May 26, 2009

Weekends, Fish and Zombies

DSC_4208copysm.jpg

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel right about now. But hey, at least I'm not going back to work until tomorrow. But what have I done with my five days off?

SDC10315%20copy.sm.jpg
First and foremost, we attended Mia's final day of school on Thursday which was capped off with a musical extravaganza. It was awesome. She was awesome. It seriously seemed like the school year just started. I can't believe it's over.
SDC10326copy.sm.jpg

The majority of the weekend was spent in the yard. We spent a great deal of quality time in the yard, planting things that should be growing and removing things that shouldn't. Unfortunately for us, there was a vast difference between the number of things that needed to be put into the ground and the number of things that needed removing. And in some cases, I think we could have used a machete. You might think I'm exaggerating. I am not. I'm actually surprised we didn't find lost treasure in our yard. Or Jimmy Hoffa. All of this was made much easier by Mia's help which inexplicably involved a snow shovel. We're still unclear on that.

DSC_4202copysm.jpg
We made a few mini-trips, most notably up to Baltimore to hit the aquarium. It was a fantastic day. Mia loved the fish, the frogs, the rays. Owen tolerated the whole thing quite well. Then he collapsed upon arriving home.
SDC10329copysm.jpg
We also caught up on a vast amount of TiVo (finales of Survivor and Lost, a backlog of CSI with some HGTV and Food Network stuff thrown in for good measure). We also finally got around to watching the Netflix movie we've had sitting around for nearly six months (I shit you not). I'm not easily frightened but it had been a while since I'd watched a horror movie. So, 28 Weeks Later freaked my shit out. I was convinced zombies were going to come through the windows in the middle of the night.

Tomorrow, I return to the real world. That's always rough. I have to leave Beth and the kids behind. I trade arguments about going to the bathroom for arguments about client meetings. Both pissing contests. I realize the whole work thing is necessary, but I'd sure love more time hanging out with my family.

What did you guys do with your long weekends?

Posted by Chris at May 26, 2009 8:53 AM
Comments

We got to stay home and away from EVERYONE nursing the mumps. When was the last time you heard the word mumps? Yeah, well, my son mananged to get it even with vaccination. Fun times I swear!!! NOT!

Posted by: Tera at May 26, 2009 9:04 AM

Sounds like a perfect weekend.
We grilled a lot and tackled the mutant weeds in the yard too. (seriously was there some nuclear fallout that is making the weeds so huge this year?)

I;m currently trying to lose weight so I instituted a new plan where every time I am bored or craving something BAD, I get up and clean something. My house has never been cleaner! It's very effective though, gets my mind off eating and gets me to tackle something that needs to be done but keeps getting put off..like cleaning out the pantry, arranging the utensil drawer, cleaning out closets, etc...

Posted by: Lisa at May 26, 2009 9:19 AM

I love that picture of Mia and Owen. I love it when Shepherd and Colette hold hands like that :)

We wound up at the beach this weekend (closer down to Myrtle... I'd rather be at the OBX) which was nice, but it's good to be home!

Posted by: Corinne at May 26, 2009 10:06 AM

We went down to Williamsburg, hung out with family, grilled, boated, shopped, watched my niece crawl for the 1st time :)

Posted by: Sue R at May 26, 2009 10:38 AM

my brain is still cobwebby from the weekend. i took Daya out of NYC for the second time in her little life and went to Connecticut. We painted a dining room and very unexpectedly came home with another cat.

Meow.

Posted by: jessica at May 26, 2009 11:08 AM

Neighbor Hopping a new verb in my vocabulary. We hop to a new neighbor each day with adult beverages and root beer for the kiddos. Neighbor prepares food rather it be take-out or grillables.

Posted by: steff at May 26, 2009 12:06 PM

I too had a great weekend, caught up on TONS of Tivo, watched the two netflixs I have had lying around for a while as well and gardened and read books. Very relaxing weekend.

Posted by: Dee at May 26, 2009 12:10 PM

We did a lot of the same - relaxing, hanging out in the yard, enjoying time together.

That last photo of your kids is so precious!

Posted by: Kimberly at May 26, 2009 12:28 PM

I worked on Memorial Day, so my weekend was just really a weekend, and not long. But hey. Money's money, and it has to come from somewhere.

