May 1, 2009

The Weeklies #83

The Weekly Hysterical Affliction. Swine flu.

The Weekly Outfit. Last night, Mia was dressed in nothing other than underwear, socks and a pedometer. Kids are weird.

The Weekly Time Waster. The David Lee Roth Runnin' With The Devil Soundboard. It seriously rocks. (Thanks Rhonda)

The Weekly Read. The Dart League King by Keith Lee Morris was a slow-burner. It didn't grab me at first. And even halfway through, I was thinking about bailing, shifting to something else a little more midless, a little faster. My initial reaction was that it was written by a creative writing teacher trying to show off. Turns out, it is written by a creative writing teacher but he wasn't just showing off. Morris is good. I'm glad I stuck with it. By the end of the book I was captivated and I was sad to turn the final page.

The Weekly Listen. You know who is classic and awesome? Billy Joel. His most recent live release - 12 Gardens Live - carried us all the way to Pennsylvania last weekend. And between Beth and I, we knew all the words. He still sounds pretty damn good too.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. This isn't schadenfreude but since celebrities are so often involved, I thought I'd share some nice news. Hugh Jackman learned that there were some 800 fans camped overnight outside the theater for his Wolverine premier. He sprang for $4308.87 worth of breakfast and coffee the next day for them. Finally, a celebrity who's not a complete ass.

The Weekly Hypothetical. Let's say, hypothetically, of course, that last week you finished a ginormous work thing that you've literally been working on for a year and, intensely, for a month. What do you do to celebrate? And what do you do with a Friday off?

Posted by Chris at May 1, 2009 6:59 AM
Comments

If I had a Friday off like that - and it was just me, not home with a sick kid, like I am today - I would probably make myself an egg and cheese sandwich, read the news on my deck, and tie up loose ends around my house. That may sound boring, but I would feel a whole lot happier if I could finish things for once.

Posted by: Claire at May 1, 2009 8:20 AM

I am thrilled to hear someone else say they like Billy Joel. I started listening to him when I was 10. Now more than 2 decades later (doesn't that make me sound old) I still love his music. And seeing him in concert is great. I teared up a bit when he started Piano Man as the final encore and the audience sang it to him. Yeah, I'm a sap and a geek.

And a Friday without work and presumably nothing else on the to do list - I'd catch up on Tivo and eat ice cream.

Posted by: Meredith at May 1, 2009 8:45 AM

Drink to forget.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at May 1, 2009 9:03 AM

Weekly Hysterical Affliction: I'm not sure when they changed the name, but in case any Pork Supporters come after you the new name is H1N1 Flu.

Weekly Listen: I have a soft spot for Billy Joel. GLASS HOUSES is my favorite album.

Weekly Hypothetical: I would vegetate reading a book, watching television, and listening to music.

Posted by: MariaV at May 1, 2009 9:12 AM

Posted by: MariaV at May 1, 2009 9:12 AM

If I had a Friday off, I would binge on movies and naps. The first thing I'd do the is unplug the computer and then maybe put it under my mattress or high on a shelf so I wouldn't be tempted to turn it back on. I might also have to cut off a few of my fingers.

Posted by: Writer Dad at May 1, 2009 9:36 AM

I would RELAX, whatever that means for you. For me, it would mean sleeping in and eating whatever I wanted. God, I'm a pig.

It's nice to know that Hugh Jackman's awesome inside AND out.

Posted by: Fraulein N at May 1, 2009 9:37 AM

Sleep and jammie day......or get outdoors for a full day of walking/biking/hiking......
or day trip with the family.

Posted by: Karen at May 1, 2009 9:40 AM

I'm gonna go jump down waterfalls, wanna come?

Posted by: Lisa at May 1, 2009 9:51 AM

Can I just say I LOVE Billy Joel?! Srsly love.

Celebrate by having a lazy fun day w/ the kids and then tonight wine & dine and have hot pig sex w/ the wife.

Posted by: Kris at May 1, 2009 9:56 AM

My long comment was eaten by the internet so I'll just leave you with this.

Jackman and Reynolds = Hot Muscle-y Yummness!

Posted by: MsSassyPants at May 1, 2009 10:06 AM

ON the last one, you do something nice for yourself and bask in your accomplishment. That happened to me in mmmmm February??? How often do you and Beth have sex?

Posted by: Knot at May 1, 2009 10:41 AM

Productivity and self-pride is contagious. I'd probably spend money on a house project I've been putting off. Maybe a nice dinner and drinks.

Posted by: Brad at May 1, 2009 10:54 AM

I'd relax all day in my pajamas... or go for a massage... or have sushi delivered... or watch a movie... or just nap.
Enjoy your day! :)

Posted by: Nenette at May 1, 2009 10:56 AM

i'm kind of digging hugh jackman these days.
i kind of wish he had given his donation money to march of dimes for maddie though...

Posted by: ali at May 1, 2009 11:06 AM

Yay for Hugh J., that was pretty cool of him.
As to what to do with your new found free time?
Have sex with energy for a change ;)

Posted by: Dozenroses13 at May 1, 2009 12:02 PM

I started a new tradition to celebrate finishing a project this year by treating myself to some fancy, expensive lunch. Downtown LA has a few in walking distance with food I totally crave. 2 meals so far! :)

Posted by: oakley at May 1, 2009 12:53 PM

First pirates now pigs. Sesame street must be having a field day with this one.

Posted by: DC Urban Dad at May 1, 2009 1:42 PM

Cuz I totally needed an excuse to love Jackman even more ;-)
No brilliant suggestions for the day off, but I hope it's going swimmingly so far!
(Though a couple people have suggested sex, and I'm all for that lol.)

Posted by: Heather at May 1, 2009 3:35 PM

I did finish a ginormous project at 6:45 on Sunday morning when Anneliese gave birth to 4 healthy puppies!
I drank champagne and have made some of my favorite meals (tonight is eggplant lasagna!) and smiled like a total idiot!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 1, 2009 4:41 PM

I'd spend it in my jammies at home with the fam (in other words, those people who you've missed seeing this past month), having the crazy fun that you have together and have a beer or two or three.

Posted by: ironic1 at May 1, 2009 7:57 PM

I have to give a big AMEN to Billy Joel. And 12 Gardens was awesome because he played some obscure stuff too. I have every album he's ever produced. Just worship him.

How would I celebrate - turn off all work-related devices and go out for a really great meal - sushi probably.

What would I do with a Friday off - hmmm....sit by the pool for a while, go for a walk - just be outside.

Posted by: Melissa at May 1, 2009 8:28 PM

LMAO @ the David Lee Roth sound machine. Too funny.

Posted by: coolchick at May 2, 2009 9:18 AM