May 11, 2009

Monkey Boy and the Skinned Knee Princess

This weekend was busy. And I know I always say that - I'm like the boy who cried busy weekend - but this time I'm serious. Punch-in-the-balls serious. I'm wiped out. It started with a mother's day brunch on Saturday and extended through the charity trike-a-thon (it is what it sounds like in case you're curious) on Saturday night and continued through the awesome lunch and playdate with Clementine and Oscar and their mom and dad. Throw in yard work - as we're trying to salvage the yard from the infestation of weeds we've inherited this spring - and, well, I'm kinda tired.

On Saturday afternoon, Mia was taking a walk with Beth and - there's no way to put this delicately - bit it on the sidewalk. Two very well-scraped knees later, The Skinned Knee Princess was born. Mia is nothing if not a drama queen princess so we spent the rest of the weekend discussing the boo-boos and changing the bandaids on them. I'm conservatively guessing that we went through a box and a half of bandages ranging from Dora to Barbie and Snoopy to Scooby-Doo.

DSC_4090%20copy_sm.jpg

This weekend was also challenging because Owen (aka Monkey Boy) learned that he could climb damn near anything. The couch? No problem. A kitchen chair? Easy. A bathroom vanity? Simple. Mt. Fuji? Like 2+2. As a result, we spent the majority of the weekend preventing Owen from scaling things five times his height. Or pulling him down from things five times his height. Or turning all the chairs into kindling and lighting a ginormous bonfire in the backyard.

Out of this weekend come four decisions, one of which is serious:

- Owen is getting a helmet. And possibly ankle weights to keep him on terra firma.
- Mia gets knee-pads at all times.
- We're replacing our flooring with those thick blue gym mats.
- Next weekend will be more relaxing.

To all the moms out there, I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. If you work half as hard as Beth, you truly deserve it. In fact you deserve a billion dollars. And pie.

Posted by Chris at May 11, 2009 6:49 AM
Comments

The bandaids are adorable. :)

Posted by: Hannah at May 11, 2009 8:02 AM

I like Mia's bandaids.

Posted by: MariaV at May 11, 2009 8:06 AM

awww I'm glad you guys had an awesome weekend.

Posted by: La Petite Belle at May 11, 2009 8:07 AM

I'm going broke over here from buying out Spiderman bandaids -- and Bear doesn't even have any cuts!

Your post made me laugh because Bear nicknamed HIMSELF "Monkey Boy." As in he says, "Look at me mommy, I'm a monkey boy -- ooh ooh ahh ahh" and then climbs whatever is the closest thing that will give me a heart attack. (boys) Good luck with Owen.

Posted by: Robyn at May 11, 2009 8:26 AM

Oh, Pie.. that sounds good. I'm sure the billion dollars would come in handy now-days, but really, I think I'm going to go with the pie. Thanks!

Posted by: Kim at May 11, 2009 9:00 AM

Thanks for the Mother's day wishes. And good luck with next weekend being more relaxing.

Cas
love the bandaids

Posted by: cassie-b at May 11, 2009 9:34 AM

Hmmmm...maybe MonkeyBoy is a nickname that will stick? Then the kiddos will have the same initials!

Posted by: Teresa at May 11, 2009 10:26 AM

I remember that stage well. We used to turn our chairs over in the kitchen so they'd stop climbing them.

Posted by: Brad at May 11, 2009 10:26 AM

do you know how often i have to consciously talk myself out of a helmet and kneepads (and not to mention a leash) for lola?! seriously, every day.

she had those same knees this weekend...

Posted by: kati at May 11, 2009 10:28 AM

I like pie. and a billion dollars. :D

And Owen DID need a cool nickname, so he was just helping the process along by providing some inspiration and it worked! lol Obviously the boy has brains & brawn! ;)

Posted by: Kris at May 11, 2009 10:41 AM

I honestly don't think there are enough bandaids in all of North America to keep my kids' scraped knees all covered! They are just at that age.

Posted by: Shannon at May 11, 2009 10:44 AM

I totally deserve pie and a billion bucks!

I can't keep band aids around because we go through the entire box in about an hour. Doesn't even matter what kind of band aid it is. Our best case scenario is going through one or 2 a day until they are gone.

Real booboos that actually need coverage get a bit of a cotton ball and some tape, with a sticker on top.

Stickers are cheaper than band aids.

Posted by: jessica at May 11, 2009 1:21 PM

LOL...my Dad used the top bandaid on Mia's left knee for his finger yesterday.

Posted by: steff at May 11, 2009 1:55 PM

Declan does bandaids like Mia.

And I got fruit tart.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at May 11, 2009 2:48 PM

I did. Even though my daughter is all grown up, there are days I wish I could put my protective arms around her and make it all better with a Dora the Explorer band-aide. That sort of caring and worrying never does end.

Posted by: Maribeth at May 11, 2009 3:45 PM

Make it pecan or pumpkin and you've got a deal! : )
...And my yard kicked my ass this weekend.

Posted by: Marylea at May 11, 2009 5:50 PM

Should you find a way to actually make ANY weekend more relaxing, please do pass on the secret. Oh, and a tip from a mom of 17+ years - buy stock in bandaids.

Posted by: Theresa at May 11, 2009 5:56 PM

Hey! *I* work 1/2 as hard as Beth! AND I like pie! Pretty sure a billion dollars would change me in a bad way, so I'll just say thanks for the pie.

Posted by: harmzie at May 11, 2009 8:59 PM

That is funny you mentioned pie. That is exactly what i made for my mom. strawberry-rhubarb, made with rhubarb from my back yard. :)

Posted by: erin at May 12, 2009 12:24 AM

At one-year-old my little boy was climbing the bunk bed ladder. He's not even two yet, so I fear what's coming. I feel your pain.

Posted by: dead beat daddy-o at May 12, 2009 1:43 AM