Posted by: CRah at May 26, 2009 12:31 PM

I also tackled weeds (didn't get around to planting though) - 4 years' worth of overgrowth in our new backyard. My mom came over on Saturday and helped out for 6 hours, and we didn't even finish!

And, I finished up my Netflix that were shipped out in January - not quite 6 months, but pretty darn close. Gandhi was good, by the way.

No trips, and I'm not really caught up on CSI or Law & Order or... all the others that I recorded this season but didn't watch because homework was more important.

The picture of your kids holding hands is very cute. That would be quite hard to leave behind, even if only for 8-ish hours.

Posted by: Kelly at May 26, 2009 2:14 PM

What did I do?

Funny you should ask.

Short version: Nothing thanks to a bank screw up that I couldn't get fixed till Tuesday.

Posted by: Jeff A at May 26, 2009 2:37 PM

I drove many a mile this weekend and walked a couple as well. Went to a wedding in Sacramento (about 140 miles from my home) and walked 45 blocks in San Francisco the next day. And then back and forth, back and forth, back and forth from the bleachers to the locker rooms and back again for the course of an entire hockey game, walking a friend's fussy baby so she could watch her husband play.

In March, I returned 3 movies to Netflix, all of which I'd had for over a year.

Posted by: Judy at May 26, 2009 2:38 PM

You took photos at a child's school play?! PAEDO!

Or at least that's the assumption, it seems, on this side of the pond. I shit you not - you have to either sign a waiver or there's an outright ban on photos/videos at virtually all school pantos, plays, sports days... you name it.

I have not once seen a photo of my little cousin in any of her end-of-term stuff because of the ludicrous legislation and arse-covering over here.

Posted by: Mosh at May 26, 2009 2:49 PM

Those kids fucking had it coming.

Not yours, the zombie's kids.

Your kids are adorable and I want to eat them. Which, I realize, comes off rather zombieish. Sorry.

Have you seen I Am Legend? I watched it through a knitted afghan and still had nightmares.

Posted by: Mr Lady at May 26, 2009 3:10 PM

I spent the weekend pointing out the weeds amidst the flowers for Gay Boyfriend. Did I help pull them? No. I just identified them. I'm ALL help like that.

Posted by: k8 at May 26, 2009 3:35 PM

puppies, puppies, lobster, steak, eggplant parmesan and more puppies.

Posted by: Maribeth at May 26, 2009 3:54 PM

We camped- it was a lot of fun even when it rained. We "hiked" a little (flat trail, at 4 year old speed) and we ate ribs. We visited the cemetary and tried to explain to said 4 year old why it was NOT creepy or scary that we were going to visit Daddy's Mommy. He didn't really buy it.

Posted by: Lisa at May 26, 2009 4:31 PM

i'm not far behind you, with my going-on-three-months netflix rental sitting by the tv. i couldn't even tell you what it is, its been so long since i even looked at it. must. watch. it. soon. just to get the netflix blood flowing again.

as for 28 weeks later. terrifying. and a few weeks ago, lola sneezed in my face and as the droplets hit my eyes, my first thought was that i only had a few seconds before i turned into a zombie :)

Posted by: kati at May 26, 2009 4:59 PM

GREAT pictures!

Posted by: Rebecca at May 26, 2009 8:58 PM

28 Weeks Later was great! I'm not a horror movie fan per se, but since that seems to be more of a, "what could happen due to bio-warfare..." the scare factor increased greatly.

The business I'm in requires 24/7/365 attendance, so...unfortunately I worked this weekend. Glad yours was fun and family filled!

Take care,
JJ

Posted by: JackassJimmy at May 27, 2009 12:26 AM

I love the pictures... especially the one where they're holding hands in their car seats!

Posted by: Nicki at May 27, 2009 2:24 PM

The holding hands photo is KILLING me.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at May 27, 2009 2:34 PM

awwww I remember when my kids used to fall asleep like that, so free and just laying anywhere, LOL. I love the last pic, so loving :)

Posted by: La Petite Belle at May 27, 2009 3:24 PM

Yay for Mia completing the school year! Love the pic of Owen all crashed out -- he looks so relaxed!

And I'm so glad I'm not the only person who keeps Netflix movies way longer than normal.

Posted by: coolchick at May 27, 2009 10:13 PM

Following my own monitoring, millions of persons in the world receive the business loans at various creditors. Thence, there's great possibilities to find a car loan in any country.

Posted by: MclaughlinNatalia at March 8, 2010 2:14 AM