May 5, 2009

Jon and Kate Plus H8

When Jon and Kate Plus Eight first aired, Beth and I tuned in. First, we were curious. I mean, eight kids? That's insane. Second, it made us feel a little better about parenting. After all, at the time, we only had one kid running around. Watching someone deal with eight made our lives seem relaxing by comparison. Schadenfreude at it's finest. After all, they really came off like level-headed people who were trying to do their very best to parent. The cameras in their living room seemed like an after thought. The whole thing seems genuine.

But then two things happened.

Kate - the mom for those of you not in-the-know - revealed herself to be an uptight, OCD germaphobe who refused to let her kids get even remotely messy. At some point, from what we were presented on the show (which admittedly, isn't the whole story), it seemed like the personal choices she made for herself began to interfere with her kids being kids. At least in my humble opinion. Sure, it's a small thing and a personal choice but it seemed silly to me. More accurately, I found it fucking annoying.

Then all the free stuff they were getting took center stage. Look, I really can't fathom how much it costs to raise eight kids. Raising two is expensive enough. I don't begrudge anyone taking advantage of help. But it pisses me off when a reality show morphs into a haven for product placement just shy of an infomercial for whatever free stuff they landed that week. It seems that every show is devoted to a product, every five minutes there's a cutaway to a product with a slightly out of context riff about how awesome said product is. All they're missing is the 1-800 number and Billy Mays.

If you've paid attention to the headlines during the past week - and I have absolutely no clue how this nugget counts as news but somehow it does since it's everywhere - you know that husband Jon was caught leaving a bar with - OMFG - a woman who wasn't Kate. Despite the fact that Jon claims this was totally innocent and has apologized for the event even raising the possibility of impropriety, everyone's up in arms. But, uh, why exactly?

Follow me here. The earth's population is somewhat evenly divided between males and females. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine the odd occurrence of a man going out for a drink with a woman. Innocently. I'd even go so far as to say that hey, let's go out for a drink doesn't automatically translate to hey, let me put my little general into your hoo-ha. So I'm troubled by the attention this got. Because (a) it's stupid and the polar opposite of newsworthy and (b) it presupposes that men are just unfaithful, untrustworthy assholes.

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I want to slam the show because I think its stupid and bogus. The longer it continues, the further from reality it gets. The genre would be better served by a name like Self Serving Gratuitous Marketing Of Free Shit and Kid Fucking Up Television. And these people should expect backlash - for the free shit, for subjecting their family to this, for living so publicly. They should be the last people surprised that there was someone with a camera pointed at one of them when they were out with a person they were not married to. But then I find myself mentally defending the show. Not everything is a scandal, juicy tabloid fodder. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, a drink a drink.

The show started out depicting reality. A few years later, neither parent works. Their cars and most of the things in their house have been bought by someone else. Their house, in fact, was paid for by the network that films and broadcasts them. The crew lives in the house with them and their kids look at the production staff like family. This is not reality. This is what happens when the camera focuses too long on reality. When life imitates art. When the tail wags the dog. When the story tellers become the story.

What do you think? Are you a fan or, like me, skeptical at best? And what do you think of this recent "news"?

Posted by Chris at May 5, 2009 6:46 AM
Comments

Yeah, I worry about the kids and as a rule I'm not a fan of the genre. I used to like Miami Ink unitl they started with the product placement.

Heaven help me if the tabloid starts following me around, I have had dinner with men who are not my husband AND if I hadn't seen them in a while we might even hug. You know what's worse, The Man is totally ok with this. Go figure.

Posted by: Nat at May 5, 2009 7:26 AM

This show totally and completely exploits the children and they have no protection because it is "reality." Child labor laws don't apply. They are not being paid and have no unioun representation. Jon and Kate have said the kids have no college funds so where are the millions of dollars going? TLC just bought them a 1.5 million dollar house and they don't even funnel any of that money back into the kids. The older ones don't even want to participate any more and they make them. They have no idea the behavior problems those kids have.

Clearly, I have issues, don't even get me started.

Posted by: jodifur at May 5, 2009 7:27 AM

Not a fan of the show. Have never watched it to be honest because I am not a big fan of reality TV because I don't think it's really that realistic. I do watch Idol and I have historically watched Hell's Kitchen but even this season feels so utterly scripted...I mean, how is that EVERY f'ing season someone winds up in the hospital and has to leave early? Do they not screen their candidates better? It's so depressing I can barely stand to watch any more...

