May 22, 2009

The Weeklies #86

The Weekly Awesome Thing. The fact that I have six days in a row off. That's right - yesterday, today, the long weekend and Tuesday. Off. As in not working. Awesomeness.

The Weekly Activities Planned During Time Off. Pretty much anything that involves my kids and my yard.

The Weekly Read. Rarely do I like books with insipid hypothetical questions on their covers just begging readers to pick them up. I didn't even realize Show Me The Sky by Nicholas Hogg had one until I had it home. It's a good thing too because I might have passed it by and missed a fantastic novel. The book itself was incredibly well written while unique in its approach. It tied four very different story lines together in a interesting and thought provoking way. Each story line could have supported its own novel. Together, the results were exceptional.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. California is bankrupt and trying to sell a prison while Texas Governor Rick Perry is dropping $11 million in stimulus money to fix the governor's mansion. Okay, I don't see much schadenfreude in the California thing because that's getting scary. But the mansion thing? Seriously? How many unemployed Texans could benefit from that cash? Damn people suck sometimes.

The Weekly Time-Waster. The Headspin Storybook is seriously one of the best time wasters I've found so far. Enjoy.

The Weekly Not-So-Hypothetical. So this week, Congress blocked funding that would allow the Obama administration to close Guantanamo. I totally understand the desire to keep our country safe, to keep bad people - even if they've never been proven to be bad - out. But since we created this problem, isn't it ours to solve? The question is how?

Posted by Chris at May 22, 2009 6:58 AM
Comments

Too bad that most of the countries that these Guantanamo detainees are from don't want them back. Over 60% of the detainees have been declared terrorists by their own countrymen. Sad.
Nope, don't see this problem going away soon.
Meanwhile, have an awesome weekend!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 22, 2009 7:45 AM

Weekly Awesome Thing: I'm jealous, but I hope you enjoy every single minute.

Weekly Activities Planned During Time Off: I have some planting to do and we'll BBQ each day. No other plans, which is perfect for me.

Weekly Schadenfreude: Pathetic. I guess he doesn't plan to walk down any dark alleys.

Posted by: MariaV at May 22, 2009 7:45 AM

Ah, 6 days.
I'd like to squirm with jealousy although a quick finger counts tells me I have 5. So...not bad. I intend to squander them.

Posted by: Jay at May 22, 2009 8:04 AM

Your weekly read always makes me jealous since I haven't had the time to weekly read in I don't even know how long.

Posted by: Writer Dad at May 22, 2009 9:32 AM

I guess I don't understand why these criminals can't be tried in our judicial system and put in our jails right here? Close the prison, keep the military base in Cuba. If you have to hide your actions then they're probably not ethical.

Posted by: Brad at May 22, 2009 10:34 AM

The Texas House, which has a one-seat GOP majority but is controlled by liberal trial lawyers, is trying to embarrass Rick Perry with the mansion stuff.

The Governor's mansion burned down a couple years ago, so it needs to be rebuilt.

Rick Perry is likely to veto it or just get it taken out of appropriations. It is unlikely that stimulus money will rebuild the mansion, in other words. The media really need to check their facts.

Posted by: Texan at May 22, 2009 10:45 AM

I may be starting an argument with this one, but for us (we?) Texans, the arson of the governor's mansion was a big psychological blow if nothing else, and I fully support fixing it. There's been a lot of outrage that they haven't fixed it already.

You'd think that we could figure out a way to do it without using stimulus money, though. Our state hasn't been hit as hard with unemployment and you'd think the economy is still generating enough excess to find $11 million measly dollars. Not that I think that's a small amount of money, because if I had that I'd move to an island and no one would ever hear from me again, but for a state as big as Texas it has to be pretty small.

Rambling comment over...enjoy your time off!

Posted by: Miss Em at May 22, 2009 10:46 AM

The days off, awesome. The schadenfreude...oy. Though Miss Em adds some info that I hadn't known before - that it had been hit by arson. But still...yeah. Oy. :P

Posted by: Heather at May 22, 2009 11:37 AM

I find the whole Guantanamo thing frustrating and hard to understand. Justice means a trial. Of all countries, our country shouldn't be doing this. Tossing someone in a cell and saying they are guilty and did A-Z doesn't make it so.

Remember Saddam, he had weapons of mass destruction. The problem was that he didn't. I see Guantanamo as no different.

Our country made this mess and they need to clean it up. The longer this drags out the worse it will be. How many men will eventually be cleared and released? My take is the majority.

Enjoy the time off with the family. Don't hurt yourself gardening too much this weekend.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at May 22, 2009 12:15 PM

Re the Weekly Time-Waster--these are always so entertaining, but I wonder how in the world you find these things given how busy you are.

Enjoy your time off--it's well-deserved! If you get bored with your yard and kids you can always pop over to Ohio and help us with our bathroom remodel (grouting--woo hoo!)!

Posted by: Liz at May 22, 2009 12:18 PM

Yeah, California...if we'd passed the governor's budget proposals instead of going "Aaaaah! Don't take money from education!!" we'd have fewer cuts to education. Rock on, California! Way to follow up Prop 8. I wish all the people with their heads in their asses would move somewhere else. Yes, we need reform, but we also need a short-term fix. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

Posted by: Brooke at May 22, 2009 12:44 PM

If I had the money I'd go to Texas and vomit all over the governor's mansion.

Also, you're going to need to quit it with these time wasters. One, I don't understand how you find them, two, I don't have enough time for them.

I keep going back to some random game about making sushi though. I think that was the best one.

Posted by: caleal at May 22, 2009 9:47 PM

I have had my husband home all week and it was such a great time for him to get to understand a little more about what goes on in the kids life and gave me a bit of a rest from the running around. Enjoy your week!

Posted by: PlanningQueen at May 23, 2009 8:43 AM

enjoy your 6 days off. lucky ass.
i could totally use 6 days off to work in my yard!

Posted by: kimmyk at May 24, 2009 12:23 PM

Yay! Time off for the Cactus! So nice. ENJOY!

Posted by: Haley-O at May 24, 2009 7:53 PM

Lots of specialists tell that business loans aid a lot of people to live their own way, because they are able to feel free to buy necessary stuff. Moreover, a lot of banks present credit loan for all people.

Posted by: Adrian34Mclean at August 16, 2010 10:38 AM