June 15, 2009

The Weekend, And Pod-Children

I caught a break - a quiet day - and worked from home on Friday. While I worked, while I sat on seemingly endless conference calls, and while Mia attended her last day of summer camp at her preschool, Owen got his hair cut. You might remember that the first time was traumatic for all of us, especially Owen. He reportedly took it a little better this time. But I didn't. Look at my insanely cute boy. And notice I said boy, not baby. Where did the time go?

oman_haircut_small.jpg

We spent pretty much the rest of the weekend working in the yard or hanging out at the pool. We took some breaks to eat, to pee, to nap and sleep. As a matter of fact, we spent a wonderful evening with Clementine, Oscar and their parents.

The weekend ended when aliens invaded the planet - or at least my little corner of Virginia - and replaced my daughter with, well, someone else. The girl with a diet limited to peanut butter, crackers, the occasional apple and a rare splash of cheese decided that she would tackle tofu. And she did. With an abandon formerly reserved for ice cream and frosting on cupcakes. And then she shared her ice cream - her reward for the unexpected tofu consumption - with her brother.

DSC_4274%20copy_small.jpg

So, uh, how were your weekends? And what, precisely, do you think came over my daughter? Have you seen her?

Posted by Chris at June 15, 2009 6:18 AM
Comments

Is that Owen's glass of wine with a side of juice there in front of him? Maybe that's what came over Mia! Just kidding.... Owen's hair is adorable. Thank you for not letting him be one of those boys with shoulder length hair.

Posted by: coolchick at June 15, 2009 6:31 AM

What a great smile...he's adorable.

I'm impressed, I've been trying for years to get my friends to eat tofu with no luck. Did you feed her the asian-style tofu salad from Whole Foods? Cause that stuff is amazing.

Posted by: tutugirl1345 at June 15, 2009 7:31 AM

He looks like such a big boy with his new haircut. That last photo is priceless.

I did very little this weekend. I worked 13-15 hour days last week and I'm still feeling it this morning.

Posted by: MariaV at June 15, 2009 7:35 AM

You know, the usual puppy care, puppy running, puppy playing, puppy feeding. Oh yes and husband feeding too.
Wow! Mia is into tofu? Amazing. I love it and yet, I am allergic to bean curd. Who'd have thought?
I tried an idea I had for barbecued ribs. I had this feeling that if I made baby-backs like this...they would be good. They weren't just good. They were melt in your mouth great!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 15, 2009 8:00 AM

And I love Owen's haircut!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 15, 2009 8:01 AM

Oh Owen, those eyes, that smile....you'd better warn all the local girls to hide their hearts in the coming years. He's going to be a major heartbreaker!

Posted by: LaineyDid at June 15, 2009 8:08 AM

Wow, great news on Mia eating tofu, aren't kids bizarre? Owen's haircut looks great.

We continued adjusting back to real life post wedding and honeymoon, and did lots of cooking and baking.

Posted by: Katherine at June 15, 2009 8:27 AM

Owen is so darned cute! And he looks like a boy! I hate it when I can only tell a toddler girl and boy apart by what color of clothing they're wearing.

As for Mia and tofu? Dude...that is one wild 180! I highly recommend throwing all sorts of foods at her (not literally, of course) and telling her they are all as yummy as tofu. You never know. She might develop a love for brussel sprouts. Ick.

Posted by: Theresa at June 15, 2009 8:42 AM

It must be something in the air, because my Owen, who would previously eat only yogurt, crackers and the occasional applesauce, has turned into an eating MACHINE. Suddenly, he's more than willing to eat anything and everything we're eating, including the previously reviled potato.

Enjoy your pod children. Tomorrow they may be something different!

Posted by: Becky at June 15, 2009 9:03 AM

Your boy Owen - not your baby anymore- is adorable. I think Mia is just trying to match cuteness. I say success. I remember the first time my kids asked for sushis. ;-)

My kids are growing too. We took the last car seat out last week, and this weekend we went shopping for new bicycles (bigger and now with gears).

Posted by: LeSombre at June 15, 2009 9:20 AM

I don't know what came over her, because it will never come over me.

Posted by: k8 at June 15, 2009 10:41 AM

mmmm... pod children. It's always a great day when they show up. But then whatever entity that took them realizes "wtf is THIS?!!" and returns them. Usually promptly. Why just last night, my sweet boy went from an unprompted "I love you mommy!" and "I'm happy at you mommy" (accompanied with enough hugs and kisses to explode my heart) to spinning head/peasoup spewing in about 30 seconds flat - right in front of my eyes.

Those purveyors of the pod work fast.

Posted by: harmzie at June 15, 2009 12:31 PM

Weekend is a blur. Shopping with the hubby as all his weight loss meant he was way overdue for some new clothes. Hours shopping with him on Saturday and some dinner.

Sat in the Hot Tub all weekend in between storms. 7 days in a row of pouring rain, hail and tornadoes in the area. Looking forward to a heat wave that is sure to come our way soon.

Sunday, we spent most of the day in the garage. A shelf had fallen and we had to fix it. Next was putting our son's new bike together.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at June 15, 2009 12:42 PM

You want to talk about Alien Preschoolers?

Yesterday morning I did not feel like cooking, and we all have to live a little, so my daughter got a bowl of cocoa puffs for breakfast.

And she decided that cocoa puffs are "too yucky for me!"

Very, very strange.

Posted by: jessica at June 15, 2009 2:44 PM

Holy tooth!! Look at his mouth! How did that happen! And he is cute!

Yay for tofu love!

Posted by: Nadine at June 15, 2009 3:24 PM

the pain... my ovaries are in is astounding...

Posted by: stinkerbell at June 16, 2009 1:23 PM