As far as the other issue at stake, I agree with your masterfully worded take 150%: "I'd even go so far as to say that hey, let's go out for a drink doesn't automatically translate to hey, let me put my little general into your hoo-ha." AMEN!

Posted by: Country Girl at May 5, 2009 7:28 AM

Well, yes, I watch the show. Do I miss an episode? Yeah all the time, because it's just a filler in my life and not something I really enjoy, like The Metalist or NCIS, or Two And A Half Men.
I seem to recall the McCaughey Septuplets a few years back. They were simple Christian folks who suddenly had all those kids. They did a few photo shoots and a couple of interviews, but chose to bring up their kids in a simple home with values.
So Yeah, Jon & Kate need to get real. Or their reality will be one big disaster!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 5, 2009 7:29 AM

Occasionally, when nothing else is on, my wife will convince me to put J+K on. And for the first few minutes, I watch and I think, "This isn't so bad... I can watch this for 30 minutes." And then Kate belittles John or rolls her eyes or explains to the camera how anxious she's feeling about the mess AS SHE STANDS BACK WHILE OTHER PEOPLE DO STUFF WITH HER KIDS, and I feel overcome by the urge to stab her in the neck.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at May 5, 2009 7:47 AM

I hate Kate. I hate to say this but if he's cheating, I'm not shocked at all. She's a bitch to the poor guy. *I* would cheat on her. LOL and I totally agree with how ridiculous it is that a guy and a girl can't be friends.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at May 5, 2009 7:49 AM

I am not a fan of reality television (contrived or not), so I haven't followed it.

I have issues with people who have kids and expect others to finacially (and emtionally) support them. It could be one child or multiple children. It could be televised or someone living in the projects. I'm not talking about someone who is going through a difficult time and needs temporary help. I'm referring to someone who has decided it is a lifetime solution/choice.

With regards to woman in the bar, I'm jaded. Walking out of a bar together doesn't convince me that a man/woman is having an affair.

Posted by: MariaV at May 5, 2009 7:49 AM

around the corner from me, in a 3 family flat, was ONE family with 16 kids (2 sets of twins)... all blonde, all talked with a lisp... when my brother started dating one of the girls...my mom asked if he was prepared to have such a "clan"... one of the neighbor kids stayed at the house 3 days... no one noticed!! my brother said the other "family" units looked like a hotel... and you would think - like my mom said to us - as soon as someone was old enough to work and pay their way in life... they would hit the road... not only did that NOT happen, but the oldest girl got married, had a baby, and moved her and her husband back home... they had 2 vans... and it took 3 people to grocery shop... there were no cameras...and no freebies... jon and kate... as far as i can see...ain't real... they are in denial of the possible damage done to there children by living on tv...can we say 'ed tv'?

Posted by: the unicorn at May 5, 2009 7:51 AM

I agree with you 100% on all counts, them, the money, the kids and their inevitable future fuckedupedness. I've heard that not only do they charge for autographs, when they speak at churches, at the end of the presentation, a "love plate" is sent around to help these poor people raise their 8 kids. It was one thing for them to get help when they were struggling in the beginning, it's another thing that now it is what they expect.

Plus, I really really really hate Kate's hair.

Like you, while I want to relish it, I feel a little bad for them right now. I guess it's the karmic boomerang of living in Freeville.

I do wonder what the reaction would be were it Kate out at 2 AM with another man after having gone out. Is Jon assumed a cheater b/c he's a man or is it the younger woman and the hour?

Posted by: Shelly at May 5, 2009 7:57 AM

I don't watch any TV, but my 12-year-old daughter is positively obsessed with this show, so I've been exposed to more of it than I care to admit. I ABHOR IT. Your words about Kate were kind, in my opinion. She is a BITCH. Nothing her husband can do is good enough for her. Those poor kids aren't allowed to let loose and have fun for fear they'll make a MESS! Heaven forbid! And I'm with you on all the free trips, big new house, etc. Horrible, horrible show. I hope someone's putting aside a big annuity for 20 years of therapy x 8.

