June 4, 2009

Life in 140 Characters

I was cruising through my archives the other day and realized that my blog has turned out much different than the way it started. It began as brief snippets of my life, reporting from the front lines, if you will. Then, at some point, there was a subtle shift. I mean, it's still all about me because I'm a narcissistic bastard - don't expect that to change - but the posts became slightly less bite-sized, more feature articly. And they started to show up daily, not just two or three times a week. Sometimes I wonder if I write too much. Not too often but too much. I wonder if you look at the big block of text and say well, hell, I can't get through all that.

So in a fit of spontaneity and desire to express myself in small random nuggets, I jumped on the Twitter bandwagon. You know, Me, Ashton, Oprah, Rush Limbaugh, Jenna Jameson...we're all tight in the Twitterverse. Except Jenna. No one would ever describe her as tight. Anyhoo, some days when I've had quite a lot of coffee, I'm pretty active in Twitterland. Other days - when it becomes apparent that I'm really a truly boring person without much to say - I'm quiet. People who know me know that I might appear quiet but I'm actually quite verbose. The Twitter restriction of 140 characters is, therefore, tough for me. But it's gotten me thinking, if I had to summarize my life, say something really important about myself in 140 characters, what would it be?

Attempt 1 (134 characters): Dad, husband, all around good guy and liberal commie with midget hang-up, coffee, book and music addiction and overactive imagination.

Attempt 2 (137 characters): I think therefore I am. Unfortunately, I have delusions of grandeur. Along with the occasional dream featuring Dana Plato. Who’s dead.

Attempt 3 (135 characters): Like most guys, I think with a combination of brain and penis. It’s sad that my penis seems smarter. Where was my penis for the SATs?

I think out of all this - whether you prefer me in bite sized chunks or long-winded essays - I'm most gratified that so many of you guys stop by and read. And that so many of my readers have been following me for so long. So, thanks.

Now, how would you describe yourself in 140 characters? Give it a shot.

Posted by Chris at June 4, 2009 6:03 AM
Comments

Attempt 1 (137 characters) Writer who loves retail therapy, Coke Zero, real butter, lipgloss, my Crackberry, sparkly things, the sun, & a daily dose of inspiration.

Attempt 2 (134 characters) Loves to cook, write, and shop - not necessarily in that order. Mother to 7 goats, 2 cats and 1 miniature donkey. Only Jew in my town.

ps Felt like writing a personal ad.

pps I like feature articly blogs.

ppps Is there a Blogging Hall of Fame? Because the Dana Plato reference deserves a spot.

Posted by: Country Girl at June 4, 2009 6:30 AM

I'm the Crazy eighty-eights, the twelve apostles and the forty thieves all wrapped up into one. That's me in a hundred and forty characters. (140 characters)

Posted by: LeSombre at June 4, 2009 7:25 AM

Hates messes, canceled plans and things that are loud. Loves summer heat, PB and J sandwiches and friends who know what you're going to say before you say it. (130 Characters)

I used my Twitter description. Is that cheating?

P.S. I love that you tweet. It's sort of like getting your old posts, and when read in conjunction with the blog - it's the perfect combination of old and new. (Not that you're old. Or new. Confusing? Sorry.)

Posted by: Emily at June 4, 2009 8:49 AM

A Complex, Independent, Lonely, Honest, Friendly, Fiercely Loyal, Passionate, Organized, Family Oriented, Educated, Hard-Working Love Bug!

Posted by: Dee at June 4, 2009 9:18 AM

I know I haven't been here in awhile (it's me, not you, blah blah blah). But I honestly don't think Twittering would cut it. What about all the cute pictures? And the conversations? Nah. You're one of those Bloggers I never mind reading. You know, when I actually find the time to read. ;)

Posted by: Tink at June 4, 2009 10:08 AM

A dreamer and not the only one, devoted wife, lover of cats, loyal friend, adorer of music and literature, activist, liberal, intelligent.

Posted by: Arwen at June 4, 2009 10:14 AM

Mt Dew addict, vampire lover, mom of 4 crazy girls, internet junkie, musician in training, classic car obsessee, lover and fighter in one.

That was kind of hard...and I like your long "feature article" posts ;)

Posted by: Kris at June 4, 2009 10:15 AM

pink haired mama of stinky and princess ruffle butt. tends to lean more towards "britney" parenting. has mad mama skillz.

Posted by: SUPAHMAMA! at June 4, 2009 10:31 AM

PhD student, married with one dog, likes to knit, cook, dance, and read. I also enjoy spending time with my family and friends. (126 characters)

Wow, that was tough!!

Enjoy your tweets and your blog posts...

Posted by: Krush at June 4, 2009 10:32 AM

Happily Married, Mom, opinionated, giving, fixer, moody, very liberal.

