July 13, 2009

The Second Time Around

Mia is nothing if not a motor-mouth who seemingly grasps any concept easily despite asking why every three and a half seconds. She is vastly independent and were it not for the world opposing her in the form of things just out of her reach, I'm sure she'd be happy to leave her parents in the dust, find the car keys, and head into the world without us. Luckily she's still short.

Her brother is not far behind her.

Owen can talk. Granted, you have to pay attention and make a lot of allowances. He's fascinated with animals and the noises they make. He has a fondness for milk he's not reluctant to express. His favorite word is probably no which doesn't bode well, though half the time he actually means yes. This is something of a problem but we're working past it. He has figured out the phone and occasionally calls China. He is obsessed with getting the batteries out of the remote control. He climbs on everything, necessitating the wide use of bungie cords throughout our house, mainly to keep furniture from being climbed upon and Owen from swinging off the ceiling fans. He loves dogs, cars, sneezing, and his penis, not necessarily in that order. He's figured out how to give kisses and doles them out constantly much to the chagrin of his sister who is most often the recipient.

My point? Mia did all these things (except for the penis thing, of course) but as a parent, you forget the little little things. In fact, watching Owen grow up and develop has make me realize just how many things about Mia's early life I've forgotten.

I want to invent some sort of life recorder. Like, it'll capture thoughts, sounds, sights, memories, everything as you encounter them. Then ten, twenty, fifty years down the road you can go back to that precise moment and see it, feel it, experience it, just as it played out before. That way you'll never forget your daughter's reaction when you shoveled gazpacho into her mouth for the first time or the feel of the slobber running down your cheek when your son gave you his very first kiss. Or the time your daughter tackled your son in order to thoroughly kiss him while she wore a bicycle helmet. No, wait, you've got that on film.

DSC_4387.copy.jpg

Posted by Chris at July 13, 2009 6:27 AM
Comments

Oh I know what you mean. It all goes by in a flash. I was looking at pictures this past weekend of Mandy and Katie and I was shocked. Mandy is 32 now and all grown up! (I, of course, haven't changed a bit! lol!)

Posted by: Maribeth at July 13, 2009 7:09 AM

this is too cute. and so true. i have forgotten so much and it's sad when i think about it.

Posted by: la petite belle at July 13, 2009 7:15 AM

Ah yes, the "whys" and the kiss slobber. I miss that. Enjoy them while you can...

Posted by: Theresa at July 13, 2009 8:09 AM

I think they did invent something like that...it's called a video camera. But unless you want to create a world like "The Truman Show" for Mia and Owen, you must try your best to remember on your own.

They just get cuter everytime you post a picture.

Posted by: Krush at July 13, 2009 8:45 AM

It's hard (maybe impossible) to remember the cute things your children did. But every once in a while, something will happen that sparks your memory and gives you a big smile.

Why haven't we written down all the cute things they say and do?
I guess we're too busy living the moment.

Posted by: cassie-b at July 13, 2009 9:27 AM

That picture is priceless.

Posted by: William at July 13, 2009 9:53 AM

That photo is sweet.

Isn't your blog partly your life recorder?

Posted by: MariaV at July 13, 2009 10:05 AM

Aw...I know exactly what you mean since mine are so darn old now...but I guess that is why we have grandchildren! Brings you right back!

I love that Mia tackled him for a slobbery kiss! ROFL

Posted by: Gypsy at July 13, 2009 10:07 AM

They grow so fast...I wish I had more videos of Daya when she was tiny.

BTW your recommendation of Taller Children...FABULOUS. What a fantastic album. Has quickly become one of my favourites. Am waiting anxiously for your next top pick.

Posted by: jessica at July 13, 2009 10:15 AM

OMG...Love this pic. Reminds me of my two. I agree with the memory thing. There are certain memories from my youngest's first year I can only trigger with a picture. (nasty medicine)

Also, thought Beth might like to see this site....http://www.bettybeauty.com

It's pretty cool and humerous at the same time. I am sending you the info to check out since we all know your facination with all things adult.

Posted by: debb at July 13, 2009 5:53 PM

Also, thought Beth might like to see this site....http://www.bettybeauty.com

Posted by: debb at July 13, 2009 5:53 PM

I hear audioblogs work wonders....

Posted by: alektra at July 14, 2009 12:36 PM

Your really hot facts connecting with this topic must be free for all people, just because they require custom thesis and good custom dissertation or just thesis sentences.

Posted by: Megan34 at January 26, 2010 3:23 PM