Posted by: Karen at May 5, 2009 8:07 AM

I'm in the same boat as you: we were really into it in the beginning but then it got a little out of hand. I started to hate the way she treated him and I even hated the way he pretty much did whatever she said. I'm certainly not saying this excuses any behaviour he may have exhibited but I am sure whatever he was "caught" doing was blown out of proportion. I hope, for the sake of their children, that they decide to stop filming the show.

Posted by: Claire at May 5, 2009 8:18 AM

I hate the entire genre with the burning intensity of a thousand suns. Also, germophobe moms relegate their kids' immune systems to laziness, which means they'll end up being constantly sick adults. It's true. If I were you, I'd go and throw Mia and Owen in a mud puddle, post haste. Don't even explain what you're doing to Beth, either. Just do it. It'll be more fun that way. Just make sure you take a picture of the look on her face after you do it.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at May 5, 2009 8:20 AM

Are you kidding me? I absolutely love the show, what better birth control. My husband and I watch it and it just reaffirms our decision of not having children. Lately I have definitely thought something was up, Kate has seemed even more a bitch. During the interview she has such an attitude and doesn’t even seem like she wants to be there.

Posted by: Tailynn at May 5, 2009 8:40 AM

I agree. It's gotten way past what it was originally intended to be. But as long as people continue to tune in, it's not going anywhere.

Posted by: Shannon at May 5, 2009 8:57 AM

I have no doubt in my mind she drove him to drink and find another woman.

Posted by: Knot at May 5, 2009 9:08 AM

I've watched a few episodes and seen them on Oprah a couple of times.

It's time for the cameras to leave. Once you've stopped working, things have gone too far. You're not a talented actor. You're a reality show prop, and when they cameras do eventually leave you're going to be worth exactly what you can see around you and nothing more. If there's no signs of a future, then that's what you have.

Posted by: Brad at May 5, 2009 9:13 AM

Yeah, my wife will turn this on every once in a while, and I'm always surprised that they are still together, because seriously? Kate treats Jon like crap. I know a lot of it is for the cameras, but the fact that she berates and belittles him in front of the kids is pretty awful.

Posted by: J at May 5, 2009 9:16 AM

I'm neither fan nor skeptic. I am a full-on hater. Can not stand the show or genre. Who in the world thinks it's a good idea to have their children on a television show like that?! Kate the Super Bitch, that's who.

Ahem. Sorry.

Posted by: Rebecca at May 5, 2009 9:19 AM

I can't comment on this show in particular, I've never watched it (I don't have cable or satellite). On the whole, I'm not a reality TV fan, I like a plot and some characters, and a well-written script.

As for the 'out with another woman' bit? I'm with Nat. I've always had men friends. Over the years I've had dinner with men friends, lunches with men friends, and a few drinks in bars with men friends. Nothing juicy or 'newsworthy' though, just friends getting together who happen to have different X and Y combinations.

Posted by: alison at May 5, 2009 9:21 AM

I've watched it twice? maybe? I really, really liked it not long after my son was born, and I was feeling completely overwhelmed. It gave me some perspective, and things seemed much easier for me. Even the bickering between the parents didn't bug me, because it made me feel normal. But I grew out of that phase, and really have no desire to watch anymore. It feels fundamentally wrong to place your children in the public eye all the time. I guess you have to do what you have to do!

Posted by: jane at May 5, 2009 9:22 AM

Like you I/we watched because, dude, eight kids, 6 of which were all like 2 and 3 at the same time and holy crap HOW!?! do they do it!?

Also omg my parenting looked tame next to Crazy Kate. IE: It made me feel better.

Then I started reading some "shit" on the internets and I was like that Crazy Kate is REALLY Crazy. I was amazed at how little the kids seem to have grown up. My kid as a two year old had better language skills then there, what five year olds?! I think the cameras should have left two years ago (or more.) One season of this would have been enough. Moving on to The Nanny.

The product placements are annoying as is Crazy Kate. It used to be kind of cute that she ribbed Jon. Now it just drives me batty. Like WTF he is supposed to be your friend and partner and it was kind of enduring how she used to do this but now... STOP already. You are a bitch and he is your whipping boy, we get it.

Finally "hey, let me put my little general into your hoo-ha" Holy crap that made me laugh. Ah thanks!

