 17, 2009 9:08 AM

Alton Brown is fantastic and Good Eats just might be the best show on the Food Network. So creative and witty!

Oh and if they rerun his other show "Feasting on Asphalt," it's worth checking out. He took a small camera crew and traveled cross country on motorcycles, stopping to eat at "roadhouses" along the way. And when they were encountered one area where I guess they couldn't find a restaurant worth featuring, they instead boarded a retired couple's RV and Alton cooked breakfast for them. Not the type of series I'd typically tune in for, but it was really good -very funny and interesting.

Posted by: erin at April 17, 2009 9:19 AM

Beer in bed, yes. Beer in the shower, hell to the NAW because consuming anything in the bathroom is about eight different kinds of wrong.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 17, 2009 9:39 AM

God yes, to both questions.

I couldn't believe it when you tweeted the other night that you were still at work at almost midnight. But uh...I guess you beat traffic?

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at April 17, 2009 10:14 AM

We LOVE Good Eats... we even have it on TiVo, that's how much.

Weekly hypothetical: yes and no. You know you'd just regret waking up with beer breath in the morning if don't brush your teeth after the beer. At least, I'm sure Beth would make you regret it.

Posted by: stephanie at April 17, 2009 10:24 AM

Of course it's okay. Who's gonna know? (Besides all of us, now!)

Posted by: Stephanie at April 17, 2009 10:59 AM

I love Good Eats! It's not just a regualr cook something and eat it, you can actually learn something about your food which I think is kind of neat. It is totally appropriate to have a beer at 12:45am after a long day, if you can stay awake that long. Hope you can have a relaxing weekend and take a breath.

Posted by: Dianna at April 17, 2009 11:04 AM

Yes, it is entirely appropriate to open a beer when you get home from work that late. As for taking it to bed with you? As long as the wife doesn't object, go for it.

I have been known to take one into the bathroom with me to sip on while showering before a night out. I'm probably not the best person to answer that question. Whoops.

Posted by: PSY at April 17, 2009 11:23 AM

I prefer liquor, as it's quicker - but sure. I have often taken my drink of choice to bed with me. Last night, in fact . . .

Posted by: Mindy at April 17, 2009 11:46 AM

Yes as long as you are not getting a beer belly. :)

YAY I am off to LONDON tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jessica at April 17, 2009 12:42 PM

I often take beer to bed with me--a book and a beer. Just don't spill any on your wife. That never goes over well.

Posted by: Gramps at April 17, 2009 1:01 PM

Yes. Perhaps mandatory.

Posted by: Mr Lady at April 17, 2009 1:11 PM

we are huge fans of Good Eats. huge!

Posted by: ali at April 17, 2009 1:51 PM

It's a requirement. Anytime you arrive home from work more than two hours after you planned on being home, you MUST have a beer. Yes, sleeping with it is optional.

Good luck, sir. I've had several weeks where I hit my 40 hours by Wednesday and wanted to go ahead and call it a week. I wish you a quick and successful end to your project.

Posted by: Brad at April 17, 2009 2:02 PM

Yes, on the beer!

My hubby fell asleep with his beer in hand in bed once (after a late work night..) having cold beer spilt on you in the middle of the night is not a pleasant way to wake up.. so If you do bring the beer to bed with you, just be sure that you are awake enough to actually finish it!

Posted by: Molly at April 17, 2009 4:03 PM

Oh yes to beer in bed. On weekends I often retire for the night with a glass of wine and a book. And as for the don't consume anything in the bathroom? Pshaw. I like to take the odd Joan Collins bath (as my old room-mate used to call them) wherein I relax in a hot bubble bath with candles lit, trashy magazine/novel to hand, a glass of wine and some good chocolates. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: alison at April 17, 2009 4:15 PM

Total forgot what the questions was...
Beer at midnight is ok. In bed too as long as you spill because then it really stinks.

I love Good Eats. Alton's omelet tutorial works btw, (can't remember if you eat eggs.) He also did one called, Dining on Asphalt... which is a cross country treck eating local food which is also really cool.

Posted by: Nat at April 17, 2009 8:36 PM

I stand corrected, it's called Feasting on Asphalt.

Posted by: Nat at April 17, 2009 8:38 PM

(3) [swoon] Alton Brown. Food + Nerds = He's my secret crush

(5) Just wait til your daughter (or son) says that thinking that's just what you say when you mean "wow!"

(6) I get no joy, shameful or othewise, from your ass-kicking project.

(7) I once fell asleep (I stand by that) for a couple of hours with a full plastic beer cup resting on my stomach without spilling a drop. That was a long time ago. Now I often bring a glass of wine (red too!) to bed with me to read. I put it down on the night table after every sip.

Posted by: harmzie at April 17, 2009 9:17 PM

well, i have taken a few pints of beer to bed in my time, so i say yeah, absolutely. why not be comfortable? many people take tea and cookies to bed, so why not a cold one!

now, if you start taking the two four up there, well, there could be a problem. hee hee

Posted by: raino at April 17, 2009 10:02 PM

Wow Chris, working hard! :) Get some sleep already. With the beer.

Posted by: scatteredmom at April 18, 2009 3:16 AM

Def okay, add some peanuts and you have a party in bed!

Posted by: Tera at April 18, 2009 4:17 AM

Only if you bring one for Beth. If she chooses to continue sleeping, then yay...more beer for you. And you were thoughtful, so she can't complain.

Good Eats is terminally awesome.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 18, 2009 1:11 PM

'Why the hell not' and 'yes'. My recommendation on the second portion is to maybe put it in a sippy-cup in case you crash out halfway through - then it won't spill.

Posted by: MissEm at April 20, 2009 2:38 PM