June 8, 2009

Bliss, Or The Weekend

Summer (or near Summer) is apparently the season of weekend that leave you exhausted. Or at least leave me exhausted.

I'm a father but I'm also an uncle. And on Saturday, we went to my niece's birthday party. Mia was the oldest kid, a fact that pretty much thrilled her to no end. Owen was the youngest. He didn't care so long as there were chips he could eat. He also randomly stole cupcakes and shoved them into his mouth. To wash them down, he also pilfered cans of beer. He didn't actually consume any beer, from what I could tell. I don't think it was a lack of opportunity. He's just a beer snob who couldn't be bothered to steal Bud Light.

SDC10399%20copy_sm.jpg

Mia has long wanted to go camping. We thought it best to start with a tent in the backyard. On Saturday night, we camped. Or gave it our best shot. Things were going swimmingly until, around 8:00, Mia realized that I was reasonably serious about actually sleeping. Some of the luster wore off our outdoor adventure. "Daddy, I want to go inside and sleep in my own bed," she said. Thank you sweet baby jesus, I thought to myself. I don't think I said that out loud.
SDC10405%20copy_sm.jpg

On Sunday morning, Mia, Owen and I headed to a local farm to check out some animals and generally get out of Beth's hair for a little while. We had an awesome time. The weather was gorgeous and the place was chock-full of baby animals - baby pigs, baby cows, baby ducks, baby goat. You get the point. Owen was thrilled, pointing at all the animals and yelling his approximation of their names at them. Mia laughed at her brother and was pretty happy about the animals too.
SDC10433%20copy_sm.jpg

We were tired, thirsty and hot so we headed home, saw the grandparents for a little while, then I mowed the yard. Then we all went swimming for, like, a billion hours. And it was good.

We were all a little beat by Sunday night. A little burned, a little beat, and a little better off for the weekend. Ten years ago, had you told me I'd spend a weekend this way, I wouldn't have stared at you in disbelief. I might not have thought it sounded ideal. Times change, you roll with them, and life is good.

Posted by Chris at June 8, 2009 5:59 AM
Comments

It must be the age. Michael has also wanted to go camping for a long time and Michael and Doug did the exact same thing. I don't camp.

Posted by: jodifur at June 8, 2009 7:03 AM

My life is so quiet and lone compared to your life.

Posted by: MariaV at June 8, 2009 7:09 AM

Puppies are 6 weeks old and running me ragged! I am now in a sleep deficit and Hubby says I am cranky. Of course he sleeps just fine while I get up with the babies. Another 6 weeks and they are good to go!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 8, 2009 8:32 AM

Ah, just wait until the kids get involved in sports and the like! Then you'll spend half the weekend running around for that and the other half wondering why you are so tired. I guess we'll all get some rest and the chance to be lazy in about 15 years ;)

Posted by: Elizabeth at June 8, 2009 8:39 AM

Elizabeth is correct - next it will be running everyone around for sports, which sounds like where she is at right now.
Then you will reach my level where they are mobile - either in their own vehicles or being driven around be friends! They will be off and the house will be quiet and you and Beth will look at each other and say "job well done!"
They're all great times!
As for camping - we actually DID go camping. Tented it for a year or two and then moved on to a pop up. It was fun but everyone always woke up way too early! Backyard camping is fun too.

Posted by: NancyJ at June 8, 2009 8:48 AM

Sounds much better than my weekend. I spent it on the couch trying very hard not to barf.

Posted by: Nat at June 8, 2009 8:54 AM

The animal incident sounds similar to an event we went to this weekend, except it was a party at a working farm. My 3yo son got into a cycle of stare-down a cow and then jump at it and laugh hysterically as it startled & ran away. Rinse & repeat. Fortunately, they weren't dairy cattle.

Soft city-kids.

Posted by: harmzie at June 8, 2009 11:30 AM

I went camping once when I was a kid. Yeah not for me! I'm with mia, I want to sleep in my own bed.

Posted by: Dee at June 8, 2009 1:04 PM

What a great weekend. You sound a lot like my husband. He's been taking our twin boys (now 9) on outings since they were 3 months old, just to give me a break.

Camping! He took them camping for the 1st time when they were 4 months old, in a travel trailer, to a state park 10 minutes from home. But, no electric, no sewer, no cable. They've been going ever since. They also tent camp.

My teacher friend is off in the summer, so she & I take the boys camping...in a travel trailer...WITH electric, sewer, cable and AIR. We love it.

I camped with my husband before kids...now just the thought of it scares me more than crickets!

Posted by: DeLurking Di at June 8, 2009 1:21 PM

Sounds like a perfectly lovely weekend. We've done the camping in the back yard thing too. We haven't graduated to camping at the provincial park yet. Probably a good thing, because Rae is still a little freaked out by the sleeping in a tent thing and we only have about a .500 batting average for actually sleeping out there all night.

Posted by: alison at June 8, 2009 3:40 PM

Ahhhhhh camping. I figure if we stay in the city long enough, my little bean will never know what camping is.

Posted by: DCUrbanDad at June 8, 2009 4:25 PM

Sounds like a great weekend to me!

Posted by: lisa at June 8, 2009 4:39 PM

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! And I often feel the same way about camping as Mia does - this is fun and all, but I want my bed and a shower at the end of the day!

Posted by: Heather at June 8, 2009 5:49 PM