Posted by: Christina at May 5, 2009 9:25 AM

You know, if I had slept with every guy I left a bar or restaurant with, I'd be on some CDC list. Most of my friends are guys. Just how I'm wired, doesn't mean anything more than that.

I don't like Jon because he refuses to be an adult, which exacerbates Kate's insanity. I dislike them both. And if he's cheating on her, maybe that will END THE SHOW.

Poor kids. They're really so cute.

Posted by: alektra at May 5, 2009 9:25 AM

I had to stop watching because the product nonsense was making me jealous -- why do they get all that stuff?

But this whole thing with John has given me some much-needed perspective. My life is pretty good. I'd much rather have a happy marriage (because even if this is a tempest in a teapot, it's gotta be stressful on their relationship to have it out there) than a free trip to Hawaii, when it comes down to it.

Posted by: Julie at May 5, 2009 9:43 AM

A++ entry, would read again.

Seriously though, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Posted by: Hope at May 5, 2009 10:05 AM

I gotta say, for the first time in a long time, someone finally said everything I feel about that awful woman and her hen-pecked husband. I wish he would grow a set and tell her to F*ck off!!
I have 4 kids and I don't get free shit or get great vacations. Does it sound like I'm jealous? Maybe alittle, but I wouldn't want the world knowing my business either. So they reap what they sow. I guess.

Posted by: Chris at May 5, 2009 10:10 AM

I think Kate is whacked out. It's funny, most of my childless friends love this show - which should say something. I know very few people who actually have children of their own who enjoy this mess. Not only is Kate a total troll to her husband, she's LAZY. The woman uses paper plates at meals to avoid clean up! Woman, YOU CHOSE TO HAVE A GAGGLE OF CHILDREN. Think of all that crap in the landfills thanks to that family.

If she has any respect for her husband she never shows it on camera and my god, if he was cheating on her... I don't even care.

Also, like someone else said: She has really bad hair.

Posted by: sarah at May 5, 2009 10:14 AM

Yet another reason why I avoid reality shows - thanks for reminding me. :) But interesting point about the camera pointing too much at reality.

Posted by: Hannah at May 5, 2009 10:19 AM

Never seen it, never well. Just the premise drives me nuts. Those poor kids will never lead a normal life after all this exposure and lack of a private life. It is one thing to do a documentary or two, it is different to have a camera crew living in your home for years at a time.

Hope they are putting away some cash for intensive therapy and drug rehab for those kids later in life.

And after all this, once the show does get dropped, what are they going to do for work? Who is going to hire them for a mainstream job?

Posted by: Jen at May 5, 2009 10:34 AM

Wow, still so glad I dont have a tv.

So what happens when the show gets cancelled?

All of it- the bar thing, the free stuff, the show period sounds pretty fucked up.

I'll bet it was the ultimate inspiration for Octomom though.

Posted by: jessica at May 5, 2009 10:42 AM

I used to love the show. It did seem real, and the kids are so adorable! But it's gone way over the edge. This isn't anymore about a family that is struggling to make ends meet and raise a bunch of kids (my Mom was one of eight). It isn't a family that you root for anymore. They are using their kids to make a living. I worry incredibly about the kids, what kind of teasing they endure in school, that they have no privacy. They keep saying that the kids don't know any different, and they get all these opportunities, but please -- no kid deserves to have their life that public. It is the 21st century version of putting kids on display at the circus or something. Honestly!

Posted by: Sandy at May 5, 2009 10:56 AM

I watch the show. Simply because it's like a train wreck. You know it's going to be bad, but you have to look. I have to agree that the amount of free stuff they get makes me a little ill. It also really bothers me that she got a tummy tuck for free. All she did was flash her belly on TV once and a doctor took pity on her. What do you want to bet that if I (or any other woman) went to this doctor and showed him the toll pregnancy took on us that he would charge us thousands of dollars to fix it. Jon also got free hair plugs. It really bothers me.

I also agree that it's wrong that everyone is speculating that Jon was cheating simply because he was seen with another woman. Most of my friends are men. I go out and have dinner/drinks with them. Like someone else mentioned, you may even catch me hugging them as well! And, I tell my best friend (a male), "I love you." The press might have a field day with that.