For the record, I don't why anyone even wants to tweet.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at June 4, 2009 10:41 AM

Coffee hasn't kicked in and I hate writing about myself.

But, since I'm here, I thought I should at least recommend someone to follow.

I think you'd get along well. Maybe it's the midget hang-up.

Posted by: Krystyn at June 4, 2009 11:12 AM

Neurotic lawyer with a husband who loves me from 2,000 miles away.

Posted by: alektra at June 4, 2009 11:16 AM

Oh crap, pretend you don't see him, maybe he will go away! Is he still there? Oh damn it, now he's looking at us, run everyone run! (131 characters)

Posted by: Jeff A at June 4, 2009 11:21 AM

20 something crazy-in-love shoe addict with a passion for cooking, horses, photography, reading and the outdoors.

113 characters. That was hard! There was something else I wanted to add, but it would have been over 140...balls!

Posted by: Dianna at June 4, 2009 12:25 PM

Living a good life as long as there are friends, food, booze, movies, a piano, a Nikon D40, and fast internet connection.

Posted by: oakley at June 4, 2009 12:49 PM

Forty-something frustrated creative woman with identity crisis and self-esteem issues. Left-handed opinionated liberal mother with big heart.

Posted by: english thorn at June 4, 2009 12:54 PM

I love your long posts. Keep them coming.

I am not on the twitter bandwagon and have no idea how to describe myself, circumstances, etc. in 140 characters. Does that include spaces?

Posted by: debb at June 4, 2009 1:32 PM

I love your long posts. Keep them coming.

Posted by: debb at June 4, 2009 1:32 PM

I love your long posts. Keep them coming.

Posted by: debb at June 4, 2009 1:32 PM

I love you in 140 and 1400 characters! That got me thinking, how many characters of Rude Cactus have I read all these years..hmmm.

Posted by: Nadine at June 4, 2009 2:47 PM

Jenna Jameson...not tight...Bwahahahahaha! Still wiping coffee from my monitor where I spat it upon reading that line.
Excellent.

Posted by: Wack-a-do at June 4, 2009 4:16 PM

'Except Jenna. No one would ever describe her as tight.'

See, it's quips like that that keep me coming back for more.

I can almost ALWAYS count on you for a chuckle. LOL
:o)

Oh, and I echo what Nadine said!

Posted by: Jen at June 4, 2009 4:24 PM

Me in 140:

I am a: Girl. Geekish. 30 something. NASCAR-loving, beagle-owning, pen/paper fetish having, writer-wannabe. All about roadtrips and reading.

Posted by: Amy at June 4, 2009 6:37 PM

Smart girl finally got her shit together post ex bailout plans to walk in commencement ceremony and kick exhusband ass mentally for 3 hours. (140 characters)

If I had characters to title that ..I'd call it "happy little diddy 2009"

Posted by: Kristy at June 4, 2009 6:57 PM

psych student, songwriter, depressed, but happy, most of the time... Believer, beloved, sister, friend, daughter, granddaughter, and pretty well made of awesome

(from my Twitter description, which is actually apparently 160 :P)

Posted by: Heather at June 4, 2009 7:32 PM

...just another wife / mom / engineer who looked out upon the overcrowded marketplace and said, "Me, too!" (from my twitter bio. AND my blog bio. And, um... The Simpsons. 106 ch)

Posted by: harmzie at June 4, 2009 8:20 PM

Momma to three, trying not to be "that" mom, but still want to be a hot mom, oh yea and a band director, race theorist, wife and chef.

Posted by: nora at June 4, 2009 9:10 PM

Dano Plato's dead? I didn't know that....

Attempt 3 cracked me up!!

Let's try:

Unemployed DWF in a happy relationship who wishes she could be paid big bucks to cuddle with her adorable Chi-a-poo puppy all day long while eating Spree Candy Canes. Also enjoys riding motorcycles on warm summer days with good friends. Wishes she could afford to eat Sushi and duck more often too!

Posted by: Rose Winters at June 5, 2009 12:11 AM

I deleted my Twitter account. If I really want to have a blow by blow account of my day, I'll keep a Notepad file - which I occasionally do when really bored. But the fact that I wasn't really sharing any pertinent information - or sharing information that I wouldn't normally share in real life - made me realize it was a waste of time.

Yes, there are some people who will put down big blocks of text that I'll skim or ignore. Haven't encountered either of those with you, though.

Posted by: Hannah at June 5, 2009 8:34 AM

Over sexed under satisfied sensory junkie wanderlust nature loving gypsy wanna-be tripping over my emotions daily

Posted by: Karen at June 11, 2009 4:22 AM

I think that to receive the credit loans from banks you should present a firm reason. But, one time I've got a term loan, because I wanted to buy a car.

Posted by: MendozaCatalina at February 17, 2011 2:01 AM