May 8, 2009

The Weeklies #84

The Weekly Great Idea. Meat Cards

The Weekly Music. Hold on to your hats (or whatever). I'm about to admit to something a little uncharacteristic for me. I've been listening to contemporary Christian rock. Okay, okay, just one artist. See, I'm pretty massively convinced that one of the absolutely most talented musicians working today is one Neal Morse, former voice of Spock's Beard, one of my favorite progressive rock bands. He was born again, left the band and started to record his own progressive rock albums with very strong Christian themes. And as much as I don't like the idea of Christian rock or the idea of Christianity for myself, Morse continues to write and release some of the most compelling, musically brilliant albums. A week or so ago, I broke out his 2005 release ? (or, Question Mark) and I've been listening to it almost non-stop. Say what you want about the message, agree or disagree with the theology, but the album is nothing short of genius. While I don't share his views, I love that his belief inspires him to make such beautiful music. Of course, you can get a taste for Morse's brilliance without the theology by hitting the back catalog of Spock's Beard. I wholeheartedly recommend V.

The Weekly Read. Gillian Flynn is a senior contributor to Entertainment Weekly. I was a little surprised when she released such a debut novel (Sharp Objects). It was strongly written, incredibly creepy, and totally engrossing. Dark Places, her sophomore novel, is even stronger. Dark Places feels gothic, but it's not. It seems like a horror novel in places, but again it's not. What it is is incredibly captivating, very dark, and more than a little disturbing. And I highly recommend it.

The Weekly Time Waster. Effing Hail. Yep, cause your own catastrophe.

The Weekly Winner. Remember, folks, I used the phrase entirely true when I posted the five possible answers to my little contest. As it turns out, the first person to guess that #4 was entirely true and also correctly guess the television character Owen's middle name was inspired by was indeed Dr. Gregory House. So, congrats SK! Here's a run down of the others.

1. My family and I did take road trips. Lots of them. Driving out of Texas was always a chore. But our destination was usually Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. I've never set foot in Oregon.
2. I did tell people I was a black belt but not in dark nipple.
3. Nope, never been to a Star Trek convention though I am a fan.
5. I did indeed built a toilet in my closet. But the one time it saw any use (and was immediately disposed of afterward) was for good old number one.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Oh, Miss California. How did you think the world would not find out about your topless pictures, thus disqualifying you from being Miss America? I kinda feel sorry for her. After all, the pictures that have surfaced showed less skin than the bathing suit she appeared in for the pageant.

The Weekly Hypothetical. Why do my sunglasses always break?

Posted by Chris at May 8, 2009 6:30 AM
Comments

Ahhh... the weekly time waster, how I love you. Only had time to hone my hail making skills into a score of 474. I'll work on total destruction of the world this weekend!

Posted by: coolchick at May 8, 2009 7:27 AM

Weekly Great Idea: Make mine out of bacon, please.

Weekly Music: I've been listening to bad (good) 70s and 80s all week. It's comfort music for me since I've been in a funk.

Weekly Hypothetical: Your sunglasses break because you have children. :-)

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: MariaV at May 8, 2009 7:37 AM

Sunglasses always break because they're one of those items that you forget how much you need until the imminent moment when you DO need them, and that's when you realize they're still broken and you're driving into the sun at rush hour and you want to scream b/c you're bloody blind.

Posted by: Claire at May 8, 2009 8:24 AM

Owen's middle name is House?
;)

Posted by: Lisa at May 8, 2009 8:36 AM

Why do your sunglasses always break? You sit on them.

Not that it ever happens to me at least six times a year.

Posted by: Rebecca at May 8, 2009 8:43 AM

Somebody beat me to it. You sit on them.

Your email thing is working again.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: Ann Adams at May 8, 2009 9:15 AM

I try to hide that I listen to contemporary Christian music, but um. I like it. Shhh.

Posted by: k8 at May 8, 2009 9:45 AM

Same reason everything else breaks. So that you'll have to buy some new ones.

Posted by: Amy at May 8, 2009 10:37 AM

you'd said that if there were multiple winners you'd randomly choose one. SK was randomly chosen, i guess. :(

Posted by: RD at May 8, 2009 10:45 AM

Random like Brownian Motion! I like cheese.

Posted by: sk at May 8, 2009 2:06 PM

I LOVED Sharp Objects and have Dark Places on order. Her writing is fantastic.

Posted by: Lesley at May 8, 2009 3:50 PM

OOps. I hit post before I was actually done. =) Hugh Laurie is my TV Boyfriend so I think it is AWESOME you named Owen after him. If you haven't read his book The Gun Seller I HIGHLY recommend it. His writing is awesome, very sarcastic, and the story is great.

Posted by: Lesley at May 8, 2009 3:54 PM

I thought the Miss California thing was just a picture of her in lingerie.... She was clothed, it's not like the Vanessa Williams de-crowning years ago.
My sunglasses always break too! I just scored a cheap ($2) pair of POLARIZED shades at a Job Lot store here, but not sure if they have them down by you. I have expensive Nike and Oakley glasses but I need beater glasses too!!

Posted by: Dozenroses13 at May 8, 2009 6:35 PM

Hey - *I* was going to recommend The Gun Seller - it's the coolest!

And don't tell anyone, but I'm still a massive Keith Green fan. But seriously, don't tell anyone.

Have a great weekend :)

Posted by: Jo MacD at May 9, 2009 1:49 AM

Hey! You like road trips? I think I just decided I like you even more :P We are going to South Dakota, Utah, Colorado, and Oregon this year.