Posted by: js at May 5, 2009 10:57 AM

it's my most favorite show on television, i love both parents and all the kids (sometimes maddie is...interesting...but still love her), and i really hope it goes to another season. btw, i have a master's degree, work full time, own my home, and i just really adore that show. really.

Posted by: RD at May 5, 2009 10:59 AM

I don't watch much reality TV and have never seen this show. I had heard of them and I had seen this bar story.

They opened themselves up for this when they allowed so much access into their lives. They shouldn't be surprised as like it or not, they are now news. It is a leap to jump from a drink to cheating, but it does happen.

It sounds to me that they are too dependent on this show. If and when they are canceled what then? They have 8 kids to feed and take care of. Eventually, someone is going to have to go back to work and what will they be able to do after all this exposure?

I can't imagine the strain that 8 kids puts on a marriage.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at May 5, 2009 11:08 AM

I've never watched the show in my life (oh, you fancy folks with cable!), but this is the second blog post in a row that I've read on the JK+8 scandal, so something serious must be going on if it has ignited such a frenzy in the blogosphere.

My only real comment is that I'm interested in all the backlash against Kate, who, if these rumors are true, is the wronged spouse. Yet a lot of comments run to the she deserved it, she doesn't respect him, she has bad hair and needs a new stylist, she doesn't take care of her kids, but lets other people do that type.

Since I've never watched the show, I don't know. Maybe she is an acerbic, sarcastic whiny bitch. But does anyone deserve to be cheated on and then have the fallout from that shared all over the national media. I guess I just don't know.

Posted by: NGS at May 5, 2009 11:11 AM

I don't watch it. The one and only time I watched it was some marathon they were running and it was a St. Jude's special where they bought all the kids toys (which you know production paid for) and they went to the place and delivered them.

As far as your description of Kate, if she's truly OCD shouldn't she be on meds, I mean I have a little OCD but not to the point it interferes in my life, if she is that fanatical about it shouldn't she be taking something as it's not so easily controlled. I know it's probably easy to say Relax let them be kids, but if she's truly OCD it's not in her control to relax about it. But she should get some help so her kids don't feel so smothered.

As far as him maybe cheating, whatever, any man or woman for that matter in the public eye if they are seen in public without their spouse and in the company of anyone of the opposite sex they are instantly thought of as running around. Give me a break, the woman could be his agent, his sister, his sisters maid of honor talking to him about his sisters wedding, a friend from work, his bootycall who knows, it's a bit presumptious of the rags to assume he's cheating but then again that's what they are suppose to do, bring gossip to the masses. Too bad I couldn't care less.

=)

Posted by: Dee at May 5, 2009 11:16 AM

Chris...not that it matters (and not that I am condoning what he did) but it doesn't surprise me that he left a bar with another woman. I watched the show once (it was on while I was waiting or rather trapped in the emergency room) and from what I gathered she was not only a little uptight but she constantly berated her husband in public and when they were wrapping up the show at the end each week. Maybe he was a little tired of being treated like crap and just wanted to get a drink. But regardless if he is skipping out with another woman it is sad for the kids. I agree it is pretty much predictable that if you live your life on "reality TV" eventually it will pretty much degrade whatever relationships you have with your family or friends.

Posted by: Julie Andel at May 5, 2009 11:19 AM

my husband and i were just talking about this exact subject the other day! it is just a horrible show for so many reasons. it is an interesting concept, so we have watched a few episodes. but i can hardly stand kate's demeanor and attitude. she is completely unlikable. and the look in john's eyes! he literally looks like he is daydreaming about violently ending it all or at the very least grabbing his hidden packed suitcase and leaving. at all times! on the one hand, you can't knock a family making their own way and deciding that selling out is a small price to pay for all the free stuff they can get that they would have no way of getting on their own. on the other hand, watching them get progressively tanner and kate's awful haircut get progressively more over-done and watching them go on extravagant vacations and build a new green house is just annoying. and in general, i think it even gets less interesting the older the kids get. the reason it was originally interesting to me was the crazy amount of work it would take to have that many two year olds. but once they can get themselves fed and dressed...

we talked about how we think the duggars are so much more fun to watch. some of it is just the fun of seeing their crazy home-schooled christian cult-iness and imagining what secret freaky stuff happens on that compound. but really, its because you can tell they are genuinely nice people (weird as they are) and therefore likable.

really, could you blame john if he is cheating?! haha, now THAT's real!

