June 26, 2009

The Weeklies #91

The Weekly Rallying Cry. Neda.

The Weekly Stupid Product, Or At Least I Think It Is But I Don't Have Boobs So Who Knows. KUSH Support. Yes, finally - an in-cleavage breast support system.

The Weekly Time Waster. Little Wheel.

The Weekly Read. Lisa Lutz strikes again with Curse of the Spellmans, her second novel overall and the second in the Spellman series. Lutz is just plain awesome. And so are the Spellmans, the family of private investigators who populate her novels. They're fun, quirky, zany, silly, and incredibly well-written. What's odd is that they're funny but they also have a great deal of heat and at their core there's a really good, serious mystery. While their styles are different, the most logical person to compare Lutz to is Marshall Karp.

The Weekly Celebrity Death Trifecta. Michael Jackson, Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. It's honestly a toss-up between Jon and Kate and South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford. Dumbasses, all three of them.

The Weekly Terrible Customer Service. A homeowner in the DC area was more than a little frustrated with Verizon. He followed the Verizon tech to his van, blocked his attempt to leave then finally relented. Until the Verizon guy put his van in gear. The homeowner reached into the van's open window, grabbed the steering wheel, then fell. He later died. Can you haunt me now?

The Weekly Hypothetical. If you had to come up with a last-minute hypothetical question on your day off when you slept late and can't think of anything, what would it be?

Posted by Chris at June 26, 2009 8:17 AM
Comments

I'd love to help you on the weekly hypothetical, but I can't get past the KUSH support thingy. I mean honestly, I do have boobs and I can't figure it out!

Posted by: Elizabeth at June 26, 2009 8:31 AM

Weekly Stupid Product: I can help you with this one. Uh ... NO! It does not look at all comfortable.

Weekly Hypothetical: Which songs do you most associate with your childhood and why? Sorry, Chris. My brain is fried already.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: MariaV at June 26, 2009 8:47 AM

If you could go back in time and prevent one major event from taking place, what would it be?

Posted by: Maribeth at June 26, 2009 8:47 AM

I am so glad to see you recommend Lisa Lutz! I love her & I've passed her books around to everyone I know. The Spellmans are awesome.

Posted by: Becky at June 26, 2009 8:51 AM

I read a great commentary about Neda. It went along the lines of something like this. She is NOT the first woman to die in this fight. Americans are obsessed with her because she's so beautiful and died so tragically. What about all the other women who weren't so striking? They're dead too. Where were you then? I hear that.

Posted by: k8 at June 26, 2009 9:38 AM

Weekly hypothetical: All three celebrities that passed this week were talented in their own right. Why do you think the media coverage has gone to Michael Jackson and not Ed McMahon or Farrah Fawcett? Which one would you rather have met / had dinner with when they were alive?

Posted by: Krush at June 26, 2009 11:55 AM

To Krush - I think it went to Jackson because he was not aged or particularly physically ill, and thus his death is more shocking. Also, he's always had more media coverage in life.
I am somewhat intrigued by the boob support thing, only because side sleeping with gravity sometimes kinda sucks :P But really, I don't see how it could actually be comfortable, or stay put. (And it makes me think of Koosh balls!)
Oh - and my weekly read this week was Flipping Out! :D

Posted by: Heather at June 26, 2009 12:51 PM

Okay, my vote is definitely for Sanford.

Also, that KUSH thing? Just say no. I've got "the goods" and there's JUST NO WAY. Uh uh.

Posted by: Wendy at June 26, 2009 2:32 PM

Would you rather slide down a razorblade bannister into a bucket of iodine or suck the snot out of a dog's nose til his head caved in?

Also, thanks for the book rec. I've been looking for something to fill the Karpster gap. A year? Are you fucking kidding me? [sigh]

Posted by: harmzie at June 26, 2009 4:34 PM

OMG!! I just *looked* at the KUSH thing. I think it was designed by a perv who figured that was a good way to stick things between women's breasts in the development phase. The marketing is only to cover off the costs of his "development".

I might be more inclined to be intrigued if, perhaps, they vibrated...

Posted by: harmzie at June 26, 2009 5:05 PM

That KUSH support looks painful to me. Being rather well-endowed, I don't think I could sleep with that contraption...my boobs would be under my armpits.

Posted by: Theresa at June 26, 2009 5:32 PM

ok, before my reduction, I had DDD breasts. There were HUGE. I kind of understand the kush. Not anymore. But back then? Yeah. Each boob weight a ton and it pulled on my shoulder. Also, not to be too TMI, but I think it would be nice on a really hot night. 'nuff said.

Posted by: jodi at June 26, 2009 5:40 PM

Firstly, the Kush? Anything that kept those babies still when I was pregnant would have been ok by me. They were really sore, and everytime I rolled over at night the pain would wake me up. That said, it wasn't the whole pregnancy, and probably not enough to base a whole product on, but who knows?

Also, hypothetical: If you were living in Iran and could see your democracy slipping away, would you brave the snipers and thugs on bikes and be out there protesting? I fear it takes more balls that I have - I am in awe of those who are out there each day.

Posted by: Jo MacD at June 26, 2009 6:38 PM

Weekly hypothetical: What does it take to even make someone come up with the idea for the KUSH let alone exactly execute? And who the Hell funded this thing? And who actually buys it? (smacks head in disbelief)

Posted by: Country Girl at June 27, 2009 3:39 AM

If the KUSH thing vibrated too, would they sell more of them? Doesn't America love a multi-tasker?

Posted by: Lisa V at June 27, 2009 2:26 PM

if you put your kid (OK, MINE) in a forest and walk away, does her yammering on and on make anyone commit suicide??

Posted by: Wendy at LetTheDogIn at June 29, 2009 11:02 AM

Posted by: Wendy at LetTheDogIn at June 29, 2009 11:02 AM

Posted by: Wendy at LetTheDogIn at June 29, 2009 11:04 AM

Posted by: Wendy at LetTheDogIn at June 29, 2009 11:38 AM

If you leave your kid in the woods (ok, MINE) alone, will her yammering on and on make a sound or make someone commit suicide?

Posted by: Wendy at LetTheDogIn at June 29, 2009 2:20 PM

And then Billy Mays. Pretty bizarre.

Posted by: Heather at June 29, 2009 2:57 PM