May 21, 2009

The Cradle Will Rock

Me: Okay, Mia. Now for an important question.
Mia: Yeah?
Me: David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?
Mia: What?
Me: David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? Which camp are you in?
Mia: David Hagar.
Me: Come on. You have to pick one or the other.
Mia: No.
Me: Oh no. Don't tell me you're a Gary Cherone fan.
Mia: Yeah! Gary Cherone!
Me: Where did I go wrong?!
Mia: Why?
Me: Because everyone knows the album with Cherone is terrible. I mean, he was okay with Extreme but he sounded like he had a speech impediment through the whole Van Halen album.
Mia: What's a speech impediment?
Me: It's what Gary Cherone had on Van Halen III.
Mia: Oh. I pick Gary Cherone.
Me: You and me have a date with my stereo and Van Halen this weekend.
Mia: Gary Cherone!
Me: Stop.
Mia: Gary Cherone!
Me: You're killing me.

Posted by Chris at May 21, 2009 7:00 AM
Comments

Gary Cherone was so bad I didn't even buy that album, one song on the radio killed that dream.

Posted by: Dee at May 21, 2009 7:20 AM

You're in for a long weekend, Chris. She knows your weak spot. :-)

Posted by: MariaV at May 21, 2009 7:39 AM

I can't wait to pose this question to my son; he'd better say Roth or we have some serious listening to do.

Posted by: Claire at May 21, 2009 9:13 AM

Next question for Mia: Beatles or Stones?

Posted by: Rebecca at May 21, 2009 9:16 AM

your conversations make me grin and laugh...thanks! I needed that this morning...our kids always seem to go their own direction...LOL

Posted by: gypsy at May 21, 2009 9:35 AM

I love how she goes straight for the kill! Good luck re-educating her!

Posted by: Kris at May 21, 2009 9:55 AM

Oh my gosh, this made me laugh as soon as it opened. My daughter has been able to tell the difference between the Van Halen singers since she was two! (Because "Jump" is her favorite song, I think she prefers Roth, btw.)

Posted by: Meg at May 21, 2009 10:02 AM

Ok, Chris, you have some serious work to do here. It is important for fathers to provide their daughters with guidance on these matters. thank goodness for the long weekend :)

P.S. Roth. That goes without saying, right?

Posted by: bad penguin at May 21, 2009 12:11 PM

Roth of course but I don't hate Haggar as much as most do.... But Gary was pretty bad....

Posted by: Dozenroses13 at May 21, 2009 12:20 PM

I like Van Halen and I like Gary Cherone with Extreme, but I have never even heard the VH album he is on because I thought he was such a lame choice.

P.S. I'm a Hagar fan.

Posted by: Brooke at May 21, 2009 12:35 PM

Ha-ha!! We had a similar conversation at the dinner table last night while I was dishing up plates. The Frog Princess (6) was showing Mini-Saurus (2) her Presidents of the US place mat and asking her to point to her favorite President. Frog wanted her to point to Obama but Mini kept picking George Bush Jr., George Senior, and Regan...she was killing me and her sister. I informed her that we wouldn't be allowing her to vote until she gets her priorities straightened out!

Posted by: marylea at May 21, 2009 1:31 PM

I didn't even realize Cherone was an option when answering this question.

I don't trust anyone who doesn't choose Diamond Dave.

Posted by: Chag at May 21, 2009 1:38 PM

There really was no Van Halen after DLR. There was just noise. Bad noise. It was like everyone just gave up, but forgot to turn the money machine off.

Posted by: harmzie at May 21, 2009 1:48 PM

You can't dismiss Hagar right off the bat. "5150" was a great album. Several subsequent albums were solid as well.

I will agree, Diamond David Lee Roth should be the start and finish of the discussion, but you have to at least give '5150' credit for being one the all time great Van Halen albums.

Posted by: Phil at May 21, 2009 2:31 PM

My daughter asked who Bruce Lee was, once. "Never again," I vowed. Never again.

Posted by: rpm at May 21, 2009 3:18 PM

I am totally a Sammy Hagar fan. My older brother mocks me for this, but there it is.

Incidentally, I have no idea who Gary Cherone is, so Mia has one up on me.

Posted by: erin at May 21, 2009 11:11 PM

Incidentally, I have no idea who Gary Cherone is, so Mia has one up on me.

Posted by: erin at May 21, 2009 11:11 PM

Incidentally, I have no idea who Gary Cherone is, so Mia has one up on me.

Posted by: erin at May 21, 2009 11:11 PM

I love reading mia's stories, she has a lot in common with my daughters world view, so you need to go download Soundbiter for your iPhone then we could hear her too. Or you could just archive them to play back when you need some quiet, my kids will happily listen to themselves for ages--well 20 min, but it seems like ages when they're quiet.
Celeste

Posted by: celeste at May 22, 2009 12:55 AM

that's hilarious.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at May 22, 2009 11:26 AM

Mia is the Antichrist?

But she looks so sweet.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at May 22, 2009 11:05 PM

i hope you got that all figured out this weekend.
and for the record, i'm totally sammy hagar camp.

Posted by: kimmyk at May 24, 2009 12:24 PM