Posted by: kati at May 5, 2009 11:22 AM

awful show. those poor children. kate treats john with no respect.

and about the "going out with a drink with a member of opposite sex" thing... i'm with YOU on this, it should not be a big deal at all. i'm married, but i just don't really get along with women well so i have a lot of guy friends. JUST FRIENDS. but their wives see me as a threat and it's killed a couple of friendships that could've been great because of what i consider insecurity and unfounded trust issues. believe it or not, not ALL women who have male friends are home-wrecking whores.

Posted by: bri at May 5, 2009 11:24 AM

So, I hate the show and truly can't stand either parent. I agree with you general description of it being more an advertisement for the massive amounts of products given to them freely. I also think that yes, men and women can just be friends with no other underlying intention. However, my husband and I like to say, "we don't even want to give the impression of impropriety." because of how this world is and the assumptions made. Because Jon is such a public figure he was an idiot for stepping out, even if it is competely innocent, with a woman who was not his wife because it does give the impression of impropriety.

Posted by: Sarah at May 5, 2009 11:26 AM

Posted by: Sarah at May 5, 2009 11:26 AM

I agree with your post 100% in every way.

Posted by: sue at May 5, 2009 11:33 AM

I've never watched it. I have tended to steer clear of "reality" tv since I couldn't stomach Survivor at the dawning (except Trailer Park Boys - if you haven't heard of Trailer Park Boys, find it, check it out). But from what you describe (production crew being "family"), it's *their* reality.

One just has to be careful to not confuse it with what is reality to 93% of the rest of the television-watching population - my reality.

My reality if I had eight kids: "which of you are we having for dinner tonight?" I can barely stick to pasta as it is (with three)...

Posted by: harmzie at May 5, 2009 11:34 AM

Posted by: Sarah at May 5, 2009 11:54 AM

I could not care less about John, Kate, or the eight. At this point in time, if you don't know what you're getting into when you sign a contract with a reality show, you're a fucknut. I would never subject my kids to that for any amount of money.

Posted by: Brooke at May 5, 2009 11:57 AM

I started watching the show before it was even a show -- when it was just two specials on TLC. When they released the book, I read the book. And then I found out about Aunt Jodi. There's a whole hooplah there, but that's where my, "What a great family" was replaced withh, "You've gotta be fucking kidding me..."

I feel like whatever snippet of "reality" may exist there has been replaced by a big game. I feel like both Jon and Kate have "used" their kids to acquire everything that they have. I can't say that in their situation, I wouldn't do the same thing, but watching the Gosselins is more like watching chess -- you move this piece here and that piece there and see what the next piece is that you can take.

Posted by: Emily at May 5, 2009 12:10 PM

I haven't ever actually watch the show, but it seems fairly ridiculous. I do agree with you though, the man could have been out for a drink with a friend. I think we have far more imortant things to worry about than tracking Jon and Kate. Thanks for the comment on my blog yesterday by the way!

Posted by: Dianna at May 5, 2009 12:31 PM

I can't watch the show, Kate is annoying as hell and Jon checked out a long time ago. Now the only exposure I get is when Talk Soup does a bit on them, like Kate going on and on and on about something utterly inane and Jon sitting there with his patented thousand yard stare. He's drifting and she's irritating and the kids are like monkeys at the zoo. Not a healthy situation at all.

What will be worse is when the Octomom's show debuts and people start to realize hot utterly fucking loony she is. And she's got 14 (fourteen!) kids. Very sad that this overbreeders are getting paid and encouraging others to do the same. The planet is overpopulated and yet we've got idiots without jobs or incomes creating huge broods of kids. Its sickening really.

Posted by: Erik at May 5, 2009 12:43 PM

I am addicted to this genre of show: Jon & Kate, The Duggars, Table for 12, Little People Big World. It's a sickness.

My boyfriend doesn't understand it either as we have been together for ten years and do not want to marry or have children. We feel very strongly about this.

I think my fascination comes into play because these people are so different from myself. I really can not understand what it would be like to even want to have a child let alone actually have eight or twelve of them.

A few months ago Jon and Kate were in the news because Jon was out at some college frat party with a group of young ladies, it wasn't long after that when I was watching their show he made an off-handed comment about how he'll never like or get used to people following him around with cameras. I am sure that was his way of address what was in the media.

Am I a fan? Sure, though I really have no clue why. What do I think? It's sad. It's sad that those children will grown up and be forced to watch re runs of their parents marriage falling apart (assuming that is whats happening).

Posted by: Kelly M. at May 5, 2009 2:10 PM

I'm with ya. I've never really watched the show, but that just can't be healthy!

Posted by: Heather at May 5, 2009 2:24 PM

"Reality" TV offends me in ways I can't explain. something about focusing on the lowest common denominator, I think. Ick and ew.

Posted by: bhd at May 5, 2009 2:27 PM

I've seen it a few times. I think the hoopla over Jon & "the other woman" is because people have been watching the way Kate treats him and wondering how long he'll hold out before doing something stupid. She scares me.

Posted by: jess at May 5, 2009 3:03 PM

I loathe just about everything about that show.

On the other hand, I am kind of astounded at the "news" coverage of people getting all up in arms about Jon's friend. Do other married people really not have any friends of a different gender after they are married? Really? That seems so antiquated to me.

Posted by: Librarian Girl at May 5, 2009 4:30 PM

I think I was turned off the episode when they went to the Crayola factory and Kate said she didn't want them to play with the markers because they'll get their clothes dirty. And the kids were hysterical and pleading with her to play because THEY WERE AT CRAYOLA.

And maybe this is due to editing, but I didn't see much gratitude from either Jon or Kate's parts whenever they did get free things. I say thank you even when getting samples at Costco.

Posted by: kirida at May 5, 2009 4:34 PM

have been a H8-er from the first episode i watched

apologies to those of you who seem to like her but Kate rang all my 'bitch-alarms' from the first moment I saw her ...

Posted by: s@bd at May 5, 2009 4:42 PM

I hate Kate. IF I were Jon I'd be out with a different women every night of the week. She's an overbearing control freak and she cares more about herself than anyone in her family. I think she loves the fame and has drug her entire brood through all the crap so she can have pretty things, etc. THAT show is not reality..but then again not too many reality shows are.

p.s. being an unemployed overpaid babysitter has made Jon quite the fatass...no??

Posted by: Kristy at May 5, 2009 4:46 PM

I've gotta say you got me thinking on this one. My hubs and I have talked about this many times and I still can't figure out where I stand.
When the show started I was HOOKED. I loved it. It made my life seem calmer, easier to deal with etc, etc. Now, I dunno I'm kinda with train wreck guy, have to watch it to see how it ends up. I also as much as Kate is depicted as being a total cow, think T.V can twist reality. And this isn't reality anymore. We still only see snippets up life, and it isn't a "reality" based one anymore. Having 8 kids 50 years ago was NORMAL. And no one documented their day to day's, no one documnented the family of 15 who lived through the great depression, and survived without a mansion, and 4 washers and dryers, and dogs, and new clothes every season, disposable diapers, vacations to hawaii,colorado, the list is endless. So I don't really get the draw anymore. Especially since now that they are out of the baby stage, it's been kinda boring, because they havn't really encountered any "issues." Neither parent works, so technically you'd think they could really come together as a family, sadly it seems to be doing the opposite.

Posted by: amy at May 5, 2009 4:59 PM

I liked the show at first, but now it's just painful to watch how Kate treats Jon. Kate is annoying and seems rather into just herself lately with her spikey hairdo, fake tan and busy speaking schedule.
If Jon cheats on her, that's his choice, but I don't think he is dumb enough to ruin his life with all the child support and alimony he would likely have to pay.

Posted by: Peggy at May 5, 2009 7:25 PM

I used to enjoy the show, because the little kids were adorable. But I absolutely cannot take the way Kate speaks to her husband. It's so disrespectful. She demeans him and criticizes him and if you look at her body language, it's like she can't tolerate being with him or the children. The show where they moved into their huge house and she spent 2 days taking apart the refrigerator and cleaning it was ridiculous. And what's even sadder to me is that now the two older girls emulate her.

Can you even imagine child support for 8 children though? I bet Jon knows how much it would be.

Posted by: coolchick at May 5, 2009 10:45 PM

I read your post this morning on my google reader and meant to come back and comment but got busy with my no job, no kids, no reality show following me around gig.

Then, I just checked my google reader again and saw this story on The Huffington Post, which linked to the US magazine article: http://www.usmagazine.com/news/jon-and-kate-dads-three-month-affair-confirmed-200955

Looks like Jon is cheating, according to the brother of the girl he's cheating with. Ick.

I know people think Kate deserves this because of how she treats Jon. I disagree. Nobody deserves to be cheated on. Least of all a woman who has eight kids with the guy. He's cowardly for cheating and not just outright leaving. That speaks to his character, not hers.

He CHOOSES to allow Kate to treat him like an idiot. He stays there, he doesn't speak up - as far as we know - he doesn't protest. He could easily say enough, he could easily demand to be treated like an adult, he could easily be an example for his kids on how a healthy relationship should be played out. He doesn't.

He's not a victim.

Now it looks like he's a cheater.

The victims are the children. I hope for the sake of them the show ends. Maybe an update every year or so. They are adorable kids. They didn't ask for this.

Posted by: Tania at May 6, 2009 12:13 AM

I used to watch the show, like most of the other commenters, when it was new and not so spoiled w/ spoiled grownups AND children. I sound like my grandma, right? It was fun to watch, though it drove my husband CRAZY to hear and watch Kate. She really has gotten worse, I think, and the whole situation is just not fun. It's sad. They don't even seem to like each other. I still catch a re-run every now and then, but...it's totally not the same. I really wish they could have found a balance between enjoying some nice freebies & becoming a reality infomercial.

While I agree that it's fine for married folk to have friends of other sexes - I do, even though it would be unlikely for me to go out with guy friends w/out my husband along, too - this is not supper or happy hour with a friend. This is TWO FREAKING IN THE MORNING. Something's rotten in Denmark, methinks. I keep reading that people think they're already separated...

Posted by: Sam at May 6, 2009 11:03 AM

I watched the show a little when it first started, and I liked it all the way up until I saw what an uptight b*tch Kate is. I quit watching because I was tired of watching her berate John for any little thing.

As to John (oh no!) leaving a bar with another woman, its ridiculous. Is there something sinfully wrong with him having a female friend and hanging out with her? Last I checked we're not in high school anymore, so why the HS drama?

Posted by: Debra at May 6, 2009 9:08 PM

I used to love Jon And Kate Plus Eight. But you're right, it has gotten very much out of hand! You can no longer say to yourself, "Wow, I can barely handle one toddler, and they have six!" Because they also have SO MANY resources that no normal person... even one with eight kids... would have access to. Plus Kate is ALWAYS griping at Jon and belittling him on the show, just ripping him a new a-hole all day long!

Posted by: Nicki at May 7, 2009 12:17 PM

I am not a fan of the show. I find the way that the couple treats one another to be disrespectful and just watching them interact is painful on some level. If he was cheating on her--and I'm not saying that he was--good riddance to them both. I just feel bad for their (many) kids, who seem to be denied so much already.

Posted by: Angela at May 9, 2009 6:59 PM

Once upon a time, I read the most excellent Glass Teat books by Harlan Ellison. Thanks to those, I learned about the show An American Family. It was about a family called The Louds, it aired in the early 70s (I just googled; some say 1970, some 1973), it was on PBS as a documentary.

So what? So plenty. The parent separated on camera and eventually got a divorce. One of the sons was openly gay and dressed in drag (and good on him, but remember this was in 1973 on public television). PBS followed up with two other documentaries on the family, the last of which aired less than ten years ago.

Which means what I really want to know is why we're even willing to watch this Barbie dream house of a "family reality show." This was done like dinner before most of the people watching the current show were even born.

Are they bringing back Bonanza next?

Posted by: Kat at May 10, 2009 8:05 PM

When you're in uncomfortable position and have got no money to move out from that point, you would need to take the mortgage loans. Just because that would help you unquestionably. I get credit loan every time I need and feel myself OK because of it.

Posted by: PearlCoffey at March 20, 2010 3:27 PM

I propose not to hold off until you get enough cash to order different goods! You can just take the personal loans or short term loan and feel yourself free

Posted by: credit loans at September 10, 2011 7:50 PM